DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Improve OOB Boundaries

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: luckiestblock
Honeybadger
These are the current Out of Bounds (OOB) boundaries for the map illustrated here in this terribly made example. The red line shows APPROXIMATELY where a message comes up that says something like "HEY! You are not permitted to leave this area." and you are pushed back, preventing you from going further. This obviously means the islands containing Ireland, The Dark Prison, and Greenshore Harbor are secluded and you can only access them by floo or boat which I know frustrates some people because they want to go these islands without having to pay the toll :D .
Revelius OOB Boundaries.png

What I would suggest is that the boundaries would be remade like the map below. This would mean you could successfully fly from Greenshore to the mainland to Ireland and back all without having to spend a penny. (I am no GD but) This seems relatively easy to implement because if you could glitch outside the boundaries you would see that the islands are in the exact spot they appear on the map, they are not on separate worlds, there is just an arbitrary force in between them which I would like to get rid of. :)
Proposed OOB Boundaries.png

Last edited:

Somnambulist

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Psycho
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
My guess is that the current boundary lines are there so players won't overlook a quest that lets them travel from the mainland to another island. Plus it adds a bit of realism by travelling through boat.

kiarralish

Magician
Minecraft IGN: kiarralish
Auralock Dark Follower Raven
While I do enjoy this idea, I myself have not gotten the chance to visit some of these places because of my lower level, it seems as though those boundaries were placed in their spots for a reason. It most likely would have to do with the quest/rp aspect of the game. You have to unlock a means of travel to get to those places just like you would in real life (well, real life with magicfolk that is). These barriers could also be in place to keep lower level players from travelling to, and getting stuck, in higher level areas such as Ireland or Greenshore Harbour. All in all, I think these borders create an extra fun incentive for the player to level up so that they will be able to see all of the map!

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Honeybadger
You have to unlock a means of travel to get to those places just like you would in real life (well, real life with magicfolk that is). These barriers could also be in place to keep lower level players from travelling to, and getting stuck,
I want to say that I sympathize with your view point a lot, travel not making logical sense in a world sucks, being trapped in an area with high lvl mobs that can one shot you sucks. But it is the price you have to pay for a fully connected, open world style, map which is what we (or at least I) were promised. "All of the story locations are now connected in one massive world! You can fly .... using your broom, without any teleportation!". Connecting these islands to the mainland is not just the right thing to do, it is the fulfillment of the promise of a truly connected map of which these islands are the exception of.

Last edited:

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Hello and thank you for your suggestion luckiestblock!
I will now discuss your idea with the rest of the Poltergeist Team and we will get back to you once a decision has been made.
Have a wonderful day!

Mallaidh

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: scarvlover
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Werewolf
I personally think this is a really good idea! I'd love to travel to Ireland regularly, although I will admit I am a bit biased being Irish myself ;)

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Honeybadger
I personally think this is a really good idea! I'd love to travel to Ireland regularly, although I will admit I am a bit biased being Irish myself ;)
Don’t worry, I was not born in Ireland (I am a Yank) but I have a lot of Irish heritage (I have very red hair also btw) and have been to Ireland once. With those qualifications I can confirm that Ireland is so cool that you should be able to visit it whenever you want for free, no bias included.
Side note: Also doesn’t putting a border wall between Ireland and Great Britain violate the Good Friday Agreement?
I am no lawyer but I would suggest not violating peace agreements Potterworld :D

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Greetings luckiestblock,
Thank you for taking the time to bring forward your suggestion. We are always looking for ways to improve the server, so this is something we really appreciate!
Unfortunately, we have come to the conclusion that we will decline your suggestion. For one, the boundaries were placed in those places for a reason. The Dark Prison is currently unavailable and shouldn't be accessed, and the Ireland and Greenshore islands require certain quests to be completed before being accessed, which also encourages players to do these quests. The boundaries were put into place to stop players from bypassing the quests and to prevent them from getting into places they are not supposed to be in, either because of their low-level or because the gameplay is not ready yet. Furthermore, we would like to avoid players having to fly over oceans, as that is tedious, not very realistic and even more boring than travelling over land.
Hopefully you can understand this and we hope you will suggest many more things in the future!
Enjoy the rest of your day!

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Honeybadger
The Dark Prison is currently unavailable and shouldn't be accessed
the gameplay is not ready yet.
To my knowledge the dementares are there and the floo station works, there is no reason it shouldn't be available to the public unless the quest needed to access it is not released yet. If that is true it should not be on the map and I request the icons and name on it should be temporarily removed.
The boundaries were put into place to stop players from bypassing the quests
we would like to avoid players having to fly over oceans, as that is tedious, not very realistic and even more boring than travelling over land.
No other quest is treated to this level of importance, nor is any other area for no reason. Also like you said ocean traveling is not very fun so the incentive to do the quest IS to reduce that ocean travel. Ocean travel just encourages more land travel/floo use, if someone doesn't want to travel the ocean they don't have to. Quests were always supposed to be optional, just another fun thing to do, not locking several important areas. Also why is it not realistic to fly over water? In the books and movies it is done multiple times and in every other lake it doesn't seem to matter in pw.
to prevent them from getting into places they are not supposed to be in, either because of their low-level
To reiterate no other areas are treated like this and it is not like these islands have the highest lvl mobs. Travel 1200 blocks from the Great Hall and you will find lvl 74 Runespore which can one shot basically every year with the exception of grads and maybe 7th years.

I would like to conclude by saying that at least to me the whole point of Revelius was the open map; the gear, the spell points, the professions, these were all extra (important parts) but the main part was the map. And the map is mostly open but not completely, and the parts that are not are a betrayal to the promise of that open map and therefore a betrayal of the update, antithetical to the spirit, and unfathomable to the mind.

Last edited: