DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

don't put low years against grads in dueling class

Status
Not open for further replies.

writerinthedark

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: writerinthedark
Dark Follower Serpent
Of course grads now understand it because we were there too. We were level 1s just like everyone else. We worked our way up through the year and level just like you.
There is no possible way for you to misunderstand us then. I fear your reading comprehension is failing you because you just completely proved the point of this class style being unfair. Your defense for it is that he had things to do after class and that it "rarely happens," but you're failing to recognize the carelessness this game mode has for the lower level students. I will say this time and time again until I can get you guys to understand what it is like to not be the "top dog" of dueling class. We are speaking on the "rare" occurrence that this style does happen, more importantly, that it should not. Regardless of whatever Cleck needed to do after class, the best interest of the students needs to be kept at heart. This is not about Cleck personally. You do not need to keep defending him and his workload. I get it, I'm an actual student too. Please remember we are talking about the game mode itself, not Cleck personally.

This didn’t turn into a “personal defense” for Cleck. I have read your suggestion, and I have told you that there is already a thing that is like there. There is a FFA Year style. :)
There is an FFA Year style for class and it should be used instead of this. That is the entire message behind this suggestion. That "Hunger Games" should not happen because it is unfair. Which you have all agreed to it being. We are giving you, a graduate, insight into the thoughts of us, fifth years + people lower who contacted us, during this class last night. You are completely ignoring our suggestion by talking about Cleck's personal agenda.

I will say this one more time: If you decide to comment on this suggestion, please put yourself in the shoes of the hunted, not the hunter.

Chriss

Dragonologist
Drooble's Order
Minecraft IGN: ChrissShock
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf SPEW Drooble's Order
There is no possible way for you to misunderstand us then. I fear your reading comprehension is failing you because you just completely proved the point of this class style being unfair. Your defense for it is that he had things to do after class and that it "rarely happens," but you're failing to recognize the carelessness this game mode has for the lower level students. I will say this time and time again until I can get you guys to understand what it is like to not be the "top dog" of dueling class. We are speaking on the "rare" occurrence that this style does happen, more importantly, that it should not. Regardless of whatever Cleck needed to do after class, the best interest of the students needs to be kept at heart. This is not about Cleck personally. You do not need to keep defending him and his workload. I get it, I'm an actual student too. Please remember we are talking about the game mode itself, not Cleck personally.

There is an FFA Year style for class and it should be used instead of this. That is the entire message behind this suggestion. That "Hunger Games" should not happen because it is unfair. Which you have all agreed to it being. We are giving you, a graduate, insight into the thoughts of us, fifth years + people lower who contacted us, during this class last night. You are completely ignoring our suggestion by talking about Cleck's personal agenda.

I will say this one more time: If you decide to comment on this suggestion, please put yourself in the shoes of the hunted, not the hunter.
That's honestly rude of your to say that because what if I actually had something that effected my read comprehension. I also didn't "prove" a point at all, maybe in your eyes though. The style isn't unfair at all, it's like the actual Hunger Games. I say this because some of those people that were in there didn't know what they were doing or how to do anything. They are like the first few years for Potterworld. I'm not the "Top dog" in a dueling class most grads aren't even good at dueling. This style isn't "careless" at all it's legit just like the movies. Ok, you saying that is saying that professors irl issues don't matter and that they should care about 80+ other people's lives over their own. Imagine if you were a Sr. Professor teaching 3+ classes every week, doing school work, other IRL issues, working, and anything else. Cleck made most of the dueling styles, and imagine if people just said it was bad and unneeded, you would feel a little hurt too. Also this style of dueling has been around for years and this is the first complaint about it.

cowgals

Magician
Minecraft IGN: lgbts
Serpent
That's honestly rude of your to say that because what if I actually had something that effected my read comprehension.
Are you insinuating that she’s being ableist? You insulted my ability to distinguish jokes from rude comments in chat when I genuinely do have a neurodivergence that makes it hard to understand tone, especially over text.

