DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Please Delete This

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: luckiestblock
Honeybadger
EDIT 10/28/20: After rediscovering this thread I have discovered my views have changed considerably on fast travel to the point where after all the "On Hold" suggestions are implementing I am fine with the current fast travel systems and thus don't really have any suggestions anymore.

Last edited:

Scoobydoolego

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Scoobydoolego
Honeybadger
I agree with you. Fast travel is extremely useful, and I think that there is a better solution to exploration than nerfing all travel. But I personally don't think that your suggestions address the problem either. They would increase exploration, but only in and around the town areas, which would be explored anyway with fast travel. The problem is not that important areas don't get explored, but that everything in between that has been meticulously crafted it rarely explored.

Although I disagree with the decision to make travel so difficult, I believe that it will be fine. The Minecraft server Wynncraft has travel similar to that of the Revelis Update: a few abilities that give extra mobility (volo, appareo, ascendio), teleport scrolls (warpkeys/firedust) that can be bought in each town for a fairly high price, and horses that are difficult to get and barred at a certain level (brooms). It may seem like its terrible because travel is difficult, but it's actually very manageable. Even though it has an extremely large map (probably bigger than the new world map) and it takes a very long time to cross, you almost never find yourself having to travel across the whole map. Occasionally it gets boring to run across the map to get to an important area, but even then there's still plenty to find. It's actually a really fun map to explore because when I'm just trying to rush my way to a quest I might find a secret area or new monsters to fight. If I could teleport anywhere I wanted for virtually free, it wouldn't be as interesting.

That is what I think Potterworld travel will end up being like: slower, but more interesting and immersive. And although I have some problems with it (most notably fire dust being so expensive), I think that overall it will be a positive change.

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Honeybadger
The Minecraft server Wynncraft has travel similar to that of the Revelis Update:
I have never heard of Wynncraft, I guess I should probably check it out, to see how fast travel works there. It's difficult for me to visualize how everything will work and how much of a slog the lack of fast travel will be until the actual update when I am going that distance and seeing everything. I don't know, I am sure that staff will be receptive to change and will add easier fast travel if it becomes necessary, I am just worried, I like this server a lot and almost every single game-play mechanic is going to change, and change is worrying.
They would increase exploration, but only in and around the town areas
I think I should of been more clear, what I was trying to say was that in the utopia in my own head "exploration tokens" would be spread into the "regions" of the 5 different "big important" towns kind of like the Wilderness now and that you would have to explore the entire region and get all the tokens.

Thanks for responding, I understand now that it probably won't be as big of an issue as I am thinking it will be and generally I am looking forward to the update.

Scoobydoolego

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Scoobydoolego
Honeybadger
I have never heard of Wynncraft, I guess I should probably check it out, to see how fast travel works there.
I encourage you to try it out; it's a very fun server and I really enjoy it.

I think I should of been more clear, what I was trying to say was that in the utopia in my own head "exploration tokens" would be spread into the "regions" of the 5 different "big important" towns kind of like the Wilderness now and that you would have to explore the entire region and get all the tokens.
Ah, thanks for clearing it up.

Kate

Animorphus
Staff
Minecraft IGN: TbhKate_
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf Discord Moderator SPEW Sr. Game Designer
The idea of this new travelling system that discourages the use of warping is to encourage exploration of the map, while also making it easy for players to set homes at certain towns where they are completing quests. Perhaps I am misinterpreting your suggestion, but aren't your "exploration tokens" just the same thing as the floo system? Fire dust will still be implemented but it will be slightly harder to obtain, as you will need more gold to get fire dust. The only difference that I can see is that instead of buying fire dust, you're finding exploration tokens. I understand that these tokens could promote more exploration of the towns, but to be honest I'm not sure if much more incentive to explore towns is really needed. There are upwards of 80 world quests already, and practically every town has a bunch of secret areas for players to find on their own. Additionally, these areas already have secret chests in them that already give gold, useful ingredients, xp etc. Therefore, with the secret chests and the world quests already implemented, I'm not sure that these exploration tokens are really needed because the fire dust system allows for faster travel to major towns, and players should already be motivated to explore the new map without these tokens.

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Honeybadger
but aren't your "exploration tokens" just the same thing as the floo system
Thanks for responding, again I poorly worded that section and clarification is necessary, I apologize. When I originally had the idea I wanted them to be a permanent "collected once" item that allow you to have the warp forever once you get them all, kind of like when you collect all 50 Easter eggs in the spring event, I understand chests was a bit deceiving and I probably should have used something like "spot" or "particle area".
The idea of this new travelling system that discourages the use of warping is to encourage exploration of the map,
I understood this and this is how I originally had the idea. I sympathize with people who say fast travel discourages exploration, even agree with them to a certain extent. What I take issue with is when you have done all the quests and explored it all and want to just get to a place quickly. The exploration token idea was just a idea for a check by the game to make sure you had explored significantly but looking back it is kind of unnecessary. So what if you were given a warp if you complete all the quests in the area? That way its obvious the player has "finished exploring" and can be rewarded with an easy way to get back to the general area they need to get resources from.

Just an idea, thanks for being groovy, and I am generally looking forward to the update.

Kate

Animorphus
Staff
Minecraft IGN: TbhKate_
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf Discord Moderator SPEW Sr. Game Designer
So what if you were given a warp if you complete all the quests in the area? That way its obvious the player has "finished exploring" and can be rewarded with an easy way to get back to the general area they need to get resources from.
I think this is an aspect of your idea that could really work. Perhaps once a player has finished all of the quests for an area, they could be given permanent access to that area from then on. Although I'm not sure how drastically that would interfere with the floo system, I really like that idea. I'm interested to see what the Poltergeist team has to say about this one!

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Honeybadger
I think this is an aspect of your idea that could really work. Perhaps once a player has finished all of the quests for an area, they could be given permanent access to that area from then on. Although I'm not sure how drastically that would interfere with the floo system, I really like that idea. I'm interested to see what the Poltergeist team has to say about this one!
Thanks, I am glad at least some broken shard of my illegible nonsense can be considered <3
EDIT: I personally don't think it will interfere with the floo system too much if it is done in limited quantities
(5 warps for example)

Last edited:

Zadanthalion

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: ZADANeth
Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix
I do agree that some sort of fast travel system for these key places should be available at some milestone. It's not realistic to think after a while I'm ever going to want to spend 6 mins or so just to get to the area I can start helping someone - and I love being able to help newer people. It'll be fine at first, but I know from the way I play games usually that without efficient fast travel it's hard for me to stay into the game... That's why I struggle so much with the wilderness sometimes because I can't travel there effectively to just do the daily mob quests, so I just don't do them. It was cool exploring the first time, but now I just want a port there without having to buy the one time use every time.

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Honeybadger
I do agree that some sort of fast travel system for these key places should be available at some milestone. It's not realistic to think after a while I'm ever going to want to spend 6 mins or so just to get to the area I can start helping someone - and I love being able to help newer people. It'll be fine at first, but I know from the way I play games usually that without efficient fast travel it's hard for me to stay into the game... That's why I struggle so much with the wilderness sometimes because I can't travel there effectively to just do the daily mob quests, so I just don't do them. It was cool exploring the first time, but now I just want a port there without having to buy the one time use every time.
Thanks for explaining the desire for fast travel far better then I ever could.

MamaDuckie

Head of Media
Head Staff
Staff
Minecraft IGN: MamaDuckie
Staff Head Staff Raven
Hello! Since the thread posters views have changed and the suggestion no longer applies, I'm going to close out this suggestion. Thank you for the time you took to make one though and we hope to hear from you again in the future.