DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

7 Easy-ish Steps to Help Reignite Professions

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Minecraft IGN: MattyPoltergeist
Serpent Werewolf
Over the past two years, Deci, Mateo, Llama and I have been chatting amongst ourselves and staff members about the current situation of professions. Over this time we have come to some agreements that we think would help reignite professions into the day-to-day Potterworld life and economy. Mateo made a suggestion sharing these last year, but here are my specific ideas with a more concise and chronological order.

Step 1: Accessibility

This is by far the easiest thing Potterworld can do to make professions feel a LITTLE bit more alive: that is to add an obvious brewing/cooking station VERY close to the Great Hall (the closest right now is in the dungeons). One of the aspects of old professions that made it so nice was the ability to see all your friends making food and potions around you. This is basically impossible nowadays due to how many profession stations there are, all sparsely placed around the map.
To stick a few stations right in the centre of Potterworld would remind people constantly that professions actually exist, and show people that they don't have to be alone when doing them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 2: Organisation

This step should be very easy and not take too much time: please organise the professions GUI. For example: there are NINE levels of 'Transformative Tonic' potions, all giving varying amounts of Transfiguration Damage, there are ALSO nine types of Hijinx Mixture (all giving Jinx Damage), nine types of Restorative Draught, 3 types of Piercing Potion, nine types of Puffing Pod (Transfiguration Resistance), nine types of Jester's Tea (Jinx Resistance).... and I think you get the point.
In fact, there are only 16 types of potions and food with differing names and base effects, but there are a 121 FILLED slots! All the potions with the same base name and effects (not the same level) should be merged into one clickable potion that will then take you to the rest.

In addition to this, some potions should be removed from the game all together, for example: The level 10 potions all give 100 of a certain effect while the level 1 potions already give 50 and the level 20 potions give 150. The same is true with the level 40 potions which are only 150 effect points above the level 30. These potions just seem unnecessary and either changing their stats or removing them all together would be a beneficial change.

Lastly, food names should be tweaked to make it more obvious of their purpose and make them feel more magical: 'Puffing Pod Tea', 'White Cocoacursed Delights', and 'Charming Fizz Tea' aren't exactly the best names for food, especially not when you want to know what they specifically do.
All this will make the menu feel less cluttered and therefore be less overwhelming to players: both old and new.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 3: Balancing

This one, while possibly taking some time and a few complex spreadsheets/docs, should also be fairly easy to implement with little tech needed.
Unfortunately, one of the main problems with professions is the amount of materials needed to make them, with huge disparities between them. To me it seems that random numbers were just thrown at each item. Piercing Potion needing EIGHT nightsahde and even Felix Fortuna needing NINE dittany - both these plants are EXTREMELY hard to get (as they are not tied to a specific mob) and take hours to get a good portion of. On the other end, you have foods such as the 'Dark Cocoacursed Delights VIII' (super catchy name btw) needing only 3 ashpodel - a plant you can get stacks of in only a couple of hours, and much more with a good group of people.

First of all, I would suggest to fix the distribution of both Dittany and Nightshade (possibly Wolfsbane as well but for now it seems okay). I know the goal was to make plants distribution seem unique but that doesn't require them to be so sparse and random. They could be placed around buildings, on more specific routes, in caves, near trees, by he sea, or on islands.

Secondly, the staff should take a look around the map and test how easy it is to get certain plants and mob drops, and tailor the requirements accordingly - hopefully they can look at drop rates to do this, as well as going to pre-known plant areas to estimate their number/concentration (I will leave a comment below with all of the locations, just in case they aren't already known).

Thirdly, the staff must take into account the possibility of failing profession cooking/brewing, which will remove all the used ingredients. While this shouldn't be focussed on overwhelmingly (as eventually people will perfect the technique), it should be considered for newer players who are less experienced.

