DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Special Edition: Appleby

Status
Not open for further replies.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Hello dear readers, and welcome to Appleby’s Butterbrew Festival! You have come a long way to see our festival here, and it is my job to give you a proper tour. Appleby Village is best known for its cozy country vibes and gorgeous fields of produce. Our butterbrew is evenly matched with Hogsend’s famous brew itself. With this in mind, pick up this guide, go to the entrance of the village, and follow along with me on a tour through the festivities!

Welcome to the Appleby Village entrance! The village proper is just ahead. On your left and right, you may have already noticed the stone walls that line the roads. Just beyond them are the rolling fields that are our pride and joy. Look there on your left for the apple orchard. I could get lost in those trees– at least I would not go hungry! Then, on your right is the grape vineyard. I just love wandering through the rows upon rows of bushes laden with ripening fruits.

Next, you will see the fireplace with access to the Fire Dust Network. Besides your Warp Key, this will be your primary access point in and out of the village. As you follow the road just past the fireplace, you will see a sign directing you to the Farmhouse. Go right on through the brick barns. Brush your hand across the old brick as you pass through; there is a rich history in every brick and beam of this village. Our village might be small, but we more than make up for it with our deep roots in tradition.

The little alley will spit you out in front of the Farmhouse. This homely building is bigger than it looks and much cozier than its hatch roof might imply! You can explore the interior later; for now, take a sharp right, and let’s visit the Marketplace.

Follow the path past the cobble wall. When you see the picnic tables and the orange, white, and purple banners strung about, that’s when you will know you are in the Marketplace! Here, you can talk to all of the vendors and participate in the fair games. Make sure to explore this place thoroughly for collectables and minigames. Most importantly, I recommend tasting our delicious butterbrew on your way through!

Our next stop is the Community Garden. Look around the Marketplace for a sign pointing you in the right direction and follow the path up a little hill. The garden is fenced in to protect our hard work from hungry animals! This little garden is Appleby's pride and joy; you will see all sorts of homegrown produce in here, from lettuce heads to sunflowers to tomatoes. Love and care is the secret behind our delicious foods!

Alas, it is time for our official tour to end. Outside the garden and to the left is the Town Hall. It is one of the biggest buildings in Appleby Village, placed directly at its heart. Inside, you will find the Mayor's Office, and its occupant would love to see you!

This is where I will leave you. However, there is so much left to explore! You may have seen the sign pointing to the Quabbleball Pitch, or the top of the Old Mill when you first entered. I hope you fall in love with our countryside, just as all of our residents have. Feel free to take your time and enjoy every sight Appleby Village has to offer. Have a lovely time exploring!

Comments

Status

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Welcome to Appleby Village, a cosy little town off the east coast of England, just south of Hogsend. It is set between the Humber and Great Ouse Rivers, and it has been underappreciated for centuries – though for no longer! Kevin has brought the United Kingdom’s annual Butterbrew festival to this lovely village to share its traditions with the wizarding world. If you are one of the many first-time visitors and are finding yourself overwhelmed by this diamond in the rough, you’re in luck.

Appleby Village is a farming village best known for its year-round autumn harvest of apples, berries, and pumpkins, with the local rivers to thank for keeping the land exceptionally fertile. It was founded in the 1600s by Blythe Appleby, a former Hogsworth Herbology professor.

The village was originally just a small inn owned by Appleby and a patch of farmland that he grew his crops in. Though the location was relatively unknown, passing travellers would stop to try some of Appleby’s homemade Pumpkin Punch. Unfortunately, its and the inn’s popularity could not compare to the Broomsticks Inn in Hogsend.

He had a claim to fame in another way, though – during the summers, magical families would send their children to learn business from Appleby. With the extra income, he was eventually able to develop more of the area. Many of the buildings that he helped build then you can still visit today.

Unfortunately, Appleby passed away in 1620, but the residents stayed. In the following year, 1621, the Ministry of Magicians registered the area and farmland as a magical village. The townspeople decided to name themselves in honour of the revered man.

Appleby Village has stayed the peaceful community it was when it was founded. The current mayor is Lady Joyce Appleby, a 16th-generation descendant of Blythe Appleby himself. It has barely expanded over the centuries, with only a few homes, fields, and a Quabbleball pitch being added.

