DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Limit One Time Buy Items

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: luckiestblock
Honeybadger
This is less of a direct suggestion and more of an idea moving forward but it bugs me nevertheless. What I have noticed is that many high tier collectibles from events cost quite a lot (1k) and you can only buy one of them. What I suggest is the removal of this one purchase limit. This is because the main reason a system like this is in place is because it is there to inflate the value of the item by making less of them but to me it fails because in reality many players can circumvent the system through alt accounts and is really only a hassle to those that don't and creates a unfair system where some players can prosper by making investments and others can not. If this one purchase limit subsides the value of the item will still be high because the price is cost prohibitive to buying more then 2 or 3 to the vast majority of players. The only difference is that everyone will have the option not just the few who have the extra accounts and sell them for extortionate prices.

Postscript: I have a few alt accounts and I use them fairly regularly, but just because I benefit personally from the system does not mean I am blind to its problems.

EDIT: Greater Clarification and Shorter Length

Last edited:

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Joe_Magus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
An alternate account is an investment that anyone can make - and being able to use you alt account on a server in this way is one of the reasons it is worth investing in an alt account, I’m unsure as to what your suggestion or feedback is - do you want to be able to buy 2 scarves?

As far as I can see you want to be able to buy more - but does that not defeat the point of the item being collectible - it seems what you really want is an alt account.

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Honeybadger
An alternate account is an investment that anyone can make - and being able to use you alt account on a server in this way is one of the reasons it is worth investing in an alt account, I’m unsure as to what your suggestion or feedback is - do you want to be able to buy 2 scarves?

As far as I can see you want to be able to buy more - but does that not defeat the point of the item being collectible - it seems what you really want is an alt account.
I am sorry if I was really unclear, I wrote it over several different sessions over the course of several hours and reviewing it now it doesn't make much sense. I will be editing it for lesser length and greater clarification shortly. What I was trying to say with my nonsense is that as of right now many rare items you can essentially only buy one of and to buy more (which is often very much in your favor to do so) you have to hop on an alt account which is really unfair because at least to me, the number of accounts you have shouldn't correlate with the number of items you can buy. Yes, everyone can buy more accounts but at least to me we should work towards minimizing the benefits they exclusively have because it hurts the players that don't. To do that, just let people buy more then one of the collectibles (my suggestion), the cost is so high I don't think many people will buy more then 2 or 3 so the value of the collectible will still be high but it just allows EVERYONE the option to buy more. Also to set the record straight, yes I do have an alt account, a few actually.

Hope that made more sense, sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited:

HektorTM

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: HektorTM
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf SPEW
In my opinion it's fine that you can only buy one scarf. If you want more trade it from players. It holds the trade system alive on the server. I know some prices are ridiculous but there are also some people who sell for example scarfs at a good and fair price. Although if you wait a year for example the price increases as you said in your post before. And the people with an alt account payed like 20€(idk the actual price) for it and I think its fair if they can get one other scarf with it which doesnt make much difference except for they have another scarf. They still pay it with their own gold which you can spend for the next events scarf.

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
In my opinion it's fine that you can only buy one scarf. If you want more trade it from players. It holds the trade system alive on the server. I know some prices are ridiculous but there are also some people who sell for example scarfs at a good and fair price. Although if you wait a year for example the price increases as you said in your post before. And the people with an alt account payed like 20€(idk the actual price) for it and I think its fair if they can get one other scarf with it which doesnt make much difference except for they have another scarf. They still pay it with their own gold which you can spend for the next events scarf.
I agree here - it’s the perks of spending $25 on another account. If you want another item you can always buy them from the marketplace :)

I agree with this idea, and I personally don't like when people use alts on Potterworld to gain unfair advantages such as being able to purchase multiple of these event items. It makes the trading of them more unfair and gives the player with the alts more profit. Potterworld should be about equal opportunity for all. Does using alts promote this ideology?

