DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

TABLE OF

CONTENTS

Feature

Editorial

Server Spotlight

Lifestyle

Original Works

Celebrating the Daily Diviner
Feature
Written by Silquer
Edited by littledead

Hello dear readers, and welcome to the special 100th issue of the Daily Diviner! Since the Daily Diviner’s revitalization at the end of 2019 and into 2020, the newspaper and team have seen a lot of growth. To commemorate nearly four years of the Daily Diviner and this significant milestone, let’s take a look back at the history of the Daily Diviner, some memorable changes, and what is in store for the next 100.

History of Daily Diviner
We can trace the history of the Daily Diviner back to the early years of the server, from at least 2017 onwards. Fun fact: the Daily Diviner wasn’t part of Media until 2019! After joining Media, the Daily Diviner underwent a few changes. The Lead Producers began to re-imagine how the Daily Diviner worked, from column changes to creating online issues for the forums. With the creation of the website Potterworld uses today, Daily Diviner posted its first issue of the new Daily Diviner on December 13th, 2019.

Since then, the Daily Diviner has had many Leads and Lead Producers, all of whom helped make the newspaper into what it is today. The founding Lead Producers were Joyfu1, Appella, Kittt, bestemma, who ran the Daily Diviner when the columns were still Server News and Roleplay News. The producers that worked on the 2019 revisions were Scientin, Polarxo, PotatoEmma, and Sunnya. Without all of these producers, many of them unmentioned here, the Daily Diviner would not be what it is today.

Then, in February of 2021, Lead Producers became the Producers we know today. The name was changed to avoid confusion as the “Lead” part of the name was transitioned over to our very first official Lead, MaggieChi. Currently, Producers are in charge of keeping Writers and Editors running smoothly while our Lead works with the team at large.

There have also been many column changes over the years. Before 2020, the columns looked very different! There were News, Feature, Opinion, Creative Pieces, and Sports. You can see the foundations of our current structure in these columns; News and Opinion became Editorial, and Sports became Game & Sports, which then was replaced by Student Spotlight, and finally Server Spotlight. Fun fact: buffer articles, articles pre-written by writers for later use, were originally introduced just after the Daily Diviner revisions. Creative Pieces became the beloved Orignal Works column (which, sadly, bit the dust in 2022), and believe it or not, the old Feature column became the Lifestyle, and the term was repurposed for the Feature we know today.

More recently, there were small changes to the word lengths of the articles. Prior to these changes, articles were lengthy (especially Feature!), and the team changed this to focus on more bite-sized and manageable pieces for our lovely readers.

Memorable Moments
Over the years, the team has had many memorable moments; nearly four years of changes, shifting team members, and amazing memories have led us to this issue, and lots of great things have happened between then and now.

Memorably, we have judged many writing competitions hosted by WizNetworkers in the past, from Staff Appreciation Day submissions to competitions open to all players. The 2021 Winter Writing and Art competition was a highlight, featuring fun holiday prompts that prompted creative submissions. We have also judged the writing competitions for Potterworld’s anniversary, with equally creative and heartwarming creative pieces that engage the creativity of the community. Judging these (and participating in some) was a delight!

Special Editions began almost two years ago (I can hardly believe it has been that long!), and since then, they have become an integral part of our team and our writing. Branching out to write themed articles does wonders for creative muscles, and the results are satisfying to see in-game alongside the event. Special Editions have seen many renditions over the past two years, but my personal favorite may be our first one in February of 2022 for the Valentine’s Event. I have fond memories of working with the team to create something brand new to match the theme of the event.

The Future
Now that we have taken a look into the past, let’s peer into the Daily Diviner crystal ball and take a look at the future…

If you scroll through the Daily Diviner’s past issues, you may stumble across the Feature of Issue #69, which hides a mystery in the writing. If you follow the hints in the article, you may just find something in-game. These interactive articles may have a place in Daily Diviner’s future…

For now, the team will continue writing, editing, and bringing the server its bi-weekly news. On a personal note, I can’t wait to see where the future of the Daily Diviner goes. This team has been a large part of my life for the past three and a half years, and it has been wonderful to watch the team grow as it welcomes new members and old. Where will we be in one year from now? How about another four? Only time will tell, and I hope you will join me along the ride to see what we can create. Here’s to another 100 issues!

