DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Hidden Chests

nathan1e

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: nathan1e
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Hi,

I've got some ideas for hidden chests that I would like to put forward. I won't compare the current hidden chest system to the old one, as that wouldn't be fair; the server's changed too much for that to make sense. Instead, I'd simply like to look at how hidden chests work right now, and see which features work well, and which features work less well, in my opinion.

Currently, the hidden chests have varying probabilities of giving a player some of the following items:
- Any mob drop (including gear & broom recipes)
- Fire dust
- Profession items (plants, potions & food)
I'm completely fine with the first 2 of those being given by hidden chests, but I think that the last one is misplaced, and I think it should be replaced by other items. I will first explain why I think profession items shouldn't be in hidden chests, and then I will suggest a few alternatives.

Profession items in chests
Personally I just think that the inclusion of such items in chests discourage players from actually doing the professions. Since profession rewards were removed, the only thing players can obtain from doing professions are the profession items themselves. But if there is an easier alternative to learning professions (namely, simply pulling them out of a chest), then why would anyone bother with that? (Except if you're making a nice spreadsheet detailing certain gameplay elements of PW, but let's not get into that rn)
Does anyone ever actually actively harvest plants, cook food or brew potions? I don't really think so.
At this point, I do not believe a lot of people are motivated to do professions and I think the inclusion of profession items in chests plays a huge role in that. I think that, in favor of players actually crafting their profession items, it would be best to remove those items from chests.

Right, so let's look at some alternatives for profession items.

Choco-hop cards
Okay, I know I said that I wouldn't compare the current chest system with the old one, but I find this a plausible suggestion for an alternative. Those cards made up quite a considerable part of the marketplace, loads of people were buying and selling them. However, right now I find that the card market is pretty dead. I still have a lot of cards in my shopkeeper from chest runs before revelius, but they simply won't sell whereas before revelius, players would occasionally buy cards from me.
I also feel like current players don't really know that these cards exist in the game. There's not a lot of promotion for them, they're hidden away in a random small shop in Hogsend, and unless players stumble upon this shop or happen to find it in the marketplace, I don't think there's any way for them to find out they exist, let alone get the motivation to start collecting them. I feel like the inclusion of choco-hop cards will once again advertise the collecting of these cards, which I think will be good for the marketplace.

Exploration badges
This is a new idea, so if this were to be accepted, the actual items would have to be implemented in the game as well.
Basically, the idea is that chests of a certain year have a very small chance of giving a special item - an exploration badge.
This would be based on a specific location that's linked to said year. So for instance year 6 chests would have a very small chance of giving the "Ireland Exploration Badge" or the "Wigtown Exploration Badge". (Since Ireland and Wigtown are the year 6 locations.)

The item itself would just have the PW coin texture.

So basically what my idea behind this was, is that if there is a very rare series of collectables that is only obtainable through hidden chests, then people are going to want to be doing chest runs, as it adds a challenge to the server to get a complete set of these collectables. And there would finally be a concrete reward to exploration, something that really can only be unlocked through exploration.

So yeah, that's my ideas on hidden chests. I of course hope this will be implemented, but until then, I'd love to hear from y'all what you think, and if you maybe have yet another idea for what could potentially replace profession items in hidden chests.

Last edited:

Joshios

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Joshios
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I would like to mention that chests now have a chance to give gold. It varies based on the level of a chest and a tier of a chest.

This was requested by a lot of players, and it is better balanced than pre-Revelius. There are still the regular items in the chest too.

Last edited:

nathan1e

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: nathan1e
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I would like to mention that chests now have a chance to give gold. It varies based on the level of a chest and a tier of a chest.

This was requested by a lot of players, and it is better balanced than pre-Revelius. There are still the regular items in the chest too.
Thank you for telling me! I'm quite disappointed that I didn't know this already, but you're absolutely right...

I've edited the original suggestion to remove the notion of gold being included in chests. After all, it makes very little sense to suggest something that is already implemented :p

MamaDuckie

Head of Media
Head Staff
Staff
Minecraft IGN: MamaDuckie
Staff Head Staff Raven
'ello and thank you for your suggestion! I'm going to bring this up with the team for discussion! Will return to you with a decision soon!

MamaDuckie

Head of Media
Head Staff
Staff
Minecraft IGN: MamaDuckie
Staff Head Staff Raven
Hello and once again thank you for your suggestion! Unfortunately, we will be declining it at this time. For bringing back Choco Hop cards to hidden chests, we would rather have them be bought since it makes more sense in doing this. In regards to the ‘exploration badge’, while we liked the idea, this would take quite a while to implement, as we could put those resources elsewhere and since we’re currently focused on other content right now. However, we’ll keep this idea in mind.

We hope to hear more from you in the future!