DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Make gold an actual item

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Joe_Magus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
I did have a little idea about this - and just now remembered to post -

If problems with duping are solved as someone previously said in the thread. Then why not add an item (such as a Knut) that can be bought for an amount of virtual gold and then sold back to the vendor for the same amount of gold - If this could be implemented without the possibility of abusing the system - it would create a form of physical currency for those who want it! Kind of like you were able to buy glass and sell it back for a smaller amount, but keeping the amount the same.

Ashh

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: AzureAsh
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Discord Moderator SPEW Game Designer Lead
Hello! Thank you to everyone who has participated on this thread and to the creator for bringing this suggestion to us. This is a really interesting idea and we see that it is liked by some of you. However, we will unfortunately be declining this thread because of a number of reasons.

In the past, players have found ways to dupe physical gold, and that gives them a huge advantage, as well as having an impact on the economy itself, both of which we would like to avoid. Considering the amount of materials, gear recipes and pieces, and quest items a player might keep on them or get at any given time, it is likely that there will be times when they cannot fit enough gold on them. They might not be able to complete something because they do not have enough space to get the gold reward, as well as any other reward given. When using the marketplace or purchasing things, the player would need to have the correct amount of gold with them, and they would need to get an exact amount of change and have enough space for that. There is also a higher chance that physical currency can be lost by housing theft, lag reasons, or accidentally dropping a large amount and another player picking it up. This is harder to trace, and it is likely that gold will not be able to be refunded in cases where gold is lost. In order to implement this, we would also have to change all of our current systems that give or take gold, and that is a lot of different things. We would rather spend this time and energy on working on implementing and improving new features, as well as releasing new gameplay.

With digital currency, the chance of losing it by various means is a lot lower. Duplication of gold itself is not possible. All of your currency is in one place and safe. Trading, buying, and selling items is a lot easier and you do not have to worry about having the right amount of gold on you, or worry about inventory space. We believe that these are more advantageous than making the decision to convert to physical gold.

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: luckiestblock
Honeybadger
In the past, players have found ways to dupe physical gold, and that gives them a huge advantage, as well as having an impact on the economy itself, both of which we would like to avoid.
I respect the team's decision but this part doesn't make sense to me. If duplication glitches could exist for gold then surely they would exist for every other item. Due to broom recipes we essentially have 2k money vouchers that would be more efficient to dupe then just a 100 or 1k denomination of physical currency.

Nyn

Professor
Minecraft IGN: xNyn
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
surely they would exist for every other item
I believe it does - one time during a housing restart i put an item in a chest a few secs before i was warped, and when i rejoined PW i had the item and it was also in the chest. this was completely accidental idk it could happen i forgot if i reported it or anything but i threw the item away just incase

edit: idk if this happens often or if it even still happens, and idk what the item was it was not long after I rejoined PW I was somewhat of a noob lol