DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Is Duelling an American Sport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Psycho
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
Anyway, back to OP. There haven't been many classes that occur between 2200-0400 PST from what I have noticed - if there is one, then it's usually a surprise class like Potions. Other than that, players who are on during that time lose out on participating in a potterworld type class, which is unfortunate for them, but hopefully there will be someone that's up during those hours who will end up becoming a class helper or professor soon.

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Joe_Magus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
Anyway, back to OP. There haven't been many classes that occur between 2200-0400 PST from what I have noticed - if there is one, then it's usually a surprise class like Potions. Other than that, players who are on during that time lose out on participating in a potterworld type class, which is unfortunate for them, but hopefully there will be someone that's up during those hours who will end up becoming a class helper or professor soon.
Yes agree - Sometimes the /nc is 18/19hours :')

Last edited:

Sinelius

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: Sinelius
Honeybadger
Regarding the lack of European-timed classes. Back when I was a D. A. D. A. professor, one of the reasons of me becoming one (besides all the fantastic experiences) was stepping in for fellow Europeans and hosting at times when I would have wanted classes being hosted for me when I was a student. I also hosted surprise classes especially during really dead times to help get those ACs (especially back then when classes were if not the only way to get xp properly) as I too struggled to get to classes being an European.
Anyway, my two cents are: I understand that there is a lack of EU profs and I honestly think its just how it is due to less EU people applying/becoming profs. I may be wrong but I think it boils down to that. Hopefully this problem will lessen in the future and there will be more European time appropriate classes for all to enjoy. 😄
Have a nice day and always have a little smile in there to keep you going, wherever you go. ☺️

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
Anyway, my two cents are: I understand that there is a lack of EU profs and I honestly think its just how it is due to less EU people applying/becoming profs. I may be wrong but I think it boils down to that.
You are right - this is the overall problem - the Thread originally was to try and get more duelling, specifically, scheduled at European times - but "They Cannot"

Thanks Sinelius :)

Last edited:

Nyn

Professor
Minecraft IGN: xNyn
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I suck at dueling even tho it’s still fun lol I would love to see more classes at times

Also just wanna day joe, hope your okay! ❤️

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
Having had some time to reflect a little on everything that has been spoken about - I'm going to relate back to my question -
Are you too harsh with applicants?
Since posting and speaking to people about my application - they have come forward with their own stories -
There was one, where the staff member had applied 4/5 times and said

"I’ve been there, the only thing you can really do is keep trying. You will get there one day. It took me like 4-5 times applying for Jr. Prefect before I was accepted. If it doesn’t happen the way you want it to. It’s just not your time. I hope this all makes sense >.<"

It's a fair point - If you went to a job interview and didn't get the job, yeh it's upsetting maybe, but you didn't get it, no point getting upset - persevere. But I'm assuming this person has worked hard in the staff team, not broken any rules ect.
Do you think this person would of stepped up to the plate had they been accepted after the second or third application? It's quite common that when you instil a little responsibility to people, even people who may have done something wrong in the past but now is working hard and really want to be on the team, a little trust - they will more often than not surprise you.
Also - how many people have they turned away 3 times that would be good members of staff and really benefit the server, that wont reapply a 4th time? How many, possibly great members of staff were turned away too many times. I'm sure the person quoted above is well liked in the team now. I'm sure they would have been months prior.

Here's another one -

"You know, in June I got rejected for Jr. Prefect, though I thought I would have potential, but there was something I needed to work on to better benefit the team. But a month later I got accepted."

Cate - I'm sure you didn't need to "better yourself" at all - I'm sure you did have great potential when you applied the first time and would of fit nicely into the team then as you did a month later. I don't know how you possibly "bettered yourself" within that month to be on the team - but was it even necessary to reject you the first time? Would you not have stepped up to the plate as you have done so now?

They claim to be looking for new members for the Academics team, so that there can be more lessons for the other hemisphere, but then turn people down from the staff team so unnecessarily. And tell people they don't even know and clearly don't want to get to know to "better themselves." Not even basing the reason they don't want to speak to these people on their work in the field that they apply in - but based on personal judgements they've made about them.

There's is probably so many, many more stories like this - so I will ask again, to close -

are the restrictions and applications too harsh?

Last edited:

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: luckiestblock
Honeybadger
To get back on topic after Big Brother deleted a whole bunch of posts, I agree that it is unfortunate dueling is mostly restricted to a couple timezones unless you want to stay up in a unreasonable manner. I don't think it can really be solved by just hiring more people to academics because staff should be rigorously vetted to make sure they are the absolute best and not having that can be dangerous and not great. So I think the simplest solution is to simply ask the few professors that are from European timezones to host at least one more dueling class. Fast tracking European class helpers to professors would also be good.

Last edited:

Nyn

Professor
Minecraft IGN: xNyn
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Now that we're back on track...

Yes!

