DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Special Edition: SAD #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Hello lovely readers and welcome back to the Daily Diviner! Today we will be covering Staff Appreciation Day and the Staff Writing Competition. Staff Appreciation Day is a week-long event held in January and July where staff and team members are recognized for their hard work on the server! This recent Staff Appreciation Day event was extra special as it was the last one held by the Inquisitor team. The theme for the writing competition was ‘Under the Sea’. Let’s see what our winners had to say!

What did you most look forward to before SAD was released?
Silquer: “I was most looking forward to these competitions, actually! The writing, skin, and dueling competitions are all really fun aspects of SAD that I look forward to. Even if I don’t participate in all of them due to time constraint, just knowing that time and care is put into these competitions to make them enjoyable for staff members is really nice.”
Mireiia: The activities that turned out to be the storybook and the talent show!
What does the writing prompt mean to you?
Silquer: The prompt “Under the Sea”, to me, means the hours spent in my Aunt’s sailboat, and all the times I’ve wondered what lies beneath the waters of the bay we sail in. Those memories of sailing are what I thought of when I heard this prompt, and was the overall inspiration for my story!
Mireiia: i instantly thought of the under the sea song from the little mermaid and it gave me some childhood memories of the little mermaid as it used to be one of my fav disney movies as a child which eventually inspired my story
Is there a specific line from your writing that you like? Why did you pick this line?
Silquer: One of my favorite lines is probably “Like the forks and plates and broken things on the shelves of the mer’s cave, and even like Maren herself, this child needed to be fixed.” It’s kind of a random line towards the end, but one I really like because of the callback to the mer’s cave and how it explains why they helped Maren out/why they have so many trinkets. They just like fixing things.
Mireiia: ‘Sebastian, I’d like you to meet my youngest daughter, Ariel.’ The King said, as Ariel’s little head was barely in sight. throughout the story i had never made it clear that it was in fact about sebastian and eventually flounder and it wasn't exactly "clear" that it was about the little mermaid. and with an ending line like that it suddenly made everything clear if it wasn't already and i knew the line I wanted to end with before I even began to write the story as I thought it was so powerful.
Anything else you’d like to add?
Silquer: Nope!
Mireiia: I was genuinely surprised that I won.
I would like to thank Silquer and Mireiia for their time and for answering our questions about SAD and the writing prompt. I hope you enjoyed reading their interview and that you check out the writing pieces they wrote. This has been x_Ivy reporting for the Daily Diviner!

Comments

Status

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
There was a squall brewing in the west. Maren could feel its breeze from her perch on the stern of her sailboat. It was distinctly cooler, a chilly breath tickling her skin and chasing away the warm wind she had grown accustomed to that day. The waves that knocked on the hull were textured with the ripples of the new wind, and just beyond the sun that peeked through the mainsail was a grey mass of clouds approaching. It looked thunderous inside.

Maren didn’t waste her time. She made a turnabout and followed the gulls that circled around her mast back to shore. She could see the docks in the distance when the first raindrop fell, and by then, it was too late. The wind picked up into a violent current that ripped into her sail and flew her hair and clothes into a disarray. She dropped the sails a moment too late, let the anchor go seconds before she should have, and it tipped.

Her normally sturdy boat took a dip to the side, and it didn’t stop. The weight of the boom and the anchor dragged the boat down along its side, and in a flurry of movement and panic, Maren fell.

She hit the water with a slam, pushed under by the weight of her own boat. It was dark and weightless for a moment, the tug of the current under her almost enough to drag her down into the depths below. She flailed and surfaced before she could let it. Harsh rain pounded on her already-soaked skin and hair, pushing droplets into her eyes, and she grasped desperately onto the side of her ship. Her grandfather would be laughing at her, she thought, for such a rookie mistake. Capsizing a catboat in a squall, Maren could almost hear him laugh from beyond the grave. I haven’t done that since I was a teenager.

At least her wand was still in her pocket.

A flash of lightning and a quake of thunder struck overhead, the wind picked up again, and her boat was pushed into her stomach. She hardly had time to take a breath before she was shoved underwater again, and the last thing she saw was the hazy image of the mast of her boat coming up to strike her in the head, and darkness consumed her.

She must have been afloat while unconscious because she was woken by the sensation of water filling her lungs and a hand around her wrist. It was dark, too dark, and she could see the light of the surface above slowly fading away. It was only muscle memory that had her reaching for her wand and casting Respiratus, and then she could see and breath again.

Her eyes were drawn to the scaly hand gripping her wrist and the claws that dug into her skin; her gaze traveled up along the spindly arm of the creature, to the face curtained by cyan wafts of hair, and down to the tail that made up their lower body. It was a merperson.

Her grandfather had spoken of them before, described them as creatures who would not hesitate to bring your boat down and you along with it.

