DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Change Quabbleball Scoring Rules (problems with defender cooldown)

MiraMoose

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: MiraMoose
Auralock Dark Follower Serpent
I'm bringing this up because I usually don't play defender but I've recently been trying it out. One thing I notice is that there is a really easy trick to make the defender completely unable to do anything. Passers bring the Quabble as close as possible to one of the hoops. As they approach the defender either shoots to defend the goal or they don't. If they don't block it they shoot the ball and score. If they do block it though, the passer exploits the cooldown and just flies to another hoop and scores. Either way, the defender can't do anything and the position becomes completely obsolete.

My suggestion: create a restriction on how close the passer can get to the goalposts. This wouldn't need to be more than 10 blocks. 5 blocks would probably do.

Reasons:
1. The first reason is listed above. The position of the defender should be at least useful in some way. With the current rules, anyone can completely remove its purpose as long as they know this very easy-to-master trick and it makes the game a little less fun.
2. I taught flying theory for quite a while so I'm familiar with most of the cannon rules. So when I noticed this I went back through my lesson plans and found this rule:
  • The passer can't put any part of their bodies through the goal hoops since the quabble is meant to be thrown.
Though I know this isn't exactly what I'm describing (I'm talking about going near the hoops, not in them) adding this restriction would actually be in-line with the rules from the books and movies.
3. There are still plenty of ways to throw off a defender. You can still trick them out by getting close, or flying high above the hoops, or wait until they shoot before scoring, you just wouldn't be able to make them completely unable to do anything.

I'm sure this isn't a high priority, but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Psycho
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
I've noticed whilst playing Defender, that this happens, especially when you successfully block a goal, but the ball ricochets back to the same passer who then flies to another goal to score. Defending isn't fun when that happens lol. The Defender's cooldown time to use their block skill could be lowered to address this issue, but I don't think that they'll ever do anything about the quabbleball ricocheting back to the Passer.

I think a way that the game devs can implement your suggestion is to give Passers a larger wall barrier that's similar to the box surrounding the Defenders. The Passer's wall barrier would stop where the Defender's line barrier starts. The Passers would still be able to travel beyond that barrier, but it would give them blindness and possibly warp them back to the middle of the pitch similar to how Defenders get warped back. Although, warping the Passers back might change the flow of the game if they're still holding the Quabble.

MiraMoose

New Magician
I've noticed whilst playing Defender, that this happens, especially when you successfully block a goal, but the ball ricochets back to the same passer who then flies to another goal to score. Defending isn't fun when that happens lol. The Defender's cooldown time to use their block skill could be lowered to address this issue, but I don't think that they'll ever do anything about the quabbleball ricocheting back to the Passer.

I think a way that the game devs can implement your suggestion is to give Passers a larger wall barrier that's similar to the box surrounding the Defenders. The Passer's wall barrier would stop where the Defender's line barrier starts. The Passers would still be able to travel beyond that barrier, but it would give them blindness and possibly warp them back to the middle of the pitch similar to how Defenders get warped back. Although, warping the Passers back might change the flow of the game if they're still holding the Quabble.
I totally agree. I think maybe the wall would have to be plainly visible but this could work

aaron ♡

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Aarooncia
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Vampire Werewolf
Adding on to this, I think adding some kind of barrier to the goal would make the game much more fair. I know people call me crazy but this is just one thing that truly bugs me- bruisers camping in front of the goals. While this isn’t against the rules I do feel that it brings an unfair advantage as bruisers are supposed to bruise, not stay in one place. If the ball interacts with any position it’s projectile will completely cancel out and it just falls, which is useful in some instances, but when bruisers camp the goals it’s almost impossible to get a good shot because not only can they knock you off the broom, they can intercept the ball. Basically what I’m adding to this is that bruisers’ access to the goalposts is a bit more restricted or it’s simply discouraged.

