DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Is Duelling an American Sport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Joe_Magus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
This month, there has not been a scheduled duelling class before 3am GMT - UK Time
Not saying they all need to be different times - but this is every duelling.

duel.png

It goes without saying - Europe and Oceania get the short end of the stick when it comes to classes, due to the lack of professors in those areas, It's a know problem and the team are working on it - This thread isn't to highlight that problem - only the lack of Duelling classes for the eastern hemisphere. There should be at least 2/3 scheduled duelling lessons a month for European and Oceanic time, would be better than none.

Last edited:

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: TallBlondeDude
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
I mean the issue that cleck is the only teacher teaching scheduled dueling and if cleck can only teach then, that is the only time it will be. I mean the thread does highlight the lack of dueling teachers, but as you said that isnt the point.

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
I mean the issue that cleck is the only teacher teaching scheduled dueling and if cleck can only teach then, that is the only time it will be. I mean the thread does highlight the lack of dueling teachers, but as you said that isnt the point.
Can Arena Staff not do duelling class? They seem very able beings and Cuallenges run the same class rules practically - few minor differences

Sunnya

Professor
Minecraft IGN: Sunnya
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire VIP Werewolf SPEW
Not sure what you're suggesting here, but as I'm sure you know, the classes on the schedule don't represent all of the classes we've got. Generally, there's a dueling class every day (or every other day) at an earlier time (there was a dueling class 3 hours ago taught by Sal).

Some professors don't feel comfortable putting their classes on the schedule as IRL things may arise, but they do teach it at earlier times via surprise classes. We can't force professors to add their classes to the schedule or teach at certain times.

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
Not sure what you're suggesting here, but as I'm sure you know, the classes on the schedule don't represent all of the classes we've got. Generally, there's a dueling class every day (or every other day) at an earlier time (there was a dueling class 3 hours ago taught by Sal).

Some professors don't feel comfortable putting their classes on the schedule as IRL things may arise, but they do teach it at earlier times via surprise classes. We can't force professors to add their classes to the schedule or teach at certain times.
I’m sorry, what? So players miss out on classes, because people on the team don’t feel comfortable doing their job on the server? You are all on the team to add to the server and for the players. If class has to be cancelled for personal reasons then fair enough but you shouldn't just not advertise classes that are technically scheduled.

Last edited:

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
They cannot. Dueling classes & challenges/tournaments are different. They also go through separate training for each and are different teams.
And Im almost certain they wouldn't struggle - not enough credit given here

"they cannot"
I'm sure they can - you just don't let them - which seems silly, seen as though you have 1 Duelling Professor apparently

Oh and -
Not sure what you're suggesting here
Quite obviously more scheduled duelling classes for the eastern hemisphere.

Stated here -
This thread isn't to highlight that problem - only the lack of Duelling classes for the eastern hemisphere. There should be at least 2/3 scheduled duelling lessons a month for European and Oceanic time, would be better than none.

Last edited:

Cate

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Cateo
I’m sorry what? So people miss out on classes cause people don’t feel comfortable doing their job on the server? You are all on the team to add to the server and for the players.
I'm personally not in academics, and one reason I had to leave my aspiration to become a class helper was due to my very chaotic schedule. If I were to be a professor, I would not be capable of hosting scheduled classes, they would need to be surprise classes because there is quite a lot of unexpected events in my life. They are doing their job, and calling them out for not doing it because IRL always goes first is quite troubling. Our professors are down to earth amazing and work extremely hard on their classes. They're doing their job incredibly regardless if their classes are on the schedule. Like I said, not everyone is able to have scheduled classes and expect to be able to host them every time. IRL is always first regardless on which staff position you are on.

And Im almost certain they wouldn't struggle - not enough credit given here
This here is like comparing event teams, like Magiventologists to Inquisitors. In this example, we're not in the same department, Inquisitor is in CM, Magiventology is in GD. Yet, they both host events for the community, though they are far different. This is like the Arena team and Academics team. Different departments, different trainings. I know how to host an event because I am an Inquisitor. But I would need very extensive training if I were to join the Magiventology team.

I hope those comparisons help clear up the confusion upon departments. We all have separate trainings and the Arena team would have to be trained differently if they were to teach dueling classes. :)

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
This here is like comparing event teams, like Magiventologists to Inquisitors. In this example, we're not in the same department, Inquisitor is in CM, Magiventology is in GD. Yet, they both host events for the community, though they are far different. This is like the Arena team and Academics team. Different departments, different trainings. I know how to host an event because I am an Inquisitor. But I would need very extensive training if I were to join the Magiventology team.
Ah this explains it - so they are only able type messages in chat and use the commands used in duelling classes in Challenges - not able to do that in Classes? They would struggle?

I have not once criticised the Academics team - I said only - they are on the Team for the players of the server. To not be scheduling classes cause you're worried you will miss them is questionable. Class helpers responsibilities are they must be able to help 3 classes a week - Please could you let me know the Professor Responsibilities as they aren't on the site? But this post isn't about any of that - I tried to stress It wasn't about the lack of professors (which is a server problem anyway) but the Lack of inclusive duelling classes.