Comments

Status

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Columns of Years Past and Present
Editorial
Written by Creme_de_Creme
Edited by bluecherub

Hello lovely readers and welcome to the Editorial column! This issue is a special issue for us here at the Daily Diviner. It is our 100th edition! In celebration of our centennial issue, I would like to take the time to review columns that are long gone and columns that are new! Let's start with columns of issues past.

Back in the earlier editions of the Daily Diviner, we had Games and Sports, Original Works, Breaking News, and Student Spotlight. Using Games and Sports, we were able to cover tournaments, minigames, and Arena seasons! Some articles covered tricks and tips to play such sports; others celebrated the wins of players. In the end, we found that the column was quite limited in the news that we could cover, and we could continue covering the same news using different columns such as the Editorial or Feature column. Thus, to the column graveyard it went.

Another column in the graveyard is the Original Works column. This column did not cover any news, but rather included stories written by our writers. While this column was a favourite for the Daily Diviner Writers, unfortunately it was not very popular with our readers, as it did not really cover any news. Additionally, with the roleplay team being disbanded, our Breaking News column was discontinued.

The most recent gravestone in the column graveyard is the Student Spotlight column. It was created to allow players to share their own talents, hobbies, and interests on Potterworld. With this column's creation, we received dozens of submissions and celebrated multiple players! Unfortunately, after being around for a year, the initial excitement of the column wore off until we stopped receiving submissions altogether. To pivot, we decided that we would make a brand-new column– the Server Spotlight column!

The Server Spotlight column is our newest column. It covers various aspects of our server, showcases the lore of the server, and highlights unique and fun facts or gameplay aspects that you might never have known about Potterworld. There are so many hidden Easter eggs that we are hoping this column will stick around for many more issues to come!

I hope you enjoyed a brief look at the columns of Daily Diviners past and present. Who knows what may come in the future? In the meantime, I hope you have a wonderful day. Until next time! This has been Creme_de_Creme reporting for the Daily Diviner.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Daily Diviner Lead Interview
Editorial
Written by MintyEagle
Edited by Calliequeen

Welcome, readers, to the 100th edition of the Daily Diviner! Over the past four years we have been putting out articles, there have been many changes with the types of columns, where you could find us, and even different leads. We’ve interviewed Silquer, Advisor of the Daily Diviner, and MamaDuckie, Head of Media and Public Relations and previous Lead of Daily Diviner, on what they plan to have happen next.

“We’re always looking to improve and bring the Daily Diviner to new heights!” Silquer said. “Since stopping our in-game book releases (with exceptions for Special Editions) and focusing on our forums, we have taken a step back from the intractability of being in-game. I would love for us to work with other departments more and really have an impact on the in-game world.”

We asked if there were any ideas for new columns, and MamaDuckie replied, “Perhaps! There are always ideas that rattle around in my head for The Daily Diviner. Whether or not they see the light of day is an entirely different story. I would like to think that while something may not work now, it may work at a later time, and vice versa. Perhaps one day we'll revive some old columns, or maybe we'll mix up something new in the Media kitchens for the readers. You never know!”

Although the team is moving towards new places, there are still some things in the past that are going to make a comeback! “In the past, we ran the Student Spotlight column, which highlighted players doing creative things on the server,” Silquer said. “Recently, our new column, Server Spotlight, has shifted to a broader scope of the server. However, bringing back student interviews would be wonderful, and the form for students to fill out is still open!”

Over the past 100 issues, the Daily Diviner has changed a lot. Many team members have come and gone, all having done great things for the newspaper, the Media Department, and the entirety of Potterworld. MamaDuckie and Silquer, along with the whole team, are working hard to make sure that the Daily Diviner is the best that can be. Until next time, thank you for reading, and we’ll see you for the next hundred issues!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

The Next 100
Server Spotlight
Written by MamaDuckie
Edited by LMNJ

Season’s greetings, reader! As the season (and year!) comes to an end, we get ready to say goodbye to-

Apologies. It’s a bit too early for April Fool’s pranks, isn’t it? Today we are actually celebrating the 100th bi-weekly issue of The Daily Diviner, something you have no doubt learned from our Feature and Editorial columns above. If you have not, I highly suggest checking them out to learn about the history of the team and more, but if you are here to hear from some of our readers you have come to the right place!

