DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 51

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Winter Waltz: It’s Un-brrr-lievable
Feature
Written by Creme_de_Creme
Edited by kvmw

Hello, lovely readers, and welcome back to the Feature section of the Daily Diviner! As the thrilling Return to the Haunted Hollow event comes to a close, the Magiventologist team is gearing up for the release of something both familiar and new: the Winter Waltz! Winter is just around the corner, and Hogsworth is already bursting with holiday spirit. As students gorge themselves on plum holiday pudding and mince pies, frolic around in the snow, and bemoan the homework piling up just before the break, whispers about Hogsworth's most popular event of the year, the Winter Waltz, have begun to spread! What is it? Where is it? What school are we partnering with? All these are fantastic questions. If you want to hear more about what the Winter Waltz is, as well as some things you should expect to see in this upcoming Winter Waltz, then keep reading!

For those of you who don’t know what the Winter Waltz is, let me explain: the Winter Waltz has always been a way for Hogsworth students to get the chance to meet with students from Wizarding schools from all around the world, exchange cultures, and celebrate the holidays together! Some Wizarding schools that we have partnered with in the past include the Beauxbois Academy of Magic (located in France), Dormunstrad (located in Northern Europe), and the Mahounoshiro School of Magic (located in Japan). In the past, Hogsworth students have made new friends, undertook wild adventures, and assisted the various Headmasters and Headmistresses throughout the event.

Now the question everyone is asking: what can I expect from this year’s Winter Waltz? For those of you that remember, many of our wintery mini-games will be returning, including droppers, mazes, and parkour. There will also be fancy cosmetics for sale, including a new wand appearance! They can be bought using Event Tokens, which can be earned through minigames and quests. As per usual, there will be two kinds of quests: storyline and daily. While we don't know exactly what adventures they will take us on, I know they'll be a lot of fun! My recommendation is to bring your friends, classmates, and even teachers to increase your chances of success! And who knows? You might even get to know them better along the way.

Of course, magnificent builds are a must for a riveting adventure. Past winter events have been famously beautiful, and I'm pleased to report that this year is no different. According to Sr. Architect trashdotcom, “The environment is a little different than the traditional, wintery events the server has seen, yet it still carries the same decorations, festivities, and joy of the holiday season. The build is huge, with plenty to explore and something that everyone can enjoy. We all worked very hard to make this a memorable event for the players. My one tip of advice: when packing your suitcase, maybe skip the snowsuit this year.” I am excited to see what school Hogsworth will partner with this year!

While we wait for the announcement to come out, if you haven’t asked your friends already, make sure you find someone to go to the Winter Waltz with! I can already tell it is going to be an unforgettable experience. If you would like to join the Magiventologist team that creates lovely events such as the Winter Waltz, take a look at the Magiventologist application on the PotterworldMC website. In the meantime, have a wonderful day! This has been Creme_de_Creme reporting for the Daily Diviner.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
The Hunt: Stage One Review
Editorial
Written by bea_5OOOO
Edited by bluecherub

Hello readers, and welcome back to the Daily Diviner Editorial column! As most of you are already aware, The Hunt has begun. The Hunt was the latest roleplay event released by the Seer team. Now that stage one of the event has concluded, I have the chance to offer you all my review of the event!

The Hunt consisted of multiple unique and challenging puzzles, built to be completed by groups of players working together. Overall, it was an exciting and fascinating event! I enjoyed the fact that it was structured more towards group work this time around, and that it required the different allegiances to work together. Above all, the event was well put together, and the story so far has been fantastic.

As I stated before, The Hunt is built on quests and puzzles, each one containing a certain clue leading to an in-game location. Overall, the puzzles in stage one were all well-made! All of the clues were clever, and you can tell they were carefully thought out. The quests were definitely difficult but were still fun to complete. I especially thought that creating the need for teams was a good idea, specifically in the quests and puzzles, as it gave players a chance to work together and listen to ideas they might not have thought of beforehand.

