DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Event feedback

nathan1e

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: nathan1e
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I feel like I should speak up at this point, because I feel like what is happening is only spiralling downwards, to new depths I didn’t know were possible. I am going to speak here openly about my opinion on Potterworld’s 2 most recent events: the house pride weeks and the spring festival.

Before I start, I would like to point out that it is merely my opinion, though I have spoken to quite a few people about this who have roughly the same opinion. Feel free to disagree though, I’d love to hear why you think I’m painfully wrong.

In the past, I felt like events were a time period in which fun, temporary gameplay was added to the game. This could include a very hard challenge and often included interesting collectables including heads, banners and scarves. In recent years, an event has often also come with the release of a new 3D model, which would serve as one of the bigger rewards of the event. In particular, every player who would play at the event would have an equal opportunity to gain all of the events rewards; players who were not at the event, could buy event items from other players at a later time for a good amount of gold. My event scarf collection does not contain a lot of pre-2018 scarves I got personally; before 2018, I didn’t often buy scarves at events, but I was later able to buy those scarves off other people. To summarise, there are 3 (I’d say vital) components to an event that makes it a good PW event for me: fun temporary gameplay, perhaps an additional difficult challenge and equal opportunity to get all of the event items (or collectables).

It is at this point in time that I find myself playing through PW events that have strayed far off those 3 components. I’ll start by analysing the house pride weeks. This did not add any fun temporary gameplay or a difficult challenge at all. Instead, all it did was give us, the players, a decorated courtyard with reward NPCs and a house point contest; nothing more. Furthermore, nobody would be able to get all of the rewards without purchasing at least 3 resort tokens. For a moment there, it seemed like the intention of those weeks was to get as many players as possible to buy a bunch of resort tokens, rather than offer interesting new activities for players to commit to during those weeks. I found it rather worrying to see everything I enjoy about an event missing during those weeks.

Next up, there’s the ongoing spring festival. Although I didn’t have very high hopes for this event, I still expected to see some of the vital components to make this an enjoying event for me. To understand my disappointment, I will once again go through them.
I’ll start with the rewards. While it was somewhat of an improvement that the rewards were no longer used as a means to encourage players to buy store items, I still found that players do not have equal opportunities to get all of the rewards. Instead, those who wish to get all of the rewards are required to buy them off other players. And then there’s the final reward, which will mean that a third of the playerbase will be able to earn a lot of money over the backs of the other 66.67% of the players, simply because they were lucky enough to be put into the winning company.
And then there’s the gameplay itself, that this festival offers for the upcoming 3 weeks. While it is interesting to get a sort of sneak peek to what professions will be like after the Ravioli update (sorry, I couldn’t resist), I don’t consider this challenging or fun.
Don’t get me wrong, the new profession system looks promising and this festival has made me look forward to working with this new system after the update, but I don’t see it very fitting as an event activity. I would have preferred something totally different; a difficult challenge like earlier, even, or something similar as last year, where players were simply given 22 event riddles to solve. And even if that weren’t possible, I still would have liked this event to be more like the “fill the barrel” challenge during the butterbrew week of last year’s anniversary event, where players just had to make a certain amount of profession items and it didn’t matter what company you were in or how many profession items your company has made thus far.
Furthermore, I would like to comment on the egg hunt part of the event. As some might know about me, I usually tend to enjoy elements of gameplay that seem to encourage exploration. However, I feel like the egg hunt would have been much more effective when its reward was something new, instead of the egg basket experienced players (like myself) will already have obtained from last year’s event. A way this would’ve been possible, is simply by switching the egg basket for one of the company’s rewards (like, for instance, the candymaker’s scarf).

Right, so far I’ve looked at how I saw events of the past, and I’ve discussed the events of the present, so now it’s time to look at the events of the future. I should at this point comment that I fully realise that events are bound to be limited in this pre-Ravioli era, as almost every staff’s attention goes out to that update, but I still find it worth speaking up about seeing as previous “limited” events proved to still be able to give a sort of enjoyable bit of gameplay, while still not featuring a lot of new things.
So, let’s see what events will (probably) happen before the Ravioli update. The current spring festival is planned to end on May 2nd, which leaves only 2 months until the update. In those 2 months, there are 2 events I think are inevitable: the star wars event and the anniversary event. Last year saw a huge amount of feedback given on both those events. The star wars event seemed rather unbalanced, and seemed to only depend on a mere 2 minigames. The feedback given in those time was to look at the minigames and think of a good way to make them balanced, and to see if there was a way to add activities beyond those 2 minigames, to give players who suffered a huge amount of lag throughout the minigames also a chance to earn themselves some star tokens.
And while I personally may have experienced some of the anniversary’s challenges as interesting, many people found that they were simply too hard for an event. I must say that I was disappointed by the fact that the event was aimed to give only a small portion of players the grand reward, and so I hope that this year’s anniversary event will prove to be an improvement from what it was last year. I sincerely hope that it will do its best to actually celebrate 6 years of PW, rather than put players through the most difficult challenges of those 6 years.
In any case, I hope the events of PW will be seriously reconsidered before they are released into the server. But, well, hoping is everything I can do at this point.