You can't sit there and type -
the classes on the schedule don't represent all of the classes we've got.
When as a European and a very active player on the server - not a staff member who will always back the team - am here saying there isn't enough - instead of disagreeing with me - all you have to say is thanks for your feedback and aim to be inclusive to all please. Not coming straight in and questioning the validity and reasoning of my post like it isn't blatantly obvious what my post is about.

Last edited:

Cate

Librarian
Ah this explains it - so they are only able type messages in chat and use the commands used in duelling classes in Challenges - not able to do that in Classes? They would struggle?
I believe there are separate commands for them, though unfortunately I'm not aware as I'm not in academics or GD. But they are quite different.

I think the Arena team members would do very good with hosting dueling classes, but only if they start off as a Class Helper then join the Professor team. It won't be as simple as just hosting one randomly with no experience in how classes work, which is why all professors start out as class helpers! :)

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
I think the Arena team members would do very good with hosting dueling classes, but only if they start off as a Class Helper then join the Professor team. It won't be as simple as just hosting one randomly with no experience in how classes work, which is why all professors start out as class helpers! :)
This is a very fair point! And I would agree completely.

Sametric

Magician
Minecraft IGN: Sametric
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Can Arena Staff not do duelling class? They seem very able beings and Cuallenges run the same class rules practically - few minor differences

Speaking from an Arena perspective, class tech is identical and we can technically host dueling classes but that is not our job to do so. The Arena Team hosts the competitive side of Potterworld (dueling, flying, sledding, etc), we are less "hand-holding" when it comes to challenges/tournaments, we don't cater to lower years as everyone is put against each other. So to answer your question; we are not hosting dueling classes, as it is not our responsibility.

Secondly, to answer your concern about scheduling more dueling classes at an early time, this is unlikely as most professors are in American timezones. This means that most of the day they are either in school or at work meaning that hosting a European-friendly class is conflicting with their day and schedules. So it is unlikely and not convenient for them.

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
Secondly, to answer your concern about scheduling more dueling classes at an early time, this is unlikely as most professors are in American timezones. This means that most of the day they are either in school or at work meaning that hosting a European-friendly class is conflicting with their day and schedules. So it is unlikely and not convenient for them.
Fair enough on the first section - to have Arena team to do classes - they would also have to want to do it.

As for the lack of professors - that's a problem. Really this should be working hard to get more professors then, no? You have the luxury, clearly, of turning down strong builders because they speak their opinions and the staff don't like that. I really don't think you have the same luxury with Academics - from a players perspective it seems a mess. I know lots of people who want to be class helpers - are the restrictions and applications too harsh? Especially when AC is supposed to be a large part of your XP and it gives an unfair advantage to half the world and not the other half.

Last edited:

mckenna varulv ❦

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: xokenna
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf SPEW
As for the lack of professors - that's a problem.
I do find it hard to believe that there is only one dueling professor. I think it'd be good to try to get more European staff that can host classes during those times for people who live in Europe or Oceania, that way everyone can enjoy the classes that Potterworld has to offer. I understand this is a problem, but perhaps open up applications for people who are 1, European or Oceania-based, or 2, willing to host those classes at the right times.

Especially when AC is supposed to be a large part of your XP and it gives an unfair advantage to half the world but not the other half.
I find even as a Canadian, I need AC. I couldn't imagine having to level up, but not being able to attend classes as they are way too late into the night or the early hours of the morning. It's too difficult, and therefore I think we need to address the server's European and Oceania players.

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
I find even as a Canadian, I need AC. I couldn't imagine having to level up, but not being able to attend classes as they are way too late into the night or the early hours of the morning. It's too difficult, and therefore I think we need to address the server's European and Oceania players.
Well yeh, I'd agree there also - Quests don't give as much XP as they should and there isn't enough classes in general - even for American players to constitute them being a large section of your XP leveling up - I've ended up leaving a trail of dozens of thousands of dead magical creatures in my wake levelling up - because grinding mobs is even faster than getting 30AC in a class. Duelling classes are not only for AC but they are fun too - and not everyone gets to enjoy the fun that comes with them.

I do find it hard to believe that there is only one dueling professor.
Question is - Why is there set professors? I understand for Note classes - but can all professors not train in duelling or flying classes? Why have a division that creates boundaries? -Wy not all be able to do everything? As much as I constructively criticise - you're all incredibly bright people, You all put in a lot of effort and do a good job - when it comes to "They Cannot" - I'm sure they can - I'm sure the skills are transferrable.

Finally, I want to stress- I don't come on here to get peoples backs up and criticise your hard work, I come on here to give a players opinion, help give constructive feedback on how we can all sustain and improve the server and maybe be a voice for those who think the same but aren't confident enough to get it heard. This doesn't even affect me much - I'm a lvl 80 and I also have the sleeping pattern of an American so can attend Duelling - I'm speaking for those who can't.

