DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 79

Status
Not open for further replies.

TABLE OF

CONTENTS

Feature

Editorial

Server Spotlight

Lifestyle

Original Works

Miscellaneous

Love Is on the Store!
Feature
Written by Silquer
Edited by littledead
Graphic and Skins by: Prin_ce, Lukeius, zZalt, and Sorcellerie

Hello dear readers, and welcome to Issue #79 of the Daily Diviner! With the Valentine’s Day Event that recently began came the February Store Releases. This release is full of sweet and lovely items for players to enjoy. Alongside this release, the WizNetworker team announced their Valentine’s 2023 Giveaway. Let’s see what both of these have in store for us!

To begin with is the February Store Releases. This new wave of items is titled “Sweet Store Releases”, echoing its candy-themed cosmetics. All of the items are themed around the Valentine’s Event recently released with a focus on candy and sweets. Let’s take a look at all of these brand-new items.

With this release comes a brand-new pet companion! The Pet Gummy Bear Bundle has everything one could need in a gummy friend. There are four different colors of bear: yellow, red, green, and blue. If you choose to take them on, these gummy bears will waddle beside you in-game as you traverse a world made of candy. If a particular bear catches your eye, you can buy them separately!

The Store team also released a new death effect. The Candy Death Effect has you respawning in a bright flash of candy-colored effects! Gummy bears and candy-cane particles will explode around you with this fabulous effect.

Three new hats have become available as well. Eat on the run with the Cookie Hat, which allows you to travel around with a freshly-baked cookie in your mouth. If you’re a cookie lover, this is the hat for you. There is also the Frosty Crown, a blue and white tiara of frosting sure to delight your sweet tooth. The final hat in this release is the Tango Rose Hat. This hat features a rose that sits in your mouth. With this hat, you can freely show off your suave looks to charm whomever you desire!

The Candy Scenery is also making its debut. This housing scenery is based around various delicious candies and foods, featuring gingerbread houses, candy canes, and lollipops galore. This scenery is a perfect fit for those looking for a brightly-colored background to their build.

Finally, there is a new Warp Key cosmetic! This Warp Key is the Backpack Buddy. This crimson backpack sits on the shoulder of the player, and a little bear pokes out from the zipper to keep you company. This Warp Key is a great addition to the growing collection of cosmetics.

You may now be wondering how to get these items. The easiest way is to travel to the PotterworldMC website and check out the store. However, the WizNetworker team is also hosting a giveaway for all players! The items you can win are all themed around the Valentine’s Event. This includes the Valentine’s Housing Scenery, the Red Wizard Hat, or the Heart Staff. The prompt for this competition is simple: write a small, heartfelt message saying something nice about someone else! For more details, check out the forum posts here (link there).

What did you think? Will you be buying any of the new store items? I know I certainly will! The blue Pet Gummy Bear is too precious for me to resist, and the Cookie Hat speaks to my love for chocolate chip cookies. Check out the store on the website or in-game to see which cosmetics suit you best, and make sure to send support and thanks to the Store team for their hard work this month! Enjoy the event and your new cosmetics!
2Yvag9s.png

Comments

Status

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Wonderful Weekly Assignments
Editorial
Written by MamaDuckie
Edited by Calliequeen

Happy mid-month Daily Diviner readers! With school back in session for most students, not many are strangers to school work. Even here on Potterworld, students don’t get to escape that extra take-home learning experience. About a year and a half ago, the Academics team brought us Weekly Assignments, giving those who couldn’t attend classes a chance to still learn about the magical world. We recently met with Academics Lead ElizabethTheToad to take a look back on these Weekly Assignments and to see what really goes into making them.

Weekly Assignments have been around for quite some time now. How have they changed or progressed since they were first introduced?
Weekly Assignments haven't changed much in terms of the assignments themselves, but visibility of them has definitely increased! We get many more submissions now due to players becoming more familiar with the system. On our side, we've become more efficient with grading and more comfortable branching out into lesser-taught subjects!

Creating the lesson plans for classes on Potterworld seems to be a difficult task on its own. Is creating the Weekly Assignments any different than normal class lesson plans? Can you tell us a little about the work that goes into them?
While writing both lesson plans and Weekly Assignments can be difficult, they're mostly fun to write! The biggest difference between the two is the limited student interaction with Weekly Assignments! In live classes, we're constantly communicating with a class full of students and able to answer questions in real-time for anyone confused. For Weekly Assignments, we need to make sure that everyone reading the assignment has all of the information they need to complete the assignment! Another difference is the difference in flexibility! Since we don't get that student interaction, many Professors choose to spice up their assignments with fun visuals or outside sources that would be difficult to do in-game!

