DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Restricted Section Riddle

Mallaidh

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: scarvlover
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Werewolf
Recently we've seen the return of the daily riddle, however there is one riddle that poses a pretty big problem.
The riddle is,
"Stowed away in the back
Of this room of thought
Lies an area, locked away
If you dare venture in
You best not get caught"
and the location is inside of the restricted section.

The problem is that after Revelius, the restricted section has become locked off. You need a key to get in there, and this requires you to complete a pretty hard parkour to get this key. A lot of people don't have this key, so this is a very difficult riddle. Okay, so that's fine... a difficult riddle.

Except, this riddle is extremely low level (I'd like to say level 3? But could very well be wrong here) which means it has a very small reward and is intended for low level players to complete. If somebody is new, due to the way riddles assign to players based on their level, this is one of the first riddles they will get.

My proposal is that the riddle is either
1) removed (unlikely, definitely not ideal)
2) moved to the restricted section door (probably the best solution)
3) moved to a much higher level, giving it a higher reward and not almost immediately assigning it to new players (only good in theory to be honest, may not make the most sense as hogsworth is a low level area with low level mobs, riddles and quests)

nathan1e

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: nathan1e
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
(I'd like to say level 3? But could very well be wrong here)
Yes, this riddle is for players who are level 3 or higher as can be seen in this random link idk what this is
It gives a whopping 10 gold and 925XP, truly a worthy reward for completing such a difficult parkour (or letting Leyak do it for you, cough cough @Caroliin cough cough)

Mallaidh

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: scarvlover
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Werewolf
One more point I forgot! If you cannot do a riddle, you cannot move onto the next riddle. Each day you get the same one. For lower levels, this is one of the first riddles you get so if they are unable to access the restricted section they will be stuck on the same thing for many days and may not be able to progress through the daily riddle system at all.

FlatJambo

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: FlatJambo
Honeybadger Auralock
I would recommend they add something about refreshing riddles. For example, if you are stuck, let you refresh the riddle to get a new one. Then you can wait another day for the next riddle. This way you can progress through the riddles until you are able to complete all of them.

nathan1e

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: nathan1e
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I'm not sure about refreshing them, since it wouldn't really be daily, but was there anything wrong with the old system where it would give you a new riddle every day?
The difference with the old system is that the old system just had a bunch of riddles that literally anyone could complete, whereas currently the riddles are level-specific. I'm pretty sure they had to do that so the system ties into how specific locations are also level-specific.

Anyhow, given that, the system can't just give you any new riddle every day as it's designed to give you the riddle that's specific to the level closest to your level. I made this suggestion earlier to ask for riddle cooldowns to be lowered to 23h 30m, but that was declined for this very reason.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Psycho
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
I had this riddle for three days before being told that I was able to get someone else to open the Restricted Section Door for me. It was kinda frustrating knowing that I knew the riddle but wasn't able to access it due to not having the key to open the door. Then again, I had to ask chat a few times if anyone had the key to open it for me and even offered a gold reward to see if someone would take it.

Doing this as a beginner riddle with the addition of the ridiculously long library parkour seems a bit much especially for new players that are still learning the ways of the server. I agree with the second proposal with moving the riddle NPC to the front door of the Restricted Section. And if the only reason to get the Restricted Section Key was to access the riddle NPC, then that would be disappointing due to how difficult that parkour can be for most players. Don't get me started on how disappointed I was when I received a miniscule gold reward from that riddle NPC too.

Grace

Graduate
Staff
Minecraft IGN: PinkWeezie
Honeybadger Auralock Staff Vampire Wizencouncil SPEW Lead Scribe Lead
Hey there,

Thank you so much for your suggestion for the server! With the riddle NPC being located inside the restricted section, I can definitely see the frustration with this. I am going to go ahead and bring this up with the other Poltergeists to see how they feel about it. Once we have discussed it, I will reply with the decision.

Hope you have a fantastic day! :)

Motionic

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: Motionic
Dark Follower Griffin Vampire
Hello @Mallaidh Callaway! I am pleased to inform you that your suggestion has been accepted. We agree that the parkour is difficult, therefore getting to the riddle can be a big challenge. Therefore, we will be moving the riddle NPC to just outside the restricted section. This change will be implemented very soon. I truly hope to see more suggestions from you in the future! Have a wonderful day!