Quite honestly I’ve had enough of students’ gaslighting and the argumentative nature on this thread, so I’d like it if we could simply wait for staff/dueling professor insight please! :)

Last edited:

writerinthedark

New Magician
Dark Follower Serpent
That's honestly rude of your to say that because what if I actually had something that effected my read comprehension. I also didn't "prove" a point at all, maybe in your eyes though. The style isn't unfair at all, it's like the actual Hunger Games. I say this because some of those people that were in there didn't know what they were doing or how to do anything. They are like the first few years for Potterworld. I'm not the "Top dog" in a dueling class most grads aren't even good at dueling. This style isn't "careless" at all it's legit just like the movies. Ok, you saying that is saying that professors irl issues don't matter and that they should care about 80+ other people's lives over their own. Imagine if you were a Sr. Professor teaching 3+ classes every week, doing school work, other IRL issues, working, and anything else. Cleck made most of the dueling styles, and imagine if people just said it was bad and unneeded, you would feel a little hurt too. Also this style of dueling has been around for years and this is the first complaint about it.
That's the thing, though, the lower level students do know what is happening... the rules explain everything. I think you're forgetting that the whole point of dueling class is to potentially teach students how to duel.. or to sharpen their skills at dueling. It is not a hunger games roleplay. Any graduate can be considered a "top dog" in dueling class. You have more resources to win just by being at level 80. Like I said before, in theory, this class style could be fun. But it isn't. Coming from a lower year student myself. I did not have fun hiding in a tree for 30 minutes to receive 20 academic credits.

And for the record, I'm not a new player.

Like others have said, Kira and Lacey, Cleck doesn't teach this style that often.... the last time I did this style was before the update. I could be wrong on when the last one was taught though.
As for this being the only complaint about this style of dueling, take into consideration that this is probably the first time it has been taught post-revelius update (going off of what you said). Before gear + spell trees were added everyone had the same amount of health and spells did the same amount of damage. It's different now. The class should reflect that is all we are saying.

Chriss

Dragonologist
Drooble's Order
Are you insinuating that she’s being ableist? You insulted my ability to distinguish jokes from rude comments in chat when I genuinely do have a neurodivergence that makes it hard to understand tone, especially over text.

Quite honestly I’ve had enough of students’ gaslighting and the argumentative nature on this thread, so I’d like it if we could simply wait for staff/dueling professor insight please! :)
I'm not in the slightest, it's just best to not say something like that. I also never insulted you at all, to quote my words exactly, "Even if you say, "Get good" or, "Lol" they might've been talking to the players that stick around till the end of the class and joking around because they are all friends." All I did was provide another view on the situation. Although if you wanna think that you can if you want. ;)

That's the thing, though, the lower level students do know what is happening... the rules explain everything. I think you're forgetting that the whole point of dueling class is to potentially teach students how to duel.. or to sharpen their skills at dueling. It is not a hunger games roleplay. Any graduate can be considered a "top dog" in dueling class. You have more resources to win just by being at level 80. Like I said before, in theory, this class style could be fun. But it isn't. Coming from a lower year student myself. I did not have fun hiding in a tree for 30 minutes to receive 20 academic credits.

And for the record, I'm not a new player.

As for this being the only complaint about this style of dueling, take into consideration that this is probably the first time it has been taught post-revelius update (going off of what you said). Before gear + spell trees were added everyone had the same amount of health and spells did the same amount of damage. It's different now. The class should reflect that is all we are saying.
Dueling someone that is better than you is a great way to learn what to do and how to duel better because you are learning how to dodge other's attacks and learning what style of dueling you like the most. Of course its not a hunger games roleplay all I said is that its like the movies. Your "Top dog" comment can legit be used irl, imagine you were in a fight with someone that had been training for years and you haven't trained one day in your life. Of course the other person is going to win. You don't have to hide while in dueling class you and attack people and if you die you can always use that 10 AC for gold or XP. Also being a level 46 (Year 5) really isn't a low level, its over half way. Spell Trees have been around a while (I think), and I don't think everyone did the same amount of damage before the update.

writerinthedark

New Magician
Dark Follower Serpent
Dueling someone that is better than you is a great way to learn what to do and how to duel better because you are learning how to dodge other's attacks and learning what style of dueling you like the most.

I personally did not gain anything from dying to one hit of cascamorus. (other than frustration!)
In this situation, dueling is not even dependent on skill. It is dependent on level and gear. A graduate could miss me 100 times, and I could hit all of my shots. The one time they do hit me, I will immediately die. Even after multiple hits on them, they still survive. That is what makes it unfair.

Your "Top dog" comment can legit be used irl, imagine you were in a fight with someone that had been training for years and you haven't trained one day in your life. Of course the other person is going to win.

This is, once again, the problem. Dueling class is not supposed to be like that. Believing and practicing this is what leads to people not wanting to come to dueling as a whole. To be on an equal playing field, players need to have similar gear and similar spells. The lower leveled players are supposed to get interested in dueling through dueling class (where you are supposed to be able to duel other people at your level). So, in short, having this type of game mode in class is impressionable on the lower level player base.

My impressions are not the same as yours. You are a graduate. You are not at a disadvantage here.

You don't have to hide while in dueling class you and attack people and if you die you can always use that 10 AC for gold or XP. Also being a level 46 (Year 5) really isn't a low level, its over half way. Spell Trees have been around a while (I think), and I don't think everyone did the same amount of damage before the update.
Considering the graduate that killed me in the class had more than double my health and dealt twice my health in damage with one spell, I would consider being level 45 a low level. Not as low as some of the 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st years that were in the class too. We all had no chance.

Spell trees were previously "talents," and even then, it was not as extreme as it is now. I was referring to dueling before the talent trees too.

Salmandingo

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Salmandingo
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire VIP Werewolf SPEW
all of us got one shot when we encountered graduates simply because of the amount of damage they do and health that they have
Yeah as someone who hosts mainly Dueling classes I agree, this is exactly why I never did Hunger games and I probably will never do one. I usually stick to traditional year FFA. Year 1's go alone, 2's alone, etc....

As for professors that do use it, it's their choice but I would message the professor after class, and give them feedback if I were you. After all, our job is to host fun classes for you guys and if you have concerns we will try our best to cater to the demands!

You can also message Head of Academics Aria_rin or the Assistant to Head Zach with your feedback :)

Joshios

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Joshios
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
From a gear and spell tree perspective, it is true that health and damage can scale a lot which can make it almost impossible for lower years to kill graduates. This is one of the reasons that most dueling classses are FFA. I feel like it would be possible to alter Hunger Games to include all players, but in a different way so it's fair for everyone. I understand your pain especially as a lower year, and I definitely think classes should stick to dueling with people near your year / gear level.

nathan1e

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: nathan1e
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Even if they did, it's obviously be a joke.
Jokes can come off completely differently through chat then how they're intended; this is known as interpretation.
Quite frankly, I can see how people get annoyed or even insulted when they get one-shot and are simply told to "get good". It's not justified to say something like this is "obviously" a joke, especially not in the given context.

We worked our way up through the year and level just like you.
Nope, not necessarily. I became a graduate back in 2016 and obtained the last graduate spells early 2018. All of this happened before the wilderness update, back when levels didn't exist and yearing up was much easier then it is now. When revelius released, I could use my skills and knowledge of the server in order to quickly obtain better gear: it didn't nearly take as long as it would take someone that started out as a level 1 on the server.

Anyhow, onto the actual suggestion.
I should say that I do not go to classes anymore, let alone dueling classes (because they are not even close to the best way to earn gold on the server rn lol), but I do very much understand the pain of being killed quickly in dueling for the simple reason that I've sucked at it all my life.

