DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Remove Searcher

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: TallBlondeDude
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
Hey its Tall, the #1 QB theory crafter with the most all time most catches!

Thesis: Searcher should be removed because its bad game design, existing merely as a remnant of a game with purposeful bad game design that QB is no longer officially based on due to its game impact and interactions with other roles.

Background Information:
QB has long been viewed by sweats, and in particular the morte family (who have made up the bulk of the top 10 throughout the ages), as 2 semi-intersecting games. There is the passer game, and the searcher game. The passer game involves the bruisers, defenders, and passers. The searcher game is the searchers and the occasional bruiser, although its sub-optimal for the bruiser in most* games.

When looking at the final score, one of the sub-games will have had a greater impact then the other. The score of the winning "passer" game - the losing passer game will be referred to as Delta Passer, and similar for searchers with Delta Searcher.

Scoring Notation is (Goals - Catches) {total score}**

* Right now passer steal is so brokenly OP it might be worth always having 1 bruiser target the other searcher exclusively since smart passer play will allow one to play defense.

**optional

Point 1: Game Impact:
At the end of the game, one two things may happen: Both delta may favor one team, in which case that team wins by their sum, or they differ. In this case, the team with the delta that is larger on their side wins. For example, in a (4 - 3){130} vs (2 - 5){170}, the passer delta was 20 points favoring team 1, and the searcher was 60 points favoring team two. As such, team two wins by 60- 20, or 40 points. In this case, the searcher's (1 player vs 1 player) was worth more then then passers (up to 6 v 6). This is frankly absurd. For example, what if in basketball their was a 6th player who got to shoot a free throw every 30 seconds for both teams. This is 1 person having an impact that cant be "countered" by anyone then their own 6th man. This is what searcher effectively plays as, a gimmick to allow lesser teams to cheese a win over better ones. However, one could argue that the skill that is needed to be a searcher justifies the effect it has. And I am sympathetic indeed to that argument, I have over 7k catches and have carried/won some truly insane games that the other teams talent was vastly better then mine. However, if I was truly that good I could go bruiser, passer, or defender, and have impact - vying in competition against the skill of the opponents.

The opposite of this also holds true - for example, if the delta searcher is less then the delta passer the searchers impact is not felt, and its as if that player didn't play that game. Yet this is in my opinion much more preferable to the alternative, as this is effectively playing as if searcher wasn't a role - this suggestion itself.

Overall, searcher allows one player to take their teams destiny into their own hands - sure it feels great when it works for the winners, but the losers feel robbed, and when it doesn't work, the searcher feels bad - like they let down their team. Because they did. In QB rn searchers are capable of outscoring passers easily, so if you lose you can *always* blame your searcher, and *always* be right, because if they played better you would have won. This can not be promised for any other role - A passer could get permaed, a defender/bruiser may not have a good enough passer core.

Point Two: Interactions with other roles

This was briefly mentioned earlier, but the searcher game is largely independent of the other roles - no matter how much they wish to help. A bruiser struggles against a searcher due to their additional speed, as a bruiser is tuned to a passer. Passer and defenders obviously cannot have an impact. So overall, we have 1 (and *maybe* a bruiser) player effecting the fate of the team.

Compare this to the passer sub-game. You have an interplay between the other three roles, with coordination and teamwork. Any one player can have impact, but no impact is un-counterable by another player. A brilliant passer/bruiser can break a defender/bruiser, and the defender/bruiser can stop a passer. There is room for innovative team plays, that actually make QB really interesting.

Lore:

Seeker in HP lore is a device to make the game revolve around only Harry and point out how silly wizards are. For example, look at the world cup. The twins bet on krum snitch but still losing, which was considered absurd. QB is branching off from HP lore due to the copyright issues, so why not make a change in the positive direction? I understand some people may like the lore or flavor aspect, but is lore/flavor worth sacrificing the fun of individuals who play the game?

Ending Points:
I don't hate the idea of searcher, I have played it arguably more then any other singular player. However, when I was asked the question "What would a balanced and fair searcher look like?" I could find no answer that felt genuine to me. If anyone has a brilliant idea for searcher I haven't encountered, please leave it below. As for now, all suggestions I see either leave it unable to impact the game (equivalent to removing it) or able to impact the game in a manner which leads to this dynamic of violating the gameplay of other individuals.