Since this is a roleplay event, the quests and puzzles each connect to form a section of a story currently being told throughout the event. After the leaders of each of the factions met up at a secret location and learned of the dangers that were headed for the wizarding world, the first of many map pieces was found. Stage one leads players through finding the rest of the map pieces to complete the map. All in all, the story develops at a nice pace throughout stage one and was exciting to watch as it developed. The ending for stage one fell at a good stopping point as well, and hopefully it will pick back up nicely in the follow-up events.

I’ll bet lots of roleplayers are already forming some ideas on what they think might be coming next. I know I sure am! In the next stage, I think that the cowl found at the end of stage one might come into play in finding another clue. In my opinion, there’s a strong possibility that it could play an important role in the development of the story. Still, I don’t think it will do much more than lead to more clues down the road.

In conclusion, The Hunt was a fantastic roleplay event with an exciting storyline and difficult, yet still enjoyable, puzzles. As a whole, I really enjoyed this event, and I cannot wait to see what the future brings. As always, thank you all for stopping by this edition of the Daily Diviner and have a wonderful start to your week!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Re-dancing the Waltz
Editorial
Written by Ivy_Winter
Edited by bluecherub

Hello to all of you lovely readers and welcome back to the Editorial column of the Daily Diviner! Today we will be taking a look back at the past Winter Waltz events on Potterworld. The Winter Waltz, for those of you who don’t know, is Potterworld’s way of celebrating the holidays by exploring different magical schools around the world. It’s also a way for Potterworld to share different cultures’ traditions, both magical and otherwise, with the players. The first Winter Waltz was held on Potterworld back in 2017 at the Hogsworth school. From that year on, a different location has been picked to host the Winter Waltz event each year.

The 2018 Winter Waltz
The 2018 Winter Waltz event was held at the Beauxbois Academy of Magic. The event ran from December 1st, 2018 to January 2nd, 2019. The main event hub was the festively decorated Great Hall Courtyard and the Beauxbois castle with its accompanying grounds. Here, students from Hogsworth, Mahounoshiro, and Dormunstrad gathered alongside Beauxbois students to celebrate the holiday season. Following the release of this Winter Waltz, there were Holiday-themed minigames that you could see through /games and participate in solely at the event! Each of the minigames gave players additional Snowflakes with which to purchase some of the exclusive and exciting rewards, including collectables and cosmetics.

The 2019 Winter Waltz
The annual Winter Waltz of 2019 was held at Dormunstrad. The event commenced on the 2nd of December 2019 and lasted for a month. The people of Dormunstrad were in trouble due to an unknown force cursing their castle, and the students decided to pitch in and help! Cursed ice had overtaken the school, with many locations being frozen. The students helped to unfreeze five main locations in the castle through forging Bluefyre. While they weren’t busy playing with fire, there were many activities that players could partake in during this event, including returning and new minigames and daily activities. Completing these activities would either reward Holiday Spirit, which was used to forge Bluefyre, or Snowflakes, which was an event currency that could be used to purchase other rewards for the event, several of which were exclusively available at that event!

The 2020 Winter Waltz
The annual Winter Waltz in 2020 was an event hosted at Mahounoshiro School of Magic in Japan. The event commenced on the 15th of December 2020 and ended on the 11th of January 2021. The event took place at the Japanese-inspired build of Mahounoshiro School of Magic, featuring the Japanese castle and its surroundings. There were seven exciting mini-games that could be played during this event, including mazes and ice-skating. Upon completion of every quest and side quest, players received 1 Winter Waltz Exclusive Choco-Hop Card out of 24, which made this Winter Waltz special. Once players collected all 24 cards, they were rewarded for their troubles with the ‘Winter Waltz 2020 Collectable Card’!

My hopes for Winter Waltz 2021
The Winter Waltz event has been around for four years, and during those four years it has been through some incredible changes. We have seen some amazing builds and great quest storylines throughout the years, which is a trend I expect will only be continued this year. During these events, players were able to collect ‘Snowflakes' which acted like currency to buy things from the Rewards NPC. That themed currency is something I hope returns for this new Winter Waltz event. Some other things I hope will return are the old Winter Waltz items, like the Christmas Bag, Snowman Pouch, Demonstrate Staff, and Bluefyre Staff.

