DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Some minor convenience settings for navigating spellcasting

ShareYourHead

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: ShareYourHead
Raven
I wish for two settings to be added in regards to navigating the spellcasting menu

First: In the settings tab under /me there should be an option to toggle whether or not your hotbar selection automatically snaps back to your wand. This setting would be called "snap selection to wand" (or something like that idk) and it would be on by default, as that's how it currently is. Additionally if this were implemented it would also need to be made possible to cast spells by clicking the mouse while holding the spell icon rather that only the wand (just a small troubleshooting tip)**

Second: I wish you could toggle autocasting for each spell (Autocasting meaning that the spell casts automatically when you select it's icon, such as the spell Lumen). The way I see this working is by dropping the icon item. When a user hovers over the spell icon while in their inventory, each spell icon will have text below the spell description that says;
"Autocast: On/Off
Press the drop item key to toggle autocasting."
When you hover over an item in your inventory and press Q (or whatever your drop item key is bound to), then it drops this item. Because of this it would be able to use the same toggle detection mechanic as the wand does when it toggles between the two pages of spells.

** (Footnote for my first idea. Contains technical resource pack language that not all will understand)
I acknowledge that not snapping back to the wand automatically could look strange because users would be holding spell icons rather than their wand. However I think this could be solved if the spell icon model was actually a multipart model combining both the icon and wand models (or rather a unique duplicate of each model for certain reasons). I have yet to test this but I think if both sub models used scaling values that were contrary to eachother you could potentially make it so while the item is displayed in the hand then only the wand model would be visible (and the spell icon would be shrunken down to a scale of 0), while when displayed in the hotbar the opposite is true.

First-person hand

Third-person hand

Inventory

Scale of wand model

Scale of icon model

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Drooble's Order
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect Drooble's Order
Hello and thank you for bringing this up to us!
I will now make sure this idea is brought up to the Poltergeist Team so that we can discuss it and get back to you once a decision has been made.
Meanwhile, have a wonderful time!

ShareYourHead

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: ShareYourHead
Raven
Hello and thank you for bringing this up to us!
I will now make sure this idea is brought up to the Poltergeist Team so that we can discuss it and get back to you once a decision has been made.
Meanwhile, have a wonderful time!
Thank you :)
FYI It's occured to me that my idea for how to make wands render correctly when in the player's hand is very flawed, but I have another idea I'll be testing, so let me know if the poltergeist team need help with the technical resource pack side of things.
Thanks!
-ShareYourHead

Edit: unless of course there's something that can be done on the plugin side of things to alter which item model renders in a user's hand, in which case my concept won't be needed

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Drooble's Order
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect Drooble's Order
Hello @ShareYourHead,

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, we will be declining both of your ideas because we feel like they both wouldn't really fit into how our magic system currently works. For the first one, holding the spell instead of the wand would be impossible to do, and we feel like it would take players out of the HP experience since casting should come from only the wand and for the second suggestion, it doesn’t exactly fit with the way we want magic to work on PW, and we would rather put our time and resources into other things.
We hope this is understandable and isn't too disappointing for you.

Take care and enjoy your day!