Our readers are an important part of the Daily Diviner publication. Without the readers, the Writers, Editors, and Producers would have no reason to put their work out there. Without them, we would not be celebrating issue #100 today, so it would only be right if we heard from some of them in this celebratory issue as well.

What are some of your favorite things about the Daily Diviner team? What are they, and why are they your favorite?
Kuroe: Special Editions! They’re just so different from their normal articles and gets me excited for the events!

Deathlish: I don't exactly have a favourite thing about the Daily Diviner, but I'll say that it's more used by those who are inactive; I feel like it's more centered around those people.

SxtanBot: I like reading about the different tournaments and upcoming content. Sneak peaks and teasers are really cool and getting to know about the winners and new tournaments is fun.

M_Engel: I like the Daily Diviner team for writing about the new releases from the server such as event and store releases. This way it makes me on pair of everything that is happening on the server. And sometimes, even remember quests or items that I forgot.

GuardianFlame: I don’t really have a favourite thing specifically, but those on the team I’ve had a chance to talk to are really nice!

littledead: My favorite thing about the Daily Diviner team is how kind and accepting everyone is. It feels like being part of a family. Everyone here is incredibly hardworking and passionate about we do, it inspires me to do my best too. Writing isn't easy and it requires a lot of vulnerability, and everyone apart of the Daily Diviner team are constantly working to improve and to lift each other up.

Do you have any favorite columns, articles, or issues? If so, what are they?
Kuroe: Oh! When they released the first Special Edition it became my favorite issue. It was so new and different compared to their other issues. And having the books back ingame again made me happy. The art on the forums page for it was really neat too!

Deathlish: Well, I do enjoy reading any tournament columns as well as Gameplay columns.

SxtanBot: I don’t have a favorite but I used to read the Games and Sports column a lot before they stopped it so I guess it was my favorite.

M_Engel: My favourite columns/articles are about the Student Spotlight to get to know amazing people. The Server Spotlight. Besides the content of "Feature" and "Editorial", for example, arena updates. I enjoy the ones written by whoohoo and Creme_de_creme when they end the sentence with "This has been Creme_de_creme reporting for Daily Diviner".

GuardianFlame: The quiz articles are always fun to read and do. I’ve also tried out a few recipes that have been published!

littledead: My favorite column would have to be Editorial. It's great for learning about what's new on the server and hearing the opinions of the writers. It's more personal and I've always liked that. The Editorial Column also shares the voices of other players and staff about things like Tournaments and Events. It's always nice to hear from the community.

Has anything written by the Daily Diviner team inspired you to do something on Potterworld? Explore somewhere new? Try something new? What about in real life? Have you been inspired by our craft and how-to articles? Or maybe inspired to write, edit, or even read more?
Kuroe: I haven’t had a lot of time to log on lately, but when I do I like to wander the castle. I remember reading an article a while ago about exploring for hidden places or something, so when I log on I try to find new things I haven’t seen before.

Deathlish: I haven't really read anything that's excited me enough to travel throughout Potterworld, it has its own journeys, through Quests and simple exploration. But it has given me some thought as to how they look at certain things within their articles.

M_Engel: The Daily Diviner team inspired me to look for the hidden coupon along with my friends that I met on Potterworld. We explored the towns to look for the items in last month's coupon (November).

GuardianFlame: Last year or the year before there was an article about Halloween costumes that I read and I’ve been having fun trying to make my own each Halloween since!

littledead: Although I am and Editor, our amazing writers have inspired me to work more on my writing. I love being able to work with different writers and see their different writing styles. This has helped me be more comfortable with my own writing and writing style. I hope to one day branch out into more writing endeavors because of the experience and support of the Daily Diviner.

Did the Daily Diviner team teach you anything over the years about Potterworld? Or perhaps about real life?
Kuroe: Lore! There’s sometimes fun snippets of lore in their articles that I’ve not seen or read anywhere else.

Deathlish: It hasn't taught me much, as I said, it is a news article, and as a Potterworld News Article, it informs me of what's been happening if I'm gone, or the upcoming things that could take place.

M_Engel: The Daily Diviner team taught me about understanding the events better and remembering the first-year quests.

GuardianFlame: Reading about the different teams and what they do is always interesting and fun to learn about!

littledead: The Daily Diviner has taught me that there are so many different aspects of gameplay available on Potterworld. Whether it be events, quests, mini games, classes, exploration, or just spending time with friends, everyone plays Potterworld differently and views the game in a different way. I think the best part of Potterworld is how passionate the community is and how everyone works together to make the server a better place.