Suggestions:

Rework searcher in a way that I cannot come up with.
Have a 2 week trial period without searcher, then conduct a feedback form.

Last edited:

vanya

Magician
Minecraft IGN: egg_AV
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Vampire
what if in basketball their was a 6th player who got to shoot a free throw every 30 seconds for both teams
i dont really like basketball, this sounds silly and i think it would make the game funnier
QB is branching off from HP lore due to the copyright issues
this is barely even true - they changed "snidget" to "swippet," but other than that the game has the same level of relatedness to HP as it did before
is lore/flavor worth sacrifising the fun of individuals who play the game
people join potterworld BECAUSE of the lore; it's what makes it fun. imagine new players joining the server and trying out qb - a huge part of the books - and seeing that the most prominent role in the series isn't even a part of the game. is making the game a little more balanced worth sacrificing the essence of the game and server?
suggustions I see either leave it unable to impact the game (equivilant to removing it)
i honestly think that making it slightly harder is okay enough of a rework (what they've already done) - yeah, its still not completely balanced, but i also just don't think it's that deep. people still love playing qb despite its flaws (i like the flaws imo bc i think theyre goofy) and searcher makes the game what it is.

also me saying I'm good with how theyre changing searcher comes with the assumption that soon enough theyre gonna fix the flaws they've made with passer and other roles like the stealing range (PLS fix that) etc.

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
what if in basketball their was a 6th player who got to shoot a free throw every 30 seconds for both teams
i dont really like basketball, this sounds silly and i think it would make the game funnier

Funnier a good game doesn't make. I am sure soccer would be funnier if people could just full on tackle and throw pies at each other, but there is a reason it isnt this way.

this is barely even true - they changed "snidget" to "swippet," but other than that the game has the same level of relatedness to HP as it did before

The point of this is that its possible to deviate further away, as its no longer as closely tied to cannon.

people join potterworld BECAUSE of the lore; it's what makes it fun. imagine new players joining the server and trying out qb - a huge part of the books - and seeing that the most prominent role in the series isn't even a part of the game. is making the game a little more balanced worth sacrificing the essence of the game and server?

Yes. I am sure a reasonably intelligent player would realize why seeker isnt there, and if not they can ask.

i honestly think that making it slightly harder is okay enough of a rework (what they've already done) - yeah, its still not completely balanced, but i also just don't think it's that deep. people still love playing qb despite its flaws (i like the flaws imo bc i think theyre goofy) and searcher makes the game what it is.

Just because its good doesn't mean it cant be better.

also me saying I'm good with how theyre changing searcher comes with the assumption that soon enough theyre gonna fix the flaws they've made with passer and other roles like the stealing range (PLS fix that) etc.

Fun fact: RN seacher is actually better then it was pre-rework!

Last edited:

vanya

Magician
a reasonably intelligent player would realize why seeker isnt there
again, people who join pw join for the hp experience. i don't think any new player, regardless of whether they're "reasonably intelligent" would think "they must have removed searcher completely because they couldn't think of another way to make the game more balanced!" having never played QB before
Just because its good doesn't mean it cant be better.
removing searcher completely doesn't make it better though, it just ruins it because its no longer qb
Fun fact: RN seacher is actually better then it was pre-rework
yea, that's what I said. i don't think searcher post-rework needs to change at all, they just need to fix passer and some of the other bugs and it'll be more balanced. i don't see the point in talking abt removing searcher while there's other parts of the game that are clearly more broken and fixing them first might fix the problem itself

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
again, people who join pw join for the hp experience. i don't think any new player, regardless of whether they're "reasonably intelligent" would think "they must have removed searcher completely because they couldn't think of another way to make the game more balanced!" having never played QB before

this isnt a bad thing even if so. id rather play a server that values fun over authenticity.

removing searcher completely doesn't make it better though, it just ruins it because its no longer qb

then nerf searcher into the ground. the heart of QB lies in the passer gameplay, thats where the teamwork and role interaction happens. I disagree entirely that this makes it no longer qb, the same thing could have been said about: drop tech, ball stall, def reworks, bruiser nerfs (They all shifted the meta and effected roles in a major way). Previous suggustions for reworking searcher, indirect or not have been rejected, so the nuclear option is now on the table.

yea, that's what I said. i don't think searcher post-rework needs to change at all, they just need to fix passer and some of the other bugs and it'll be more balanced. i don't see the point in talking abt removing searcher while there's other parts of the game that are clearly more broken and fixing them first might fix the problem

I agree, passer does need to be fixed. I also have a form post about that. But this is the second biggest issue RN, so putting it off doesnt make any sense, its not like people cannot talk about more then one thing at a time.

itself[/QUOTE]

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
Hey its Tall, the #1 QB theory crafter with the most all time most catches!