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Honeybadger
I agree with this idea, and I personally don't like when people use alts on Potterworld to gain unfair advantages such as being able to purchase multiple of these event items. It makes the trading of them more unfair and gives the player with the alts more profit. Potterworld should be about equal opportunity for all. Does using alts promote this ideology?
YES! This is what I am trying to say! Thanks for saying it more eloquently then I ever could and this is precisely why saying "Well why can't you just go to the marketplace to buy a 2nd one" doesn't make any sense because the root problem is this lack of equality and fairness not general access.

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Honeybadger
Your "problem" doesn't lie with Potterworld tho - Like on every server there are advantages to having an alternate account. That's why people buy them :') Honestly - Just invest.
You are correct, my problem does not lie specifically on Potterworld, in my envisioned utopia there would be no use for alt accounts because of the unfair disparities they create. However obviously we will never get there, but this is a small step closer without trivializing the game (in a way that opening up all Wilderness collectors to everyone would for example).
Also as I have stated previously, I have invested in a few alt accounts but why I am suggesting this is for people that don't and to create a more fair experience for all.

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
You keep saying it is unfair - but how is it unfair if someone has paid money and purchased it?

and before the argument of because some people can't pay that - people do store trades daily on PW - just saying - saving up gold for that is a good investment :D

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Honeybadger
You keep saying it is unfair - but how is it unfair if someone has paid money and purchased it?

and before the argument of because some people can't pay that - people do store trades daily on PW - just saying - saving up gold for that is a good investment :D
First I wanted to say that you got me :D, I was going to say some semantics on how some people simply can't afford them and how that would be unfair but since you mentioned store trades I think I should address that. I do believe though that there is a substantive difference between store trades and alt accounts; mainly that store trades are endorsed by Potterworld (almost all staff members are pro store trades and a lot of them use store trades) and alt accounts are simply not. Store trades are at least to me, very much a part of the Potterworld system and alt accounts are exterior and not intended, in store trades you are giving money to Potterworld and it gives you a specific reward and for alt accounts you are giving money to a non affiliated company and you are getting a unspecified reward which happens to carry over to Potterworld. So I guess I would call alts unfair because they give advantages through monetary compensation that is given to a unaffiliated company that was not intended from Potterworld.
Thanks for reading and have a nice day :)

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
To openly endorse store trades would be a complete disregard for MC EULA. There is a grey area here because obviously it helps the server, so they won't complain. but It works both ways - they dont say its okay, but under the same principle they can't really stop you from spending your Gold on whatever you want, Just don't do it through /pm

I like to think of it as - You are gifting a person Gold, and they have bought you a different, equally-priced gift in return, cause you are both so nice to each-other an enjoy giving one another gifts.

But thats okay - breaking Minecraft's EULA and getting a load of Gold by doing store trades is fair and okay and a big part of Potterworld MC - but using an Alt to get an extra event item is so unfair. Read your contradicting argument please.

It comes as a surprise to me that you can be so okay with one - but not the other and that it is this way around. There are people on the server who have nearly Half a Million gold, because they've saved up and done a lot of store trades. alone, they could manipulate the market to make the prices up themselves. But thats fair and buying an extra Pride Flag with you alt for a grand or so cheaper than the market.... SO UNFAIR!

Last edited:
Alts don't help the server in any way, infact they take up more storage space for their data (probably. I'm no expert.) However, store trades are direct donations to the server to keep it running. Staff can't complain about donating to the server, but they can complain about alts because they give an unfair advantage. Any player, whether they be 5 or 50, can save up a certain amount of gold and trade it. However, not all players are old enough to be employed or have the irl money to spare.

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
But like I said above - Store trades are far more unfair than having an alt :') If you look at the facts of it - I get that the store trades help the server, but the point was, they're more unfair than someone having an alt - so why be okay with one and not the other?