And this one was dragging Maren down into the sea.

She struggled and thrashed against the hold on her wrist, but every movement was slow and— oh. There was blood sticking to her face under the bubble of Respiratus. She had a concussion, and the mer was being gentle. Against her better judgement, she let herself be brought down into the depths.

They led her down into a cave covered by lichen, pushed her inside, and sat her on a rock before moving away to flitter around the cave, gathering things in their clawed hands.

The cave was brightly colored. It spiralled away into darkness, but the first half that belonged to the mer was decorated in trinkets of every kind. Forks, plates, broken amulets that were held together by scraps of seagrass; things that were once broken, had drifted down, and were now fixed by this mer. It relaxed her a bit. This was not an aggressive being. She floated as still as possible when the mer cleaned the blood and bandaged her head, and then the two simply stared at each other.

She needed to get back to her house, to her younger brother— but the mer stood fast in front of the cave and shook their head. Maren sighed and began to swim, back and forth as if pacing. It didn’t seem as if she would be going anywhere anytime soon.

When the mer seemed fed up with Maren’s underwater pacing, they took her hand and beckoned her out of the cave. They swam along the curving sea floor, where schools of fish drifted by and seagrass perked up from the earth. There, in the distance, was a field of jellyfish.

Maren stared in awe at the sheer number of them. There were all sorts of colors: oranges and pinks, the kinds which she thought only existed in the sunset. The mer led them closer, until they were floating between the trails of frilly tendrils and could see up into the hollow balloons of their umbrella-shaped bodies. Only when she lagged behind, head aching, did the mer turn back to the cavern.

She drifted off inside the cave, casting Respiratus again when she needed to, and when she was offered seaweed to soothe her rumbling stomach, she took it. Somehow, the next day dawned; or Maren assumed it had, for it had grown dark and light again beyond the cave. Her strange circumstances were no less stranger, even as the mer took her hand again and ventured out beyond the cave.

This time they avoided the jellyfish and delved into a ravine. It was covered in trees that seemed to thrive in the pressure of the water. Delicate flowers grew on the tips of branches, and as they explored, the mer tucked one behind Maren’s ear. She didn’t take it out.

Sometime later (had it been days now?) they explored a glorious reef, swam beside the meandering turtles, and touched the tallest coral.

It went on like this for some time, and a haze fell over Maren’s mind as the mer led her from the deepest caves to the brightest reefs. The mer was kind and playful, so different from the merpeople she had encountered before.

And then, suddenly, clarity struck through her mind, and Maren knew it was time to leave. Her brother needed her. The mer did not stop her, despite the sad downturn of their blue lips and sorrowful grey eyes. Merely took her hand one last time, and led her into the ocean.

They did not go to the surface, but Maren trusted her friend. They went deeper into the ocean than ever before, through the now-empty field where they had swam with jellyfish, through the ravine of yellow flowers, and beyond the reef, where she was led into a small cave. In the center, among a bed of pink coral, was a bundle wrapped in sodden cloth.

The mer let go of Maren’s hand, lifted the bundle into their arms, and held it out. Inside was a human child.

Maren identified the small gills on the side of the baby’s face to be of gurgle weed, and she understood. This mer, gentle and kind, had found this human child, broken and alone, and wanted to save them. Like the forks and plates and broken things on shelves of the mer’s cave, and even like Meran herself, this child needed to be fixed.

Maren took the bundle, and the mer smiled, satisfied. They swam back to the cave, beyond it, and to the surface, where the ocean’s floor slanted upwards to the shore. She moved toward it, one hand full of the bundle and another in the mer’s own hand; but they didn’t let go. She looked back, and the mer was holding on tight, unwilling to let go of their friend.

She moved her hand to cup their scaly face, and smiled. “We’ll see each other again,” she said, and although the mer likely couldn’t understand her, they smiled anyway, and let her go up to the shore where she belonged.

They would see each other again, and until then, Maren would take care of the broken child in her arms.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff

I still remember it like it was yesterday. The sound of the rowdy ocean waves hitting the shore, the tall grass waving in the wind and the sound of seagulls desperately looking for something to eat. As I was starting to wake up, I could feel the warm sand covering my shell like a warm, fuzzy blanket.

‘We’ll be right back honey! Stay where you are, okay?’ Mom yelled as my sister followed her towards the ocean.

I opened my claws to pull myself out of the sand when a big shadow slowly shifted over me. I squinted my eyes to see what was creating the shadow, but my face turned completely white when I realized what it was. A massive seagull had spotted my mom and my sister and it was flying at them at full speed.

‘Seagull!’ I yelled as loud as I could, as I pulled myself out of the sand.