Thank you for coming this far with me. If you have a strong opinion on the matter, please leave a comment as I’d love to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Doctor_Bond

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: Doctor_Bond
Auralock Phoenix Raven
I'd have to agree I think, as much as I appreciate that the Revelius update must require a lot of labour and hardwork, it doesn't mean the events have to be put to the side. I suppose it depends on how much focus must be placed on the events, as to the players, events are very important. I for one always try to attend every event as I enjoy collecting all the items. As mentioned above, previous events and the current ones have made rewards unobtainable for a large number of the player count, by providing hard challenges that focus on the server gaining longer player attendance, rather than an enjoyable experience. It means for those who can't attend for hours each day on the server because irl, or those who aren't part of the winning team/company, rewards and collectibles won't be available.
Also, it's nice revisiting the same decor and maps for previous events as the new new ones, it's a shame that there isn't a new courtyard design or plot for the event as there were in previous events. Even if it was small, seeing something different is always exciting for old players.
I do enjoy all the events, but the quality has decreased somewhat, and I hope that this is looked at and considered!

sophia

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Sophia_ZJZ
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I do agree with all of your points. And to add on to the thread, I have already completed all of the individual tasks, which consists of the egg hunt and the rewards on the top row at my company's spokesperson. I just simply have to wait for my company to reach each milestone of chocolate bunnies so I can retrieve the awards on the bottom row. To have already completed the event on the first day it was out, is disappointing to me personally. With how long the event is staying, there should have been more activities that were available to complete.

andreu

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: Andyreu
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent
Now, I'm not in any way qualified to give feedback of any such and I am not primarily working on events, however I do know that currently the relatively small Unspeakable team is multi-tasking between forming all of the gameplay for events and creating all of the core elements and gameplay of Revelius. I think your concerns are valid but I also think that after Revelius, the team will likely have more time that they could possibly dedicate into events as at the moment they are focused on creating wonderful gameplay for Revelius <3

Scoobydoolego

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Scoobydoolego
Honeybadger
I understand your concerns and I agree to some extent. I miss grand, exciting events like the Third Battle of Hogwarts or the 2017 Halloween Event. They were extremely fun and brought fun gameplay to the server for a limited amount of time. However, it seems like in recent years the focus has shifted from temporary events to permanent gameplay. Personally, I prefer this change. Though the old events brought some of my greatest memories, because of their nature, they weren't around for very long, and I could not enjoy them forever. From my observation, the release of the Exploration Update left most players asking for more, and questioning the server's decision to focus on permanent gameplay. However, I have high hopes that the Revelius Update will be more of a success than the Exploration Update.

I do agree with your disappointment with recent events. Most of the events in the past year were grind-fests where you found yourself doing the same task over and over to receive unexciting awards. I would like to see more exciting events, but I realize that the staff is trying to balance between temporary and permanent gameplay. Perhaps the updates could be coupled with pseudo-events, like the Quabbleball Release and the Revenant Dungeon Release. In the past, I have found those events very enjoyable and would like to see more of them in the future. However, this would not be easy with the current update schedule, because it seems like the development team is releasing a few large updates that revamp the entire server rather than small additions. Hopefully after the Revelius Update, they will focus on adding new gameplay rather than redoing old gameplay. Perhaps once every few months they could release a new quest, profession, dungeon, new levels, etc. and couple each of those releases with a small event, so that they could still focus their efforts on permanent gameplay while having interesting events.

Last edited:

Somnambulist

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Psycho
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
What I dislike about the current Spring Festival Event is this "exclusive reward" that's being offered to the company with the most choco bunnies created. It doesn't seem like players are given an equal opportunity to get this final reward when it comes down to it because even though players were "randomly" placed into a company, each company would have a different set of players that can either be active or inactive during the event. Along with other player variables such as players who produce more bunnies than another player or players that aren't really interested in the final reward and only prefer to cover what's only necessary for them.

I don't know what this "exclusive reward" is, but my guess is that it's a physical item that players can trade with each other. Considering the way that the Collectables market works on the server, there's a likely chance that a physical "exclusive reward" would net the players within the winning company a good amount of gold from players who were in the losing company seeking a way to acquire the "exclusive reward". This is assuming that the reward is a physical and tradeable item. If this is the case, then of course that would be unfair for the 2/3 of the players who have participated in the event.

If this "exclusive reward" ends up becoming a hat or wand.. then honestly, who came up with this "exclusive reward" idea in the first place? This leaves 2/3 of the players who participated in the event with nothing.

Suggestion
I know that I'm getting ahead with what this "exclusive reward" could be, but personally, I would have preferred it if the final reward was geared toward a more global contribution between all of the companies. For example, every company gets their own final tier reward at 12k bunny contributions. If all of the companies unlocked the last tier with a global contribution of 36k bunnies, then everyone would be able to get this extra final "exclusive reward" that's being offered. Well, in the end it wouldn't be as exclusive, but everyone who participated would still get something.

Ashh

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: AzureAsh
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Discord Moderator SPEW Game Designer Lead
Hello to everyone who has interacted with this thread, and apologies for the long wait! Thank you very much for bringing this feedback to us. We really appreciate your views on the matter.

The time frame in which this thread was originally posted was pre-Revelius. At this time, the Unspeakable team was responsible for both events and world quests. The staff team is made up of volunteers who have jobs, school and university, and creating content for 64 quests, as well as content for events, was admittedly a lot. In order to release the number of quests we did, the Unspeakable team had to put a lot of time and effort into doing so, as quest writing and building is a fairly long process. The team was also pretty small at this point, which didn't help. With that said, we completely understand frustrations with how you think that events had gotten worse, but unfortunately in order to release the content we did for Revelius, we had to focus more on that and not as much on events. Under the circumstances, we did our best with the time that we had.

Moving forward, we now have a team that is completely dedicated to creating events, which means that both events and world content can be focused on by a whole team without having to split their focus. This has already created far more efficiency and reliability. We are also releasing feedback forms after every event, which is then summarised and given to the various lead/head. This feedback is then looked through fully by the lead/head and they are able to gain valuable knowledge on how the previous event went, as well as what we can do differently next time. Due to the above, I am accepting this feedback, as we have taken it and begun to improve on the issue at hand. We encourage you to fill event feedback forms out and let us know of your thoughts on a particular event!