This was a fun trip, learning about the old Winter Waltz events and the locations they were at. I hope you join us at this year's Winter Waltz! This has been Ivy_Winter reporting for the Daily Diviner!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
The Vitale Manor
Student Spotlight
Written by OhKeira
Edited by Calliequeen

Hello readers and welcome to today’s Student Spotlight! In this edition, I have had the honor of being able to interview WitheredApollo, or more well known as Atreus_Vitale. Since early July, Atreus has been working extremely hard on their manor. When they started this project, he set a goal for himself, which was to make the manor look and feel as friendly as possible, while also keeping that dark and spooky mood! Here is how my interview went with them:

How did you come up with the idea for the project? Did you have any other final details that didn’t make the cut?
I came up with this idea when drawing actually! I was coming up with ideas for what I wanted to do with my survival world, when I was like oh, a mansion! I mean, who wouldn't want a mansion! I was actually planning on surrounding it with giant trees, to make it more spooky, but I just didn't like how they looked.

Where did you find inspiration to build the project, or motivation to keep going with it?
It was the people. I was very close to giving up on this build numerous times, but so many people would stop by to compliment it, so I just kept building it! Seeing how happy it made everyone else fueled me to continue it, and I am so glad I did.

What is your favorite part of the build and why?
It was by far the first floor! I didn't have flying when I started out so it was basically like building in regular Minecraft, which is how I always build! So it was super fun for me, especially as I had to find challenging ways to build!

What did you learn throughout the building process?
I learned there is never such a thing as too many trapdoors!

Are there any building tips you would like to share with us?
I'd say do what you want with your build! If you think it looks good one way, but someone else says to build it another way. If someone says that diorite is not a pretty block, you build with that block! Do what makes you happy!

Do you have any future plans for the build? Or any other projects you want to take on?
I think everything is pretty much done with this build, there isn't much else I can add! But I do plan on working on something for Christmas, and maybe even the Christmas competition!

Are there any final comments you would like to make?
If this has inspired you to build your own mansion, I hope to see it! I know all of you are so talented! And will achieve great and beautiful things!

And that will wrap up our interview for today! Thank you so much Atreus for putting his time and effort into this interview, and I hope that all readers would go check out their housing by doing /housing WitheredApollo. As always, I hope you have an awesome day and stay safe. This is Keira, signing off!

Do you know anyone on the server that stands out (cool housing, a museum, active in RP, do something cool outside of PW, etc.)? Nominate them here for a chance to be our next Student Spotlight!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Heart and Solstice: The Spirit of Gift-Giving
Lifestyle
Written by Creme_de_Creme
Edited by snotflower

Hello lovely readers! Welcome back to the Lifestyle section of the Daily Diviner! As you know, the holiday season is coming up, which means many people are getting into the spirit of gift-giving. Sometimes it can be hard to think of the perfect gift you want to give your friends. So, to help you with this daunting task, we at the Daily Diviner would like to give you some potential gift ideas that you can either purchase at the Marketplace or make yourself!

For those of you who have friends who love scarves, there is much to look at on the Marketplace. There is a Yule scarf, House-themed scarves, and even a scarf of Friendship! There are also wintery foods and tokens to browse. My personal favourite items have always been the fireworks and plushies.

If you want to give your friends something that they can use across servers, try looking for a skin, profile picture, or even custom forum signature commission. Most people place requests on both the Art discord and our main discord if they are looking for something. Usually, artists message that person if they are interested.

There are also various heads in the housing shop that you can give to a friend. For example, you can take a look at the character heads and select the character that reminds you the most of them. You can then follow it up with a note that explains why you chose that character.

