DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

World Restarts

Honey_Dwarf1

Archivist
Minecraft IGN: Honey_Dwarf1
Phoenix Raven
It would be great if world restarts and their effect could be taken into account when creating events, gameplay etc, whether by giving more time in advance warning of a restart, having it in some way that certain worlds pick their restart time more carefully, or making restarts have less of an effect.

Problem
In the canvas co-ordinator game (CC), world restarts , you are kicked straight out of the game with no reward, though it does take the pride tokens and you are not given either a win or a loss. I find it a lot of effort to put into remembering all the colours, and when suddenly all my efforts are for nothing because of a world restart (completely out of my control and clearly not my fault), it's incredibly frustrating. It's not just the loss of pride tokens - it's only 2 after all - it's mainly the frustration of having put the time and effort into the game only for it all to be wasted. You don't even have time often to purposely fail the game to receive a few points instead, which would be at least manageable.

Possible solutions
I'm not sure how world restarts work honestly. In /worlds, it shows 'next restart', but restarts are far more frequent than that (I think) and it doesn't show event worlds at all. It would be useful to know when the next restart is ahead of time in /worlds, though maybe they happen for other purposes that aren't necessarily known in advance

This could also be helped by a longer delay between the message in chat and the actual restart, giving players time to fail on purpose, though this is obviously not an elegant solution unless the warning is long enough that players are able to get through a whole game in time, which might not exactly be possible.

Another idea would involve world only restarting when, for example, nobody is playing a game like CC. I'm not sure how plausible this is, either technically or realistically depending on how often there is a gap when nobody is playing, but it would really reduce the problem (maybe even a gap could be artificially made by not letting players start a game and restarting once everyone is out).

Finally, the restarting itself is not the main problem - it's the consequences of it. In the CC, the consequences are that the game automatically ends and you get no rewards despite having spent the 2 tokens and the time on it. Once again, no idea how technically easy this would be to solve, but anything that could help reduce the effects of a restart during a game would really help. For example, if there was a way to make the game continue after the restart (which would probably be particularly difficult in this game as an example) or even a block you could click on to pause the game in those games where it couldn't be abused (you could argue that this could be abused in CC, but there are already so many other ways to cheat the system that I think this one hardly matters) so that the game could continue after the restart.

There was a post a while back talking about a dungeon or something like that which restarted and kicked everyone out. Since dungeons are minigames now, this is probably not a problem now. A similar idea of using minigame systems could be applied to other things where a world restart would cause major problems.

With the increase in more interactive games like the new CC which involve a very careful system that has to run without interruptions and end up badly with any glitches that happen, I think it's really important that something is done to make sure world restarts aren't constantly making new releases more and more frustrating by ruining games that players put a lot of effort into.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Psycho
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
A similar idea of using minigame systems could be applied to other things where a world restart would cause major problems.
I think this would be a better option if another game similar to Canvas Coordinator or even that Whack a Frog game were created for future events. Plus I noticed that the Canvas game would lag at times whenever I saw players finish a game such as Hide and Seek - the color titles showed a bit of lag. Hopefully they can figure something out because it is frustrating when you're 7 minutes into a 10 minute game and then you get switched to another world without getting a reward for it!

Honey_Dwarf1

Archivist
Minecraft IGN: Honey_Dwarf1
Phoenix Raven
For some extra information ^^ I have played 19 games in total, and of those games, 3 of them have ended in a world restart (I can tell from talking to the NPC where it says total games played - which seems to count when you enter a game - and adding up successful games and unsuccessful games, which only counts the end of a game). 3/19 is a LOT of games to not work.
Looking at the global stats, assuming that all incomplete games are because of world restarts, which may not be true, i don't know, there have been 210 incomplete games, or around 3.8% of the games, which is a little less than 1/25 (so it seems I have been particularly unlucky). These global numbers are obviously not necessarily perfect - maybe some incomplete games were due to other reasons eg a person leaving the server in the middle, which probably wouldn't save. But there may have been even more games interrupted than shown if people were able to use the strategy or purposely failing the game, in which case it would only show as a failed game but the player would still have lost out on what they deserved, which was more reward.

Nives

Animorphus
Staff
Minecraft IGN: annivelation
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Vampire Werewolf Sr. Poltergeist
Hey there @Honey_Dwarf1 !

Thank you for bringing up this suggestion! We always appreciate players coming forward with new ways to improve the server. I'm happy to tell you this suggestion has been accepted! We have made the decision to increase the time between world restarts to make issues that arise from the world restarting less of a problem for players. This has already been implemented!

We hope you enjoy the new change and wish you a nice day!