Last edited:

Carlie

Professor
Minecraft IGN: CarlieChi
Honeybadger Dark Follower Vampire
Hey! I'd like to quickly comment on this post from an Academics perspective.

I do definitely understand how it can be frustrating to not have as many classes scheduled at a time convenient for you. The goal of Academics is to host fun and engaging classes for the students on the server, which I think we do a pretty good job at! It is really hard to control the distribution of where professors live, and when a majority of the professors are in the U.S., it leaves the other parts of the world lacking in class experiences. This is definitely not ideal, but it is a bit hard to drastically change this in the way that would benefit players in other timezones. Applications are open for Class Helper right now, and there is no timezone requirement to apply. Players from anywhere are encouraged to apply if they meet the requirements stated on the application!

Professors are not forced to put classes on the schedule, as many of us have personal lives that change on a daily basis. This does not mean that we don't want to teach a lot, but means that we have to prioritize some things before teaching (such as family, school, etc.). As far as my own classes go, I have a few in the morning for me and one in the afternoon. These are fairly spread out with the hope that players from different places can attend! Surprise classes are also a great opportunity for professors to teach when they have plenty of time to do so! As Sunnya previously stated, Sal does teach surprise dueling classes at times more convenient for those not in the U.S.

Something else I wanted to point out was the fact that professors choose which subjects they would like to teach. Just because only one professor has the "Dueling Professor" prefix, does not mean that they are the only one that teaches it. I know that Sal enjoys hosting dueling, and teaches it quite frequently. Paul also has a scheduled dueling class. I have taught dueling many times before, but enjoy other subjects much more so prefer to teach those more often! This allows the players to experience all sorts of classes, and gives them a chance to maybe find another type of class or subject that they really love!

I hope that shed some light on this issue, and if you have any more questions please let me know! We really do put a lot of effort into our classes, and being able to teach at times that we can choose is really crucial to the consistent output of classes on the server.

I hope you all have a good day!

Pankakes

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Pankakes_81
Griffin
Maybe the soltion in the meantime could be to have bot-hosted classes. After all, the classes usually follow the same cookie cutter procedure.
  1. Announce class in chat
  2. Start class
  3. Greet students and enable chat
    1. Students say Hi
  4. Lock chat
  5. Ask students how they are doing
    1. Students respond
  6. Lock chat, "I'm doing great, thanks for asking everyone"
  7. Give assignment / start race / etc.
  8. Class done.

Chriss

Dragonologist
Drooble's Order
Minecraft IGN: ChrissShock
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf SPEW Drooble's Order
I think have a bot run class would be hard to do. One, how would the assignments be graded? They need to be checked me someone in the Academics Department. If someone had a question how you they get their question answered? Professors/Class Helper need to be professional during classes. Yes, sometimes there is a slip up/chat fail, but we are all human... We have all done it once or twice maybe even more (I know I have definitely). On the Arena Team teaching dueling classes, Grand Arena Masters/Arena Masters/Arena Squires are trained to teach Challenges and not normal classes. That’s just my view on all this. :)

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
Something else I wanted to point out was the fact that professors choose which subjects they would like to teach
I agree - they need to have someone who is running the class - and understand that RL comes before the game - I'm the same myself. I think there should be the option to pick what you want to teach ect, but at the same time - It really shouldn't be an option of say "I'm doing Charms and History and nothing else" The skills that are given to your professors through training should really be then used by the lead academics how they please. I don't go into work and say I'm just washing pots tonight (not that I would as a manager) - Cause the owner would be like - You can't just wash pots, because this and that needs doing too. So yes - they can teach charms let's say - but then it's for the leads to get the professors to work in areas they are also needed. And the end of the day - it's my belief that no-one signed up to the team under the idea that they would teach one subject. They signed up as class helper under the responsibilities of helping 3 (any 3) classes a week. As I said, you have set up divisions, such as this person "can" do that and "they cannot" do that. When really - it's causing more problems than good. You are looking for more professors/class helpers, for more classes but struggle finding them because of age, swearing in the past or like me - they speak their opinion and the staff don't like that, ect. Why not use the ones you already know and trust and have trained, to do more, different lessons. Again seems silly.

Grand Arena Masters/Arena Masters/Arena Squires are trained to teach Challenges and not normal classes.
As Sam said -
Speaking from an Arena perspective, class tech is identical and we can technically host dueling classes
But as he also said - they have to want to do that.

Last edited:

Cate

Librarian
Going back to the whole purpose of this forum, I don't know the situation with Academics but I believe Carlie and Sam covered it all. I personally don't go to classes as often as I used too before joining the staff team. But the classes I've been to only get more and more fun. Yes I'm in an American timezone, but I still can't attend as many classes I'd like too because I have school 8-12 hours of the day, then work right after. It's not just you and people in timezones near you, it's everyone depending on their schedule. And this goes the same with Professors.

Status
Not open for further replies.