DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 50

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Commemorating 50 Issues of the Daily Diviner
Feature
Written by Silquer
Edited by Calliequeen

Hello my stunning readers, and welcome to the 50th issue of the Daily Diviner! This issue, we here at the Daily Diviner are celebrating our 50th publication, nearly two years since the very first one! It’s been an amazing two years, each article rendered with passionate hands and every issue put together with care.

From personal experience, I can say it has been an outstanding time. When I was first hired to the team, it was a dream come true, but it did not come without its tribulations. I didn’t know how long I’d stay, if I’d be able to handle the workload, or if my team members would ever be able to like the shy, introverted me. But I needn’t have been worried. This team is spectacular, hardworking, kind, supportive, (the list goes ever on) and the articles produced here are some of the best works I’ve read.

All these articles and issues later, we stand at the precipice of a great milestone for this team. The number 50 may not seem that large when compared with other long-standing parts of Potterworld, but to us, the team who have worked and created and written it with love and care, it is a milestone to be proud of. So, join us in commemorating this amazing moment in Daily Diviner history! It’s been a terrific two years to be able to work alongside some of the most spectacular writers I’ve ever met, and I could not be more proud and honoured to work alongside such an amazing team of people, past and present. With that, let’s recap some of Daily Diviner’s most memorable moments!

Major Articles
There are over 300 articles (yes, that’s an accurate number!) in the Daily Diviner pantheon. With at least six articles per issue (sometimes more), and up to our 50th edition, that’s an impressive number! With so many articles to choose from and thousands of characters of content, there’s sure to be something for everyone. Here are some of the highlights.

If you’re looking for a long read, not to worry! There are plenty of longer articles from the many issues, most notably “Meet the Game Design Team”. This article was written by Serpentella, edited by MakkChi, and is the longest article to date! The total character count came out to be a massive 15,947, while most articles (besides features) are within the 3,000-5,000 character range. Serp’s article details the inner-workings of the Game Design staff team, one of my personal favorite teams and a group of wonderful and hard-working individuals. The interview is fascinating, and the questions are interesting. Serpentella did an amazing job with the article, despite it being written several months ago. I highly recommend reading this one on your own. It’s the last article of Issue #35. Happy reading!

My personal favorite article is also one of the oldest and comes from my debut edition: Issue #11’s “The Revelius Update”, a feature article written by Aviforma and edited by Polarxo. This was one of the first articles covering the recently announced Revelius Update, and it captures the pure excitement of the months before the update. This article set the bar for features to come! A charming mixture of review, recap, and interview, this article captured my heart the first time I read it. If you’d like to read it for yourself, you know where to find it!

A special part of the Daily Diviner is the Breaking News articles. Released around every new roleplay event, these Breaking News issues recap an important roleplay event in one or two articles. Some of the most memorable of these include Breaking News #3, which ushered in the horrifying news that both the Phoenix and Dark Follower bases had been ransacked, Breaking News #4, which reported the death of notorious Aurorlock leader Shakti and announced the newly-appointed Matt Griffiths, and Breaking News #10, which detailed the final battle between the Werewolves and the Vampires. There are many other gripping Breaking News articles, including more in-depth dives than the ones I’ve mentioned here. Make sure to check them out on the Potterworld website’s Daily Diviner archive!

The final of the major articles in Daily Diviner history is another one of my favorites: Carolllyn’s fantastic Horoscope series! These Lifestyle articles were a series of three, each describing four of the twelve horoscopes. They were some of the first real series’ in Daily Diviner history and defined the cozy and comfortable vibes of the Lifestyle column. You can find them in Issues #10, 11, and 12. Please, give them a read and travel back into the past with Carolllyn’s writing!

Memorable Moments
Let’s take a step back and look at the past two years of memorable Daily Diviner moments. There are two nearly years of history to comb through, ranging from our own team activities to special articles and issues. Here’s a few of the most important.

Our very first Feature articles (there were actually two of them!) are an important part of DD history. It was the start of the Daily Diviner revival and welcomed in the Feature format that we use to this day! They also cover an important moment in roleplay history, but if you’d like to know more, you can find the features in the first issue on the website archive.