Do you have anything you’d like to tell the Daily Diviner team?
Kuroe: You guys are awesome! I can’t wait to read the next Special Edition!

Deathlish: Just continue what you're doing, I gave Snot some advice which I'm sure they'll discuss with the DD Team in their own time. But yeah, I recommend just keeping things simple, clean and easy to read and understand.

SxtanBot: Thank you for all the hard work you put in to make some fun articles to read!

M_Engel: Thank you Daily Diviner team and everyone who makes it possible to keep writing and editing the DD articles and issues.

GuardianFlame: It’s inspiring seeing everyone put out their work for the world to read. Not everyone gets the chance to do that or is willing to take that chance. Thank you for being amazing and talented!

littledead: I just want to say thank you to the Daily Diviner team for being so kind to me over the past year, and also thank you for all of the hard work you do. Our team has gone through many changes, yet everyone has continued to be compassionate and are always giving 100%.

Alas, our time for today has run out, but that does not mean this is the last article in this issue, so stay tuned and check out our Lifestyle column below! Before you go, please join me in giving a massive thank you to those readers who gave an interview for this article and even those who did not.

We love hearing from you all, so if you see a Daily Diviner member in-game, on Discord or here on forums, be sure to say hello! From all of us in the Daily Diviner team, we wish everyone a wonderful holiday season! We will see you in 2024!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

What DD Position Are You?
Lifestyle
Written by whoohoo
Edited by Immites

Dear witches and wizards, welcome to another article in the 100th issue of the Daily Diviner! I hope you are all having a nice day and are doing well. Today, I have a quiz for you guys. At the end of this quiz, you will know exactly which Daily Diviner position you are! Let’s get right into it!

Question 1: When your friends are in trouble, what do you do?
A: Give advice to your friends to solve the problem
B: Split up in groups to solve the problem
C: Carefully think of ways to solve the problem on your own
D: Step up and take control

Question 2: It is time to go to the library! What book do you pick?
A: A large, old book with old newspaper stories collected within
B: A dictionary
C: A fantasy novel about dragons and princesses
D: A book of advice on grammar and spelling

Question 3: Which house are you?
A: Serpent
B: Griffin
C: Raven
D: Honeybadger

Question 4: You look into the Mirror of Desire. What do you see?
A: You see yourself signing multiple copies of your own published novel
B: You see yourself in front of a large company of many writers
C: You see yourself at the head of a meeting table for a specific newspaper column
D: You see yourself highlighting and suggesting improvements to a writer

Question 5: Where do you hide during hide and seek?
A: The tables
B: The rafters
C: Courtyard
D: Housing

Question 6: Which one of these would you like to eat the most?
A: Spaghetti
B: Pizza
C: Mashed potato
D: Hamburger

Question 7: Which one of these would you wear on a cold day?
A: A scarf
B: Earmuffs
C: Wool gloves
D: A hat

Question 8: Which of these hobbies would you like to learn/do?
A: Baking
B: Writing
C: Painting
D: Video Games

Question 9: If you had to pick an animal, which one would you like to have as a pet?
A: A dog
B: A cat
C: A hamster
D: A bird

Question 10: You are visiting a bakery to buy some baked goods. Which one of these are you taking home?
A: A cake
B: Cookies
C: Pretzels
D: Bread

If you have got mostly A as your answer, you are an Editor! Our Editors are hardworking people with a lot of patience.

If you have got mostly B as your answer, you are a Writer! Our Writers are very creative and always know how to set a scene.

If you have got mostly C as your answer, you are a Producer! Our Producers are great at giving advice and always ready to help you out.

If you have got mostly D as your answer, you are a Lead! Our Leads are very kind and always willing to listen to you if needed.

Thank you for doing the quiz! I hope you had a lot of fun, just like I did making it. I personally got Writer as my answer, which is very fitting due to my being one. I hope to see you all in the next edition!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

The News Seller and the Daily Diviner
Lifestyle
Written by Silquer
Edited by snotflower

Maya fixed her hair one last time, running a hand through her blond curls and setting them back in perfect place. The narrow building that housed the Daily Diviner was squished in-between a tiny music shop and a little alleyway in Carket Market, and Maya stood in front of the steps of the Daily Diviner building’s front, staring up at the windows and wondering what she would find inside. She mussed her hair a bit, smoothed it down again, and gathered her courage.

