DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Make Potion Classes more useful + example

JustinS

Notable Magician
Hi,

(Before making this post I searched for this topic but couldn't find it so sorry if it's a duplicate)

I've noticed that Potion Classes are:
1. Very short
2. Not very useful in my opinion because the only thing you do is get ingredients, follow simple instructions, and tada you have a potion in 30 seconds. Basically: You don't learn anything.

I know that some people won't agree on this idea, that's why I thought of another idea, keeping the Standard easy potion Classes, but then "Extended Potion Class" too, which this thread is all about.

My idea is basically to make potion classes more useful, by making them more complicated. (This thread kind of links with a previous thread of mine: More advanced Potions and Learning, I'd recommend checking that thread out too after this one)

To make them more complicated, I had a few ideas:
- A potions book will be introduced which all students will need (if they don't have it they can get it for free in the Potion class), this book contains many detailed recipes of potions of all sorts. These potions won't be in the brewing menu but you will just have to start brewing yourself. (Again, My other thread explains this better).

- Assignment and Notes, the assignment would be that the players who brew the potion in the limited time (let's say 5 minutes) will all keep the potion. The professors will also teach the students about the potion, where it came from, what it does, etc. The student will be recommended to take notes. I think that teaching more about the potion will make it more fun to brew because with the standard potion classes you just get a potion, no idea what it does, and it's just kinda useless.

- More complicated potions: This point basically explains itself
- More potions: The amount of potions for the classes is very limited. After doing about 8 potion classes, you already brewed them all and it's just kinda boring.

- Remove the very easy given instructions above the brewing stands: For potion classes, (and basically every other potion) I believe that the recipe above the brewing stands should be taken away. This is because it just makes it way too easy (yes I know it's not always easy because the recipe can be quite quick. Although, everything is so easy to access and it feels so cheaty/unrealistic in my opinion) I recommend just using the Potions book, and then you start brewing once you click the cauldron. You can see if you are successfully brewing if the brewing stand emits particles.

For a better idea of what I mean and how classes could be, watch these Harry Potter scenes:
AND

I really hope this idea will be implemented although it would take quite a lot of work. Students are also able to learn potions by studying the expansive book which they can get about potioning (more mentioned in my other thread)

Mekala

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: Mekala_
Honeybadger Auralock
Hiya @JustinS!

Thank you so much for taking the time to make this suggestion. We are always looking for new ways to improve the server. At this time I will talk about your idea with my team and we will make a decision on it hopefully soon. Keep a lookout for my response on this thread!

Have a lovely day!

Mekala

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: Mekala_
Honeybadger Auralock
Hello again @JustinS!

Thanks so much for being so patient when waiting for a response. Unfortunately, this suggestion has been declined. We will not be adding a new class specifically for more advanced potions with the characteristics of what the player specified. This is due to us feeling that potions assignments already fit well in potions theory classes, and instructions should not be removed because of how confusing that might be for players, as well as frustrating because of failing over and over again when the next step is not clear. However, we will be looking into a system where players get more advanced versions of a potion once they have brewed the first version. This would require reworking the current system and we want to look into how worthwhile this would be for players before deciding if this is something we would like to do. There is no guarantee that this is something we will do.

Thank you once again for all the time you put into this thread. We look forward to seeing more ideas from you in the future! Take care and have a great day!