The Appleby Inn has remained open to travellers and is presently operated by a townsperson named Caleb Nottingham. Some of you may remember him from your times at Hogsworth in the early 1990s, specifically due to the fact that he got expelled. He declined to comment on why, though rumour has it that it is the reason why he is such a fantastic bartender in the present day.

Appleby’s business camps are still run through the summer, as well. Nottingham, as the owner of the Appleby Inn, is in charge of the classes. Young witches and wizards are able to learn a variety of skills, such as marketing, statistics, and financial management. Campers learn first-hand by shadowing Nottingham and assisting him with the inn.

To this day, tourists continue to come to Appleby Village to get a taste of the original Appleby Pumpkin Punch. Appleby’s store, Blythe’s Pumpkin Punch, is now owned by Walker Rosario, who uses the same land that Blythe once did. Rosario has been perfecting the recipe for decades now, and you can have no doubt that he knows the recipe by heart.

Appleby Village is already known for their autumn festival hosting skills. The Annual Appleby Fruit Festival is hosted in October. Throughout the event, townsfolk exchange samples and recipes that they have developed throughout the previous year. One of the most beloved activities during the Festival is the pumpkin competition. There are multiple categories that townsfolks can enter: the biggest grown, the most creatively decorated, the scariest craving, and, of course, the smallest and cutest.

Hopefully, you all know a bit more about Appleby Village now and can appreciate the culture and festivities even more! Though I have gotten a sneak peek of the Butterbrew Festival with my fellow Daily Diviner writers, I cannot wait to see what it is all about. I hope you all have a wonderful time, and enjoy the rest of this Special Edition of the Daily Diviner! Have a magical day!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Hello dear readers, and welcome to a very special article on the Butterbrew Event! The Butterbrew festivals are an iconic feature in the end-of-summer events. For the past two years, the Butterbrew festivals have been hosted in August, just before many schools (including Hogsworth) have their students return for the first semesters. In my opinion, there’s no better way to drink in the last weeks of summer than with a cold butterbrew in hand. This makes the placement of the Butterbrew festivals in August a perfectly convenient time for all of us butterbrew enjoyers.

Now, having been to both Hogsend’s Butterbrew Carnival last year and Appleby’s Butterbrew Festival this year, I think this event has been solidified as one of my favorites to travel out to from our London headquarters. However, there’s no doubt that there are many differences between the two festivals. That being said, let’s take a trip down memory lane and compare and contrast last year’s carnival in the big city of Hogsend to this year’s festival in the small country town of Appleby Village!

First, I want to take a look back at the Butterbrew Carnival of 2022. This outdoor carnival took place in Hogsend, the big town usually known for its snowy landscapes and delicious butterbrew. For the carnival, the townsfolk went all out. I remember seeing the banners hung from building to building and staring in giddy awe at the many decorations around the city. Oh, and the smell of butterbrew! Cinnamon and spices practically left a visible haze in the air. The carnival was crawling with people too! There was so much laughter and twice as much butterbrew to go around. It felt as crowded as Diagonal Lane the week before students returned to Hogsworth.

There was plenty to do at this event. Most of the carnival was centered around the main square, where the Broomsticks Inn invited people into its doors with scrumptious smells and a cozy reprieve from the crowds. However, just outside of town, the carnival and petting zoo sprung to life with the help of the event organizers! Carnival games such as rubber duck fishing and fossil digging were set up in tents. Whenever I won (or got frustrated) with the carnival games, I took a walk to the petting zoo just down the path. It was full of adorable animals!

I have such fond memories of this carnival; how does it compare to the Butterbrew Festival in Appleby Village?

Well, Appleby Village is certainly much smaller than Hogsend. But that doesn’t make it any less cozy! And while there may be fewer houses and a smaller community, the fields sprawling out in every direction more than makeup for the small village. I could just get lost in the orchards and groves in this village. The smells here are immaculate; just walking through the front entrance into the city, the scent of fresh produce and sweet fruits serenaded my senses. It’s much quieter in the country as well. There aren’t as many crowds, and the townsfolk are quick to smile and eager conversationalists. There’s a lot to learn from the farmers out here. Ah, there’s that lovely smell of butterbrew. It tastes a little different from the butterbrew in Hogsend, but I couldn’t possibly choose which I prefer.