Step 4: Fixing Herbology

Most people don't know where plants are. It's that simple.
One of the most frequent questions I see in chat is "Where is (*insert plant here*). Obviously this was done to give a sense of exploration but with Herbology no longer acting as a seperate entity to the other professions, it should be made easier to navigate the map to find them. One idea would be a GUI codex (incorporated into the existing Recipe Book) which tracks whether you have been to a location with a higher concentration of a certain plant - very similar to how Explorations work but with plants! This would mean the exploration sense would not be ruined but also would remind players of the best areas in which to get all their herbology goods!
Also I'd like to mention that there doesn't seem to be much reason to have plants at different levels right now... apart from just being awkward. Making all plants have the same level would mean that herbology can be done anywhere in the world and that all plants currently under level 70 wouldn't be completely useless to graduates. Obviously the ingredients would have to be balanced accordinly if this were to be done.

Step 5: Selling and Collecting

Okay, this step has been suggested many times already but I wanna go into more depth on why it should be done.
Many people have said this shouldn't be done because Potterworld should build an economy around the players and the distribution of wealth, rather than the spawning of it. I completely agree.
However, if Potterworld wants to reignite the desire to make professions items, but doesn't currently have the staff force to make any major changes, then this would be a great way to do it. This feature would simply involve selling potions to an NPC in return for gold (probably a lowish amount to continue to decrease inflation).
I do think if Potterworld has plans to update professions and incentivise them to be sold on the market, then they should eventually get rid of the selling to an NPC mechanic and allow the player-based economy to flourish in its place. Unfortunately, this would likely be a long way off.

If the staff team still isn't fond of this idea then another one would be collecting. Potentially there could be a GUI or book where every potion/food is categorised with its specific level. One you brew/cook all the professions items from that level, you can redeem some sort of prize (maybe gold, but even better: a collectable). The rewards would get better and better as you go up but eventually you would have the chance to have made ALL the professions items and get a MEGA prize such as an awesome wand, a broom appearance, a prefix, a super cool interactable collectable, or maybe a whole host of things (to be extra cruel, you could have this last reward require the trading in of all previous prizes - making it far more valuable).
This would be a kinda meh way of incentivising players to brew but it is far less effort than adding a new levelling system or completely revamping the whole of professions.
^
Alternatively, a system similar to Lacerum Incisis could be done with just one NPC that you can trade profession items in and it gives you points based on the difficulty of the potion. Eventually, once reaching a certain amount of points, you get a spell or a cosmetic (personally a PvP spell would be the most incentivising). There could be multiple tiers that you have to surpass to get to the grand prize, acting as a de facto levelling system. This would be my preferred way of doing things.

Step 6: Fun Potions!

Now, I realise that there is currently only 1 Engineer right now, but this step is more for the future. Staff should never be afraid to add new and fun potions to break the mold of the currently boring and repetitive ones. There were LOADS of different cool effects in pre-Revelius professions that made them actually fun to use - even in Duelling. They had tornadoes, wigs, blinding ones, ones that would put messages on people's screens - and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Potterworld shouldn't think that going back to these old potions and using the exact same effects makes them unoriginal or regressive; we all agree the old professions items were awesome and we'd love to see them make a return whenever possible! I'd certainly brew a potion that would send my friend flying in circles into the air!
Right now, potions and cooking items just feels so repetitive and all merge into one after a while. So it would be great to see some more experimental goods, even if only one is added each month because it would still be better than the current scenario.
Some of these potions could even have to be unlocked or discovered in different parts of the map or with quests etc.

Step 7: Focus on Professions!

Professions are a vital part of the game and making potions is a crucial aspect of any wizard's life. Professions could act as a great way to stimulate the economy with a greater distribution of goods and, in my opinion, it is the one thing that needs the most attention right now. There's so many options for the future and all it needs it a bit of creativity.

Now, these 7 steps alone won't make potions completely active, but they are a great start. Eventually, potions probably needs to return to some kind of levelling system to add a feeling of progression (not as rigid as the one pre-Revelius though), but until the staff team feel comfortable to do that, these will at least show the playerbase that professions haven't been completely neglected.

Also, please don't feel a need to add all these steps simultaneously to the game in a big update. The whole point is that they are done one at a time and that's why the first ones are much easier than the last.