Last year, the Daily Diviner hosted a writing competition for all members of Potterworld to celebrate the sixth anniversary of Potterworld. There were two categories: One for short stories and one for poetry. It was a great opportunity for writers across Potterworld to put their work out there and was definitely one of the more memorable events in DD history. If you want to read this issue and the winning stories, it’s #15 in the archive.

Our final memorable moment is also our most recent milestone… The 50th issue! Even now, we’re writing our own history. This issue is a special one to be sure, and it’s only through hard work and dedication that the team could have made it here. This issue, and all the ones it celebrates before it, are surely something to be remembered.

Daily Diviner Changes Over the Year(s)
There have been plenty of changes since our revival in the December of 2019, and all of them have shaped what the publication looks like today for the better. Some change comes in the form of column removal or additions, other changes in the form of new writers or editors.

One of the most notable changes to the Daily Diviner occurred in the thirty-third issue when it was announced that the Games and Sports columns were going to be removed. The Games and Sports articles had been part of the Daily Diviner for a long time, and often covered minigames and upcoming dueling or flying events. Although it was a sad day for the team, it was a necessary change to welcome in the new and thriving column of Student Spotlight! While we may have lost a long-running column that fateful issue, we gained something new as well. Exploring a new column was a new adventure for the team, but absolutely worth it.

The Student Spotlight section itself was a suitable newcomer in Games and Sports’ place. It offered an opportunity to engage with the community and interview some amazing players, all while keeping topics fresh and interesting. More importantly, it was still entirely possible to interview players about minigames (as I’ve done in this issue’s Student Spotlight column), and with the context of a new column, we are able to find a more personal view of the subject.

Change, of course, is never easy, but it doesn’t always have to be sad. Letting go of the Games and Sports column was hard, but then there was the new Student Spotlight to fill the void. The same can’t really be said about the many team-member changes the Daily Diviner has gone through over the last two years. It would be difficult to name all of the past members of the Daily Diviner, but each and every one of them (that is no exaggeration) has contributed a piece of themselves to the publication and continues to resonate with the current team even today. Each goodbye is more bittersweet than the last, but there is always the knowledge that their stamp on the team has been left behind, and they won’t be forgotten. That truly is the beauty of writing.

Looking to the Future
Now that we’ve sufficiently looked into the past, it’s time to look to the bright future! We’ve come to 50 issues thus far, but that is a mere drop in the bucket when compared to our vast future. So what is there to expect from the Daily Diviner in the coming while? What improvements will we make? I had the honour to ask Sunnya this very question! Here’s what our marvelous Head of Media had to say:

“The publication has changed a lot since its return in 2019 and we're happy with the direction we've gone down. Our main goal now for the publication is to make it appealing to as many of Potterworld's players as possible. This definitely means writing articles more about the things players want to see, but we have other things in mind as well. We are currently looking into making our website edition easier to read in terms of format, using more images/visuals, and more. Our in-game releases may also get improvements to make them more appealing and exciting for players.”

With that, I can confidently say the Daily Diviner has a bright and clear future ahead of us. I know we’ll continue to grow and become a better team and, in turn, a better publication. There is certainly much to look forward to!

In conclusion, the past two years of Daily Diviner history have been outstanding, and there’s still much more to do. Looking to our past is important, especially at milestones such as this, but it’s also just as important to look at our future and see what’s ahead. It’s been an amazing 50 issues; here’s to 50 more!

If you're interested in joining The Daily Diviner Team, then you can apply to be a Daily Diviner Writer here on our forums!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
A Fun Friendsgiving!
Editorial
Written by ohKeira
Edited by Calliequeen

Hello everyone and welcome to this Editorial Column! As winter sweeps over fall, we all know what time is coming- the holidays! People from all around the world celebrate different holidays such as Hanukkah or Christmas during the winter, while others might not celebrate any. Even though there are some holidays only certain people celebrate, there are a few that anyone can celebrate, such as Friendsgiving! Friendsgiving is a holiday celebrated with friends to remind you about anything you might be thankful for. This holiday started only in 2007 and is a replacement for those who might not have any family to celebrate Thanksgiving with. Although not many people knew about it, it was more shown in the show “Friends”, where in an episode, the characters were having a Thanksgiving feast with their friends.