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Honeybadger
But like I said above - Store trades are far more unfair than having an alt :') If you look at the facts of it - I get that the store trades help the server, but the point was, they're more unfair than someone having an alt - so why be okay with one and not the other?
I think it is important to mention on my last post while writing I made a paragraph ish long "postscript" that I eventually cut entirely which essentially said that I was anti store trade and that while I wouldn't ban it if I was in control, I would institute a public store trade npc (though obviously that would never happen in the real world because it would cut server revenue) and that generally I don't like the exchange of IRL money for in game currency. I cut out the postscript because I just didn't want to argue about store trades (they are not leaving the server ANYTIME soon so it wouldn't be productive) and I knew that you occasionally did them meaning you likely had a pretty strong opposing view :). The reason I defended store trades was because I wanted to work in the framing of the question.
how is it unfair if someone has paid money and purchased it?

and before the argument of because some people can't pay that - people do store trades daily on PW
The question was asked where the implied base claim is "Store Trades are good and fair" and the only way to correctly answer it was to differentiate between store trades and alts in order to decipher why one is fair and the other is not. So in my response I focused on making a point of the difference instead of just saying what I actually thought which is that both are unfair. This is partially why I was motivated to write that "postscript" in the first place but then deleted it against my better judgement.

Though, more importantly, I agree that store trades are FAR more unfair and are FAR worse, but I must ask, how realistic is it to remove store trades? If I suggested the removal of store trades it would get shut down immediately because not only will a lot of players not be receptive to the idea because it conflicts with their interests, many staffers (some of whom will decide whether this idea is good or not to pass on to other staff in near absolute authority) will also have disdain for the idea and shut it down immediately. And even if store trades are banned, there is pretty much no way it can enforced to catch all of them meaning there will always be someone doing them. What I am proposing, yes will not be radical, and yes won't fix everything, and yes in a lot of respects will continue to have inequalities and injustices, will strive to fix SOME of them, and actually has a chance of passing (there isn't even anything to enforce also at all really, it's just giving players something only a select few had access to before).

Thanks for reading my long nonsensical ramblings about injustice on a Harry Potter Minecraft Server, and have a groovy day.

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
You've not answered anything I asked here - only used word after word to deflect an actual answer. Why is it unfair for someone who has paid money for an alt - to have the advantage of being able to get one more event Item? when anyone can do that if they so choose. The reason you haven't answered is cause it isn't "unfair" - because anyone CAN buy a Minecraft account. Heck they had to buy one to play the game in the first place, what is stopping them from buying another? If you really want something you save for it or work hard for it - If that means washing a few cars and walking a few dogs so you can buy an alt and get an extra event item (laughable) - do it.

Though, more importantly, I agree that store trades are FAR more unfair and are FAR worse, but I must ask, how realistic is it to remove store trades?

Thanks for reading my long nonsensical ramblings about injustice on a Harry Potter Minecraft Server, and have a groovy day.
Noone said anything about removing store trades - I just brought that up to create a principle of the matter that you were for something so unfair and against something so inconsequential.
And you're right it was nonsensical ramblings :') half of it was introducing the other half and the the other half was saying thanks for the introduction - with little to no point :')

Whats really triggered me here - Is I'm extremely against the change to Minecraft EULA, I don't hate pay to win. I guess we just resolve this in the fact that we have conflicting opinions and call it a day :')

Last edited:

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Hello and thank you everyone for making the suggestion and discussing it!
I will now bring up your idea to the rest of the Poltergeist Team. We will discuss it and get back to you soon with a further response.
Have a wonderful day!

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Hello again,
Thank you for taking the time to make a suggestion and discuss it here. We value the opinions of players very highly, as they allow us to find ways to improve the server and generally give us valuable insights on how the player base thinks.
After discussing your suggestion, we have come to the conclusion that this is not something we would like to implement for a few reasons. If we raised the price and made them unlimited, players with less gold would not be able to buy any of the items and players with a lot of gold would be able to buy a lot of these items, sell them for more and make even more gold. Most players do not have too many alts, so they are still limited with the amount of items they can get and even with alts, players need to have enough gold to be able to buy the items multiple times.. If the items were unlimited, the only limit would be the amount of gold the players are willing to spend. This would make the items less accessible for players with less gold and tip the balance in favor of those players with a lot of gold, which would be quite unfair.
Nevertheless, thank you for making a suggestion and we hope you will make more in the future!
Have a great day!