DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

"Remote" Classes

Zadanthalion

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: ZADANeth
Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix
Good day Potterworld Fans and Team!

I hope everyone is having an awesome one and gearing up for a good weekend. I had commented on a previous post talking about lowering the cost of resting the spell tree and I wanted to repost that idea as its own thread.

I would like to see the implementation of remote classes. What do I mean by this? There are already automated bot messages that come through the server on a timed basis. So why can't professors program in a lesson plan by writing out what they would say:

"Hello class, welcome to blah blah blah."

"How are you all doing"

- chat unmutes, we respond, chat mutes after 20 seconds

"Great, blah blah blah"

"First we're going to start with the rules of the class blah blah blah"

- Give players notepad -

"Notes are givin"

When they do /turnin I can think of two different options to be able to utilize this system - either hire on more class helpers who are able to access these assignments and are tasked with grading X number of them per day or create an automated grading bot that can go in and check for grammatical accuracy, length, and accuracy to the notes. Or have class helpers who are scheduled to that timezone moderate the class and grade these right after.

They could assign the points to the account directly when grading or they could create a token that they send that is bound to the player when they open the mail that when used gives them the AC for the assignment if they weren't directly moderating and grading in the class.

Nyn

Professor
Minecraft IGN: xNyn
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Ngl, I'm slightly confused about what you are suggesting.

If I understood correctly, you want grading to be automatically done by bots? I completely disagree with this and it would give no reason for Class Helpers. Half the Professor's job is grading, and I don't understand how a bot could grade the same as a Class helper does manually. Sometimes grading can take a while, but it's not a big issue, imo.

If I misunderstood lmk and I will edit this post or make a new one <3

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: luckiestblock
Honeybadger
This is an interesting idea; I assume the reason you suggested it is to free professors up from actually doing the class so more classes can happen. Everyone enjoys more classes but in reality I don't think that would happen, classes typically have 3-4 staff and with this automated system it would result in 2-3 class helpers. Personally I like that there is human to human interaction and one final thing, how would questions be asked? That would mean that those Class Helpers would have to be in the class and be online at that time, kinda revoking the purpose of a remote class (I think). I don't know like Nyn maybe I am misinterpreting this, it is a really good idea though and innovation to classes sounds amazing, unlike the rest of Potterworld at least to my knowledge they have not changed much.

Zadanthalion

Animorphus
Ngl, I'm slightly confused about what you are suggesting.

If I understood correctly, you want grading to be automatically done by bots? I completely disagree with this and it would give no reason for Class Helpers. Half the Professor's job is grading, and I don't understand how a bot could grade the same as a Class helper does manually. Sometimes grading can take a while, but it's not a big issue, imo.

If I misunderstood lmk and I will edit this post or make a new one <3
No, completly misunderstood. I'm suggesting automated classes. So say Cleck has a PE class at 8pm, for other timezones his class can be programmed in for say 12pm and 4pm of the same day so other timezones can enjoy the class. There can be a limit to you being able to attend the class once a day if they feel it needs it but I think it would be fine if you wanted to grind out all 3. It could be the exact same lesson as that scheduled 8 where he is actually there doing it, or they could program in multiple and it can shuffle.

Professor works within their timezone, more work is available for helpers as there are more classes to moderate and papers to grade even without professors being able to physically be there. You essentially only need 1 person to run it so they can start it and teleport everyone in. Then it automates the rest with bots and the people grade the papers.

Zadanthalion

Animorphus
This is an interesting idea; I assume the reason you suggested it is to free professors up from actually doing the class so more classes can happen. Everyone enjoys more classes but in reality I don't think that would happen, classes typically have 3-4 staff and with this automated system it would result in 2-3 class helpers. Personally I like that there is human to human interaction and one final thing, how would questions be asked? That would mean that those Class Helpers would have to be in the class and be online at that time, kinda revoking the purpose of a remote class (I think). I don't know like Nyn maybe I am misinterpreting this, it is a really good idea though and innovation to classes sounds amazing, unlike the rest of Potterworld at least to my knowledge they have not changed much.
The idea is that with it fully automated to run the class, there can be more classes when the professors are unavailable but it also means that if needed a single class helper or two could operate the class themselves because it would be just looking for inappropriate behavior, answering questions, and grading.