Friendsgiving varies depending on how you want to spend it, and is different for every person! While the holiday itself is very fun, usually including having a meal and hanging out with your friends, it is also a great way to remember what we are thankful for. A lot of times in life, people overlook what we should really be grateful for. Things that we want can get in the way of what really matters, which is why Friendsgiving is important. People are thankful for lots of different things, so I gathered some things from the community that people are grateful for.

“I’m thankful for the Potterworld community, and for all the friends that I have made!”

“I am thankful for my friend, who is like a sister to me. Without her, I don’t know where I would be. She means the absolute world to me and I am really glad we met this year.”

“I'm thankful for the ability to go back to school in person, to be able to reconnect with old friends and forge new relationships.”

“I am thankful for the Seer team and my friends as a whole!”

There are a lot of people who are thankful for different things, that’s what makes the holiday awesome! There is no strict way to celebrate it, so make it your own.

On Friendsgiving, I also spend it in my own way. I go to different people’s houses in my family each year! I go to my two grandparents every other year, and sometimes spend it with my friends too. We like to play games, and eat my aunt’s famous pumpkin pie! We also like to go around and share what we are thankful for each year. This year, I am thankful for my friends and family as a whole. During the past few challenges of the year, things have been very rocky, so having that support by your side is incredible. I am also thankful for the Daily Diviner team and Potterworld as a whole. It has been such a great experience to meet lots of new people and learn how to improve my skills.

I hope that you have a great Friendsgiving, and get to spend it with your friends or family. Remember to keep in mind what you are grateful for, and how it impacts your everyday life. As always, make sure to keep healthy and stay safe; this is Keira signing off!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
November Store Releases: Review!
Editorial
Written by bea_5OOOO
Edited by bluecherub

Hello readers, and welcome back to the Daily Diviner! As many of you may already know, November brought The Deep Forest Store Releases to the store, a collection of four unique and interesting items. This includes the Fedora hat, the Werewolf Scenery, and The Falcon and Wolf staffs (along with the return of the Werewolf and Vampire packages). Today, I will be taking you along with me as I review each of these items!

Fedora Hat
The Fedora Hat is a simple brown hat that players can purchase from the store and wear around the map. I like this hat due to its simpler quality and design. It also adds to the variety of the style of hats currently available. I really like the belt that wraps around the brim; I think it adds character to the hat and gives a nice feel to it. Overall, I would recommend that you give this hat a shot! You can access the Fedora Hat once you have bought it from the store by using the command /hats in-game.

Werewolf Scenery
The Werewolf Scenery is a newly added housing Scenery from the November Store releases! I think the Werewolf Scenery is beautifully built. The caves there are fantastic-- everything blends together perfectly, and the scenery is full of incredible detailing. Overall, this is definitely one of my favorites from the November store release. You should consider taking a look at, and maybe even purchasing, this item as well! You can access the Werewolf Scenery by entering your housing post-purchase and using the command /house scenery to equip it.

Falcon Staff
The Falcon Staff is one of the two new wands that came with the November Release. Overall the staff is pretty neat; it has loads of detail without being over-the-top, so it is a perfect wand for those who love simple yet beautiful pieces. The golden rings scattered across its surface accent the brown staff well. The falcon at the top, the staff’s namesake, is absolutely lovely and blends with the rest of the staff so nicely. Overall, this staff is worth checking out for yourself.

Wolf Staff
The Wolf staff is another wand appearance from this store release and is of equally high quality! The wolf on top looks splendid and regal, just like the beast it is modelled after. Additionally, the bottom portion of the staff turns into a spike, which I think is a neat touch that really fits the overall theme of the staff. This staff is another item from the November release that is worth keeping in mind; you can access the Wolf staff in the same way as the Falcon staff through the /wands command.

