DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 114

Status
Not open for further replies.

TABLE OF

CONTENTS

Feature

Editorial

Server Spotlight

Lifestyle

Ravens Reap Rewards
Feature
Written by Silquer
Edited by bluecherub

Hello dear readers, and welcome back to the Daily Diviner! It has been three months since the last House Cup winners were announced, and since then, the competition has been going as strong as ever. This quarter was certainly intense, but at the final count, the Ravens pulled away victorious. With the winners announced and a new quarter up and coming, let us celebrate the Ravens and look into how you, as a player, can help contribute House points!

In the Great Hall, you will find a ghost waiting to warp you to the Ravens House Cup celebratory build. There is a custom build for each House, and the Ravens are proud to display a great tree surrounded by rolling hills and fields. The first stop is the massive tree that is the center of the build. This tree displays the Quarterly Highlights in each of its branches, and climbing to its top reveals a lot about the past quarter!

Up a hill covered in blue flowers is where you will find Francine Cadence. Anyone can accept the gifts Francine is offering, so be sure to check it out! There is a brand new plushie and more waiting to be claimed to celebrate Ravens’ victory. After receiving the Raven rewards, follow the signs to the market stalls located right next to the tree. Here, you can find all sorts of collectables to commemorate the House Cup. There are decorative heads (the World Globe being my favorite), fun Raven Victory Flares, and special banners.

Earning House points is a great way to make play sessions more interesting through a goal-oriented mindset. Want to play some minigames? Well, if you play 3 games of Melting Floor, you will earn 2 House points. And, if you place first in every round of Party Games, you will receive 2 House points as well!

Players can also earn House points through classes. Classes like WizPE will reward players who finish first, second, and third with House points! Although this seems like a difficult task, the more practice, the better. Similarly, tournaments hosted by the Arena team are a great way to work towards House points. Check out the tournaments schedule and formats on the tournament forums for more information!

I hope all players had a great quarter, and every player should be proud of their House. Good luck earning House points next quarters, and go Ravens!

Comments

Status

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

The Inner Workings of Class Design
Editorial
Written by Silquer
Edited by littledead

Hello dear readers, and welcome to this edition’s Editorial column! Academics are such an important part of our server, but you may be wondering: what goes on behind the scenes? The classes and challenges on the server run smoothly under the watch of the Professors, Class Helpers, and Arena Squires and Masters, but a lot of work goes into making classes and challenges function as well as they do. I had the pleasure of talking with some members of the Academics department about their design process and what makes classes and challenges tick.

The first step for any project is brainstorming, and the Arena team is no different when it comes to challenges. Arena Grandmaster Wildsam revealed that new challenge gamemodes are brainstormed individually or from player suggestions on the forums, then later brought to the full team for revisions. When asked about the creation process, Wildsam also said:
Once we're satisfied, we enter the creation phase, where we build up a sub-team to work on it. It consists of a team leader as well as team members. Everyone has their own responsibilities, such as organising meetings, splitting the different tasks, or sending requests to other departments such as Media, Build, or Game Design.
From the perspective of the Professors, things are similar with some notable differences. Professors also come up with ideas on their own, although there is collaboration when it comes to feedback and advice! On the topic of creating lesson plans, Sr. Professor snotflower said:
Every class subject has been long established, so our job on the Academics team is to decide what topics we want to teach regarding these classes and create easy-to-understand plans on how we are going to teach them.
Lesson plans, by nature, require lots of lore to craft engaging classes, as well as real-world information, according to snotflower. Any player who has attended a class knows this is true, from the notes that are provided to the quizzes and writing prompts. The insight classes give to Potterworld’s world truly makes the server come to life.

Going back to Arena, Wildsam gave a lot of insight into what the Arena team has in mind when making challenges. The Arena team always has player enjoyment as a first priority, which leads to fantastic and fun challenges. Behind the scenes, Wildsam talks about what he looks for in a potential challenge:
It needs to be effective, fun, and competitive. Firstly, it requires to be effective so that players are not stuck waiting for their turn for too long. My goal is to always find a way to keep attendees in action, so having a gamemode that provides this is important to me. Secondly, I look for a challenge that is fun. If I notice that the team or myself is not having as much fun as we hoped for, I'll expect us to go back to the drawing board and make sure we improve our creation. Thirdly, as we are the Arena team, it is important that our gamemodes are competitive, which means that it is possible for players to improve constantly at it while also giving us a way to rate players based on specific criteria (e.g. placement order in a race, amount of wins in duels, etc).
The competitive nature, Wildsam says, is what sets Arena challenges apart, and I can not help but agree. A major part of challenges is the community’s competitive spirit, which burns especially bright during challenges. There is always a great deal of energy during challenges. Everyone is eager to win, and it is part of what makes challenges so fun.

Snotflower also unveiled the thought process behind creating lesson plans.
There are all sorts of students, ranging in ages and locations, so I try to ensure my notes are easy to understand while still providing lots of information. I love attending classes too, so I often put myself in the students' shoes: would learning about this topic be interesting? Are these assignments straightforward but still require some thinking?
The dedication to accessibility and creating a worthwhile experience for players and Professors/Class Helpers is admirable, and a large part of why classes are so fun! After all, Professors were all students once, and it is wonderful to hear that Professors bring that experience with them into class design.