Thanks for Reading!

Last edited:

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
Step 1: Accessibility

This is by far the easiest thing Potterworld can do to make professions feel a LITTLE bit more alive: that is to add an obvious brewing/cooking station VERY close to the Great Hall (the closest right now is in the dungeons). One of the aspects of old professions that made it so nice was the ability to see all your friends making food and potions around you. This is basically impossible nowadays due to how many profession stations there are, all sparsely placed around the map.
To stick a few stations right in the centre of Potterworld would remind people constantly that professions actually exist, and show people that they don't have to be alone when doing them.
So I made a similar thread taking about this (https://potterworldmc.com/threads/potions.12236/) and the reply I got is "searching for a brewing station to create a potion adds to the process and challenge of making potions" which I disagree with as its not even something that people do, brewing is dead, and accessibility is one of the steps to fix that.
About organisation, my opinion is that the current potions and food should be scrapped. They have zero use and like you said, there so much of them while in reality theyre all pretty similar.
Unfortunately, one of the main problems with professions is the amount of materials needed to make them, with huge disparities between them. To me it seems that random numbers were just thrown at each item.
Even tho I agree that the numbers are pretty random and Im convinced theres wasnt much thought for them, I dont think its too much of a problem either. Yes, some materials are harder to get, but thats fine. It motivates the economy for those items etc. and is something that could work well if potions had a solid system.
Step 4: Fixing Herbology

Most people don't know where plants are. It's that simple.
One of the most frequent questions I see in chat is "Where is (*insert plant here*). Obviously this was done to give a sense of exploration but with Herbology no longer acting as a seperate entity to the other professions, it should be made easier to navigate the map to find them. One idea would be a GUI codex (incorporated into the existing Recipe Book) which tracks whether you have been to a location with a higher concentration of a certain plant - very similar to how Explorations work but with plants! This would mean the exploration sense would not be ruined but also would remind players of the best areas in which to get all their herbology goods!
Also I'd like to mention that there doesn't seem to be much reason to have plants at different levels right now... apart from just being awkward. Making all plants have the same level would mean that herbology can be done anywhere in the world and that all plants currently under level 70 wouldn't be completely useless to graduates. Obviously the ingredients would have to be balanced accordinly if this were to be done.
Just like theres a overwhelming amount of food and potions, the same thing happens with plants. It makes zero sense that one plant should have 7 levels or whatever the number is. There should be common plants and rarer plants, but the current system just makes it very confusing and finding *any* type of plant is hard.
Step 5: Selling and Collecting

Okay, this step has been suggested many times already but I wanna go into more depth on why it should be done.
Many people have said this shouldn't be done because Potterworld should build an economy around the players and the distribution of wealth, rather than the spawning of it. I completely agree.
However, if Potterworld wants to reignite the desire to make professions items, but doesn't currently have the staff force to make any major changes, then this would be a great way to do it. This feature would simply involve selling potions to an NPC in return for gold (probably a lowish amount to continue to decrease inflation).
I do think if Potterworld has plans to update professions and incentivise them to be sold on the market, then they should eventually get rid of the selling to an NPC mechanic and allow the player-based economy to flourish in its place. Unfortunately, this would likely be a long way off.

If the staff team still isn't fond of this idea then another one would be collecting. Potentially there could be a GUI or book where every potion/food is categorised with its specific level. One you brew/cook all the professions items from that level, you can redeem some sort of prize (maybe gold, but even better: a collectable). The rewards would get better and better as you go up but eventually you would have the chance to have made ALL the professions items and get a MEGA prize such as an awesome wand, a broom appearance, a prefix, a super cool interactable collectable, or maybe a whole host of things (to be extra cruel, you could have this last reward require the trading in of all previous prizes - making it far more valuable).
This would be a kinda meh way of incentivising players to brew but it is far less effort than adding a new levelling system or completely revamping the whole of professions.
^
Alternatively, a system similar to Lacerum Incisis could be done with just one NPC that you can trade profession items in and it gives you points based on the difficulty of the potion. Eventually, once reaching a certain amount of points, you get a spell or a cosmetic (personally a PvP spell would be the most incentivising). There could be multiple tiers that you have to surpass to get to the grand prize, acting as a de facto levelling system. This would be my preferred way of doing things.
Yes, I had the same idea in my thread about simply selling potions to NPCs. At least it would make professions usefull for something, and it could boost economy for materials. Im not a huge fan of collecting the potions, as it seems like another "we will make you do this because you get a collectable in the end" which I think PW should really stop doing.
Step 6: Fun Potions!

