DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Help For Newer Players - Tracking for Quests

imagery

New Magician
Hi, as someone whos a new player and talked to new and older players about this, I think something should definitely be done to help newer players. Currently, the tutorial is alright. It helps teach people understand the basics of the system for the game, but that's about it. I think that certain parts of the tutorial should be more specific, such as how spells functionality works in the inventory. One thing that was really helpful in the tutorial was the particle effect on the ground which led you to where you needed to be to continue. This functionality would be an amazing feature to add for quests, such as a "tracking" function that you could enable/disable with your quest book, which enables particles to lead you to specific locations that are near impossible to find on your own as a new player when starting. This would definitely cause players to continue playing after the tutorial, because they would not have to keep asking the chat for help, which sometimes comes easy and sometimes doesn't. It is very hard to describe how to get across the entire school over chat, and would eliminate the high amount of new players who get lost then eventually just give up if they can't find it or get someone to show them the way. The particle system could just lead from the great hall to the location the quest specifies, so the system would not have to be set up to change due to your location, which would be a lot easier to set up! The only reason I suggest this despite having the /map function and occasional coordinates supplied, is because those features simply don't help most of the time with something as complicated as a Hogsworth castle. The map function mainly helps with general parts of the castle, but not inside the castle. Coordinates are easy to follow if what you need is outside, but if it is on a specific floor, is is very difficult to get to these areas without knowing how to navigate the castle. I would love to hear feedback on this suggestion on ways to make it better, or alternate suggestions to help new players out. Its very disheartening to see so many people excited to try but just get too lost.

Callie

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: ProbsAMistake
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
Heya! So I really like this idea, the only issue I could see is that it takes away from the exploration aspect of the update, which is one of the major things I think it was striving for. I definitely agree that going places like the castle (which is for new players/lower levels) can be confusing even with coordinates. Maybe they could do it for a portion of the beginner quests while you get used to coordinates? (Maybe the Year 1 quests) Overall, great idea!

imagery

New Magician
Heya! So I really like this idea, the only issue I could see is that it takes away from the exploration aspect of the update, which is one of the major things I think it was striving for. I definitely agree that going places like the castle (which is for new players/lower levels) can be confusing even with coordinates. Maybe they could do it for a portion of the beginner quests while you get used to coordinates? (Maybe the Year 1 quests) Overall, great idea!
Thats almost exactly what I was thinking! I agree exploration is definitely a key aspect of the fun for the game, but I agree that maybe it should only be for Year 1 just to get the players awareness of direction in the castle established :) Then after, they can play find what they need on their own from there!

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Hello @imagery,
Thanks a lot for your suggestion! I will bring this up to the rest of the Poltergeist Team and we will get back to you with a decision.
Have a great day!

Joshios

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Joshios
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Although this isn't exactly your suggestion, recently a new npc called "Scarlett" that is located in the Great Hall can teleport you to a lot of important places around the castle! I'm sure this is a step closer to making it easier for newer players.

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Heya again @imagery,

Thanks again for taking the time to bring this suggestion up to us! However, we will unfortunately be declining it because it would cause a lot of server-side issues. We do not want to add a ton of interactions to these quests, due to the sheer effort this would take and particles just would not work out due to the aforementioned server issues. However, we are currently working on things to better exploration and to generally help players find locations around the world. There is also an alternative in the works to your idea for first year quests as particles are not an option. For the time being, players can use the Scarlett NPC to help with directions for certain Hogsworth locations.

I hope this is not too disappointing and does not discourage you from making further suggestions, as we really appreciate them!
Thanks again and have a wonderful day <3