The Return of the Vampire and Werewolf Packages
As many of you already know, the Werewolf and Vampire Packages provide a multitude of items and effects, including particles, prefixes, a special tag, a spell, an emote pack, and more! I’m glad they have returned, as it offers more players the chance to join the vampire and werewolf communities-- especially those who have not had the chance to check them out before. Overall, these are some pretty interesting packages, and I think that the particles and spells that each provide are fantastical! You should try giving either of these packages a chance and joining in with either the vampire or werewolf communities.

In summary, this month, throughout the Deep Forest Store Releases, we received four incredible new items and the return of two amazing packages. I recommend that you at least take a look at each of these by trying them out in the In-Game Store! Like always, thanks for stopping by, and I hope you have a fabulous rest of your day!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Inside the Mind of a Minigame Master
Student Spotlight
Written by Silquer
Edited by bluecherub

Hello, dear readers, and welcome to the Student Spotlight column! This article, I had the pleasure of interviewing BlagdenCZ, a skilled minigame-goer and an experienced player. He is a high-ranking player in almost every Potterworld minigame and has clearly been playing for a long time. Here was my interview with Blagden:

How did you get started playing Potterworld minigames? What drew you to playing them?
I've been playing on Potterworld since 2016, so I was here before Hide and Seek was added to the server along with Melting Floor, Flying, and Spell Wars. I was familiar with similar types of games from other servers, so their addition was a welcome expansion of what I could do on the server back then. I tried them all out, and Hide and Seek quickly became my favourite minigame, so I started playing it more often.

You rank pretty highly in the other minigames besides Hide-and-Seek. What motivates you to continue to climb the ranks in these games?
Although it may seem like it, climbing the ranks has never been my goal in games other than Hide and Seek. The main reason I got to the top spot in Melting Floor is because I set a goal almost two years ago to balance wins with losses because at the time I had several hundred more losses than wins. I haven't played Melting Floor since I met that goal in October. Flying is a great way for me to prepare for flying challenges and tournaments and a quick way to get event currency whenever there is an event. I'll be happy if someone replaces me in the top spots of the Melting Floor and Flying leaderboards.

The #1 position in Hide-and-Seek is quite the feat! Do you have any plans after reaching the top? Will you continue to play minigames or focus on other features of Potterworld?
Oh, thank you. I'm proud to have made it to the top of the Hide and Seek leaderboard a year ago, but I don't think I'll stop playing minigames altogether, although I have to say, I'm playing them less than I used to. I've been playing on this server for a long time, so I don't have many other activities to do as a long term graduate. Aside from finishing my house, increasing my wealth, attending events, and trying to get as much stuff from the store as possible through store trades, playing minigames will always have a place in my gaming life on Potterworld.

There are always lots of new players on Potterworld who will inevitably want to master the minigames. Do you have any personal strategies for improvement that could help players?
I would tell these players that more important than any strategy is enjoying the minigame, as this will lead them to play the minigame more often and to want to get better at it. I would also tell them not to be afraid to ask other players if they don't know something or want to get tips on how to improve because Potterworld has an amazing community, and I'm sure there will always be someone to help them.

Which minigame, in your opinion, is the most difficult to master, and why? Besides that, which one is your favorite?
In my opinion, Quabbleball is the most difficult minigame to master because you need a lot of experience and practice to master playing any position, as your ability to prevent a goal, confuse a defender and score a goal, catch a snidget, or take players off their brooms can determine whether your team wins. I don't think it will surprise anyone if I say that despite over 8,000 plays, my favourite minigame is still Hide and Seek.

Are there any non-confidential Hide-and-Seek strategies you can share with us?
Whenever possible and safe, use the time to discover new places to hide. This is the main reason I like Hide and Seek so much, and I have to say that even after more than 8,000 plays, I still occasionally find a new place to hide where I wouldn't have expected it.

With that, our interview was concluded. A huge thank you to Blagden for taking the time out of his day to talk with me, and I hope you learned something about one of Potterworld’s best minigame players. I highly encourage you all to play one of the many minigames Potterworld has to offer, and perhaps attempt to dethrone Blagden…? Happy playing!

