DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Who you gonna call? Bug-busters!

MattDoesArt

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: MattDoesArt
Auralock Griffin
Howdy Everyone!
Many of us are very excited for the upcoming "Revelius Update" and I am sure that the project's Staff members are working hard and are trying to deliver the best experience to each one of us, even if it takes time! However, no update is perfect when first launched. We were told by Staff that there were still bugs and small issues to fix. We understood that and kept waiting, but during that time I asked myself: "What if after the Revelius update is out, the bug solving experience could be somehow improved and become faster, so we'll be able to avoid longer wait-times in further updates?:unsure:", so I came up with this idea that could benefit both Staff AND Players! I present to you, "The Bug Buster!" [Picture 1.] ( I allowed myself to make a little sketch model of it, that lacks of shading and can be modified at will if this idea is approved)
(Picture 1)
ANTRENDER.png

I'll say this immediately- I was inspired by another video-game (Team Fortress 2) where cosmetics and hats are one of the main aspects of it. There, a similar hat (called "The Finder's Fee" [Picture 2.]) is given to players who report bugs to the developement team.

(Picture 2)
Finder'sFee.png

I also prepared an hypotethical way on how the hat would work and I'll list it below:
- This hat could be given [for free] to players who find a bug / glitch and report it via forum (or perhaps ticket), by sending multiple screenshots of said bug.
- This hat would be free cause it's more of an "achievement" (?) hat rather than a real cosmetic.
- In order to decide whether or not to give the hat to a player, Screenshots of the bug could be revised and confirmed by a staff team member.

[PROS of this Suggestion]:
+ Speed of bug finding and solving increased for the staff team.
+ Players who maybe don't want to buy a hat from the shop can earn one!
+ Eventual use for Roleplays (???)
[CONS]
-It might not be the most aestethically pleasing hat.
-Players might not be interested. (But hey! Why not giving it a shot?)

(Example of the Bug Buster on a player, in this case, me!)
BUG BUSTING!.png

That said I hope someone takes a look at my idea, and if it's rejected it's fine! I just wanted to give it a shot, but feel free to tell me your thoughts!

Thanks again and have a wonderful day,
-MattDoesArt :D

P.S: [!!!] This suggestion isn't meant to offend any Staff member or player! The project isn't meant to say that Staff is slow, I thought that this idea would be a way to make bug-solving even more efficent than it already is! [!!!]

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: luckiestblock
Honeybadger
I wanted to say first that you spent a lot of time on this post (it shows) and your dedication is not lost on me. 2nd: I LOVE this idea. I heard about back in the day if you helped to fix bugs they would reward you with a placeable/collectible droobledoll (See Trickyshot's housing/museum for an example). I would love a revitalization of this system and it gives a greater incentive to report bugs other then just hp. The only issue that I can think of is that such a hat would take development time away and that it may take more time to develop such a hat then the time saved from the higher reporting of bugs. Still Really Cool and I look forward to its implementation if accepted! :)

Last edited:

HektorTM

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: HektorTM
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf SPEW
i totally love your idea! It would be great to earn something except housepoints for finding Bugs. This also might encourage players to look for bugs more frequently (?). This would help the Staff to make The Revelius Update even more exciting and perfect!

- Hektor

Motionic

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: Motionic
Dark Follower Griffin Vampire
Heya Matt, thank you for sharing this idea! We always love seeing players thoughts and ideas. I will bring up your suggestion with the other poltergeists and get more feedback on this. I will inform you of our decision once it has been made. Have a wonderful day!

Motionic

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: Motionic
Dark Follower Griffin Vampire
Hello @MattDoesArt! I apologise for the delay! Unfortunately, we will be declining your suggestion due to the fact that we do not usually want players purposefully going out and finding bugs yet this would encourage that to happen. Players should also be reporting bugs to help the server and not to receive a reward from doing so. Additionally, there is already a reward in the form of housepoints. Thank you so much for bringing forward this idea and I hope to see more from you in the near future. Have a wonderful day!

tiggs_

Magician
Minecraft IGN: Jacooob_
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire
Awesome idea, such a shame it was denied.