The final result after all of the Arena team’s review process is certainly rewarding, but there is a lot that goes into the final product. Challenges go through plenty of teams before you read about them here at the Daily Diviner; every challenge goes through Arena Leadership, then to the Build team as needed, and then to the testing teams at the Technology and Development department.

Classes have an equal amount of work put into them, especially the ones that involve player interaction. Ever wonder how a Potions or Herbology class runs so smoothly? Classes like these involve months of work and collaboration, and there is a separate team for this: Class Design. So, although it seems like the Professors handle most of the class design, there is yet another depth to lesson plans that reveals the hard work the Academics department puts into their classes and challenges.

Hearing from some of the Academics department members was truly enlightening and brought a new perspective on the classes and challenges players enjoy every day. A massive thanks to snotflower and Wildsam for interviewing with me! I hope you all gained a greater appreciation for everything the Academics department does. Be sure to join a class next time you are online, and have fun!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Venturing into Third Year
Server Spotlight
Written by whoohoo
Edited by bluecherub

Hello dear readers of the Daily Diviner, and welcome to another Server Spotlight article! Today, I will be talking about two of the first third year quests. What kind of quests are they, and what do they entail? We will find it out in this article!

The first quest is called Mending Magic, which is about Eloise, a Hogsworth student who broke her wand and needs it repaired. Since she cannot leave her friends, she asks you to get her wand repaired for her at Wenlock’s Wand Repair.

The quest begins on a path in front of the North entrance of Hogsend. From that point, talking to Eloise sends you through multiple spaces in Hogsend to do menial tasks, gathering the items needed to repair the wand before handing the finished product to Eloise.

I really enjoyed this quest because it has an exploration factor throughout the bustling town of Hogsend. It also helps with introducing oneself to important shopkeepers throughout the town which might be helpful in the future, including the owners of Wenlock's Wand Repair and QualiTree Lumber.

The second quest is the Werewolf Curse, where you help the Werewolves’ leader make a Wolfsbane Potion. This quest starts at the run-down werewolf shelter in Hogsend and stretches across and outside of the town.

The leader has gone to the Ministry pleading for help as their family members lose their minds each time they transform piece by piece.

To start, one must travel to the Remedial Potions shop at the North gate of Hogsend and speak with the shop owner, who lists ingredients for the potion.

There is an element of danger, as fighting ghastly creatures around town is required for creating the potion. Trading danger to oneself for harm to the endangered lycanthropes allows one to return to the Remedial Potions shop and retrieve the life-lengthening potion to pass on to the werewolf leader.

I love this quest because it sends you to explore around Hogsend to find the mobs you need, who are all in beautiful places around town.

Thank you all for reading this article and the issue itself. I hope you liked it, and I hope to see you next time!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

All about the Full Moon
Lifestyle
Written by yakko__
Edited by bluecherub

Hello, Daily Diviner readers! Some of you may have heard the buzz about the upcoming full moon, or buck moon, on July 21. Many may not have realized that buck moon refers to a full moon, but all full moons have their own names depending on when they occur.

July moons are called buck moons because they correspond to the time when bucks regrow their antlers! They are also referred to as thunder moons because of summer storms, and salmon moons to signify the return of fish to certain areas by the Tlingit and Haida, Indigenous Alaskans and the Indigenous people of Haida Gwaii, a chain of islands off the northern Pacific coast of Canada.

In addition to not being aware of different moon names, plenty of people might not be aware of just how significant full moons can be. Full moons are incredibly important to both magicals and Unmagicals, so today I will be exploring how and why.

Through the Unmagical science of astronomy, we are able to know what causes a full moon to appear. Full moons occur when the Earth is positioned directly between the Sun and Moon. The appearance of the Moon from Earth changes as we orbit the Sun and the Moon orbits us.

Despite this, full moons are regarded as detrimental to astronomical viewings. Because the Moon’s reflection becomes so bright, it becomes harder to view stars. The best time to stargaze each month are on the days right before and after a new moon!

To magical communities around the world, full moons have always been of note. They are associated with heightened natural magical phenomena, as well as lycanthropy, a disease which affects a marginalized portion of the magical population.

Full moons are also a staple of both magical and Unmagical astrology. This term is used to describe divination practices, both historical and modern, which have their roots in the second century BCE, nearly 4,000 years ago! Though astrology is different depending on where and when you are on Earth, full moons are often associated with insomnia, mental and spiritual clarity, and insanity–which is where we get the term “lunacy”.

Though the Unmagical world considers modern astrology unscientific and inaccurate, many cultures still celebrate and track full moons. For instance, many Hindu festivals, such as Sharad Purnima, are celebrated on full moon nights throughout the year. Pesach, also known as Passover, is a Jewish holiday which is often celebrated on or near a full moon.

The major shift to the solar calendar started when the Roman Empire adopted the Julian calendar, which then evolved into the modern Gregorian calendar that is used worldwide. These calendars focus on the position of the Sun rather than the Moon. This means that the relevance of Moon phases like the full moon have been slightly diminished, though it is still celebrated for its beauty.

As one can see, the Moon has always been important and likely always will be! Keeping this in mind can help us to preserve history and connect with older cultures. This July, keep an eye out for any pronounced natural magical events during the full moon and impress your friends with everything you learned in this article!

Status