Other gifts can include homemade gifts. For example, you can write a letter that expresses your appreciation for your friends. You can write or choose a poem that you think will cheer up a friend. One poem that I like is called “Dust of Snow” by Robert Frost. It goes:

The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of the day I rued

Poetry can cheer someone up and lift up their spirits. It can even be a haiku! Many friends will appreciate such a thoughtful gift, and any of those ideas can be a great way to show that you care about a friend.

If you still need more inspiration, or are still unsure of what to give a friend, I would suggest joining Potterworld’s art discord and checking out various artwork and builds! I hope you have a wintery day, and Happy Holidays! This has been Creme_de_Creme reporting for the Daily Diviner.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
A Guide to Preparing for The Winter Waltz
Lifestyle
Written by bea_5OOOO
Edited by Calliequeen

Hello readers, and welcome back to the Daily Diviner! As many of you may already know, along with winter rapidly approaching; the Winter Waltz is on its way. For those of you who don’t know, the Winter Waltz is an event done around the holiday season, where you’ll get the chance to attend a fun ball at another wizarding school. With these exciting times coming up, there are a few things left to do to prepare. So today, I will be guiding you through a few ways to get ready for the Winter Waltz!

Skin Decorating
One thing you can do to get ready for the Winter Waltz is to change up your skin! Many people tend to change theirs up to suits, dresses, or other formal wear. This is the perfect chance to pull out your skin-making skills, and jazz up your current skin, with a new outfit, or maybe even create something brand new. One piece of advice, for those who are a bit more hesitant with skin decorating, is to have multiple references to help you with designing, and to have a clear idea of what you plan to try and make before you start.

Asking Dates to The Dance
The Winter Waltz is an event that would be great to have a friend by your side for, or maybe finally try to talk to someone new. If either of these are up your alley, it will be fun to ask a date to the Winter Waltz. When asking a date to the waltz, remember to be yourself! It’s much more enjoyable when you’re yourself, and not someone else. Above all else, if you’re unsure where to start, try talking with your friends; in the end, trying doesn’t hurt.

Gathering Groups of Friends
If one on ones aren’t something you’re into, that’s completely fine! Spending time with groups of your friends throughout the event is just as exciting and fun! The best advice I can give, for rounding up some friends to go through the event, is to just ask around with your friends. Try and see if any of them would want to join up as a group for the Winter Waltz; you can even ask if they have any other friends they would like to invite along. If you’re not quite sure where to start, try asking around, and see if other players would be interested. The community here on Potterworld is very friendly.

Organizing Fun Activities
Now that you have a group of friends ready to have a blast at the event, it’s a good idea to try and come up with some fun activities you all want to try at the end. One thing you and your friends can do to prepare for the event is work together on skin decorating! If you all are really up for it, group skins might be another idea you all can try from there. In-game wise, exploring around the event is an enjoyable option your group can check out as well. Exploring is a great way to find new things around the event, as well as a way to show interesting findings to your friend.

In conclusion, there are tons of different things you can do to prepare for the Winter Waltz, as well as multiple ways to do them. These were the few I thought would work best this time around. As always, thanks for stopping by the Daily Diviner, and I hope you have a fantastic rest of your day!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
The First Snow
Original Works
Written by Silquer
Edited by snotflower

Eva woke in an unfamiliar bed. The sheets were unfamiliarly cold, and the room was filled with an imperceptible chill.

Right. It was winter here.

She was unused to this cold. She very nearly closed her eyes again, almost sank back into the warmth of her pillow, and hid in the four-poster bed just a little bit longer. But she shook off her exhaustion and swung her legs over the side of the bed. The girl’s dormitories were empty.

She had arrived at Hogsworth from Brazil the day before, in the afternoon, still reeling from time differences. She would be studying abroad for a few months, and she prayed she would get used to the time difference soon. The Head of Raven had greeted her and led her through the halls in a sleepy daze to the dormitories, where she had promptly passed out onto the sheets. There had been no other students then, and there were no students now. A small note lay on the bedside table, and she peered over at it. Ah. They had all gone to breakfast.