Now, I realise that there is currently only 1 Engineer right now, but this step is more for the future. Staff should never be afraid to add new and fun potions to break the mold of the currently boring and repetitive ones. There were LOADS of different cool effects in pre-Revelius professions that made them actually fun to use - even in Duelling. They had tornadoes, wigs, blinding ones, ones that would put messages on people's screens - and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Potterworld shouldn't think that going back to these old potions and using the exact same effects makes them unoriginal or regressive; we all agree the old professions items were awesome and we'd love to see them make a return whenever possible! I'd certainly brew a potion that would send my friend flying in circles into the air!
Right now, potions and cooking items just feels so repetitive and all merge into one after a while. So it would be great to see some more experimental goods, even if only one is added each month because it would still be better than the current scenario.
Some of these potions could even have to be unlocked or discovered in different parts of the map or with quests etc.
I will make my own thread about this specific thing and going into more details because it something i wanted to talk about for the longest time. I will say that I would prefer HP type of potions and a twist on those, rather than having tornadoes and stuff like that.. Ik it might be fun, but thats not really what potions are meant to do. But they are still more exciting than whatever we have now.
Step 7: Focus on Professions!

Professions are a vital part of the game and making potions is a crucial aspect of any wizard's life. Professions could act as a great way to stimulate the economy with a greater distribution of goods and, in my opinion, it is the one thing that needs the most attention right now. There's so many options for the future and all it needs it a bit of creativity.
They arent vital right now, but they definitely could be. With the current lack of gameplay, profession rework could really do wonders and it is the most logical thing that they could focus on doing, gameplay wise.
I will add my recap, but I think that professions should definitely be something fun and challenging, something that you could profit of if youre good at it (which means there should be a demand = market for profession items, for example I made quite a big amount of gold just from selling felix since they added that to revenant), something that would actually be used, something that is logical and makes sense for the rest of the server (dont come for me, but the idea of cooking is kinda out of place imo, for a HP server. Theres so much potential for wizard professions, and still we chose cooking...). So yeah those are my main thoughts for professions right now.

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Serpent Werewolf
So I made a similar thread taking about this (https://potterworldmc.com/threads/potions.12236/) and the reply I got is "searching for a brewing station to create a potion adds to the process and challenge of making potions" which I disagree with as its not even something that people do, brewing is dead, and accessibility is one of the steps to fix that.
About organisation, my opinion is that the current potions and food should be scrapped. They have zero use and like you said, there so much of them while in reality theyre all pretty similar.

Even tho I agree that the numbers are pretty random and Im convinced theres wasnt much thought for them, I dont think its too much of a problem either. Yes, some materials are harder to get, but thats fine. It motivates the economy for those items etc. and is something that could work well if potions had a solid system.

Just like theres a overwhelming amount of food and potions, the same thing happens with plants. It makes zero sense that one plant should have 7 levels or whatever the number is. There should be common plants and rarer plants, but the current system just makes it very confusing and finding *any* type of plant is hard.

Yes, I had the same idea in my thread about simply selling potions to NPCs. At least it would make professions usefull for something, and it could boost economy for materials. Im not a huge fan of collecting the potions, as it seems like another "we will make you do this because you get a collectable in the end" which I think PW should really stop doing.

I will make my own thread about this specific thing and going into more details because it something i wanted to talk about for the longest time. I will say that I would prefer HP type of potions and a twist on those, rather than having tornadoes and stuff like that.. Ik it might be fun, but thats not really what potions are meant to do. But they are still more exciting than whatever we have now.