How I understand it, the revelius update changed the dueling system so that dueling was mainly for level 80s, while the dueling classes helped lower levels "prepare", or to put it in other words, help players get better from the ground up. In that light, it seems only sensible to let players duel against players from their same year, or, as someone noted previously within this thread, against players from the same year layer (yr 1-3, 4-6, 7-8 or something if memory serves me correctly). Letting low level players duel against graduates will demotivate them and ensure that they will stay away from dueling, rather than draw them towards it, while I believe the latter is what the revelius update intended to achieve.

For those reasons, I fully agree with the notion of banning the "hunger games" dueling style from dueling classes completely. In my opinion, such a notion has nothing to do with the professor who hosts such a class. If they're not allowed to host such a class format, they won't (otherwise, why would they?) and thus the negative experiences for low level players as described in this thread are prevented. I therefore don't really think it does to discuss about the professor in the example, or any professor for that matter, since that's completely irrelevant to the actual notion in this suggestion.

After all, our job is to host fun classes for you guys and if you have concerns we will try our best to cater to the demands!
ily sal

Chriss

Dragonologist
Drooble's Order
Jokes can come off completely differently through chat then how they're intended; this is known as interpretation.
Quite frankly, I can see how people get annoyed or even insulted when they get one-shot and are simply told to "get good". It's not justified to say something like this is "obviously" a joke, especially not in the given context.

Nope, not necessarily. I became a graduate back in 2016 and obtained the last graduate spells early 2018. All of this happened before the wilderness update, back when levels didn't exist and yearing up was much easier then it is now. When revelius released, I could use my skills and knowledge of the server in order to quickly obtain better gear: it didn't nearly take as long as it would take someone that started out as a level 1 on the server.
It kinda is obvious, but ok. Even if you graduated before there was a leveling system, you still worked your way up.

Pankakes

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Pankakes_81
Griffin
If I had said “Hey, these mobs are impossible to kill at my level but I need to kill them for a quest. Can they be nerfed?” people wouldn’t immediately react with “That’s offensive to the person who designed the mobs! They worked hard to implement them!” would they?
Well, I have seen similar answers regarding travel and map changes after Revelius where the defense was just "but they spent so much time on it"

Of course grads now understand it because we were there too. We were level 1s just like everyone else. We worked our way up through the year and level just like you.
They don't. They simply don't. Too much has changed and graduates/high levels don't know the struggles new players go through.

I attended that class myself and I never saw anyone say that in chat. Even if they did, it's obviously be a joke.
and
Even if you say, "Get good" or, "Lol" they might've been talking to the players that stick around till the end of the class and joking around because they are all friends.
I don't think anyone here can speak on anybody else's behalf. You don't know WHAT the other person meant with a comment they said no matter how well you know them, especially when it's over text.

They would get in trouble for doing that, I can see where grads might do it, but during that class there was no mocking.
Let me quote somebody else as an "answer" to this
I understand that but we’re all human and life can be hectic at times.
There are two or three people talking about said class that were there and their answers to this differ, so we don't know what's true and what isn't.

The style isn't unfair at all, it's like the actual Hunger Games.
Are we talking about the movie/book version of HG or Minecraft HG. Because if I remember correctly, MC HG were "fair" to every single participant by having loot in chests at the beginning.

Ok, you saying that is saying that professors irl issues don't matter and that they should care about 80+ other people's lives over their own. Imagine if you were a Sr. Professor teaching 3+ classes every week, doing school work, other IRL issues, working, and anything else. Cleck made most of the dueling styles, and imagine if people just said it was bad and unneeded, you would feel a little hurt too.
This is a game for kids, IRL issues shouldn't be brought up here to random strangers on the internet. Also being a professor is voluntary, if you can't balance classes, school, work etc. maybe you should reevaluate what matters and what doesn't. This isn't a personal attack, this thread is talking about frustrations of players with a gamemode.