Despite its smaller size, Appleby Village has lots of festival games and Butterbrew memorabilia to offer. Keep a close eye out for collectables you can only find at this festival! Just like last year’s carnival in Hogsend, there are plenty of games to play. One of my favorites is balloon popping, but if that isn’t your style, take a short walk to the Quabbleball Pitch, break out your broom, and fly around the rustic field! Once you’re done and need a good snack, the village has you covered. I promise you have never tasted anything as delicious as Appleby Village’s freshly harvested and prepared foods! They are absolutely to die for.

All of that being said, it’s clear that these two events are very different, and this year’s Butterbrew Festival is a unique twist on the carnival Hogsend started last year. A big town like Hogsend is so full of life, but a small village like Appleby Village has rich history aplenty. Looking at all of this, it seems like these two festivals couldn’t be more different; however, I think it’s important to look at their similarities because they share plenty where it counts. That iconic smell of butterbrew is a constant in both locations. The lovely townsfolk stand out to me from both last year and this year! And don’t get me started on the decorations. I’ve never seen either town more lively than when they’re decked out for butterbrew season. These features are what make the Butterbrew Event so special, after all.

Appleby Village has it all this year; I truly can’t think of a more authentic butterbrew experience. I’ve enjoyed my visit to Appleby this year, and I hope you enjoy it too! I encourage you to explore everything this year’s event has to offer. Until next year!
1692781003367.png

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Hello lovely readers and welcome to the Daily Diviner Appleby Special Edition. Are you dreading going back to school soon? Looking for ways to forget your upcoming school woes and have the summer end with a bang? Look no further! We at the Daily Diviner want to share with you some of our favorite activities to do before the school year begins.

Generally, it's a good practice to try doing something old and something new. Since this year's Butterbrew Festival is being hosted in Appleby, there is no better way to celebrate than going apple-picking! Whether you're a fan of Granny Smiths, Golden Delicious, or Honeycrisps, apple-picking will give you the sweet or sour flavor you desire and pairs perfectly with some Butterbrew. If you don't want to eat apples by themselves, you can always bake them into a pie! Apple pie's apple, cinnamon, and nutmeg flavors compliment the cream and butterscotch flavors of Butterbrew. I highly recommend giving it a try!

If you're looking to save some money and make your own Butterbrew instead of purchasing some at the festival, I have the perfect 4-ingredient recipe for you. First, you'll need cream soda to use as a base. Then, you'll need 1 cup of heavy whipping cream, ½ cup of butterscotch topping, and ¼ cup of powdered sugar. Make sure to whisk your heavy whipping cream until it forms stiff peaks. Afterwards, you'll need to mix in the butterscotch and sugar into your whipping cream. Finally, pour the butterscotch mixture on top of the cream soda base. Your Butterbrew should be ready to serve!

Before you leave town, be sure to stop by and grab a souvenir from one of the market stalls. If you're up for a challenge, find someone you don’t know and befriend them. Try sending them a letter using an owl and making them a pen pal! Sending and receiving personalized letters help make those moments special and memorable.

Remember, it's never too late to relax and have fun in the sun. The Butterbrew Festival provides the perfect opportunity to end the summer with a bang. I hope you enjoy your last moments of summer in Appleby, and I cannot wait to catch up with you all during the school year! This has been Creme_de_Creme reporting for the Daily Diviner.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

Lost in the crowds of Appleby Village, there is a peculiar fellow – Kol Black, a Hogsworth student. The town is hosting the ever-so-popular Butterbrew Festival, which a copious amount of people are gathering for. Kol is there with his friends but has lost them to the mesmerising booths and stalls of the event.

Desperate to find his companions, Kol finds himself at a quaint little inn. He bumps into a few children that run around with their brooms, given there is a small Quabbleball game going on at the local field. It is the Appleby Arrows that are teaching younger children how to play the game and how to fly a broom. Kol is tempted to join in, but he didn’t bring his broom and already knows all they are teaching. He thinks of joining the Quabbleball game that is going to be held later, where they have offered anybody to play for a fun match.

Jeremy Watson, an Appleby Village native, has been walking around the pub, handing out small flyers for all of the shops in the town; it has all shops located on one flyer to make it easier. Jeremy made them himself with his older brother, who is sharing them around closer to the town entrance.