They arent vital right now, but they definitely could be. With the current lack of gameplay, profession rework could really do wonders and it is the most logical thing that they could focus on doing, gameplay wise.
I will add my recap, but I think that professions should definitely be something fun and challenging, something that you could profit of if youre good at it (which means there should be a demand = market for profession items, for example I made quite a big amount of gold just from selling felix since they added that to revenant), something that would actually be used, something that is logical and makes sense for the rest of the server (dont come for me, but the idea of cooking is kinda out of place imo, for a HP server. Theres so much potential for wizard professions, and still we chose cooking...). So yeah those are my main thoughts for professions right now.
Pretty much agree with everything said here.
The suggestions I listed above are simply some things that can be done to slightly improve professions right now but I do agree that restarting profession items completely might be the best option (and the removal of cooking is something we've also talked about before). Unfortunately with so little engineers, that seems impossible right now, but it could be very beneficial in the future.
Personally, I would love to see a mix between this current system and the two past systems, with the economic advantages of the earliest one (possibly combined with the rarity aspect of professions), the variety, incentives and progression benefits of the Exploration one, and the crafting mechanics and freedom of the current one.

cheddarsoup

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: cheddarsoup
Auralock Phoenix Serpent Werewolf
This would honestly reignite my interest in all of the aspects listed here. Over the last few days, all I’ve found myself doing on PW is the mini games, dueling halls, and occasionally a class. Implementing this suggestion would definitely make me explore the other aspects of the server that I feel are a bit lacking right now.

Ivan_

Professor
Unfortunately with so little engineers, that seems impossible right now, but it could be very beneficial in the future.
yea this is true, the tech team isnt doing great in terms of amount of people. That will effect everything on the server.
This would honestly reignite my interest in all of the aspects listed here. Over the last few days, all I’ve found myself doing on PW is the mini games, dueling halls, and occasionally a class. Implementing this suggestion would definitely make me explore the other aspects of the server that I feel are a bit lacking right now.
^^^^
With halls being more quiet than usual, the server really lacks gameplay currently. Sometimes you even struggle to start a single minigame. Professions would not just add new gameplay (and hopefully good quality gameplay), but it would also boost the server player wise and therefore we might see other things shine as well.

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Serpent Werewolf
I'd also like to mention that while the cooking textures are cool and all, some of the items come across as a bit flat and boring. I think 3D models or a bit more variety would work nice.

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Serpent Werewolf
Also here's a semi-accurate list of all mobs, mob drops, and nearby plants for anyone in need.

Wiggleworm (Level 1)
Wiggleworm Mucus
Wiggleworm Egg
Wiggleworm Skin
Asphodel - Level 1

Fairies (Level 3)
Fairy Ear
Fairy Brain
Fairy Dust
Wrinklefig - Level 1

Mandrakes (Level 4)
Mandrake Eye
Mandrake Sap
Mandrake Wood String
Gurgle Weed - Level 1
Lunaplum - Level 1
Wormwood - Level 1
Wrinklefig - Level 1
Nightshade - Level 1
Puffing Pod - Level 1

Murtletts (Level 5)
Murtlett Tentacle
Murtlett Meat
Murtlett Tail
Wormwood - Level 1

Sorrowseer (Level 6)
Sorrowseer Feather
Sorrowseer Heart
Sorrowseer Dung
Puffing Pod - Level 1

Carapiffles (Level 8)
Carapiffle Fang
Carapiffle Gills
Carapiffle Foot
Nightshade - Level 1
Gurgle Weed - Level 1

Undead (Level 9)
Undead Nail
Undead Bogie
Undead Bone
Wolfsbane - Level 1

Giant Dung Beetles (Level 10)
Dung Beetle Leg
Dung Beetle Blood
Dung Beetle Eye
Lunaplum - Level 10

Pixies (Level 12)
Pixie Ear
Pixie Dust
Pixie Brain
Wrinklefig - Level 10

Fluffle Puff (Level 14)
Fluffle Puff Tail
Fluffle Puff Meat
Fluffle Puff Fur
Wormwood - Level 10

Flame Crawlers (Level 15)
Flame Crawler Gills
Flame Crawler Pincer
Flame Crawler Foot
Gurgle Weed - Level 10

Ghouls (Level 17)
Ghoul Bone
Ghoul Bogie
Ghoul Nail
Wolfsbane - Level 10

Boomslangs (Level 18)
Boomslang Egg
Boomslang Venom
Boomslang Skin
Asphodel - Level 10

Thestries (Level 19)
Thestry Heart
Thestry Dung
Thestry Mane
Puffing Pod - Level 10

Arachtellas (Level 20)
Arachtella Eye
Arachtella Blood
Arachtella Silk
Lunaplum - Level 20

Poison Toads (Level 21)
Poison Toad Saliva
Poison Toad Skin
Poison Toad Egg
Asphodel - Level 20

Thunderhawks (Level 28)
Thunderhawk Feather
Thunderhawk Heart
Thunderhawk Dung
Puffing Pod - Level 20

Ogres (Level 28)
Ogre Bogie
Ogre Bone
Ogre Nail
Wolfsbane - Level 20

Explosively-Ended Newt (Level 30)
Explosively-Ended Newt Gills
Explosively-Ended Newt Foot
Explosively-Ended Newt Tooth
Gurgle Weed - Level 20

Gnomes (Level 33)
Gnome Brain
Gnome Remains
Gnome Ear
Wrinklefig - Level 30

Hobgoblins (Level 35)
Hobgoblin Bogie
Hobgoblin Bone
Hobgoblin Nail
Wolfsbane - Level 30

Fweepers (Level 36)
Fweeper Dung
Fweeper Heart
Fweeper Feather
Puffing Pods - Level 30

Pitlucks (Level 38)
Pitluck Blood
Pitluck Eye
Pitluck Hair
Lunaplum - Level 30

Sneelers (Level 39)
Sneeler Shell
Sneeler Slime
Sneeler Egg
Asphodel - Level 30

Lunarcalves (Level 40)
Lunarcalf Hide
Lunarcalf Meat
Lunarcalf Tail
Wormwood - Level 40

Demoxies (Level 43)
Demoxie Dust
Demoxie Ear
Demoxie Brain
Wrinklefig - Level 40

Occamers (Level 45)
Occamer Saliva
Occamer Skin
Occamer Egg
Asphodel - Level 40

Trolls (Level 47)
Troll Bogie
Troll Nail
Troll Bone
Wolfsbane - Level 40

Phoenixes (Level 48)
Phoenix Feather
Phoenix Dung
Phoenix Heart
Puffing Pod - Level 40

Kelpies (Level 49)
Kelpie Hoof
Kelpie Gills
Kelpie Tooth
Gurgle Weed - Level 40

Wamprus Cats (Level 53)
Wamprus Cat Fur
Wamprus Cat Meat
Wamprus Cat Tail
Wormwood - Level 50

Mermaids (Level 53)
Mermaid Tooth
Mermaid Gills
Mermaid Fins
Gurgle Weed - Level 50

Treants (Level 56)
Treant Sap
Treant Eye
Treant Wood String
Lunaplum - Level 50

Leprechauns (Level 57)
Leprechaun Remains
Leprechaun Brain
Leprechaun Ear
Wrinklefig - Level 50

Swooping Deaths (Level 56)
Swooping Death Spike
Swooping Death Dung
Swooping Death Heart
Puffing Pod - Level 56

Vampires (Level 59)
Vampire Bogie
Vampire Bone
Vampire Nail
Wolfsbane - Level 50
Horned Snakes (Level 63)

Horned Snake Skin
Horned Snake Egg
Horned Snake Venom
Wormwood - Level 50

Pogbins (Level 62)
Pogbin Brain
Pogbin Remains
Pogbin Ear

Centaurs (Level 65)
Centaur Blood
Centaur Eye
Centaur Hair
Lunaplum - Level 60

Boglogs (Level 66)
Boglog Fin
Boglog Tooth
Boglog Gills
Gurgle Weed - Level 60

Hippogriffs (Level 67)
Hippogriff Dung
Hippogriff Feather
Hippogriff Heart
Puffing Pod - Level 60