I was too late. When I had finally succeeded in removing the sand that was covering my shell, all that was left of my family was two empty, red shells. I cried and ran over towards them, until I froze at the sight of the big, black shadow covering me once again. I began to violently dig myself into the sand, desperately avoiding the big, yellow beak of the seagull trying to find itself some breakfast. I covered my head with my claws until the violent searching for something to bite in had stopped. As I dug myself out, I was finally able to take a good look at what was left of the beach. The entire beach was covered in empty, red crab shells. It seemed like I was the only survivor.

I must have sat on the beach for hours, looking at the monstrosity that the seagulls had left behind. Everything was gone; my home, my friends, my family… There was nothing left for me anymore. At that point, I decided to stop moping around and I walked straight into the ocean.

The water felt soft to the touch. A school of tiny fish immediately swam by, greeting me while I slowly walked into the water. It was beautiful. Rays of sunlight were shining through the water, showing off all the colored coral and fish that could be found, hidden out of the human eye’s sight. I shook off the last pieces of sand from my tiny legs and I began to swim.

On my journey, I saw species that I had never seen before. I saw sea turtles, octopi, jellyfish, whales and even sharks. I had never seen so much life before; it was amazing.

‘Where are you going?’ A tiny fish, covered in yellow and blue stripes, swam up to me.

‘Excuse me?’ I replied.

‘I have seen you swim aimlessly for days now, I was just wondering where you were going.’ The little fish gave me a curious look.

‘Oh, um.. I actually don’t know where I’m going to be completely honest with you. I’ve just been wandering around.’

‘Have you not heard? It’s shark season, it’s not safe for you to be swimming out here all by yourself.’ The little fish anxiously looked around, probably making sure there wasn’t a shark lurking around a corner.

I shook my head.

‘You’re welcome to come with me if you want, I’m headed for the kingdom.’

‘Kingdom?’ I asked, as I had no idea what he was talking about.

‘I am supposed to meet my mom there, you see, she wants to make a proposal to the King.’ He said while slowly swimming away, waiting for me to follow him.

‘The King of fish?’ I asked while I started to follow him.

The little fish laughed. ‘No, silly. The King of the ocean! You know, the merman?’

‘Wait, that kingdom really exists?’ I asked, flabbergasted. My mom always told me stories about the kingdom that could be found in the deep blue sea, however, I never thought it to be true.

‘Yes, you’ll see soon enough!’

The little fish started to wag its fins excitedly as his speed increased. He was clearly faster than I was, as I had a lot of trouble trying to keep up with him.

Shortly after, I was blinded with a shimmer off in the distance. It immediately caught my eye.

‘What’s that?’ I asked the little fish.

‘We’re here! That’s the castle!” He wagged his fins with excitement as he rushed for the entrance.

It was beautiful. Hundreds of mermaids and mermen were swimming towards the enormous, golden castle. It was nothing like anything I had ever seen before.

We carefully swam past all the merpeople waiting in line to enter the castle.

‘Mom!’ The little fish yelled as he rushed over to another fish that looked exactly like him.

‘Oh, Flounder, there you are! I was worried sick about you- who’s this?’ Her attention quickly went from the little fish to me, who was now anxiously pinching onto his fins.

‘I- I’m..’ I was interrupted by the sound of trumpets and drums, quickly followed by crowds of merpeople cheering.

It was the King. A giant merman entered the room. He held a massive trident, which he carefully placed in its holder once he reached his throne. Six little mermaids followed him and carefully placed themselves behind his throne.

A seahorse with a scroll carefully swam up to the tiny stand that was placed in front of the throne.

‘Please welcome King Triton and his seven daughters!’ The trumpets were once again heard through the entire room.

I was so astounded by the sight of everything that was happening, that I hadn’t noticed the little fish and his mom had swum over to the sides of the room, leaving me all alone at the center.

The King looked me directly in the eyes.

‘And who might you be?’ He asked.

‘S- Sebastian, sir.’ I stuttered.

‘Is this your first time in the castle, Sebastian?’ He looked around to everyone that carefully placed themselves near the edges of the room, until he looked back at me.

‘Yes, sir.’ I could feel my entire body shaking.

‘Very well then, Sebastian, I’d like to introduce my daughters: Attina, Alana, Adella, Aquata, Arista and Adrina.’ He looked surprised when he looked at his daughters, as if something was missing.

‘Follow me, please.’ He said to me while quickly swimming out of the room, leaving everyone behind.

I nervously looked around the room before I quickly swam after him. I couldn’t believe it; I was following the King through the castle.

‘Ah, there you are!’

A little mermaid with bright red hair swam out of the massive sea shell located in a different area of the castle. As soon as she saw me, she quickly hid behind the King, as if she needed his protection from me.

‘Sebastian, I’d like you to meet my youngest daughter, Ariel.’ The King said, as Ariel’s little head was barely in sight.

Status