Most people don’t like doing school work. Do you feel that learning about the magical world has helped motivate students to turn in their work each week? If so, what do you think motivates them?
I think learning about the magical world can definitely motivate people to turn in assignments! Delving into magical topics is inherently interesting because it's not something that we get to explore IRL. The deep lore we have on the server also gives us so much to work with and really makes it feel like an entire universe! I also think people enjoy the creativity that they're allowed in their assignments!

Thank you for taking the time to talk about the Weekly Assignments! Did you have anything you wished to add concerning them or anything from Academics?
I'd like to add that the Professors grading Weekly Assignment submissions truly do love reading everyone's amazing work! Every week, the talent and imagination that these submissions show are astounding! Finally, if anyone would like to become more involved with the server and has an interest in classes, the Class Helper application is open!

Academics plays a significant role in a student's journey through Potterworld. Between learning about the magical world and gaining experience to progress through quests and spells, you will always have something you can learn from Weekly Assignments and classes in general. So pick up your quills and keep your minds sharp, as the next Weekly Assignment is just around the corner!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Event Enthusiast jonvr
Server Spotlight
Written by Silquer
Edited by Calliequeen
Graphic and Render by: Prin_ce

Hello readers, and welcome to the Server Spotlight column. For each issue, we highlight a player or interesting feature of the server. This issue is no exception! Our spotlight of this issue is jonvr, a player on Potterworld for over two years and an enthusiast for the many seasonal events of the server.

What initially drew you to Potterworld? And what keeps you coming back? Why?
I think like most of us players my love for the Harry Potter franchise drew me to Potterworld. Now what keeps me coming back is the wonderful community of this server but the love for Harry Potter still plays an important role, too. Just experiencing the Wizarding World yourself in Minecraft is amazing!

Do you have any goals for yourself on Potterworld? If so, what are they?
Not really any more to be honest because I've managed to get my character to the max level and I've done most things I really wanted to already. Though one goal is to play as much as I can of the seasonal events on Potterworld which sadly isn't always possible anymore due to personal reasons and me having a lot more to do than when I started playing Potterworld.

What is something you're known for on Potterworld? Or what is something you're proud of having accomplished on the server?
The Event Lounge is the project I think I'm most known for within the community now. For those of you who don't know what it is, The Event Lounge is a discord server based around the wonderful seasonal events on Potterworld. It features everything we think such a server would need so from event guides to giveaways we have it all. Mainly we created this server for the community to get more involved with the seasonal events and bring the community even closer together. You can discuss events, get help with quests or just hang out and enjoy the events.

I have created the server in April 2022 together with Etgar who was a Magiventologist for Potterworld at that time. Now the server has already grown to be one of the largest discord servers related to Potterworld with about 250 members and we're really happy that so many people appreciate the effort we have put into creating, improving, and maintaining the server.

If you want to join The Event Lounge now feel free to message me on Discord (jon#4237) or just ask in the Potterworld Discord and someone will send you a link.

What does a normal day for you on Potterworld look like?
Unfortunately, at the current point in time, I can't be online that much anymore so I also don't really have a normal routine of things I do. But if you do see me online I'm most likely just talking in chat and vibing.

Do you have a favorite activity to do on Potterworld? What is it? Why is it your favorite?
In my opinion, playing minigames with others is really fun, or in general, doing things with other players is most likely the thing I do enjoy the most.

What is your favorite location on the map? Why is it your favorite?
I had to think about this one for a while but two locations I love are the Diagonal Lane and the Ministry of Magicians as you really feel the magic in those locations. Maybe I've forgotten an amazing location but those two are definitely great.

If you could recommend one thing about Potterworld that you think everyone else should try at least once, what is it and why should they try it?
Honestly, one thing you should do, no matter if you're a new player or not, is try to get involved in the community as much as you can because you can meet so many amazing people within the community and you really get to feel like you are part of a big family.

Do you have anything else to add?
Thank you to all of the Potterworld Staff team, my Event Lounge Staff team, and everyone else for making Potterworld and everything around it as much of a magical place as it is for all of us and I am really grateful for being a small part of our Potterworld family!

That concludes our Server Spotlight. Starting the Event Lounge is certainly impressive! Be sure to check out the Discord server if you’re looking for a community of fellow Potterworld event-lovers. Many thanks to jonvr for filling out the Server Spotlight form and sharing their activities on the server. If you’d like to be featured in a future Server Spotlight, be sure to fill out the form below. Have a great week on Potterworld!
vw5rF4a.png

Do you want to be featured in a future Server Spotlight article? Fill out our form here for a chance to be in our next Server Spotlight!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

What Type of Pizza Are You?
Lifestyle
Written by MintyEagle
Edited by snotflower

With February 9th being National Pizza Day, it’s time to celebrate this delicious meal coming all the way from Italy. There are many different types, from the popular pepperoni to the more odd cheeseburger pizza, so everyone can find their taste. With all of that said, which kind of pizza are you?