Do you know anyone on the server that stands out (cool housing, a museum, active in RP, do something cool outside of PW, etc.)? Nominate them here for a chance to be our next Student Spotlight!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
What your Housing Holiday Decorations Say About You
Lifestyle
Written by bea_5OOOO
Edited by snotflower

Hello readers, and welcome back to the Lifestyle column of the Daily Diviner! As many of you may know, the holiday season is rapidly approaching, making this month the perfect time to get started on holiday season decorations for your housing. But what exactly does your choice of decorations say about you?

Icy and/or Winter Themed Decorations
Do your decorations contain lots of snow? Or perhaps you’ve iced over your housing? If so, you’ve most likely got an icy and/or winter theme to your decorations! If you have icy and wintery holiday decorations you tend to be much more on top of popular trends. Overall, you’re often more outgoing and usually make sure to plan things out well.

Cosy Themed Decorations
Do your decorations give off a sense of warmth? Are they simpler, but nonetheless still look comfortable? Then your decorations are most likely cosy themed! If you choose to decorate your housing this way, you tend to be kind and gentle. You’re rather easy to get along with and are usually patient. You’re generally pretty chill and people appreciate you for that!

Simplistic Decorations
Do you try to keep your decorations straightforward? Do you set out a couple of decorations and lights and try not to go too extreme? If so, then your decorations most likely have a much more simplistic theme. If your decorations fit this description, you’re a fairly relaxed individual who doesn’t get super stressed when the holiday season comes around. You tend to enjoy the little things in life to the fullest.

Bright and Cheerful Decorations
Do your decorations tend to have a vivid and bubbly feel to them? Do they arouse feelings of excitement and joy for the holiday season? If so, you most likely have a very bright and cheerful theme to your decorations. This means that you’re a very passionate individual. You tend to get super hyped for the holiday season and try your best to spread joy all around. Overall, you have a very happy and sunny outlook on life!

These are just a few ways to decorate your housing for the holiday season. What do you think, are your decorations accurate about you? Either way, I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day and thanks for stopping by on this edition of the Daily Diviner!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Winter Skins
Lifestyle
Written by Ivy_Winter
Edited by Calliequeen

Hello lovely readers and welcome back to the Lifestyle column of the Daily Diviner! Today we will be talking about the wonderful art of skin making- more precisely winter skin making. Potterworld has a wonderful Skin Arithmancer team, who designs all of the skins for the NPC’s on the server. I was able to have the chance to speak with Master Arithmancer Bwunie.

Bwunie has been part of the Arithmancer team since May 6th, 2021. She has made about 80 different skins for Potterworld. Below is our discussion of designing a winter-themed skin.

How often do you change your skin according to seasons and holidays?
“Hmmm- I definitely try my best to make sure I'm staying pretty seasonal and festive when I should be, but recently I've definitely forgotten to stay updated.”

Which of them are your favorite to create a special skin for?
“I've always loved making Christmas skins!! They're just so much fun to get creative with - There's so much opportunity and so much room for creativity!”

What sorts of clothing would you consider a staple for a skin during this time of year?
“Some kind of warm-looking hat! You can never go wrong with an absolutely smashing hat!!”
Which colors do you prefer to use in your holiday outfits? Why?
“Hmm, green and blue 1000%. I definitely like blue just a teeny bit more than green, but I've found many people tend to go for red and white, so they're just something different, and they stand out a bit more!”

Out of all the store cosmetics, which do you suggest players should use to match with their wintery outfits? How should they style them?
“Hmmm, the "Deer Antlers" hat could be super, super cute with a reindeer-themed skin!”

After my talk with Bwunie, I got to thinking about designing a winter-themed skin. I thought about the colors I would use in the skin. Here are my thoughts on skin making for the winter season. If I were to pair a cosmetic item from the store with a skin, I would pick The Frost Staff. With this wand, you can have a light blue shirt paired with black pants. The colors I would use in the skins would be more on the lighter side, like a light blue and light pink paired with the color white as an accent color. And lastly, I’m just excited to see what the players create for this winter season.