She changed into the robes she had taken from her school, Castelomagia, and opened the creaking dormitory door. It was a short journey down the staircase, to the main sitting room, and into the halls, pausing only to ask the House Ghost for directions to the Great Hall.

Going through the halls with an exhausted drag to her steps, Eva failed to notice what fell from the sky outside.

She found the Great Hall at last after some wandering. Students were gathered around the tables, eating and talking over various delicious-looking foods. She couldn’t wait to try them. As she took her first steps into the Great Hall, she shivered and noticed an intense chill in the air. A wind came from behind her, and she turned to see the open doors of the Great Hall… And falling from the sky were thick flakes of white.

Her mouth dropped open when she saw it. The ground was covered in it, a soft-looking blanket of white that stretched as far as she could see into the courtyard. A thin mist lay over everything, clouded by the drifting flakes, and the sky was grey above her.

She made her way out of the cover of the hall and shivered when she stepped into the blanket. She knew it to be snow, had heard stories of it, yet had never seen it. It was magnificent.

She reached out a hand, palm facing towards the sky, and giggled childishly when snow landed on her skin and melted into water. It ran through her fingers like little waterfalls, and she spun in a delighted circle, catching the snowflakes in her hands, her eyes, and her mouth.

“You’re from Brazil, right? The school Castelomagia? Studying abroad for the semester?” came a voice behind her, and Eva paused her spins to stare at the student that stood at the top of the steps. Their hair was short and brown, robes a tad oversized on them. She nodded to the strange student. “Ever built a snowman?”

“No,” Eva replied.

They gasped in mock horror. “We have to fix this. Breakfast can wait,” and ran down from the steps. They motioned for her to follow them, and Eva complied, although she was rather shocked at the hospitality. They hadn’t even shared names.

They led her along one of the bridges coated in snow, hurrying through the chill of the snow and entering a part of Hogsworth Eva had never seen. Yet the student was sure in their steps, bringing them through halls and staircases until they reached a courtyard.

The student led them out into the center of the snow and smiled proudly. “Welcome to the single best place to build a snowman: the Transfiguration Courtyard.”

Eva looked around in wonder. Where was the snowman? How do they build it? She said as much, and the student grinned.

“Here, I’ll start.”

She watched in fascination as the student fashioned a small ball of snow in their red hands and placed it on the ground. They pushed it slowly forward so that it picked up the rest of the snow, and soon there was a snowball the height of her knees.

“What now?” she asked.

“You do it again, then stack them on top of each other,” they replied. And so they did. Eva rolled up the second ball, although it was slightly larger and resulted in a rather lopsided stack. Finally was what the student described as the head, and when they put it all together, they had something that resembled a snowman.

Eva stared in awe at it for a few moments. Although her hands were freezing and she was shivering in the cold, the result was perfect.

“Let’s get warmed up,” the student suggested, and Eva agreed. So they went up the Astronomy Tower, which was nearby, and sat at the very top. It was quite the climb, but the view was stunning. The whole school was spread beneath her feet, covered in soft white snow, and the haze from the storm clouded everything.

“My name’s Tess, by the way,” the student said.

“Eva.”

They were silent from then on, and Eva, looking down at Hogsworth, decided that she would make the absolute best of her time at Hogsworth. And if this snow was a common thing, she didn’t think that would be very hard at all.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
A Monopoly on Memories
Original Works
Written by kvmw
Edited by Calliequeen

Something was up.

Freddie scratched a line on the piece of parchment they were carrying, recounting her tallies before asking, “Are you okay?”

No response.

A gentle tap caused the girl to start. “W-what?”

“Are you okay, Molly?” Freddie repeated.

“I’m fine,” she murmured.

Freddie waved the sheets of parchment, their loud crackling interrupting Molly’s stupor. “No, you’re not. A week ago, you only had one under “Thoughtful,” and fifteen under “Excited,” and ten under “Hungry.” Now, you’ve got twenty-one under “Thoughtful,” none under excited, and you haven’t been “Hungry” for three days. What’s up?”

What?