As you say, games such as Team Fortress 2 have this sort of system implemented and they've been a successful game for god knows how many years now.

I also had a friend of mine tell me quite some time back that he found a pretty serious bug, and he asked me what the reward is for reporting it. I told him it was house points and he said "lols yeah right" and decided not to report it.

Idk what the bug is and he doesn't play anymore so don't ask.

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: luckiestblock
Honeybadger
This decline message doesn't make any sense to me.
It says that they do not want to encourage players to purposefully find bugs (I don't know why because finding them will cause them to be fixed sooner) and that a reward encourages this. It then says that there is already a reward so the suggestion is pointless. Am I missing something? You have to pick one, you can't say the suggestion is bad because having a reward is bad and then say that the suggestion is pointless because they already have a reward.

tiggs_

Magician
But yeah, kind of upsetting to see an idea that has clearly had so much thought and effort put into it, even some incredible artwork, be denied on reasons that don't even make sense, as said above.

nathan1e

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: nathan1e
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Players should also be reporting bugs to help the server and not to receive a reward from doing so.
But, why?

To me this sentence makes very little sense. I would assume that the staff team's intention is to offer a game that is as qualitative as possible, so following that assumption I would think it would make sense for staff members to want players to report as many bugs as they can find as possible.

However, this sentence seems to suggest that this is not what staff members want. It rather suggests that staff members only want players to report bugs when their own intentions are that of helping the server.

So again, why? Why does the staff team only accept bug reports sent with a specific intention? How are they able to tell the difference between bug reports sent to help the server and bug reports sent to hopefully get a reward (in the form of house points)? And, perhaps most importantly, why doesn't the staff team want to offer a more relevant reward if that would mean players being more motivated to report bugs?

Nyn

Professor
Minecraft IGN: xNyn
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
People would be more likely to REPORT bugs they find if there's a better reward, dumb decision to decline this :shrug:

Magma

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: MagmaC4
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Hello @MattDoesArt! I apologise for the delay! Unfortunately, we will be declining your suggestion due to the fact that we do not usually want players purposefully going out and finding bugs yet this would encourage that to happen. Players should also be reporting bugs to help the server and not to receive a reward from doing so. Additionally, there is already a reward in the form of housepoints. Thank you so much for bringing forward this idea and I hope to see more from you in the near future. Have a wonderful day!
I don't get why it's bad to have a reward for reporting bugs? If people are looking for bugs and report it for the intention of getting a reward, I don't consider that to be harmful at all. They're getting rid of bugs that otherwise would only get patched when people who care about the server come across it. I think even Hypixel has a reward that's given to people who report game-breaking bugs in skyblock.

tiggs_

Magician
I think you make a valid point @Magma when you say that people will go looking for bugs with the intention of REPORTING them. I really hope staff relook at this suggestion.

Ashh

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: AzureAsh
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Discord Moderator SPEW Game Designer Lead
Hello, we’ve read your responses and we would first of all like to apologise for any confusion.

I’d first like to clarify our statement of “we do not usually want players purposefully going out and finding bugs”. What we meant was that we feel that we don’t want people to purposefully go out and find any major or game breaking bugs that can easily be abused. However, we have phrased this in the wrong way and we apologise for that.

The message that was being given in the sentence, "players should also be reporting bugs to help the server and not to receive a reward from doing so", is that we would like players to report bugs because they want to notify staff of an issue and make sure that it is not abusable by others. This is not the sole reason for us wanting players to report bugs, but rather what we would like to encourage to happen. We do not only accept bug reports that have a specific intention and we do not look for this in bug reports in any form.

The current bug report system does indeed offer a reward in form of house points, which we have always found to be a fair reward. However, we understand now that this is not the most encouraging reward for players. We will still be declining the suggestion of a hat, as we would like these types of items to be exclusive to our store. We will be discussing this further though. We are aware that our bug reward system can be improved and the dev team is currently discussing this. The aim is provide a first report exclusive item and possibly an additional reward for every other bug.