Nyn

Professor
I'm suggesting automated classes. So say Cleck has a PE class at 8pm, for other timezones his class can be programmed in for say 12pm and 4pm of the same day so other timezones can enjoy the class. There can be a limit to you being able to attend the class once a day if they feel it needs it but I think it would be fine if you wanted to grind out all 3. It could be the exact same lesson as that scheduled 8 where he is actually there doing it, or they could program in multiple and it can shuffle.

Professor works within their timezone, more work is available for helpers as there are more classes to moderate and papers to grade even without professors being able to physically be there. You essentially only need 1 person to run it so they can start it and teleport everyone in. Then it automates the rest with bots and the people grade the papers.
Okay, I think I understand now :)

One thing I don't understand is, how will questions be asked / answered? If messages are automatically sent (rules, explanations etc) then people cannot ask or answer questions. This will be a big issue, especially for newer players on the server who don't know how classes work.

I disagree with this suggestion. This will be a big issue, especially for newer players on the server who don't know how classes work. Yes it would be better if there are more classes, but this is not a great solution.

Zadanthalion

Animorphus
Okay, I think I understand now :)

One thing I don't understand is, how will questions be asked / answered? If messages are automatically sent (rules, explanations etc) then people cannot ask or answer questions. This will be a big issue, especially for newer players on the server who don't know how classes work.

I disagree with this suggestion. This will be a big issue, especially for newer players on the server who don't know how classes work. Yes it would be better if there are more classes, but this is not a great solution.
As I repeated a few times, the class helpers would still be present. It would be the exact same thing as a class except the professors wouldn't have to be online which means the class helper could run more classes because they would be automated for the teaching. Eventually that would help them run their own classes should they choose to do so as well.

Aviforma

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Aviforma
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent SPEW
Honestly, a large portion of the lessons are just copy pasting with delays between messages. A bot could execute this easily. The grading portion would be difficult, but, as Zadanthalion said, class helpers would still be able to do that. I also believe that it was indicated that more classes would be interactive in the future?

Nyn

Professor
As I repeated a few times, the class helpers would still be present. It would be the exact same thing as a class except the professors wouldn't have to be online which means the class helper could run more classes because they would be automated for the teaching. Eventually that would help them run their own classes should they choose to do so as well.
Omg, sorry! I guess I was still confused- I'm just dumb dw

Personally, I would rather classes stayed the same as they are. The Professor, and Class Helpers are there during every class. The only thing I'd change about classes currently is having them more interactive. I haven't been to many classes since Revelius so maybe they have become more interactive, idrk xD

Zadanthalion

Animorphus
Omg, sorry! I guess I was still confused- I'm just dumb dw

Personally, I would rather classes stayed the same as they are. The Professor, and Class Helpers are there during every class. The only thing I'd change about classes currently is having them more interactive. I haven't been to many classes since Revelius so maybe they have become more interactive, idrk xD
I guess you're fortunate enough to be in a timezone where classes are regularly happening in a playable hour outside working and school and such. The reason they NEED to implement something like this, or hire a lot more staff, is to accommodate larger areas with more frequent content and much needed AC to level up and explore the spell trees and land of Revelius. It does nothing but benefit the community to implement this, staying stagnant makes things eventually fall apart and getting ahead of this issue by making classes more available would help server load throughout the day and increase overall users without them having to compromise things like staying up till 3am for a class when there is work or school at 6-9am and next day.

Zadanthalion

Animorphus
Honestly, a large portion of the lessons are just copy pasting with delays between messages. A bot could execute this easily. The grading portion would be difficult, but, as Zadanthalion said, class helpers would still be able to do that. I also believe that it was indicated that more classes would be interactive in the future?
Exactly! And interactive classes would be even easier, maybe one single class helper could run that and all they'd need to do is moderate and answer questions because the actionable ones are just like a quest. You do the thing, or you don't do the thing.