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Personally I think this would not really help defenders against good passers, as good passers usually shoot from far away, so it would just make newer passers feel more frustrated, as it is more difficult to score for them. Also a way to counter the passer's strategy is to use the defender stealing ability to steal the quabble from the passers. And, the cooldown for the shields is also able to be countered by flying towards another goal and blocking it just by placing yourself in front of it, doing that you can shield one goal, and fly between the other two goals to block them
Also, if this is implemented, I think it should apply to everyone except that team's defender, including their own team, as otherwise one person could stand in each goal and the passer could not approach and fly through them to score, making it literally impossible to score.
However, I do agree with the fact that the quabble is meant to be thrown, and not just carried into the goal, so I think this idea would make quabbleball more realistic

Last edited:

Scoobydoolego

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Scoobydoolego
Honeybadger
Personally I think this would not really help defenders against good passers, as good passers usually shoot from far away, so it would just make newer passers feel more frustrated, as it is more difficult to score for them.
I usually play defender, and I agree with Aurora that this would do little to help defenders against skilled passers. When someone scores against me, it is usually a result of me missing my shield on the goal, not them catching the quabble after it bounces off. However, I do agree with your point that the quabble is meant to be thrown, so your idea would be useful from a roleplay standpoint. I think that it would be more of a benefit to defenders if the ability to drop the quabble was removed because it makes defenders almost completely obselete, as they can't steal or block the ball.

MiraMoose

New Magician
Yeah, I agree with both of you, I'm not saying it's going to make the defender's job easier, and in fact, I hope it doesn't make it easy. I'm just saying that the current system makes it impossible. The reason I only said it for passers is that they're the only ones I notice doing this but maybe it should be for everyone. I think as Scoobydoolego said, it won't make it easier for a defender against a good passer which is good because we don't want to make the passer's job impossible either.

Also, I'm not talking about when it bounces off. I'm talking about flying right up next to the goal and waiting for the defender to fire their shot. If it bounces off, that's fine and rebounds are a totally valid way to score. I'm talking about getting right up close to the goal to force the defender to shoot so they can exploit the cooldown. Maybe I can get some film of what I'm talking about later and show it here. Until then, I hope this explanation helps.

Scoobydoolego

Graduate
Honeybadger
I think I understand what you are saying. I think that if, instead of using the shield, you just waited for them to shoot you would not have so much of a problem. If they never shot, your teammates would steal the ball.

MiraMoose

New Magician
I think I understand what you are saying. I think that if, instead of using the shield, you just waited for them to shoot you would not have so much of a problem. If they never shot, your teammates would steal the ball.
It's not that they don't shoot. If I don't shoot at the goal to block it then they're close enough to make the shot no matter what. If I do shoot they see that I've shot it and they fly off to another goal while my cool down stops me from blocking it.

If the problem was that they were hovering and not shooting I would just go take the ball myself but it's not. All of this is happening in a matter of seconds it's not like they're lingering, they're just getting so close to the goal that I have no choice but to block the goal.

Scoobydoolego

Graduate
Honeybadger
Perhaps you could just steal the ball if they are getting so close? Or you could block it right before they were about to shoot and then it would bounce off. Like you said before, it would be good if you could get a video of this happening.

MamaDuckie

Head of Media
Head Staff
Staff
Minecraft IGN: MamaDuckie
Staff Head Staff Raven
Hello and thank you for the suggestion! I'm going to bring this up with the Poltergeist team to see what they think and get back to you as soon as I can!

Jae ⊹₊ ⋆

Animorphus
Staff
Minecraft IGN: xMye
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Lore Master SPEW Lead Arena Master Lead
Hello @MiraMoose!

This suggestion has unfortunately been declined. This is initially something we wanted to do and actually tried out in testing. It ended up being far too restrictive for the passer - once you reached the area you couldn't score in, you had to turn all the way around again and go in for another shot and by that time you have lost the element of surprise. It was also too difficult to tell when the area you couldn't shoot in started, leading you to accidentally end up going over it and not being able to shoot/losing your momentum/having to circle back around. Generally, this made playing passer very difficult and frustrating. It made the defender's job easier, as they were able to see very clearly what the next move of the passer was going to be and where they would shoot, as it was from so far away. Therefore, we decided against releasing Quabbleball with this feature for the above reasons, we believe it would not be an enjoyable addition and would be better to balance the positions in other ways.

Regardless, thank you for making this suggestion. I hope you have a wonderful day:serpent: