DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Talents are Worse than Spell Trees... Here's why PVE SPECIFIC

ahsvybes

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: ahsvybes
Auralock Phoenix Serpent
Listen listen, I know this long awaited talent reveal has been coming in for a long long time, hence all the excitement and hype involving it. But now that they are released, they are way more lack luster than all of us hoped they would be. I love Potterworld, but state that Talents are in right now is not good.

Cool downs. I don't know whose idea it was to nerf all our healing cool downs, but for real not cool. Not only are they unreasonably high and long for no reason, the cool down talent for healing is literally awful. It cuts off maybe 10 seconds of the cool down time. 10 seconds might seem like a lot, but it's cutting Vul from 53 seconds to 40, Maxed with spell trees was 20 seconds. Feruvio was down to 15 seconds maxxed with spell trees. Now, with full Medi, cooldown is 30 seconds. Still abnormally long and ridiculous. Ruining our cool downs is not a solution to rebalancing our spells. It is destroying PvE and heavy healing games.

Options and diversity. Spell trees were great because players got to pick and choose which specific spells they would like to amplify and use to their full ability. Now, with talents, we are forced to deal with the subjected picks staff has created. Talents are boosting virtually irrelevant spells that nobody uses. Now this is tanking our old damage spells and we don't even have the cool downs to fix this issue. Allowing talents to be more unique to a player's abilities is vital in talents succeeding. By boosting spells like Cometes and Leviocorprum is literally doing absolutely nothing. I didn't even know those spells existed. This is also going to create an issue with everyone using the exact same talent system. Once somebody figures out the best way to use it, everyone will use the same 5 tiers and it will basically just be Charms Master all over again.

Tiers. Having to choose between damage and healing is no bueno. We had a lot of spell points for a reason, so we could distribute them in a way we liked and still have a large amount of spells available to us. Making all the talents vague and not inclusive of many spell groups is pointless. We need to create a system where players can choose SPECIFIC spells they like to use. No point in giving us good damage for spells we don't want to use.

Damage boost - Does nothing. 15% is not nearly enough of a damage boost after the nerf, especially when healing boost is double that with twice the cool down. Lacerum and Contagious are also still pointless when players have been asking for a rebuff of them. I will not shut up about the curse nerf. I never will. It was totally unfair to all us curse users and to all our beloved Gauntlet players. #JusticeForLace

If PW designs a way to buff PvE and PvP different so both sides win thank you (for sam)

Talents neglect the efficiency of spells and their damage, as well as not being personalized to a player specifically. Everything is random and not useful what so ever. Dueling may be a huge aspect of Potterworld, but that does not mean we can jeopardize all other aspects of Potterworld that also involve damage in hopes of fixing dueling.

Last edited:

Sametric

Magician
Minecraft IGN: Sametric
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
This is all very wrong and a really poor take ngl. Loadouts was a horrible system that meant only one class was viable, granted I didn't play a lot because of this but Talents is 10x more appealing. Dueling is a massive apart of PW and this system completely fixes the problems we had so yeah keep talents ty

ahsvybes

New Magician
Auralock Phoenix Serpent
This is all very wrong and a really poor take ngl. Loadouts was a horrible system that meant only one class was viable, granted I didn't play a lot because of this but Talents is 10x more appealing. Dueling is a massive apart of PW and this system completely fixes the problems we had so yeah keep talents ty
Talents has no flavor what so ever and the damage scale is bad. Dueling is big, but it can't be the cover of bad updates just because we are fixing your thing but not everyone elses. Consider other player's who don't duel's position.

EdenLovesMommy

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: EdenLovesMommy
Auralock Dark Follower Raven
Talents has no flavor what so ever and the damage scale is bad. Dueling is big, but it can't be the cover of bad updates just because we are fixing your thing but not everyone elses. Consider other player's who don't duel's position.
ok so if I’m grasping what you are saying, pvp is fine and balanced and works great with talents (which is the truth) but talents are very limiting for pve, ie probably gauntlet because Ik you like that.

Sticktrees

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: SmellyBigBro
Dark Follower Griffin
Talents neglect the efficiency of spells and their damage, as well as not being personalized to a player specifically. Everything is random and not useful what so ever. Dueling may be a huge aspect of Potterworld, but that does not mean we can jeopardize all other aspects of Potterworld that also involve damage in hopes of fixing dueling.
To generally address your whole post, there wasn't a lot of testing that occurred for PVE. But, I was told that there is new tech that allows for different changes to be applied to PVE and PVP. Which is good. Honestly, I see talents as an absolute win compared to loadouts. Loadouts there was no personalization it was just a poor system that disallowed for any kind of variation. Also, spell trees was a system that was too integrated in PVP and PVE so it hurt the server more than it helped it. The idea of spell trees is good but, was executed in a poor manner. It limited variation of the higher damaging spells like Flamonstrum and Devorenox because you had to fully commit to that tree which wasn't worth to use compared to using hitscan spells like Ignatium, Casca, etc which only cost 4 spell points to unlock. I do agree though that talent values need to be adjusted more to help PVE or the other way around. IMO it should be gauntlet values that be change to help talents, also gauntlets were never in a good position to be balanced around. There are a few good fights but, generally it just doesn't feel fun to only have lacerum do dueling to complete the gauntlet.

ahsvybes

New Magician
Auralock Phoenix Serpent
To generally address your whole post, there wasn't a lot of testing that occurred for PVE. But, I was told that there is new tech that allows for different changes to be applied to PVE and PVP. Which is good. Honestly, I see talents as an absolute win compared to loadouts. Loadouts there was no personalization it was just a poor system that disallowed for any kind of variation. Also, spell trees was a system that was too integrated in PVP and PVE so it hurt the server more than it helped it. The idea of spell trees is good but, was executed in a poor manner. It limited variation of the higher damaging spells like Flamonstrum and Devorenox because you had to fully commit to that tree which wasn't worth to use compared to using hitscan spells like Ignatium, Casca, etc which only cost 4 spell points to unlock. I do agree though that talent values need to be adjusted more to help PVE or the other way around. IMO it should be gauntlet values that be change to help talents, also gauntlets were never in a good position to be balanced around. There are a few good fights but, generally it just doesn't feel fun to only have lacerum do dueling to complete the gauntlet.
I quite like the idea of integrating a system to max out high damage spells without commiting to a certain spell group. This could be an opportunity to integrate spell trees and talents together.

Yellow_Flower

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: TheVirgoKid101
Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire
I agree! I hopped onto gauntlet the other day, and the cooldown for vul was horrendous (and I use vul A LOT, and I die very quick without it) I was also expecting a big improvement with lace with the talents, but nothing happened. We need a fix for lace, and we can't leave this spell hanging like how it is now. Right now gauntlet is not a desirable mini-game to play right now imo due to all these obstacles. We just need a whole update that fixes all the gauntlet issues (not just lowering the health of a boss by a little bit.) So us level 80's can have our game back, and the same way as it was before.

Edit- Sorry if this reply was a bit off topic.

ahsvybes

New Magician
Auralock Phoenix Serpent
I agree! I hopped onto gauntlet the other day, and the cooldown for vul was horrendous (and I use vul A LOT, and I die very quick without it) I was also expecting a big improvement with lace with the talents, but nothing happened. We need a fix for lace, and we can't leave this spell hanging like how it is now. Right now gauntlet is not a desirable mini-game to play right now imo due to all these obstacles. We just need a whole update that fixes all the gauntlet issues (not just lowering the health of a boss by a little bit.) So us level 80's can have our game back, and the same way as it was before.

Edit- Sorry if this reply was a bit off topic.
Nope! PvE specific, so gauntlets apply!

Nives

Animorphus
Staff
Minecraft IGN: annivelation
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Staff Sr. Poltergeist
Hey @ahsvybes and and everyone else that replied!

We appreciate all your feedback and suggestions, but we will not be reverting Talents for PVE. While there is a slight overall damage nerf, there are now more spells that can be utilized and the system is best for PVE and PVP. However, we do notice the increased difficulty in the Revenant Gauntlet with the change to Talents. We will be slightly reducing the health and/or damage of the Enchantress and the Butcher to balance this issue. We hope you understand our decision.

Thank you for creating this suggestion and I hope you have a fantastic day!