DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Make Updating Potterworld to newer versions of minecraft a higher priority

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
So I was looking at the mine depot when I realized that the block palette we have is pretty limited. Not only that theres not many blocks, but some textures are way too similar. You can't even tell the difference between some blocks (wool and terracotta) and some are just too similar (diamond/coal ore bricks or cobblestone/stone bricks). Theres just not enough variety in my opinion, all the colors depend on either wool (right) or terracotta (left) which again, look the same for certain colors (red, orange.. as you can see in the screenshot). And then some textures are simply not used at all (certain bricks), or they are used but at cost of replacing a better looking block. For example, theres no blue colored glass blocks, since both light blue, blue and cyan glass have been replaced for some unique textures. Green glass panes have been replaced with this shower curtain texture, and I dont think thats a worthy change. Do we really need a curtain texture over green glass panes?
Anyway, obviously this isnt the only reason why PW should update, but its just something that made me thinking about updating and I wanted to point it out.
Besides the benefits of having more item/mob variety in newer versions, theres some other really important things that updating could help with.
Incoming players - it is no secret that older versions aren't the most popular. And with more time going by, its only getting worse. Its been 3+ years since 1.14 came out and we are still stuck with 1.13. Also according to this chart I found, only a small percentage of players still play on the versions that PW is running on, while the majority is playing on the newer version spectrum.
Optimization - even tho some plugins would need a rework, the core itself is better in newer versions. Maybe updating could lower the lag issue we had problems with. Personally I noticed that loading custom textures in newer versions is much smoother.
Efficiency - why make others things a priority which will need reworks after the eventual update of versions (which is bound to happen anyway) when you can work on updating first and then work on new things from there and avoid doing the same job twice.
Possibilities - newer versions allow a wider range of new creations
Accessibility - a lot of other servers use newer versions and its annoying to have to change the version each time I wanna log on different server. Now, I spend most of my playtime on PW, but a lot of people don't, especially potential new players.
So yeah those are just some of the things I could think of right now, but Im sure theres more. Thanks for mckenna for letting me know I could make a suggestion on forums :LOL: and I hope you really consider making this a bigger priority as its been quite some time since we got an update of this kind.

Attachments

Pankakes

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Pankakes_81
Griffin
AFAIK The curtains are used next to the bed in the Hogsworth's hospital wing. Regarding a newer version, I hope we won't see chat reporting on PW. The risk of getting unfairly banned is just too great and we have a good admin team already.

(Will add more stuff here tomorrow)

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: TallBlondeDude
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
fr I finally got my pretty active guild chat with very liberal chat rules like no discussing genocide, racism, sexism, anything explicit, and I don’t want mojang to yoink that

Engelhardmarcos

Animorphus
Staff
Minecraft IGN: M_Engel
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Vampire Werewolf Arithmancer
Personally, I think it would be better improve everything we already got, than update to newest version.

The minecraft launcher itself helps us to install older versions, and you can swap the version in an easy way.

Besides updating into newer versions take time, and the dev team (at least from what I've heard) is small, so I assume that it would be down under maintenance, without ETA. We already got a few months ago, do we need to have another in so low amount of time?

Ivan_

Professor
Will add more stuff here tomorrow
Still waiting for that before I reply to u.
fr I finally got my pretty active guild chat with very liberal chat rules like no discussing genocide, racism, sexism, anything explicit, and I don’t want mojang to yoink that
1. We're still on 1.13 - An update to 1.14-1.18 is still an update, never said it needed to be 1.19 specifically.
2. Pretty sure Mojang doesn't just ban people for swearing. Either way, whatever they have planned is going to effect all the other versions as well at some point. Best case scenario is if they remove chat reporting fully, but again, by the time PW updates, I'm sure that will get sorted out
3. Not to be rude, but your guild chat is kinda irrelevant for the big picture.
Personally, I think it would be better improve everything we already got, than update to newest version.
Why? I said how an update should be more prioritized because if they do as you said, all of those "improvements" will need to be worked on again before the update, which again, is bound to happen
The minecraft launcher itself helps us to install older versions, and you can swap the version in an easy way.
True, but my accessibility and playerbase points still stand.
We already got a few months ago, do we need to have another in so low amount of time?
We didn't have a major maintenance since Revelius tbh. But even if we did, it will take weeks just to review this suggestion. Then if it gets accepted, months until the update is ready. And only then we would have another maintenance. I understand that the Dev team is small, but what does that mean in this scenario? Wait for more devs before we update lol?
Again, my suggestion is just about making updating a higher priority (as well as the texture pack issues which aren't fully connected with just updating) mainly because I think we're getting too far behind + all the benefits I named