Thesis: Searcher should be removed because its bad game design, existing merely as a remnant of a game with purposeful bad game design that QB is no longer officially based on due to its game impact and interactions with other roles.

Background Information:
QB has long been viewed by sweats, and in particular the morte family (who have made up the bulk of the top 10 throughout the ages), as 2 semi-intersecting games. There is the passer game, and the searcher game. The passer game involves the bruisers, defenders, and passers. The searcher game is the searchers and the occasional bruiser, although its sub-optimal for the bruiser in most* games.

When looking at the final score, one of the sub-games will have had a greater impact then the other. The score of the winning "passer" game - the losing passer game will be referred to as Delta Passer, and similar for searchers with Delta Searcher.

Scoring Notation is (Goals - Catches) {total score}**

* Right now passer steal is so brokenly OP it might be worth always having 1 bruiser target the other searcher exclusively since smart passer play will allow one to play defense.

**optional

Point 1: Game Impact:
At the end of the game, one two things may happen: Both delta may favor one team, in which case that team wins by their sum, or they differ. In this case, the team with the delta that is larger on their side wins. For example, in a (4 - 3){130} vs (2 - 5){170}, the passer delta was 20 points favoring team 1, and the searcher was 60 points favoring team two. As such, team two wins by 60- 20, or 40 points. In this case, the searcher's (1 player vs 1 player) was worth more then then passers (up to 6 v 6). This is frankly absurd. For example, what if in basketball their was a 6th player who got to shoot a free throw every 30 seconds for both teams. This is 1 person having an impact that cant be "countered" by anyone then their own 6th man. This is what searcher effectively plays as, a gimmick to allow lesser teams to cheese a win over better ones. However, one could argue that the skill that is needed to be a searcher justifies the effect it has. And I am sympathetic indeed to that argument, I have over 7k catches and have carried/won some truly insane games that the other teams talent was vastly better then mine. However, if I was truly that good I could go bruiser, passer, or defender, and have impact - vying in competition against the skill of the opponents.

The opposite of this also holds true - for example, if the delta searcher is less then the delta passer the searchers impact is not felt, and its as if that player didn't play that game. Yet this is in my opinion much more preferable to the alternative, as this is effectively playing as if searcher wasn't a role - this suggestion itself.

Overall, searcher allows one player to take their teams destiny into their own hands - sure it feels great when it works for the winners, but the losers feel robbed, and when it doesn't work, the searcher feels bad - like they let down their team. Because they did. In QB rn searchers are capable of outscoring passers easily, so if you lose you can *always* blame your searcher, and *always* be right, because if they played better you would have won. This can not be promised for any other role - A passer could get permaed, a defender/bruiser may not have a good enough passer core.

Point Two: Interactions with other roles

This was briefly mentioned earlier, but the searcher game is largely independent of the other roles - no matter how much they wish to help. A bruiser struggles against a searcher due to their additional speed, as a bruiser is tuned to a passer. Passer and defenders obviously cannot have an impact. So overall, we have 1 (and *maybe* a bruiser) player effecting the fate of the team.

Compare this to the passer sub-game. You have an interplay between the other three roles, with coordination and teamwork. Any one player can have impact, but no impact is un-counterable by another player. A brilliant passer/bruiser can break a defender/bruiser, and the defender/bruiser can stop a passer. There is room for innovative team plays, that actually make QB really interesting.

Lore:

Seeker in HP lore is a device to make the game revolve around only Harry and point out how silly wizards are. For example, look at the world cup. The twins bet on krum snitch but still losing, which was considered absurd. QB is branching off from HP lore due to the copyright issues, so why not make a change in the positive direction? I understand some people may like the lore or flavor aspect, but is lore/flavor worth sacrificing the fun of individuals who play the game?