Chriss

Dragonologist
Drooble's Order
Well, I have seen similar answers regarding travel and map changes after Revelius where the defense was just "but they spent so much time on it" They don't. They simply don't. Too much has changed and graduates/high levels don't know the struggles new players go through. and I don't think anyone here can speak on anybody else's behalf. You don't know WHAT the other person meant with a comment they said no matter how well you know them, especially when it's over text. Let me quote somebody else as an "answer" to this There are two or three people talking about said class that were there and their answers to this differ, so we don't know what's true and what isn't. Are we talking about the movie/book version of HG or Minecraft HG. Because if I remember correctly, MC HG were "fair" to every single participant by having loot in chests at the beginning. This is a game for kids, IRL issues shouldn't be brought up here to random strangers on the internet. Also being a professor is voluntary, if you can't balance classes, school, work etc. maybe you should reevaluate what matters and what doesn't. This isn't a personal attack, this thread is talking about frustrations of players with a gamemode.
They spend 2+ years working on this update, and this update is to help promote exploration. Yes, grads do understand we worked our way up too. We also worked to were we are today with gear and spell points. I have used one of my friends accounts and joined a dueling class before and I was completely fine with being hit once and died, because I understand that it takes hard work and dedication to get to where the grads are now. Some people practice dueling everyday for hours so of course they are going to be better than others. I was saying that because why would you want to bring up a fake point. I can speak from experience when people say get good or lol they are joking around I've seen this multiple times. Kira is speaking from the view of if it did happen. I'm talking about the movies like I've said like twice. Yes, being staff is 100% voluntary, but just because a professor has to hurry up a class to do irl stuff doesn't mean they should resign. I understand that there can be frustration with this game mode, but someone can legit complain about anything tbh. Like if you want to be better at dueling you can level up with quests, AC, and voting. You can kill mobs to get better gear, everyone that has good gear today worked for it so yeah, they are going to be better than others. You can also duel with your friends on the side when you are waiting for a class or whatever. I know people that are lower than the level 46 and they understand that they aren't going to win.

AND SOME GOOD POINTS BEEN SAID, LUKA IS OUT AND WAS OUT-POINTED
Honestly, I don't care if you think Im "out" because I don't need validation from someone who just wants to try and tear people down. You got the wrong one ;)

It's honestly kinda dumb trying to debate when the other side doesn't want to see the other view of the topic.

Pankakes

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Pankakes_81
Griffin
They spend 2+ years working on this update, and this update is to help promote exploration.
I think time spent on something doesn't say anything if they were a bigger team, it'd take less time, if they were a smaller team, it'd take more time.

We also worked to were we are today with gear and spell points.
Did you start from scratch ? No extra gold, no map knowledge, nothing ? Because new players have, if you were on the server before Revelius then you probably haven't.

I was completely fine with being hit once and died, because I understand that it takes hard work and dedication to get to where the grads are now.
If you're okay with not playing the game and getting dominated then that's fine. But that doesn't mean others have to be okay with it too.

I can speak from experience when people say get good or lol they are joking around I've seen this multiple times.
At what year/level does one get the experience for this, because I have been on this planet for all my life and I still don't always know if the people are serious or joking in text form.

Yes, being staff is 100% voluntary, but just because a professor has to hurry up a class to do irl stuff doesn't mean they should resign.
But that doesn't mean X amount of people have to have a bad experience on the server. I don't see admins banning left and right when they have a bad day or dismissing a ban appeal because they have something else to do.

I understand that there can be frustration with this game mode, but someone can legit complain about anything tbh.
You're mixing complaining and criticizing, this thread is the latter one.

Like if you want to be better at dueling you can level up with quests, AC, and voting. You can kill mobs to get better gear
Translation: If you want to be better at dueling you have to do everything BUT dueling.
You don't get good at cycling by swimming, you get good at cycling by cycling.

You can also duel with your friends on the side when you are waiting for a class or whatever.
Unless you want to duel strangers/don't have friends on PW, then you either have to suck it up and get rekt or don't attend the class, right ?