Pankakes

Animorphus
Griffin
Still waiting for that before I reply to u.
Sorry I forgor 💀

Pros:
  • Newer versions of Minecraft have better performance mods (than OptiFine) (Sodium, Starlight, Lithium + Iris (Shaders mod), Distant Horizons), many people don't have that good of a PC and are reliant on OF
  • Higher build limit. - The lake could be deeper than it is now (1 block) giving us new quests underwater
  • More particles and blocks
  • If PW was only on one version, less time would be spent on development, because currently we need two texture packs due to the 1.13+ version having different block IDs than 1.12-
  • More custom items as netherite tools have 2031 durability points compared to 1561 of diamonds
  • Pre 1.15 the max size of a Resource pack is 50MB, after this version it's 100MB, adding a lot of headroom for things such as emissive maps, wink wink
Cons:
  • A ton of dev time required for basically a complete overhaul and bug testing to make sure the new version is stable.
  • Not sure if the build height would be doable without major rework of the map, due to many things having set locations.

Ivan_

Professor
Sorry I forgor 💀

Pros:
  • Newer versions of Minecraft have better performance mods (than OptiFine) (Sodium, Starlight, Lithium + Iris (Shaders mod), Distant Horizons), many people don't have that good of a PC and are reliant on OF
  • Higher build limit. - The lake could be deeper than it is now (1 block) giving us new quests underwater
  • More particles and blocks
  • If PW was only on one version, less time would be spent on development, because currently we need two texture packs due to the 1.13+ version having different block IDs than 1.12-
  • More custom items as netherite tools have 2031 durability points compared to 1561 of diamonds
  • Pre 1.15 the max size of a Resource pack is 50MB, after this version it's 100MB, adding a lot of headroom for things such as emissive maps, wink wink
Cons:
  • A ton of dev time required for basically a complete overhaul and bug testing to make sure the new version is stable.
  • Not sure if the build height would be doable without major rework of the map, due to many things having set locations.
so basically a lot of pros that take time and effort. Which is exactly why im saying, start focusing on it now.

Pankakes

Animorphus
Griffin
so basically a lot of pros that take time and effort. Which is exactly why im saying, start focusing on it now.
Well, all those new blocks, particles, items would need texturing. If the higher build limit wouldn't work out nicely, the whole map would need to be moved up/down, along with all the NPCs, floating text and more. As for the plugins and technical side, I have no idea how much work it'd take as I do not know the current state of it.

I too want PW on 1.18.2, but this task would definitely take a year. Remember, recently there's been a lot of restructuring and promised future updates. First they'd need to finish what they started and after that, focus only on porting PW to newer version.

Honey_Dwarf1

Archivist
Minecraft IGN: Honey_Dwarf1
Phoenix Raven
another problem is lag, since PW has lots of particles, magic and the resource pack. while with newer updates there may be better lag-reducing mods, the game itself gets laggier as well (my computer personally begins to struggle at around 1.15)

Ivan_

Professor
another problem is lag, since PW has lots of particles, magic and the resource pack. while with newer updates there may be better lag-reducing mods, the game itself gets laggier as well (my computer personally begins to struggle at around 1.15)
that only depends on the server and the things they are using.

suzie

Notable Magician
Staff
Minecraft IGN: 20zuzka04
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Vampire Prefect SPEW Sr. Poltergeist
Hiya there @Ivan_ !

I'm happy to say that this suggestion has been accepted! Updating Potterworld to a higher version is one if the development team's top priorities through 2023. It's something that will take a while, but as we have mentioned in recent development blogs it's where our focus is shifting to. We'll also be elaborating on the upgrade in the future!

Thank you so much for creating this suggestion and we hope you have a great day!

Pankakes

Animorphus
Griffin
I'm happy to say that this suggestion has been accepted! Updating Potterworld to a higher version is one if the development team's top priorities through 2023. I
Is the dev team aiming for a specific version or is it more like "we'll see how far we can push it" ?

{1.18 perhaps ? Higher build limit, deeper Hogsworth lake and new (under)water quests, yes :D ?}

Ivan_

Professor
Is the dev team aiming for a specific version or is it more like "we'll see how far we can push it" ?

{1.18 perhaps ? Higher build limit, deeper Hogsworth lake and new (under)water quests, yes :D ?}
i believe the current plan is to update to 1.16, so sadly we wont be getting the bigger build limit quite yet.

Pankakes

Animorphus
Griffin
i believe the current plan is to update to 1.16, so sadly we wont be getting the bigger build limit quite yet.
I wonder if they'll drop support for previous versions once they update. Maintaining 4 different resource packs for >1.12 and 1.13 (16x, 32x) is pain, can't imagine maintaining the whole server.

Ivan_

Professor
I wonder if they'll drop support for previous versions once they update. Maintaining 4 different resource packs for >1.12 and 1.13 (16x, 32x) is pain, can't imagine maintaining the whole server.
i believe it will support a variety of versions (probably not 1.12 and 1.13 tho). Server rn is run on 1.10 and it supports 1.11-1.13 i think. So im not sure how it will be in future.