Werewolves (Level 68)
Werewolf Claw
Werewolf Bogie
Werewolf Bone
Wolfsbane - Level 60

Manticores (Level 69)
Manticore Hide
Manticore Sting
Manticore Meat
Wormwood - Level 60

Runespores (Level 74)
Runespore Skin
Runespore Egg
Runespore Venom
Asphodel - Level 70

Vexlings (Level 72)
Vexling Remains
Vexling Ear
Vexling Brain
Wrinklefig - Level 70

Kappas (Level 76)
Kappa Foot
Kappa Gills
Kappa Foot
Wolfsbane - Level 70
Gurgle Weed - Level 70

Dragons (Level 78)
Dragon Scale
Dragon Heart
Dragon Dung
Puffing Pod - Level 70

Nundooms (Level 79)
Nundoom Hide
Nundoom Meat
Nundoom Tail
Wormwood - Level 70

Dementares (Level 80)
Dementare Bogie
Dementare Nail
Dementare Bone

Kаilen

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: Kailen
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Honestly most people would be super happy if professions was brought back exactly how it was left. Even though it was basically an ios game and doesn't fit with the current vision of that server, I don't see why it shouldn't make a comeback until that vision comes to fruition.

Ivan_

Professor
Honestly most people would be super happy if professions was brought back exactly how it was left. Even though it was basically an ios game and doesn't fit with the current vision of that server, I don't see why it shouldn't make a comeback until that vision comes to fruition.
By this I assume youre speaking of exploration update professions? Those were equally dead compared to professions nowadays. They received bigger backlash when released than revelius ones and honestly, the only reason why most ppl did them is for the cosmetic rewards. So I wouldnt go back to those, even thought they would probably be somewhat used (but again, mostly for the rewards). The system (profession) I personally enjoyed the most was the OG potion system which was replaced with this one bc of "lag", meanwhile this system is even more laggier. Removal of rarities made it more player friendly, but this system isnt any less laggy. Everyone who has ping and has tried to brew this new legendary butterbeer knows what Im taking about.

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Serpent Werewolf
By this I assume youre speaking of exploration update professions? Those were equally dead compared to professions nowadays. They received bigger backlash when released than revelius ones and honestly, the only reason why most ppl did them is for the cosmetic rewards. So I wouldnt go back to those, even thought they would probably be somewhat used (but again, mostly for the rewards). The system (profession) I personally enjoyed the most was the OG potion system which was replaced with this one bc of "lag", meanwhile this system is even more laggier. Removal of rarities made it more player friendly, but this system isnt any less laggy. Everyone who has ping and has tried to brew this new legendary butterbeer knows what Im taking about.
Eh, I highly doubt it's an accurate analysis to say that Exploration professions were equally dead as the current ones. Just by looking in Exploration's chat you could see people asking and talking about professions constantly; that doesn't happen anymore.

Kаilen

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: Kailen
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I agree they were far from perfect however this was the best iteration of professions in my opinion. It may be nostalgia speaking but it was always a nice thing to see people gathering in the professions areas to discuss the most efficient way to reach level 30. They seem to get a lot of hate but I found them hella fun honestly ☹️

Ivan_

Professor
Eh, I highly doubt it's an accurate analysis to say that Exploration professions were equally dead as the current ones.
just before revelius? I dont remember that at all. And if that was true, wouldnt those people complain about them being removed?