He notices Kol looking around like he was searching for someone. Jeremy has always been a nice person, so he decides to walk up to the boy to see if he needs any help.

“Hello, do you need help? You look a bit lost.”

Kol looks up at the sound of Jeremy’s voice, who kindly smiles at him. Kol gives the boy in front of him an awkward smile, realising he probably looks very lost.

“Ah, yes… sorry. I must’ve looked very odd with all my head turning. I’m looking for my friends. I lost them, and since I have never been to the town before, I have no clue where to look or go,” Kol explains himself, causing Jeremy to chuckle. That is not the first time he has heard that today.

“It’s fine. I’m Jeremy. I can give you a tour around the town and help you look for your friends in the meantime, if you want?” Jeremy offers a kind smile spread across his face.

“Yes, thank you. I’m Kol. It’s nice to meet you.” The pair shake hands and Jeremy leads them through the crowd of people to the exit of the inn. It is easy for the two teens. They talk about Hogsworth and realise they are in the same year yet in different houses, Kol being a Griffin and Jeremy a Raven.

“How do you feel about the fair, living here and all?” Kol asks Jeremy, genuinely interested to know how it would feel to have the Butterbrew Festival in your town. It had never happened to him after all. The time it was held in his town he was joining his father on a fishing trip.

“It’s different given the town normally isn’t as busy, but it is a nice difference. You meet a lot of new people while also seeing friends. There’s lots to do, so no boredom luckily,” Jeremy jokes about the last part, given he had been handing out flyers practically all day.

“That is true, you are right about that. It is indeed a lot of fun. Are you joining the Quabbleball match that is being held later?” Kol watches Jeremy shake his head while the boy explains he only really watches the game itself. He has never really felt the need to play the game, after all.

“Sometimes watching the game is more fun than playing it,” Kol responds, agreeing with his new friend. Jeremy leads him past shops, describing what they sell without missing a beat before they reach the Quabbleball field.

“Kol! There you are! We were looking for you.” Kol's friend, Thomas, walks up to him, noticing Jeremy by his side before he shortly introduces himself. The two shake hands as Thomas changes the subject, explaining that they signed Kol up in their team for the match.

“Thanks, it sounds like it will be fun,” Kol tells the raven-haired male. Thomas nods before going back to their other friends, leaving Jeremy and Kol standing there at the side of the field.

“I’ll cheer you guys on,” Jeremy speaks up, causing Kol to turn with a big smile. Jeremy normally does that during Quabbleball games at school for his house too.

“Thanks, you should go find a seat. It’s getting pretty crowded up in the stands already,” Kol advises his new-found friend, not wanting the boy to lose an opportunity to find a seat because they were too busy talking.

“Will do. Meet here after the match?” Kol nods, agreeing before they part ways. The match starts and the two new-found friends happily wave at each other when Kol flies past while Jeremy cheers him on for the rest of the game.
1693062496938.png

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Every autumn, people leave Appleby to attend the Butterbrew Festival. Given the chance, they will go across the country. However, none of my neighbours have left. Instead, crowds of strangers with acoustic guitars have made themselves at home in the surrounding fields. The noise has already given me a headache.

After the significant breweries set up their stands in the centre of town, my niece, Talia, is on my doorstep and springs into a hug. We sit down with nice cups of tea and talk about all sorts of stuff: family, friends, classes. Soon enough, the conversation turns to the fair. She’s really excited that it’s near me this year, and she wants me to join her. Although I feel that the festival is too loud, I agree to go with her for an hour.

With Talia holding my hand, we step into the fair. From the smell of freshly baked treats to children running around, Appleby has gone from peaceful to overwhelming. She leads me to a game, and the person running it gives us instructions: toss a ring so it lands on the neck of a bottle. We play a few games (and win a niffly plush), but the carnival is still too stressful.

Talia notices this and pulls a pair of headphones out of her bag. She suggests that I put them on, and it feels like a miracle. The noise calms down, and I feel like I can think straight. Who knew something so simple could help so much?

The rest of the day, we eat pastries, drink butterbrew, and play random games around the town. We even take frequent breaks to help ensure I do not get too overwhelmed. Although our wallets look much thinner than before, Talia and I feel like we had a spectacular time, noise and all.

Status