What’s your favourite thing to do on a day off?
A) Read
B) Hang out with friends
C) Play a musical instrument
D) Knit or crochet

Your friend invites you to choose a movie! What genre are you picking?
A) Comedy
B) Romance
C) Action
D) Drama

There are tasty snacks set out for you. Which are you eating first?
A) Cookies
B) Popcorn
C) Crips/chips
D) Fruit

Afterwards, the friend asks if you want to do something else. What would you like to do?
A) See a sporting event
B) Visit the shopping centre
C) Solve an escape room
D) Take a walk in the park

Wow, it’s been a long day! What’s the first thing you do when you get home?
A) Take a shower
B) Call friends and family
C) Watch TV
D) Go to sleep

The results:

If you got mostly A’s, you’re a cheese pizza! Although some people think you’re plain, you are actually the most exciting in the group. Often overlooked, you might feel alone sometimes, but know that you absolutely rock!

If you got mostly B’s, you’re a Hawaiian pizza! You have the perfect mixture of saltiness and sweetness that everyone wants to be friends with. So, go out there and have the party you’ve always dreamed of!

If you got mostly C’s, you’re a Chicago-style or deep-dish pizza! Although people think that the toppings are the best part, the inside is what really counts, and that’s the same with you. You don’t care what anyone else thinks, so own it!

If you got mostly D’s, you’re a Neopolitan pizza! Out of your friend group, you are the most mature and drive the way through whatever field you work in. The people around you appreciate a lot of what you do!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Interesting Potterworld Town Facts!
Lifestyle
Written by whoohoo
Edited by littledead

Hello, readers of the Daily Diviner! I welcome you back to another issue, filled with lots of articles to read. Today, the second Lifestyle article of this issue is about interesting facts about multiple towns in Potterworld. For each town, I have four facts I thought would be fascinating to learn.

The first town in today’s article is Appleby Village.

Fact one: Appleby Village has a youth Quabbleball team, where teen and preteen wizards and witches can try out for the Appleby Archers. The name is inspired by the story of William Tell, a headstrong man who refused to bow to his leader. As punishment, he was forced to shoot an arrow through an apple on his son’s head, which everyone believed he couldn’t do. To everyone’s shock, he did it and gained respect from those around him. People can play for fun on the local pitch outside of the team’s practice hours.

Fact two: Year-round, people can go berry and apple picking, visit the pumpkin patches, volunteer to help in bird training, and watch the Quabbleball team play other youth teams. There are also countless fields to run around in and play games such as football, capture the flag, and many more.

Fact three: Appleby lies south of the Humber Estuary, the mouth of the Humber River. To the south is the Great Ouse, a river that stretches into the Midlands. As a result, the areas around the town are ripe for larger-than-usual berry bushes and fruit trees. The small rolling hills are popular recreation areas used by the locals for picnics and hikes.

Fact four: Founded in the early 1600s, the cozy town was originally a lonesome inn and a small patch of farmland that grew to what it is today.

The next town we are talking about today is Longbay Landing.

Fact one: Longbay Landing is known to the locals as simply “Longbay”, and is a small village on the shore of the Bristol Channel. The village lies along a well-traveled route and is known as an overnight stop for visitors from land and sea. Visitors usually stay at the Wrecker’s Inn, named after the pirates who lived and operated along the stretch of the coast around Longbay centuries ago.

Fact two: The centerpiece of the town is a large lighthouse. It was built in the 1960s by the non-magical government to utilize the area’s potential tourism. The lighthouse is tended to by the locals, and many take turns volunteering their time as lighthouse keepers.

Fact three: To teach the community, Woodley occasionally gathers the townsfolk to commemorate Longbay’s founding while decorating the town with the theme of historical events.

Fact four: Hino Ayumi is the innkeeper at the Wrecker’s Inn. She moved to Longbay after graduating from Hogsworth and often hosts Japanese-themed events in town. The locals greatly enjoy these occasions, especially the trivia nights at the Wrecker’s Inn. There is talk of hosting a regional multicultural festival to boost tourism.

The third town is Rushstone.

Fact one: The mystery of Rushstone’s waters has been running for as long as anyone can remember, with no clear explanation in sight. Many had rumored the water was enchanted by ancient wizarding members thousands of years ago. Blessed and cursed at the same time, though nothing has ever been confirmed.