Ending Points:
I don't hate the idea of searcher, I have played it arguably more then any other singular player. However, when I was asked the question "What would a balanced and fair searcher look like?" I could find no answer that felt genuine to me. If anyone has a brilliant idea for searcher I haven't encountered, please leave it below. As for now, all suggestions I see either leave it unable to impact the game (equivalent to removing it) or able to impact the game in a manner which leads to this dynamic of violating the gameplay of other individuals.

Suggestions:

Rework searcher in a way that I cannot come up with.
Have a 2 week trial period without searcher, then conduct a feedback form.
Searcher is the most important role in both HP and PW. You can't get rid of it. Even in HP, searcher could catch the snitch right away and it's game over. So I think the solution is simple, make the snitch harder to catch.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Psycho
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
I think they need to lower the amount of points per swippet caught before they think of removing Searcher completely.
If they do make the swipper really hard to catch, then it's likely that people will just avoid playing the Searcher position.

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Summing up peoples arguments:
"I like searcher lore wise - so lets keep it"
Fair enough, refer to the point where I equated removing searcher to nerfing it into the ground. Make the snidget worth less and get progressively harder to catch, so searchers wont have more then ~50 delta.

"Make it harder to catch"
This just exacerbates the problem - Good searchers will continue ruining games (something I am guilty of, its not just like I hate searcher bc i lose to it), and bad searchers will continue to have no impact (tolerable).

I am well aware people wont like this suggestion - it seems radical, even stupid. That is why im preposing a trial period, because I belive it will lead to a much more healthy and fun game. If you don't like it even after the period - vote no then.

vanya

Magician
it should just unbelievably hard to catch.
I wasn't gonna reply to this thread anymore but there's more I wanna say lol! I don't think it should be unbelievably hard to catch at all. I think something we’re forgetting is that the biggest deciding factor in each game for how balanced it is is just which players happen to fall on the same team. If you’ve got 2 skilled players on one team and 1 skilled player on the other, the team with 2 will win most of the time. It comes down to which team best organized their positions to beat the other team.

^This kind of also goes with what tall said earlier: “In QB rn searchers are capable of outscoring passers easily, so if you lose you can *always* blame your searcher, and *always* be right, because if they played better you would have won.” If there's no one on the team that could have done a better job than the seeker that was playing, there’s no reason to be upset with them (and I haven’t seen many cases of people being upset with them in these situations). I have seen *people get upset with others when someone takes the position before a more experienced player gets the chance to, and then doesn’t give it up. But as I said earlier, they lost because the team coordination/organization was poor, not because the searching position is unbalanced.

I also think that when passers have to outpass searchers, it adds a higher sense of competition to the game. Without a searcher that could score 30 points for their team at any given moment, a passer knows they’re safe as long as they’re 10 points ahead - the game is too predictable, which is what I think makes it more boring. With the searcher, the passer knows that 10 points aren’t enough, and they have to work harder to score more goals to secure a win.

Overall I think making searching a little harder by decreasing the catching range (what they’ve already done) is the solution to the searcher problem. Making it nearly impossible/decreasing the value of a swippet caught is pretty much the same thing as getting rid of it altogether game-wise, which I don’t support.

Lilian

Dragonologist
Minecraft IGN: Liyl
Auralock Dark Follower Serpent
personally, i disagree with removing searcher as a role. however, i agree that the role is incredibly unbalanced.
I'd be fine with searching to stay in the game, it should just unbelievably hard to catch.
while most tweaks of the game have included making the swippet harder to catch, the end result of these nerfs have simply landed with the skill cap increasing and in turn making the role even more broken seeing as talented searchers will have a significantly higher impact than novice ones.

currently, quabbleball has become a much lower scoring game than the original version. while before your average queue game with decent players would result in a score of perhaps 180-90 now your average score is around 30-20. this means that a single catch from a searcher, 30 points, can easily tilt the entire game.

i believe either lowering the points given from catching the swippet to 20 or raising the points from goals to 20 would even it out

Ivan_

Professor
Summing up peoples arguments:
"I like searcher lore wise - so lets keep it"
Fair enough, refer to the point where I equated removing searcher to nerfing it into the ground. Make the snidget worth less and get progressively harder to catch, so searchers wont have more then ~50 delta.

"Make it harder to catch"
This just exacerbates the problem - Good searchers will continue ruining games (something I am guilty of, its not just like I hate searcher bc i lose to it), and bad searchers will continue to have no impact (tolerable).