Today was her first day working at the Daily Diviner, and she wouldn’t have a single thing out of place. Up the steps, to the door, raise a hand to knock—fix her clothes, smooth down that wrinkle—and open the door.

Inside was quiet. Maya walked along the fluffy carpet to the main desk, peering into the shadows of the room. No one was there, but from the spiral stairs that led to the upper floors of the building, she could hear the sounds of commotion and conversation upstairs.

Gathering her courage, she cautiously made her way up. At the top, the entire Daily Diviner team worked away.

It was chaos. People typed rapidly on keyboards, others stood in circles and spoke heatedly about some topic, and paper planes were flying everywhere, carrying information from the top of the offices to the bottom.

“Maya!”

She twisted around to see her dear friend, Iris, who had graduated Hogsworth a year before her and had been working at the Daily Diviner ever since. Iris cut through the crowd easily; they embraced, and before Maya could begin to catch up, Iris grabbed Maya by the hand and dragged her through the offices.

“Welcome to your first day! The Producers want me to give you a tour. Here is our writing room. To your left are the Producer offices, and to your right is the lounge. Anything you need, you’ll find on this floor.” Iris stopped at a desk and snatched a copy of the newspaper from a stack of papers. She handed it proudly to Maya. “This is our latest issue.”

Maya took it and smiled down at the paper and the clean logo. The swooping cyan lines brought her back to her time at Hogsworth…

Three years ago, in her fifth year at Hogsworth, she read her first issue of the Daily Diviner.

Most students knew of the Daily Diviner. The latest gossip, original pieces, and magical world news circulated within the paper, but it had never crossed Maya’s mind to bother reading it, despite being Iris’ favorite publication. This changed when the morning deliveries came in, and Iris’ owl missed the mark. The paper landed on Maya’s plate, disturbing the array of food on it. Iris was in the bathroom, unable to reclaim her mail; curious, Maya flattened the paper and began to read.

The hook introduced the article: some story about Auralocks, shifts in power… but it was the writing that caught her attention. The smooth transitions, concise language, and professional tone dragged her in. When Iris returned, Maya was still reading.

Iris looked at her suspiciously, but said nothing as she swiped her paper back from Maya’s plate.

Two weeks later, when owls swarmed the Great Hall’s ceiling on Sunday morning, Maya eyed the paper dropped on Iris’ plate. She leaned over for a better look.

Her friend smirked. “Do you want to read it when I’m done?”

Maya straightened up, pretending to not have looked. Putting on a mocking front, she turned up her nose at the paper. “The logo is a little drab.”

“Think you could do better?”

“Maybe.”

They both burst into giggles, but later that night and for the rest of the week, one could find doodles of cyan-colored designs in Maya’s notebooks.

Two years ago, the Raven common room was warm and quiet. Maya sat in her favorite chair, reading her favorite book, her favorite person laying on the couch in front of the fire. Iris worked quietly on her homework before stopping her pen. Maya didn’t look away from the words on the page but waited for Iris to speak.

“Did I tell you that I got a position at the Daily Diviner? After I graduate this year.”

Maya’s head jerked up from her book. A giddy smile spread over her face. “What? No, you didn’t. Congratulations.”

Iris beamed. “Thank you. I’m starting as a writer, but I think I’d like to branch into editing as well.”

“I’ll read all of your articles,” Maya promised solemnly.

“You’d better. And I’ll put a good word in for you.”

Maya blushed into her book’s pages. “Thank you.”

One year ago, on another Sunday morning, Maya sat alone at the table and read the letter in her hands, the Daily Diviner newspaper sitting on the table, untouched, beside her.

Maya, it read. Writing is going great! Better than I could have hoped, really. How’s boring old Hogsworth? I’m so glad to be free of classes, but I definitely miss the food. Anyway, producers have been talking about getting a new logo to replace the old one; you know, the one you scoffed at in Fifth year? If you’re willing to give it a chance, I think you could send your resume along with a redesign and ask for an internship. Worth a shot, right?

Maya picked up her pen, and began to sketch.

—​

Now on her first day at her dream job, Maya smiled down at the logo that had secured her position. Her dear friend beside her and the future ahead of her, Maya knew she was where she was meant to be.

Status