Nyn

Professor
maybe one single class helper could run that and all they'd need to do is moderate and answer questions because the actionable ones are just like a quest. You do the thing, or you don't do the thing.
By saying a single class helper could run the class would not be right, as that's the Professor's job. Class Helpers mainly grade - but idk what they to behind the scenes, as I am not one myself -_-

Aviforma

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Aviforma
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent SPEW
By saying a single class helper could run the class would not be right, as that's the Professor's job. Class Helpers mainly grade - but idk what they to behind the scenes, as I am not one myself -_-
If all they have to do is run a command to start a bot's message sending, I don't think they need a professor? Any class helper could handle that.

Zadanthalion

Animorphus
Exactly, and if the professors lesson was programmed in, a helper could run the class because they would just be moderating and grading and the lesson would be automated.

If all they have to do is run a command to start a bot's message sending, I don't think they need a professor? Any class helper could handle that.
That's correct! This is the point, it allows them to be able to do more and it benefits the community. They also learn how to run classes which is good for being a professor if they want to later on.

Nik_Blazius

Magician
Minecraft IGN: Nik_Blazius
Honeybadger
So why can't professors program in a lesson plan by writing out what they would say:
Honestly, a large portion of the lessons are just copy pasting with delays between messages. A bot could execute this easily.
I'm sorry Professors and Helpers, but you are partly bots. Every class has the same ritual, but why?

"Hello class, welcome to blah blah blah."
"How are you all doing"
- chat unmutes, we respond, chat mutes after 20 seconds
"Great, blah blah blah"
"Notes are givin"
To be honest I don't understand why it's a thing. Actually, we don't do anything like this in Hungary, and maybe it's the same in Eastern Europe.
1. In real life most of the teachers are rarely interested how the students are doing. From most of my friends I've never heard questions like "How are you doing?", our conversation is more constructive. Questions about playing in HP or feedback could be asked for example.
2. I'm afraid I'm not interested in how the Professors and the Class Helpers are. Maybe it would help if I knew them, but I only see them in class.
3. It's a waste of time, the class it not about personal problems. Would someone properly care if I said my problems there?
4. This type of communication is a roleplay. Why should I be dishonest and play that I'm interested and why should I be overly positive? "Thanks, I'm fine <33 I love this class. xoxo" IT'S A LIE.
5. How are you? and What's up? are the most irrelevant questions. You ask nothing and you get an answer about nothing.
I'm not pessimistic or cruel, but it looks very dishonest to me. I left the global chat because of the same problem. It's important to be positive, but I often feel overreaction in messages. It's important to be nice, but you are not nice because you ask how people are or answer that you like the class. To be helpful and honest is the best you can do. I would appreciate if classes were more living, spontaneous and individual, so I DON'T think remote classes are a good idea.

Personally I like that there is human to human interaction and one final thing, how would questions be asked? That would mean that those Class Helpers would have to be in the class and be online at that time
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: I didn't want to hurt anybody, please tell me if I did.

Last edited:

Matt Silvius

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: SLGMatt
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Hey!

Thanks for the suggestion!
I'll be bringing this up with the rest of the Poltergeist team and get back to you as soon as we have a decision! <3

~Matt

Matt Silvius

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: SLGMatt
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Hi Zadanthalion,

I wanted to firstly thank you for your suggestion. It was interesting to hear your idea and see how you developed it as others responded.

However, unfortunately, this suggestion has been declined:

A huge part of Academics and classes is the interaction that can happen between Professors/Class Helpers and the students. Outside of the introductions, many classes utilise questions and trivia as part of their plans, as well as time for chatter. This would be lost with automated classes. Ultimately, it would end up feeling a lot like world quests, which is something we would like to avoid.
Alongside this, the Professor positions would become ineffective or obsolete. We do not want to take their role away or cause this to happen.
Something that would prove difficult to do is grading. We do not have a system that can automatically grade assignments. This would be exceptionally difficult to do as we do not grade assignments based upon their spelling or grammar. We have a large community on this server, many of these players come from all over the world and may not have the best skills when it comes to written English.

Academics are slowly integrating more interactive classes, with the intention to make classes more fun and unique. As this happens, an automated class becomes more difficult, with classes including Professor run activities and such. As the Academics team grows, the opportunity for more classes increases as well.
Professors do have real life commitments, which means that it isn't always possible to host classes. However, we do our best to make each one a fun and unique experience to plays both old and new.

I hope this goes some way to explaining our reasoning for declining the suggestion.
Again, thank you and have a great day!

~Matt