The Potterworld Skin Arithmancer team continues to make skins for each event Potterworld hosts. Each and every day there are new designs that they are trying out. If you’re looking for a skin commission you can ask on the Potterworld Art Discord or on the Potterworld Forums. There are many people who have open commissions, you just have to reach out to them. Thank you for reading, this has been Ivy_Winter reporting for the Daily Diviner!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Meeting the Family
Original Works
Written by Ivy_Winter
Edited by snotflower

“Johan, are you really sure this is a good idea? Are you sure I’m ready to meet your family?” Danielle asked him with a worried look on her face. She and Johan were sitting in the car about to go to Johan’s family reunion.

This was going to be Danielle’s first time meeting Johan’s family. She was very nervous about the thought of his mother not liking her. Johan turned to look over at Danielle.

“Danielle, I’m sure my mother and family will love you just like I do. I love you with all of my heart, and no matter what happens today, nothing will change that. Understand?”

She turned to look at Johan, a small smile appearing on her face. She pulled him into a hug. “Yes, I do understand, Johan. I love you with all of my heart too. We can get through anything.”

At the family meeting, Johan’s mom, Hannah, was pacing back and forth. She had her hands on her hips as she waited for Johan and his partner to show up. Hannah turned her head to Johan’s younger brother Shane.

“Do you know where your brother is? If he wanted me to meet this person then you’d think he wouldn't be this late.” Hannah said with annoyance.

Shane sighed. “Ma, Johan is right there. See, he’s pulling into the driveway as we speak. Just calm down, alright?”

The light blue SVU pulled into the driveway. From the car out stepped Johan and Danielle. They walked up to the house where Hannah and Shane were standing. Hannah had her arms crossed as she stared at Danielle.

“Mom, Shane, this is my partner Danielle. Danielle, this is my mom, Hannah, and younger brother Shane. I’m glad you guys can finally meet each other.” Johan said excitedly.

Danielle extended her arm out to Hannah and Shane, a bright smile on her face. “It’s so lovely to meet you both.”

Shane shook Danielle’s hand and replied to her, “It’s nice to meet you as well, Danielle. I don’t think I’ve ever seen Johan this happy before.”

Hannah didn’t shake Danielle’s hand, continuing to stare before saying, “Yes, well, we shall see what your intentions are with my son. Shall we head inside?”

Everyone nodded their heads and followed Hannah inside the house. Johan’s other family members had already arrived. Johan introduced Danielle to his two young cousins Ariel and Callie. The two young girls hugged Danielle’s legs and greeted her warmly.

Danielle chatted with some of Johan’s other relatives before Hannah finally led them all into the dining room. “All right, sit down everyone. I’ve prepared Johan’s favourite: beef stew!” She smiled as she placed a pot on the table and lifted the lid. Everyone took a seat at the table.

Johan smiled at his mom, “This is amazing, Mom, thank you! Also, now that I think of it, Danielle does a little cooking as well. Maybe you could share some recipes with her!”

Hannah placed a hand on her hip angrily, “Why would I do that? These recipes were handed down to me by my mother. I’m not sharing them with anyone, not even Danielle! These recipes belong in the family and Danielle is not family!” She said loudly.

Danielle stood up from the table and ran outside, tears streaming down her face. Johan looked over at his mother, “Mom, that was way out of line. You had no right to speak to her that way.”

Johan’s cousins Ariel and Callie looked at their Aunt Hannah. “Auntie, why did she run out crying?” Ariel asked.

“Don’t worry about it girls. I’ll go handle it, you two stay right here and eat your stew.” Their mother, Maisy said to them. “Hannah, shall we head outside and talk to that poor girl?” Hannah turned away from Maisy, not wanting to speak to Danielle.

“Mom, you have to apologize to Danielle. You can’t just yell at her the way that you did.” Johan said.

Hannah rolled her eyes as she agreed to go outside with Maisy. They found Danielle sitting on the porch. “Alright, why did you run out of my house crying?” Hannah asked.

Danielle looked up from where she was sitting at Hannah and the woman next to her. “Well, ma’am, I ran out because I was hurt by your words. You made me feel like I wasn’t good enough for Johan. I love him with all of my heart.”

Maisy walked over and placed a hand on her shoulder. “Danielle, we can see that you love Johan. Don’t take Hannah’s words to heart. I think she is just being protective over her baby boy.”

