DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Proximity Voice Chat - (Minecord Plugin)

I think it would be very cool if PotterWorld added a feature known as proximity voice chat. This is where you are in a discord voice call and if you move close to a player you will be connected to the same voice chat so you can talk. If there are multiple players next to each other they will all be in the same call. I believe this would be a cool addition because it would improve the experience of playing on PotterWorld. Of course you would be able to choose if you wanted to be in proximity voice chat or not. I think that many players would like this feature to be added.

Link to the plugin on Spigot: https://www.spigotmc.org/resources/minecord-voice-chat-in-minecraft.59479/

(Example of what the Discord Bot does when two players walk up to each other.)
af1a7f16dfe1f1dbf13b8e462104b174cac81918.gif

Lizzie

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Rhines
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire
While I do think proximity voice chats are interesting, it's understandable that they removed the Labymod voice chat. There is virtually no way to moderate these chats without illegally recording them, and players could break chat/voice chat rules without staff finding out. For instance, if a player was violently swearing in a voice chat, but no mods were with them if a young player with discord joins and hears them swearing, things could get worse.

While I do think proximity voice chats are interesting, it's understandable that they removed the Labymod voice chat. There is virtually no way to moderate these chats without illegally recording them, and players could break chat/voice chat rules without staff finding out. For instance, if a player was violently swearing in a voice chat, but no mods were with them if a young player with discord joins and hears them swearing, things could get worse.
That is true but you choose to be in it and maybe acknowledge that there could possibly be swearing.

Lizzie

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Rhines
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire
That is true but you choose to be in it and maybe acknowledge that there could possibly be swearing.
There could be instances of players saying much more drastic things. The fact is, proximity voice chats cannot be moderated, and some players when using it might not be aware of the risks they'd be taking using it.

Why was labymod voice chat disallowed? I get that it's hard to moderate, but isn't that the case with any voice chat? What's so different about proximity voice chat?
I completely agree

There could be instances of players saying much more drastic things. The fact is, proximity voice chats cannot be moderated, and some players when using it might not be aware of the risks they'd be taking using it.
Maybe they could sign like a message that tells them what might occur in the voice chat?

Also it's literally the same thing as the discord voice chat except you get moved channels more often. What's so bad about that? You don't always have to be in the discord call to play on the server.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Psycho
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
This seems like it would be a better alternative to the Labymod voice chat that isn't allowed on the server which they did say that it was hard to moderate - I guess since it required staff to also have Labymod voice active whilst on the server?

With this Minecord plugin that you suggested, I would think that there shouldn't be a problem with it being added since it seems like staff can also moderate it through the PW Discord. Although, I'm assuming that staff would be able to join any of the Minecord chats through Discord even if they weren't within proximity with the player?

I could see this being useful with Player Roleplay or Official Roleplay Events.

This seems like it would be a better alternative to the Labymod voice chat that isn't allowed on the server which they did say that it was hard to moderate - I guess since it required staff to also have Labymod voice active whilst on the server?

With this Minecord plugin that you suggested, I would think that there shouldn't be a problem with it being added since it seems like staff can also moderate it through the PW Discord. Although, I'm assuming that staff would be able to join any of the Minecord chats through Discord even if they weren't within proximity with the player?

I could see this being useful with Player Roleplay or Official Roleplay Events.
Correct

RobotWizz

Magician
Minecraft IGN: RobotWizz
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire VIP Werewolf SPEW
Why was labymod voice chat disallowed? I get that it's hard to moderate, but isn't that the case with any voice chat? What's so different about proximity voice chat?
To add on what Lizzie said, with Labymod voice chat you couldn't choose to join a voice chat like a normal voice chat - so you might hear people swearing profusely when you don't want to hear it, whereas on discord for example you choose to join a channel, e.g swearing so you can expect it.
But it really boiled down to it being hard to moderate and we are a family friendly server foremost.

Bailey

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: viewful
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire
Hello, and thank you for making a suggestion for Potterworld!

I will bring this to light to the Poltergeist team immediately and gain feedback in order to give you a response as soon as possible. Thank you again, and take care!

Aviforma

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Aviforma
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent SPEW
Make it unmoderated. It's worth the risk. You can always put a disclaimer that it's use at your own peril.

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: TallBlondeDude
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
Make it unmoderated. It's worth the risk. You can always put a disclaimer that it's use at your own peril.
I think that you should need to react to a post or run a bot command that then sends you a confirmation that it will be unmoderated - this way as it was put "No little kids would wander into violent swearing". I dont see how this would be any different then the knockturn chats, in terms of there not always being a staff member present.

I think that you should need to react to a post or run a bot command that then sends you a confirmation that it will be unmoderated - this way as it was put "No little kids would wander into violent swearing". I dont see how this would be any different then the knockturn chats, in terms of there not always being a staff member present.
I completely agree with this :D

Bailey

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: viewful
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire
Hello,

I brought your idea up to the team and unfortunately, we will be declining this suggestion at this time. After much consideration, the team came to the conclusion that this has been declined for the same reason as why we don’t allow labymod voice chat. Having something like this would make it extremely difficult for us to moderate the channels. This might also be an issue for younger players as there are swearing channels on the discord and some players might not be comfortable with that. We liked the reasoning behind this but just feel it would not work well and some players might find it annoying.

Once again, thank you so much for making a suggestion though! We greatly appreciate it!