“Tallies,” they elaborated, shoving the papers in front of the girl’s confused gaze. “I’ve been tracking your mood every half-hour.”

“That’s just...creepy.”

“It’s just concern,” they said. “Please, Molly. We’re friends—you can tell me anything.”

Sighing, Molly folded her hands in her lap and pursed her lips. “Homesick,” she finally mumbled.

“For what?”

Rolling her eyes, Molly said, “It’s the first day of Advent.”

“So?”

She grimaced, running a hand through her messy curls. “See? You don’t get it.”

“You haven’t even explained anything!” Freddie protested.

Molly’s eyes glazed over, her mind clearly miles away from here. “My family used to make a bet over a game of Monopoly every day of Advent.”

Freddie hated to break her daydream, but they had to ask. “What’s Monopoly?”

“A board game. You have to make a ton of money by buying properties while making other players go bankrupt.”

“It sounds awfully dull.”

Molly sighed, and the broken look in her eyes made Freddie cringe.

“Like I said, you wouldn’t understand,” she murmured, turning her head back towards the window. The sun had just disappeared under the horizon, the fleeting colors of dusk slowly fading into black, and Freddie had the profound sense that something in Molly had gone with it.

. . .​

A loud slam caused the entire Griffin common room to go silent, all eyes turned towards a small table shoved into a shadowed corner. On it was a box with the word “Monopoly” in large, white letters, and nearby was Freddie, staring at the girl pitifully curled in the armchair behind the table. “Play with me.”

Molly gaped at them. “How did you get this?”

Freddie grinned. “Magicians never reveal their secrets.” They wheeled around to face the bemused crowd. “I need three volunteers.”

“You don’t need to do this,” she said nervously.

Freddie continued to stare down the common room.

A few fourth fourth-years, lounging on a sofa, shrugged and stood, joining the two first-years at the table where they stood. Freddie smirked and slid into the armchair next to Molly. “So, how do we start?”

The fourth-years raised their eyebrows, but Freddie didn’t care, because an amused smile (the first she’d seen in two weeks) appeared on Molly’s face. “By opening the box,” she said.

. . .​

“Two hundred and your red property for my railroad.”

“Take it!” several people cried, as others shouted their disapproval.

“You only need one more to complete the set, Will,” Molly coaxed. She leaned forward, shoulders hunched and eyes bright. “Railroads are one of the best properties in the game since they get visited so often.”

“I’ll only have fifty dollars left.”

“You’ll make it back in no time,” she assured him.

Freddie watched her friend with amusement. They weren’t the only one. A huge crowd had gathered to watch the Queen of Hogsworth’s most popular game crush her enemies, and Molly was doing just that. The seventh-year across from her friend was the only opponent remaining, and his situation was dire.

Though he looked reluctant, the money and cards were exchanged. Molly’s mouth curled into a cat-like grin, and she rolled the dice. With a clatter, they settled—ten.

Will watched in dismay as Molly skipped over seven of his properties. Freddie could see him studying the board—his odds of avoiding her properties were good. He took the dice into his hands and shook three times before spilling them out onto the table.

Four. Molly’s shout of glee was audible even over the roar of the crowd. The boy didn’t even bother to move his piece, merely holding out a hand that Molly shook vigorously. The hoard wept forward, lifting the small girl onto the shoulders and carrying her out of the Great Hall, their chanting slowly fading into the distance until only Freddie and Will were left.

“You did well,” they said, sliding into the seat that Molly had previously occupied.

“Not well enough,” he said dryly.

“Are you going to do her essay?”

“That was the bet, wasn’t it?”

“I don’t think she’d mind if you didn’t.” Freddie leaned over conspiratorially. “Don’t tell her I said this, but she’ll burn it. She always does. She just enjoys the feeling of winning, and the bet just makes the game more exciting.”

The seventh-year raised an eyebrow. “Alright, then.” He stood, and ran a hand through his hair. “Still embarrassing, getting beaten by a first-year.”

Freddie laughed. “Very. Have a good night, Will.”

Status
Not open for further replies.