Fact two: Surrounded by mountains, Rushstone is a picturesque town where you can live a quiet life.It was founded in the 1920s, so many of the buildings have been updated to account for the time that has passed. However, along the outskirts of Rushstone, there are still signs of the original architecture used when the town was first settled. These few buildings, which were once in pristine condition, have now discolored and require support beams for stability.

Fact three: Rushstone is most commonly known for its only major export: bottled water. Rushstone Clear Spring Water first appeared in magical stores across England in the late 1990s.

Fact four: The water is filled with a kind of magic that keeps people drawn to the town.

The fourth and last town is Edgebrook.

Fact one: Edgebrook was founded by a group of magical villagers who had left Portstead after the Kraken began attacking the village. Many of the founders of Edgebrook were originally fishermen but gave up their ways to settle down and live with the land.

Fact two: The most recognizable building in Edgebrook is none other than the windmill. It towers above the rest of the buildings and is where most of the grains are ground up. The windmill is a family business run currently by Felix and Tamara. It is a point of sorrow for the village, as 50 years ago Tamara’s husband came stumbling out of the windmill after spending a night out with his friends, and fell into the nearly-endless well and drowned.

Fact three: After experimenting with bits of magic, they managed to create enchanted scarecrows that ward off creatures who try to come and ruin the crops. Not only that, but the scarecrows actually help harvest the crops at the end of the season, after which they die off and turn into compost that fertilizes the land so the crops the following year grow healthily.

Fact four: As many villagers were formerly fishermen, they needed to find a new way of life. Many of them began to farm to get food, replacing their need for fishing.

Thank you all for reading this article in our new issues of the Daily Diviner. I hope you learned something new and found these facts as interesting as I did! I hope you have a great day, and I hope to see you in the next issue!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

A Different Path
Original Works
Written by snotflower
Edited by Silquer

Oliver was stressed. No, stressed wasn’t enough — he was positively terrified.

“Mum, Dad, I want to be an author,” he practiced rolling the words around in his mouth, feeling the weight of each enunciation. Yet he felt waves of anxiety at each word; he could almost hear his parents react to his confession, lecturing with disapproval and disappointment heavy in their voices.

“Oliver! Dinner time!” his mum called from down the stairs, and Oliver stood from his bed, taking in a deep breath.

“Well, here we go,” he mumbled to himself, unsure of his own words.

Dinner was delicious as always. One thing Oliver loved about having a family of chefs was the wonderfully unique and complex meals they cooked. Even though he hadn’t been hungry when he came down, he found himself scarfing down the food as if he hadn’t eaten in days.

Oliver’s mother smiled fondly at him. “It’s so wonderful to have you back over break, Oliver,” she said, sighing. “We’ve missed you while you’ve been at Hogsworth. Is the food there any good?”

Swallowing, Oliver knew he could answer with full honesty. “Yes, it’s delicious. But not as good as what you have at the restaurant, Mum. Is this a new dish?”

His father nodded from the other side of the table. “We’re thinking of implementing it once break is over. It’s going to be a hit. Speaking of which, we can’t wait for you to start working here. We’re sure you’ll be able to come up with quite a lot of wonderful dishes of your own!”

Oliver put his fork down slowly, staring at his half-eaten meal. Now was his chance — he suddenly felt very nervous. But he knew if he didn’t speak up now, he would regret this moment for a long time after. “I don’t want to be a chef,” he said, quiet as a mouse.

“What? I couldn’t hear you,” His mother said, confused.

“I don’t want to be a chef!” Oliver blurted out. There was a sudden silence at the table. His face burned in embarrassment as his parent’s expressions turned from confusion to anger. “I want to be an author.”

His mother spluttered in shock and indignation, scrambling for words. “But, Oliver, we’re all chefs! It’s part of our family!”

Oliver crossed his arms, stubbornly meeting her gaze. “Well, I’m different. I love writing, and I have a lot of ideas for stories. I’ve never even wanted to cook. You just forced it on me.”

“It’s just a phase,” his father sighed, shaking his head. “Don’t make such a hasty decision.”

Oliver slammed his hands on the table, startling both his parents. Shooting up from his chair and pushing back from the table, he shouted at them, anger clouding his vision. “Shut up! I don’t want to work at your stupid restaurant!”

He turned and raced to his room before they could react, slamming the door shut and flopping onto his bed.

Pushing his face into the pillow, Oliver groaned. That had gone horribly. “Why can’t they just listen to me?” he mumbled. He felt shame wash over him as he replayed the scene over and over in his head. Rolling over onto his back, he stared at his ceiling in regret. He hadn’t meant to be so rude, but he knew that the feelings he had expressed were real. “If only they could read my writing,” he grumbled, regretting leaving it all at Hogsworth.