Hannah walked over and stood next to Maisy. She looked at Danielle, “I do see you love him, and it’s obvious how much he loves you. I should not have treated you that way. I just want the best for Johan, and I understand now that you are a good match for him. I’m sorry Danielle. Can you forgive me?”

Danielle smiled at Hannah. She stood up from where she was sitting and walked over to her, “Of course I can forgive you, Ms. Hannah.”

Hannah pulled Danielle into a hug. “Come on, dear, let’s head inside and enjoy some beef stew.”

The three women walked back into the house to continue the family reunion, and from then on, Danielle was a welcome addition to the family.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Reporting Live at the Festival
Original Works
Written by OhKeira
Edited by bluecherub

“Excuse me!” a woman hollered, her voice ringing through the tall, crooked buildings. Her hazelnut colored hair whipped around her face as a young boy ran past her. Sighing heavily, she raced around the mob of people in front of her. Colorful banners were strung from building to building, and tents with food stands were placed in between. The sun was starting to set, so the street lights turned on with a loud click. Once she finally got around the people, the woman looked around Diagon Alley. She swiftly walked over to a stand and travelled to the back of a large line.

“Hey, Missy, what are you doing?!” a man yelled at her. He was old, with wrinkled skin running down his face. He had pale, blue eyes and almost no hair. He pointed a boney finger to the woman.

“Well, for your information, my name is Daila Thorthbern; I’m a new reporter for the Daily Diviner. I am reporting on this festival.” she said, her arms crossed over her chest as the old man grumbled.

“Well, I am the head security guard at this festival, making sure no rapscallions like you are trying to cut your way through the line. Look at all these people behind you.” he gestured to the line that had formed behind Dalia.

“But I was here before them! I just want to interview the shop owner for a new edition of the Daily Diviner.” she said sternly, gripping her clipboard tight in her hand.

“Ah nonsense! Go wait in the back of the line like everyone else.” He shot her a glare, pointing to the back of the line. Dalia mumbled something under her breath and slowly walked to the back of the line.

Time seemed to slow down while Dalia stood in the line, moving a centimeter a minute. Even the banners seemed to wave as slowly as snails. After an hour of waiting, Dalia finally made it to the front of the line.

“Hello? Excuse me?” Dalia called out to the shopkeeper, but he ignored her. “HELLO?” she said again, much louder than before. Still, no response. She looked down at her empty paper and picked up her quill.

She started to scribble down random notes until a boy and a girl ran through her. They couldn’t be more than eight or nine, but they knocked Dalia right off her feet. Her clipboard fell to the floor and was trampled by the children.

Still on the floor, she picked up her clipboard. Instead of waiting once more, Dalia stormed off, running past the line to sit on the steps entering The Three Broomsticks Inn.

A few tears pricked her eyes as Dalia sat alone on the cool stone step. Lost in thought, she didn’t even notice the lady coming from behind to sit next to her.

“Are you alright, dear?” she asked in a soft tone. Dalia looked at the lady next to her, then back down to her clipboard.

“Not exactly. It’s my first day as a reporter and everything is going wrong. First, I was pushed around by a mob of people. Then I got sent to the back of a line that I waited in for an hour, and when I got to the front the shopkeeper ignored me! On top of that, all the notes I was able to gather were trampled.” Dalia explained quickly, her cheeks now flushed red.

The old woman placed a gentle hand on Dalia’s shoulder. “I’m really sorry to hear that, Dalia. Do you mind if I ask you a question? Why did you want to become a reporter in the first place?”

“Well, I’ve always loved meeting new people and, well, reporting in general. I find it exciting to learn about different people-- you never meet two of the same.” Dalia replied, her eyes lighting up.

“And that is why you shouldn’t give up. Go back out there and get that report!” the woman finished, smiling at Dalia. Dalia gave her a nod, and thanked her. “Oh, and before you go, take this. It might help a bit.” She handed Dalia a new clipboard and magic quill. They floated over into her hands.

“Thank you for everything. Have a nice day!” Dalia ran off back into the festival, the smile returned to her face.