So I think the simplest solution is to simply ask the few professors that are from European timezones to host at least one more dueling class. Fast tracking European class helpers to professors would also be good.
A certain friend of mine recently applied for CH but was declined for something along the lines of: "you don't seem to eager to attend classes" when they attend the majority of them and always get great grades. They would be a great CH and I don't see the point in them being declined as they CLEARLY are loving the classes if they attend lots and spend time having good work. So I also agree that they are sometimes too strict.

btw this isnt me complining im just saying i think they're sometimes too harsh

Kirstree

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: Kirstree
Auralock Griffin Phoenix
I think we should definitely get more classes in the EU timezone as someone from Europe, a lot of the classes are inconvenient timezones etc. However, it's not exactly like they can magic up staff, we don't know every single person who applies, what timezone they are in, whether it's a "spam" application or a well thought out one. Getting staff takes time and I do think the server is trying to make classes available for as many people as it can.

It's important to highlight as well, classes are probably based on when the most people are online, I went and grabbed these stats from one of the server voting websites, and the data suggests that the most active times is between 6pm to 5am GMT (highest around 11pm-1am) -

Last edited:

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
It's important to highlight as well, classes are probably biased on when the most people are online, I went and grabbed these stats from one of the server voting websites, and the data suggests that the most active times is between 6pm to 5am GMT (highest around 11pm-1am) -
Almost definitely agree - I don't think the minority should be forgotten about though! There is still around 100 people on through those hourse and maybe more classes would bring more players in those timezones.

I know they do surprise classes, but imagine a new player joining - missing the surprise class - doing /nc and finding out the next class is 18-19 hours away. It's bad advertising for your server if anything.

Kirstree

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: Kirstree
Auralock Griffin Phoenix
Almost definitely agree - I don't think the minority should be forgotten about though! There is still around 100 people on through those hourse and maybe more classes would bring more players in those timezones.

I know they do surprise classes, but imagine a new player joining - missing the surprise class - doing /nc and finding out the next class is 18-19 hours away. It's bad advertising for your server if anything.
100% agree the minority shouldn't be ignored, but it does make sense that the class system is set up how it is assuming it's based on that. Given the fact there's only I think 6 or so planned classes that fall outside of that.

I think surprise classes personally aren't the greatest, for me personally I try and set my day up and I do get a bit frustrated when there's no classes for literally a whole day and then one gets sprung and I end up missing it.

Ashh

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: AzureAsh
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Discord Moderator SPEW Game Designer Lead
Hello to everyone who has viewed and interacted with this thread, as well as the poster. I’d like to take time to reply to this thoroughly on behalf of the staff team and give a decision. We really appreciate those that have given their opinions on this matter, as well as the passion that some of you have when you try to get your ideas across. We just need to remember to do this civilly and respect others' opinions.

We are indeed aware that those from Europe and Oceania are not able to attend as many classes. Ideally, we would like to change this so that those from those timezones are able to attend more classes, but unfortunately this is dependent on the Professors that we currently have and what times they are available and willing to teach classes. If you are from Europe or Oceania timezones, we encourage you to apply for class helper! Professors get to choose what classes they schedule and at what time they teach. This goes for surprise classes too. They can host them outside of the schedule whenever they would like to and it doesn’t conflict with another class. We would not want to force Professors to teach certain classes or at certain times, as this might be in conflict with their interests and their schedules. A lot of work goes into being a class helper, and similarly Professor, and having to teach and do work for a class that you don’t actually enjoy or want to do might make the position tedious and unenjoyable.

Yes, we are all on the team to add to the server and to benefit players, but we are unpaid volunteers, most of which are at high school or university level, or have a job. Our Academics (and staff) members are real people with lives. Many staff members have multiple positions which they need to do work for, and would be unable to host a class at a certain time. Professors generally tend to schedule classes when they know that they would be able to do them. A Professor scheduling a class when they are unsure if they can make it or not wouldn’t make sense and would end up creating more frustration and confusion than if there was no class scheduled.

Regarding the point about Arena staff doing dueling classes, the Arena team is a part of Game Design, and Professors are a part of Academics. These are separate teams and departments entirely, and we do not want to change this. Upcoming changes/updates will further separate classes from Arena Team hosted events. The Arena Team’s job is to create tougher, friendly competition that is less rewarding when you don’t perform as well as other players, whereas classes are meant to foster an environment for players of all levels. The style of challenges is very different from how a dueling class is run. With this separation, changes to how challenges are run and managed backend will be different to classes, and we want to keep those roles separate so they can focus on how they need to be managing.

We currently have 15 class helpers, which is quite a large number. These class helpers will eventually work their way up to being Professors, but that is something that takes a bit of time. Class helpers need to be ready and have experience before being able to be promoted. Because of the number of applicants that Academics gets, unfortunately the Academics leadership team cannot accept many of them. Similarly to how job interviews work in real life, the best applicants are taken and given the position.

Because of everything mentioned above, there isn’t much that we can do about this at this time, so I will be closing this thread. If you disagree, that’s okay and you are free to, but this is unfortunately the decision that we have come to.

Best regards,
Ash

Status
Not open for further replies.