Suddenly, he had an idea. Hopping out of bed and heading over to his desk, he grabbed a quill and a piece of paper. While he couldn’t show them any of the work he had already written, he could always write something new…

Birds were chirping and daylight streamed onto Oliver’s face as he shot awake. As the events of yesterday came back to him, he remembered what he’d been doing before he fell asleep at his desk. Excitedly grasping the paper in front of him, he looked at it with trepidation; reading it over, he let out a sigh of relief. It was ready.

Leaving his room, he saw his parents in the kitchen. They looked like they had been expecting him. But before either of them could speak, Oliver shoved the paper into his mother’s hands. “Just read it,” he said, and his parents shared a glance before looking over the story.

It was less of a story and more of a retelling of his past school year. It started when Oliver had found solace at the library while studying, then moved on to how he had begun to volunteer there and discovered his love for reading and writing. He watched his parents read it, seeing their eyes widen as they finally understood his point of view.

His mother broke the silence first. “Oh, Oliver… We’re so sorry. We had no idea you felt so strongly about this.”

His father nodded, looking similarly ashamed. “We were too caught up in the restaurant. I can’t believe I dismissed your interests so quickly. You’re a wonderful writer, by the way.”

They embraced, and Oliver smiled, finally feeling a sense of peace in their once tumultuous household. He already had an idea of what to write next…

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

It's in the Stars: Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius
Miscellaneous
Written by autumnngrace
Edited by snotflower
Graphic, Render, and Skins by: Prin_ce, Chillinessa, and SalamiBaby123

Hello beloved Daily Diviner. I’m widely known as Seer Magnolia across the wizarding towns and cities. Luckily, the stars have aligned in such a way that brought me to you. I will guide you through your 2023 year, in which there will be both negatives and positives. This week I’ve been given the courtesy of introducing Libra, Scorpio, and Sagittarius to their fates.

Between the dates of September 23rd and October 22nd, the stars click into their place and represent Libra.

Any witch or wizard who has met a Libra would know their beauty is unmatched. It simply goes without saying, though I will say it anyway. Libras are one of the most beautiful creatures to grace this earth. The way they can control their temper in even the most stressful situations is admirable. Libras are blessed by the air element, allowing them to be especially intellectual and communicative.

During the lovely 2023 year, Libras may notice that they will face a multitude of challenges; however, as the year unfolds, they will overcome most if not all of them.

The stars are shining almost as bright as your fortune as the year comes to a blinding start. Libras are going to have dazzling luck in finance as the year begins. Keep an eye on your love life, as it may become more interesting in only the best of ways as the year progresses.

As the year continues you may find yourself facing some challenges. If you don’t pay attention to them it may result in avoidable problems of unforeseen nature. Do your best to stay vigilant this year.

The stars come together between October 21st and November 23rd to represent Scorpio.

While not everyone has had the opportunity to know a Scorpio, those that have met these determined folk know that they can get very jealous very easily. While they’re very secretive, they also have strong waves of emotion. Scorpios are very intense but very beautiful creatures.

While 2023 will be fairly normal for those of the Scorpio zodiac, this doesn’t mean that there won’t be challenges that they will have to face. The challenges, however, will also come with successes.

In the blazing 2023 year, Scorpios will be given the utmost respect from their peers. Scorpios will also be given multiple opportunities throughout this crazy year to allow for promotions in the work field.

Even though your work life will improve significantly this year, you may run across problems physically that could cause you misfortune. It’s good to pay attention to your finances to ensure that you can cover the costs of these misfortunes. Stay safe!

The stars have aligned one last time to allow for Sagittarius to come through.

The dates of November 22nd to December 21st make up the sign of Sagittarius. While Sagittariuses are optimistic, they also are very intelligent beings. This being said, they can usually understand social cues quite well. They’re also typically considered daring and creative on multiple fronts.

2023 is going to be quite the year for Sagittarius! It may seem never-ending towards the beginning of the year, but this will quiet down eventually.

Throughout the year, money and profit will be especially good for Sagittariuses. This should not be taken for granted, however, it’s still a very good time. This year will also bring them happiness in their family life.

Sagittariuses should be careful to avoid making the wrong decisions, as it could greatly affect their day-to-day life. There may also be some instability in relationships throughout the year, but what relationships these are is unclear.

While I would love to stay and continue chatting, it’s getting quite late. Thank you for reading, and stay safe and vigilant! Don’t feel shy reaching out, as I love talking to other witches and wizards. Until next time, goodbye!
OZLDp4p.png

Status