DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 110

Status
Not open for further replies.

TABLE OF

CONTENTS

Feature

Editorial

Server Spotlight

Lifestyle

Echoes of a New Update
Feature
Written by Silquer
Edited by Immites

Hello, my dear readers, and welcome back to the Daily Diviner! A brand new update has appeared: Echoes of the Past! This update has changed the way players interact with parkour and mazes across the magical world, adding a brand new element of exploration helped along by an intriguing new plot. It is time to journey through the echoes of a new update and discover what new things there are to see.

Before the update, parkours and mazes could be found in some locations across the map, but there was never any specific reason for their location nor any quest linked to these activities. However, with the Echoes of the Past update, a whole new dimension of intrigue and exploration has been added to the parkours and mazes throughout the map!

To begin the very first quest and start your journey, check the mailbox outside of the Great Hall to uncover the new questline. This will lead you to Emery, a student who will help you along your journey as an Echo Reader. An Echo is a memory trapped in an object and as an Echo Reader, players can explore these memories in the form of parkours and mazes. Let me share some of my favorite Echoes that you just need to find, starting with parkour.

Parkour is one of my favorite activities on Potterworld! Dashing through a library, leaping through a vault, and using magic to traverse a difficult course brings me so much joy. There are twenty parkour maps in total to discover! However, my favorites are some of the simpler ones. The Future Unforetold is a challenging traversal that incorporates magic, so have your wand at the ready. The Lost Toad parkour is also a classic with a particularly cozy atmosphere. These and more are at your disposal to discover, and I encourage you to do just that. Happy jumping!

Mazes are a particular challenge but no less enjoyable. There is something therapeutic about twisting and turning and getting lost in well-crafted halls, surrounded by lovely scenery. There are only five in total, but they are all filled with endless challenges. For example, the Late for Class maze is a spectacular simulator for all of those breathless times we students have run down the halls after the bell has rung. Elsewhere, Broken Helmets maze is an overgrown mining track that you must follow to the very end. Both of these mazes are tricky and will take some time and dedication to crack (if you can find them, of course). Best of luck!

The objects holding Echoes must be discovered naturally as you progress through Potterworld’s many towns and locations, but if you find yourself in a bit of trouble Emery is available to help with plenty of hints. There are also rewards available, so be sure to check back with Emery every once in a while to see if you have enough to purchase some of the special new items. My favorite is Emery’s Scarf, and the two sceneries are gorgeously made!

Additionally, there are three different versions for each map that are unlocked as you follow the Echoes of the Past questline. These versions are unlocked with each of the three questlines that are part of the Echoes of the Past. To see what these versions are, players must simply discover them!

Furthermore, if your competitive side cannot be quenched, there are leaderboards for every parkour and maze! Players can compete for the coveted fastest completion time in both mazes and parkours. I encourage all to try their skill at the leaderboard and see what they can achieve with time and patience.

Regardless of whether you are the competitive sort, a completionist, or simply a fun addict, I highly recommend you explore all of the maps and give each one a shot! A lot of hard work went into this update to keep the content fresh and exciting for players, so be sure to enjoy your travels and, most importantly, have fun!
1716142243390.png

Comments

Status

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Store Releases: A Review
Editorial
Written by Khails
Edited by snotflower

Welcome, readers of the Daily Diviner, to the Editorial of Issue #110! In this article, we’re delving into the latest developments of the diligent Store team. They’ve been working extremely hard in bringing lots of exciting new content over the past couple of months. Join me as I explore the recent store releases and some of the items that were included. This will include the Warp Key Bundles, Personality Bundles, and the Anniversary Store Releases.

To begin, we’ll take a look at the Warp Key Upgrades that were released in the second half of April. While this didn’t necessarily include new items brought to the store, it revamped the current warp key system and added unique effects for each warp key. This consists of warp key effects which show while holding the item and teleport effects that automatically appear once you teleport to another location. Personally, I think that this update brings a refreshing sense of uniqueness to warp keys and gives them a little bit more of a purpose.

Up next, the Store team released a total of eight new bundles of varying items with the Personality Bundle Releases. This grouped separate items into specific themes such as the “Sly Bundle” which consists of dark, sinister themed items, and the “Emerald Bundle” that includes items that follow a green theme. This allows players that are looking for a new aesthetic or a group of items to purchase them at a reduced cost instead of buying each item separately. I enjoy the idea of being able to purchase bundles for a couple of reasons. As someone who loves to follow an aesthetic, I think this is an excellent way to search for one along with cutting the cost by making one big purchase.

In celebration of Potterworld’s 10th anniversary, the Store team kicked off the festivities with the release of the Anniversary Store Releases. This included new items such as the Purple Party Hat and the Emerald Flaming Wand, along with the return of the iconic Pet Balloon Collection. I haven’t seen them in-game yet, but the hat looks super adorable. I will definitely be purchasing it for myself!

Additionally, this store release also brought a couple of updates such as an update to the in-game wand testing and the addition of a second name slot for wands. This allows players to test wand appearances as hats by wearing them in the In-Game Store. The new naming slot lets players have two custom names that can be switched between and used at any time. While I’m not one that utilizes the naming feature for the wands, I do think that it’s really nice for players to be able to preview wands. I’ve always wanted to know what a wand will look like as a hat before I purchase it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this article, and I hope to see you again during the next one. Do you have any favorites from these releases? I definitely think that mine has to be the new Purple Party Hat from the Anniversary Store Releases. I’m also looking forward to the new in-game wand testing feature that was added. Have a great day, and make sure to read the other articles!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Game Design’s Quest
Server Spotlight
Written by SnowyKitty
Edited by littledead

Game Design is one of the three teams in the Game Design department. They create playable content on the server, from daily riddles to events. You can find content created by Game Designers in almost every nook and cranny on Potterworld. In fact, the very moment you first join the server, you are already playing one of their creations! Every adventure, dungeon, gauntlet, NPC, quest – you name it – was made by a Game Designer.