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Serpent Werewolf
just before revelius? I dont remember that at all. And if that was true, wouldnt those people complain about them being removed?
Well, professions was mentioned in the Potterworld discord around 750 times between 2018 and 2020... and only 100 times from 2020 to today. If that's not evidence then I don't know what is

Ivan_

Professor
Well, professions was mentioned in the Potterworld discord around 750 times between 2018 and 2020... and only 100 times from 2020 to today. If that's not evidence then I don't know what is
Thats like comparing gear being mentioned in 2020 and gear after the change in 2021.. its not really comparable. What im trying to say is that professions (2018) received backlash, thats no secret. When revelius came out, I might be wrong, but professions werent discussed much, i dont remember people complaining about the old ones being removed or if the new ones were any better. It was just dead, both before and after revelius, which was just the final hit imo.

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Serpent Werewolf
Thats like comparing gear being mentioned in 2020 and gear after the change in 2021.. its not really comparable. What im trying to say is that professions (2018) received backlash, thats no secret. When revelius came out, I might be wrong, but professions werent discussed much, i dont remember people complaining about the old ones being removed or if the new ones were any better. It was just dead, both before and after revelius, which was just the final hit imo.
Because everyone was complaining about exploration and gear instead. It is completely ludicrous to say that people haven't complained about potions post-Revelius and as someone who did professions just before Revelius released, I can confidently that they were in no way 'dead'. They weren't perfect but definitely better than they are now.
Either way this conversation is fairly irrelevant to the suggestion so we probably shouldn't clog up the forums too much.

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Serpent Werewolf
PLEASE READ!!! - Fun Potions

Just to add on, here are just a few Herbology plants from pre-Revelius professions:
- Chocolate Cosmos (disables all nearby spells except healing)
- Petrifying Vines (vines freeze your enemy)
- Boa Vines (vines wrap around your enemy, constricting them)
- Aesir Bloom (no fall damage)
- Entropy Thorns (constantly teleports your enemy around)
- Death Blossom (makes someone hungry and poisonous)
- Lady's Mantle (healing AOE)
- Blood Restorative Herb (increases regeneration rate)
- Metamorphical Moss (turns people into a random animal)
- Cena Flowers (makes you invisible)
And some of the one's I personally remember but can't find in any chest are:
- Love Plant that causes a popup on the screens of those around you and love hearts
- Wig Plant that causes those around you to adopt a new wig temporarily
- Jump Scare Plant that causes nearby players to get blindness and a scream effect
- Tornado Plant that makes people whizz around in a tornado

Now, I would highly doubt I am mistaken when saying that ALL players would love to see these effects make a RETURN, maybe not with plants but instead with potions. They are all so fun and some of the best magic that Potterworld has ever had. If I could have a stack of plants that turns me into random animals or spawns vines to constrict people then I WOULD - and I think most people would agree.
If the code is still even remotely present for these features then please add them back!

The only arguement against this is that fun potions should only be in classes... uhh what? Says who and for what? Fun potions should be fun ALL the time, not just for 30 minutes a day for 2 seconds of particles. It's a completely flawed opposition to having better and more varied potions in the live world and I think most people would agree with me.
Thanks!

Last edited:

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Serpent Werewolf
I just wanna make another addition to this post to explain why the current damage potions will never work.
Currently the top damage potion does 4,000 of someone's health. 4000. That's the same damage as one Flamonstrum and the same damage as two other ordinary spells.
No one is spending 20 minutes to do the same damage they can do in 3 seconds. However, unfortunately, the only amount of damage that would make the current potions even remotely useful would be an insta-kill... and that obviously shouldn't happen.
It's clear that the current potions have not only no incentive, but no purpose... and it will take a completely new wave of potions with useful and fun effects that does more than just deal damage.
This is likely to still not do enough and that's why some kind of levelling or mastering system must be reimplemented.

Nives

Animorphus
Staff
Minecraft IGN: annivelation
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Vampire Werewolf Sr. Poltergeist
Hello, @MattyPoltergeist and others that shared their feedback on this thread!

Thank you for all the feedback you provided in this thread, we really appreciate it! We are currently looking at some potential changes to make to professions before we overhaul to subjects. We don't have many ideas set in stone currently, but moving forwards for both changes and the rework to subjects we'll definitely keep this insightful feedback in mind!

Thank you again and feel free to reach out if you have any questions about our decision! I hope you all have a magical day!