I don't need validation from someone who just wants to try and tear people down. You got the wrong one ;)
Another time you're hiding yourself or someone else behind an emotion. Again, this isn't tearing people down this is discussing an unfair gamemode. Bringing said professor into this as a shield doesn't make sense.

writerinthedark

New Magician
Dark Follower Serpent
I know people that are lower than the level 46 and they understand that they aren't going to win.
I completely understand I'm never going to win in dueling class, especially when I'm against people 30+ levels ahead of me.

It's honestly kinda dumb trying to debate when the other side doesn't want to see the other view of the topic.
This isn't a debate! This is a suggestion. This thread becoming argumentative is all you, babe. You keep trying to mindlessly argue instead of trying to understand the lower perspective. I'm asking you to put yourself in our shoes (shoes you've never been in). We don't need the perspective of the graduates here, it is obvious there is an advantage (one that you yourself have made clear) in being a higher year.

Cate

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Cateo
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
Hey guys,

It's best to put this discussion to an end, it's becoming more of an argument over a discussion. To start from the beginning, I do agree 1st years shouldn't be dueling grads, it's not fair 100%, and I am quite sure this may get taken into account :) I'm personally a graduate, but I remember when I first joined Potterworld back in march (like right when covid hit), I really disliked classes like Hunger Games and all year FFA's. However, with the new addition of gear it was changed and now slowly being reintroduced.

So I do agree with your suggestion, and would love to see this implemented as it isn't fair for 1st years to be dueling higher levels.

cowgals

Magician
Minecraft IGN: lgbts
Serpent
Hey guys,

It's best to put this discussion to an end, it's becoming more of an argument over a discussion. To start from the beginning, I do agree 1st years shouldn't be dueling grads, it's not fair 100%, and I am quite sure this may get taken into account :) I'm personally a graduate, but I remember when I first joined Potterworld back in march (like right when covid hit), I really disliked classes like Hunger Games and all year FFA's. However, with the new addition of gear it was changed and now slowly being reintroduced.

So I do agree with your suggestion, and would love to see this implemented as it isn't fair for 1st years to be dueling higher levels.
Thanks for your response (and to the staff members who shared their agreement earlier on)! I 100% agree with you in terms of everything you covered. I'm not sure why this became so argumentative. I was just trying to share my experience and feedback/suggestion for a more universally positive class experience, I'm sorry for any unintentional escalation on my part!

Chriss

Dragonologist
Drooble's Order
I think time spent on something doesn't say anything if they
If you're okay with not playing the game and getting dominated then that's fine, no kink shaming here. But that doesn't mean others have to be okay with it too.
How is that- girl- how does that even connect... This is a game, sorry I don't care to be killed on an online game-

Mak

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: MakkChi
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Hey, guys, let's keep it civil, after all, this is just a game that we all play to socialize and have fun! I thought I'd give you my perspective on this suggestion as a professor, although some other staff members have said their piece before I had the chance. I understand the frustration with the Hunger Games style of dueling, and definitely agree with the points that have been made about how it's hard for lower years to enjoy class and to get better at dueling (because that's one of the points of dueling, of course!). I'd honestly like something to be done about this, especially because I've been working on leveling up my alt and attended a Hunger Games style class in which I was killed instantly. There is most certaintly a better way to go about year dueling on a wider scale. I was a bit frustrated, but I do also want to address the point that has been made a few times in regards to professors having lives outside of Potterworld. We definitely do, and sometimes it can be hard to teach a class with so many different wants and needs while balancing what we're doing IRL. However, that is what we signed up for, and that's our burden to bear. We're always open for feedback of any kind, and I definitely appreciate this forum post, because although it isn't about one of my classes specifically, it does contain feedback that I can take with me to classes in the future, so I thank all of the folks who provided their input on this. If you have any questions about anything pertaining to academics as a whole, you can pm me on discord at mckenzie #1354... I'd love to hear from you and listen to any other feedback you may have about academics! Aria and Zach would also be very open to hearing anything you have to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.