But how does the team manage to create content so consistently? How do they even know where to start? For the first time, the team is sharing the creative process, from concepts to publication, all thanks to Lead Game Designer NSgaming (Noah). There is no need to wait. Let’s dive straight into the interview!

What role did you originally apply for when you joined the Game Design Department?
I honestly don't remember at this point! I originally applied for Game Design, but this was way back when Game Design meant something different to what it is today; it was split into Quest Building and Quest Writing as two separate roles.

Why did you stick around to become a Game Design Lead?
I'm extremely passionate about storytelling, and Potterworld has always provided an outlet for me. I'm extremely passionate about the stories we tell, and that has kept me around for 7+ years! Potterworld has been a big part of my life, to the point that my major in college is Creative Writing because of Potterworld.

How does the team decide on the story to use for questlines and events?
We usually discuss ideas at a Lead level and check them with each other before deciding on the piece. These ideas come from anywhere – sometimes we want to go back to an old build. Other times, it's just whatever Leads or Team Members pitch.

For World Content, we like telling stories that help [explore] certain facets of Potterworld. For example, the Deep Forest quests examine the Allegiances, whereas Relics of the Past or quests in the Dark Prison examine some of the darker sides of our world.

Sometimes, we like doing releases that are a little less connected. For example, May the 4th is [a] platform for us to tell stories in the Star Wars universe. Other times, we like to focus on one overall narrative, [such as] creating the Nine Hells, Demons, and the Coven [in the last Halloween event].

What steps does the team take to create quests?
First, Game Design Leadership comes up with the general scope of the project. A good example is Woodshire.

I knew going in we were looking for 6-8 quests, but I wanted to add some activities to help the town feel more alive. We held a meeting where the Game Designers came together and designed the main story, that being the Sherwood storyline with Matilda.

Then we came up with ideas for quests that related to the overall story of the town (i.e. “Helping the Forgotten” directly ties into the lore). Lastly, to make it feel more alive, [we made] the Clubhouse Crew and Clubhouse Hunt quests.

Once we have the general concept down, each Game Designer is responsible for coming up with a Quest Outline. This includes a [summary] as well as a list of steps to complete the quest.

Then [we move] to the Story Design Document stage, where everything gets fully written out. Items are designed, dialogs are written, the quest objectives are put together, etc.

After that, it gets implemented onto our backend servers, checked over, [then] it's implemented onto the world for the testing teams to review.

Once it's all clear, it's finally ready for release. It's a super long process, and quest releases take anywhere from 3 to 6 months depending on complexity.

What are you hoping to improve in future projects based on the recent adventures and events?
We want to make Potterworld feel more alive, like the world is evolving and expanding, and to always have something for players to do. The “Galactic Starcruiser” quest from last year’s May the 4th Event is a good example – where your actions have consequences. We want to make the world react to what [each] player does so that every player can craft their own story.

A big thank you to Noah for sharing these details with the community! If any aspect of the Game Design team’s process intrigues you, I urge you to apply for Jr. Game Designer! Anyone who knows Potterworld’s content in and out and has a strong imagination is a sure fit for the position. You can find the application here, and I wish you the best of luck if you apply! Either way, I hope you all have a magical day!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Tips for Upcoming Arithmancers
Lifestyle
Written by Creme_de_Creme
Edited by bluecherub

Hello lovely readers and welcome to the Lifestyle column! Have you ever wanted to make your own skin? What about create your own graphics? Make your own renders? Luckily for you, I have some common tricks and tips to share with you that our Arithmancers use!

Let’s start off with some advice for skin designing and creating:

Tip #1
When you are designing a skin or an image, take note of the colors that you use. Do you use warm colors such as reds, oranges, and yellows? Or do you use cold colors like green, blue, and purple? As you take note of the color palette, select colors that compliment one another. Additionally, think about who you are making the skin for and what story you want to tell through the colors selected.

Wanna know more about creating graphics? Here are some more tips:

Tip #2
When taking a screenshot, be cautious about dead space. Dead space is where no action is going on. For example, you should not have too much empty sky in your photo unless necessary. A good practice is to utilize the rule of thirds. The rule of thirds involves dividing your photo into three lines both horizontally and vertically. The key visual elements that you want your photo to capture should be placed along the horizontal and vertical gridlines. This means that you should be choosing the angle of your image wisely. We have found that a 90° angle works best!

Have you ever wanted to create a render? Here are some things to keep in mind:

Tip #3
When making a render of a person, make sure that the arms and legs are not too close to the body. This makes the figure look stiff and awkward. Instead, you want to utilize natural poses like you’d see someone doing in real life! This also includes stances that a person is not able to perform in real life. If a person cannot do it in real life, then do not put your character render in the same position!

Tip #4
When you complete your render, make sure to adjust the camera and lighting. The camera should not be straight on. Instead, place it in such a way as if you are capturing someone’s POV! It will help liven up the picture.

Tip #5
When adjusting lighting for your render, watch how it affects the scene. For example, the sun lighting feature adjusts the lighting for the entire scene. If you only want certain parts of the scene lit, then use the area lighting feature. The area lighting feature is unique, as you can use it to give a wand tip a colored glow to make it look as if someone is casting a spell!

There are so many ways that we can tell stories through various art forms. In some cases, it is the clothing worn. In other cases, it is through the image captured on screen. We can even tell stories or convey messages through poses and lighting. If these tips interest you and you want to learn more, think about applying to be an Arithmancer! In the meantime, have a wonderful day. This has been Creme_de_Creme reporting for the Daily Diviner.

Status