When she arrived back at the festival, chaos ensued once more. She went back into the line, this time only waiting for 15 minutes before reaching the front.

“Excuse me sir, can I please interview you for the Daily Diviner Newspaper?” Dalia asked, and the man replied with a low grunt. She tapped him on his shoulder, not willing to take no for an answer this time.

The man looked up to see Dalia’s angered face. “Can I please interview you for the Daily Diviner Newspaper.” she grumbled, and the man nodded slowly.

“I am very sorry I didn’t hear you, you see I am deaf in one ear so I can’t hear all that well over all the noise.” he said in a kind but voice, as Dalia’s mouth opened wide.

“I had no idea; I am so sorry.” Dalia apologized too, as she looked down at her paper.

“Of course you can interview me, it would be my pleasure.”

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Magician’s Bunny
Original Works
Written by mckennq
Edited by bluecherub

The fire crackled as the logs slowly shifted in the London home’s fireplace, its warm glow cast over the shaggy rug sat just in front of it. A small family portrait laid propped up on the peeling wooden coffee table, the smiles of a mother, father, and their small giddy daughter captured in a cheap frame.

The Wilson’s had always been more of a… traditional family, so to speak. While the rest of the world had been modernized long ago, the Wilson’s kept the antique, rickety furniture in their living room. The boxy television set gifted to both Isla and Oscar Wilson as a wedding gift still stood proudly on the thrifted electronics stand the married couple had bought years before the birth of their daughter Sofia.

So it was no surprise that when Sofia came, Isla and Oscar decided to take more of an old-fashioned approach to raising their daughter. Most kids her age had new and advanced childhood toys, while she had raggedy old stuffed animals passed down from her parents along with an assortment of wooden toys. Nevertheless, she was content with them and grew to be humble.

It was on one rainy fall night that she sat on the floor, her collection of toys and stuffed animals piled around her, cross-legged as the carpet pricked at her exposed skin. Her prized possession sat on the desk in the corner of the living room: a small stuffed bunny, almost completely bereft of any stuffing or fur. Sofia was awfully fond of the rabbit since her most precious and heart-warming memories contained the animal. Though what was left of its left ear was only a hole and loose stitches and threads poked up from the bunny’s feeble body, Sofia didn’t think of it as anything but beautiful.

It was now that Sofia turned to face the bunny, admiring with awe its floppy right ear and softly sewn pink nose. Scraggly white feet slumped out from underneath its frail frame, propped up against the desktop lamp whose lightbulb flickered ever so slightly. The young girl admired the stuffed rabbit from below, a small smile spreading across her face as she went to stand up, not taking her eyes off of the bunny. It was almost as if the stuffed rabbit saw her too, for its right ear gently lifted up into the air, standing high on top of its head. The ear wiggled back and forth once, then twice, before lowering back down elegantly.

A gasp escaped Sofia’s mouth as she scrambled to get up off of the ground. As she got to her feet, the rabbit did the same, hovering off of the wooden desk and into the air. It floated there for mere seconds before whirling around the room, spinning in tight circles around the young girl, and finally landing on the worn-down sofa in front of where Sofia stood. For a few moments, she stayed rooted to the spot, her eyes wide, staring at the stuffed animal in front of her. Her expression mingled with shock and awe, almost as if she was waiting for the rabbit to make another move.

Once a few minutes had passed, she carefully stepped forward and took the stuffed bunny in her hands, warm and soothing as it laid in her palms. She took a good look at it, examining every inch of the (what seemed to be possessed) stuffie. As she ran her fingers over each individual stitch and loose thread, they went deeper into the feeble body of the rabbit, sewing themselves up and reappearing as good as new. Her smile widened, turning into a grin as she moved her hand up to the hole that once was the left ear of the animal. Just like magic, stuffing slowly began to grow out of the deep hole as a new ear began to form, stitching itself up as if it had always been there.

Sofia didn’t move, watching the rabbit in amazement. She quickly whipped her head around towards the hallway, taking off in a sprint with the rabbit held tightly in her fist. “Mom! Dad!”

Status
Not open for further replies.