DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Revelius Suggestion: Warpkey System

Which method of transportation do you use the most?

• Warpkey / Floo system

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • Brooms / Flying

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Walking

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters

Sof

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: oldromantics
Auralock Dark Follower Raven SPEW
Heya everyone!

Revelius is all anyone is talking about now, and after listening to the Q&A, I'm sure many people have suggestions. One of the main points that stood out to me was the warp system and how limited it will become. As someone who uses warps regularly, I was obviously somewhat stunned by the major change. However, I feel that it would be best to consider some other suggestions that could help develop the idea of a more limited teleport system.

Warping is a huge part of travel on Potterworld currently. In fact, it has defined travel on the server. When someone needs help finding something, you can warp to it. When new players need help finding locations, they are directed to their warpkey bag. When people are lost, they are told to do /spawn, which has turned into a warp hub. By taking away (or limiting) the ability to warp, it will throw many things out of balance, such as helping newcomers or completing quests. The map is supposedly going to be more connected, and though brooms will be a lovely way to travel, they can be extremely laggy for some people. It can be difficult to fly even a few blocks with lag, and if we must rely solely on brooms, it may discourage people from exploring.

To combat these issues, I thought of a way that warps could be earned. As mentioned in the Q&A, you will be allowed to set one warp; a "home base," if you will. However, I suggest a different way that is based off of this idea:
lvl 1 - 1
lvl 11 - 2
lvl 21 - 3
lvl 31 - 4
lvl 41 - 5
lvl 51 - 6
lvl 61 - 7
lvl 71 - 8
lvl 80 - 9
Each year, you will earn the ability to add another warp. These will be the only warps you will be able to get, rather than having one single warp. These 9 warps will fill one single row of a 'chest' or warpkey. Having this system will not only allow people to go to important locations, such as the Great Hall, but they will also be able to set a warp at the location of a quest NPC that they are interacting with. I suggest that the first year warp is automatically set to the Great Hall, as it will be of great help to newcomers due to Hogsworth being the center of attention.

Because focus is shifting away from warps and more towards exploration with the update, it is understandable that this system would have some time limits. However, I think it will be beneficial to consider this idea. I believe it will truly help people get settled after Revelius arrives and encourage people to explore to set new warps.

Have a great day everyone!

Scoobydoolego

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Scoobydoolego
Honeybadger
I agree that the new warp key system is very limited, and I like your idea. However, I think it would fit better with Harry Potter lore if whenever you discovered a new town or important area, you could look for a warp key to add to your bag. That way, it would still encourage exploration because you would have to find the warp key in each town, and you wouldn't be able to teleport to places you've never been before. Or perhaps there could be warp keys hidden throughout the map that you could find. Whenever you found one, you would gain one use on your warp key bag.

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
I think the purpose of the update is to make instant travel more difficult and more expensive, to encourage players to explore more on foot or on a broom. Besides, the fire dust network system will exist, just a bit more limited and far more expensive, so it's not like warpkeybags are the only way to travel. Location discovery still exists, it just doesnt unlock warps anymore (I believe there will be a seperate area where you can see areas that you have unlocked, which encourages players to try and find all these areas) which in my opinion would make travel far too easy. But I could see 1-use warp keys that are hidden throughout the map being useful, as long as they are only one use and not permanent, as they would give the player an opportunity to travel once

Zadanthalion

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: ZADANeth
Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix
Heya everyone!

Revelius is all anyone is talking about now, and after listening to the Q&A, I'm sure many people have suggestions. One of the main points that stood out to me was the warp system and how limited it will become. As someone who uses warps regularly, I was obviously somewhat stunned by the major change. However, I feel that it would be best to consider some other suggestions that could help develop the idea of a more limited teleport system.

Warping is a huge part of travel on Potterworld currently. In fact, it has defined travel on the server. When someone needs help finding something, you can warp to it. When new players need help finding locations, they are directed to their warpkey bag. When people are lost, they are told to do /spawn, which has turned into a warp hub. By taking away (or limiting) the ability to warp, it will throw many things out of balance, such as helping newcomers or completing quests. The map is supposedly going to be more connected, and though brooms will be a lovely way to travel, they can be extremely laggy for some people. It can be difficult to fly even a few blocks with lag, and if we must rely solely on brooms, it may discourage people from exploring.

To combat these issues, I thought of a way that warps could be earned. As mentioned in the Q&A, you will be allowed to set one warp; a "home base," if you will. However, I suggest a different way that is based off of this idea:
lvl 1 - 1
lvl 11 - 2
lvl 21 - 3
lvl 31 - 4
lvl 41 - 5
lvl 51 - 6
lvl 61 - 7
lvl 71 - 8
lvl 80 - 9
Each year, you will earn the ability to add another warp. These will be the only warps you will be able to get, rather than having one single warp. These 9 warps will fill one single row of a 'chest' or warpkey. Having this system will not only allow people to go to important locations, such as the Great Hall, but they will also be able to set a warp at the location of a quest NPC that they are interacting with. I suggest that the first year warp is automatically set to the Great Hall, as it will be of great help to newcomers due to Hogsworth being the center of attention.

Because focus is shifting away from warps and more towards exploration with the update, it is understandable that this system would have some time limits. However, I think it will be beneficial to consider this idea. I believe it will truly help people get settled after Revelius arrives and encourage people to explore to set new warps.

Have a great day everyone!
I really like this idea! And it is kind of similar to how one would apparate from location to location in the lore, but you'd have to be able to clearly picture it so you could realistically only go to so many places at a given notice. I dig it!

And you could also find portkeys in certain locations and store them - some kind of permanent portkey as opposed to the one time use teleports you can purchase in game now.

Pretty much the only thing I'm not looking to with the update is getting around the map with them making warp travel so difficult because like you, that has been my primary source of travel and I don't know if I want to fly across the map forever to just get to a quick location. Hopefully they address that. I'd explore once or twice, but when it comes to grinding things out I know I'd just not do it the same way I dropped doing the mob dailies because you can't just quick travel to the wilderness and I get tired of going all the way down to the boats to get out there.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Psycho
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
I want to experience how the updated warpkey system will play out first, but I'm also wondering how the new system would affect players that like to help others especially with finding riddles and quests. It was mentioned that floo powder would be expensive and there would be cooldowns to travel to places, so players may be reluctant to warp to another player to show them a specific place if they don't have the gold or time to do so.

I think Serpentella's idea is nice because it gives an additional incentive for going up a year, but I'm unsure how it would affect the gameplay that's being created for Revelius.

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Hello Serpentella,
Thank you for your suggestion! We are always looking for ways to improve the server, so players bringing up their opinions and ideas are really important to us!
After careful discussion, we have unfortunately decided to decline your idea. This is not something we want to implement, as we feel it would not fit into the way our travel system currently works, as well as the size of our map. Generally, it would also give higher level players more advantages, which can easily be exploited and used in an overpowered way, while not helping newer players much. This would be rather unfair, in our opinion. This suggestion would also undermine the focus of our server on exploration, which is not something we would like to have.
Nevertheless, thank you for your suggestion and we hope you will make more in the future!
Have a great day!