I am well aware people wont like this suggestion - it seems radical, even stupid. That is why im preposing a trial period, because I belive it will lead to a much more healthy and fun game. If you don't like it even after the period - vote no then.
If its harder to catch the snitch, it's harder for everyone, whenever you're good or bad. I dont see why good searchers are "ruining" the game - if they're good, well, their team should win (again, i do think searcher is the most important player). If you think it's too easy for them to catch the snitch - make it harder to catch one. But your point is like saying, oh let's remove good spells from soulshard wars bc only good duelists win.

Last edited:

Lilian

Dragonologist
Minecraft IGN: Liyl
Auralock Dark Follower Serpent
If its harder to catch the snitch, it's harder for everyone, whenever you're good or bad. I dont see why good searchers are "ruining" the game - if they're good, well, their team should win (again, i do think searcher is the most important player). If you think it's too easy for them to catch the snitch - make it harder to catch one. But your point is like saying, oh let's remove good spells from soulshard wars bc only good duelists win.
I think ur forgetting the skill factor of the game
say ur taking an exam and it's hard asf, but half of the exam is extra credit and the questions are almost impossible. someone who is truly diligent will be able to answer those questions and ace the test with a surplus of points whereas ur average student will probably get a mediocre to below mediocre score. This applies to making the swippet harder to catch. the imbalance of skill will allow good players to ruin the game by consistently catching the swippet whereas ur novice player will seldom catch it.

Padnora

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: padnora
Honeybadger Dark Follower Phoenix
say ur taking an exam and it's hard asf, but half of the exam is extra credit and the questions are almost impossible. someone who is truly diligent will be able to answer those questions and ace the test with a surplus of points whereas ur average student will probably get a mediocre to below mediocre score. This applies to making the swippet harder to catch. the imbalance of skill will allow good players to ruin the game by consistently catching the swippet whereas ur novice player will seldom catch it.
i agree

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
I wasn't gonna reply to this thread anymore but there's more I wanna say lol! I don't think it should be unbelievably hard to catch at all. I think something we’re forgetting is that the biggest deciding factor in each game for how balanced it is is just which players happen to fall on the same team. If you’ve got 2 skilled players on one team and 1 skilled player on the other, the team with 2 will win most of the time. It comes down to which team best organized their positions to beat the other team.

this doesnt happen because of searcher. The value searcher can bring is worth more then every other role combined. For example, the ideal passer team can get around 20 goals rn and the idea searcher can get around 9 catches. The searcher is outputting more value then an entire team. This is the reason i made this post, because your statement is false and I wish for it to not be so.

^This kind of also goes with what tall said earlier: “In QB rn searchers are capable of outscoring passers easily, so if you lose you can *always* blame your searcher, and *always* be right, because if they played better you would have won.” If there's no one on the team that could have done a better job than the seeker that was playing, there’s no reason to be upset with them (and I haven’t seen many cases of people being upset with them in these situations). I have seen *people get upset with others when someone takes the position before a more experienced player gets the chance to, and then doesn’t give it up. But as I said earlier, they lost because the team coordination/organization was poor, not because the searching position is unbalanced.

People get upset when their searcher loses, but are smart enough to not say it. In regards to the coordination issue, the fact it even is a major issue proves the point that searcher is broken. If people are losing because their best player couldn't play the protagonist role, it says something about the balance of roles: they are not.

I also think that when passers have to outpass searchers, it adds a higher sense of competition to the game. Without a searcher that could score 30 points for their team at any given moment, a passer knows they’re safe as long as they’re 10 points ahead - the game is too predictable, which is what I think makes it more boring. With the searcher, the passer knows that 10 points aren’t enough, and they have to work harder to score more goals to secure a win.

I talked with people in DC and agree that perhaps nerfing searcher into the ground - im talking peaking around 50 delta on average could make it more tolerable. But at the end of they day if you as a passer team are steam rolling the other passer team, you *deserve* to win, because you ARE playing better. Having a random second factor from you are playing is just poor game design.

Overall I think making searching a little harder by decreasing the catching range (what they’ve already done) is the solution to the searcher problem. Making it nearly impossible/decreasing the value of a swippet caught is pretty much the same thing as getting rid of it altogether game-wise, which I don’t support.

What they have done is clearly not enough of a solution, because the issue still exists in QB today.

Ivan_

Professor
Again, how is a good player ruining a game by doing something he's clearly talented at?