DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Put an end to Events

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Minecraft IGN: MattyPoltergeist
Serpent Werewolf
This is certainly a controversial suggestion but I think it would be an improvement for Potterworld to stop doing events (perhaps after Systems 2.0 has been released). Since Revelius, the server has had over 15 events and many roleplay events, including some very fun ones such as the current Halloween one. However, in the same period, there has been a lack of unique long-term content (except quests) and it seems apparent that using so much of staff's resources on events is not an effective method of sustaining a playerbase. I think, as well as having big updates, Potterworld needs a staff team that is constantly outputting new content , which would include small updates, rather than just the events and the large updates like Walden, Woodshire, and Systems 2.0.

I would also like to highlight the recent Butterbrew and Halloween Events as an example of where staff resources could have been used to enhance long-term gameplay rather than the short-term gameplay of events:
- The effort spent building Barrel Racing maps could have been dedicated to new maps for flying
- The idea of battleships in the Butterbrew Event could have been a great spring board for creating a Wizarding Chess game
- The parkour and mazes could have been permenant additions
- Some of the games to get tokens (in the Halloween Event) could have been added to Party Games
- The AI used for the Halloween bosses could have instead been used to enhance the lacklustre AI of normal mobs
- The effort that went into decorating the Halloween event could have gone into making new builds on the live world (of which there are many suggested possibilities)
- Halloween potions could have been used to add some new potions to a severely lacking professions sytem
- The lore created could have been used to enhance the story of PW more generally rather than just the event
- And of course the live world could always use more quests (which both events had)
This is not to say that any aspects of the events should have been added permenantly but that the effort spent on implementing the events could have been used to improve the server in the long-term.

Instead of events, perhaps Potterworld could mirror the old House Cup celebrations with a decorated courtyard / Great Hall and a collectable for the big seasonal periods. Of course, there would be a worry about a lack of events causing a smaller playerbase, however I think a continual flow of good updates would counteract this and hopefully have the opposite effect.

Last edited:

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
This is certainly a controversial suggestion
You tryna be me or smth? 🤣
it would be an improvement for Potterworld to stop doing events
Improvement? No. I did say a cpl of times that events are taking too much resources, they're taking a long time to make. I assume it became a bit easier for the team after they started reusing content and builds, but the events still seem to be the main focus, both for staff and players. Personally, I think that something small like anniversary 2023 is enough to still have a celebration without it being hard to make. Spring was also a cute event, even tho it was made by one person from what I know. So my point is, PW shouldn't just get rid of events, but I'm totally fine with them being a bit more casual with less content.
there has been a lack of unique long-term content (bar quests)
It seems like quests is the only thing we get nowadays - and for the 100th time, quests are not long term content. Even if replayable.
large updates like Walden, Woodshire
Wouldn't call those "large", gameplay wise, they're just a few new quests (yes, quests again) and reputations (quests again..). I do feel like we get a lot of smaller updates, but they don't really make the game. Adventures are their try to add a different kind of gameplay, but adventures are like a divided quest to me.
I agree with other things you mentioned, a lot of things go into events for them to be used for a week or two. Even if reused for the event next year, or in some other way, it's just not as efficient as it could be as a permanent addition. Its about prioritizing things, rn it seems like events are a priority over the world, and that shouldn't be the case.
At the end of the day, without overthinking, everyone wants to get on PW and do something. From my POV, any new event or quest, I finish it fairly quickly and that's about it. I stopped dueling bc i lag (and dueling itself kinda died). Minigames aren't as popular and I don't find HnS that entertaining. I don't fight mobs bc it's not worth it, and the mobs aren't that fun to fight as they were. Gauntlet also became laggy to me and I did it over 100 times. Classes happen only so often. World minigames are hard to get to and there's so little of them. Chest runs - no. There's not a content I can do on my own that's entertaining and has replay value - and that's what they should think about for 2.0

Last edited:

Allandrk

Magician
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Allandrk
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Poltergeist
I'm totally with Ivan. Events are taking a lot of time and efford to make, but they are what keeps the server alive. Honestly I only play when theres an event. You can see it when a new event is announced, there will be like 100 people online and when it ends theres like 20 people online. I woulnd't mind some events being smaller, like the anniversary event, and I definitely miss the Great Hall being decorated! If there would just be a few events chosen to be actual big events, like WW and halloween, and the rest a bit smaller. I think that way there would be more resources available for long-term content, and there would still be enough people around to play it.

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: TallBlondeDude
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
personally revelious was a mistake and there is no fixing it. 2.0 might help but i wouldnt get your hopes up. events are a nice bandaid and have content that can often be reused, although it does feel like stuff such as the halloween gauntlet could and should be evergreen (additionally we should have been able to challenge up to 7 ghosts).

littledead

Magician
Staff
Minecraft IGN: littledead
Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf DD Editor Sr. Poltergeist
Hello @MattyPoltergeist ,

Thank you for taking the time to make this suggestion, however, it has been declined as this is not something we are interested in pursuing. We won't be doing away with events, as they are an integral part of the server. We will however be shifting resources around so that events will not require such large quantities of input from the teams in the future. This will mean things like returning to old locations and bringing back old content. We still will be adding new content where we are able to. We will also be re-evaluating our smaller events this year to see which ones are feasible for us to do.

Nevertheless, thank you again for your suggestion, and have a wonderful day!