DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Gear Changes

Nik_Blazius

Magician
Minecraft IGN: Nik_Blazius
Honeybadger
EDIT: This comment was restructured: I moved some of my ideas to these threads: Learning spells, More natural spell levels. The ideas that have a clear connection to this thread stayed here. The text is the same, but I had to rewrite some sentences to fit the new context.

If I remember correctly, the given reasoning behind the increased health is because players that have played for a long time should be able to easily defeat players that have only just joined.
I think it could be compensated with more spell updates and with the ideas in these threads: Learning spells, More natural spell levels.

SOME gear would give health buffs, mainly very high level ones and the max could be somewhere from 30 to 50.
I absolutely agree that the max of extra health should be lower.

- SOME gear pieces would give special abilities (mainly focused on by the trinket), like quicker speed or higher jumps or being able to cast some spells (not offensive) on brooms.
- A hand piece would be more focused on offence than defence but would not allow 1 shots and would only give some spell trees maybe 1.5x more damage on certain spell types, stuff like that.
There could be gear pieces that are effective only against some mobs. This way it were important to collect gears and not throw them away because you don't know which mob you have to fight next.

I'd prefer to see gear as something cool and useful, but not an overarching feature. Each gear piece should be memorable, and have it's own appeal, instead of having literally hundreds of pieces to filter through.
Slytherins Locket makes people angry, Raven's Diadem makes people more intelligent, the Elder Wand makes people stronger
I like the idea of having less gears, collecting them and using the right one if needed. I'm not sure if we need 6 pieces of gear. There could be less, but reasonable ones. I think only hand and trinket are good, since the other parts are very confusing, a lot of player think that it's visual like robes.
Gear can also be slightly confusing (for me at least).
I think if higher up mobs were given more abilities (e.g. pull ability, ranged AOE, lingering effects), it would make sure that a low level couldn't kill them (especially seen as they wouldn't have the spells or spell points to do so).
Yes, it's a good idea, better defensive spells in higher levels could also help to differentiate.

I also believe that it shouldn't be called "Gear", far too medievally and the word itself doesn't have anything to do with magic

7. I couldn't categorise these after editing:
For me personally, it doesn't really matter if a gameplay element in PW doesn't have that much to do with Harry Potter, as long as the core of the server stays Harry Potter and I think that is still the case
I think the quests are not always connected to HP world, but it's good so. To have a HP feeling, I think it would be great if there were more quests to learn spells, instead of gears.
Personally, I despise gear. It has almost ruined potterworld in my opinion. I came to potterworld because of Harry Potter.
I feel that before the update the server was more like the Harry Potter world than it is now. Sometimes I feel that quests might be better on other servers, but these don't have this cool world I'd like to play in and this amazing community. I really like most of the updates because now I feel that I can do something on the server, but sometimes I feel that I shouldn't.

Last edited:

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Hello everyone,
Thank you for bringing forth your ideas and feedback as that is something we really value!
I will now discuss your feedback and ideas with the other Poltergeists and we will get back to you with a response.
Have a great day!

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Hello again everyone,

Thanks for the valuable feedback and suggestions brought up in this thread. We will certainly take everything mentioned here into consideration as we rework gear as we understand that players are frustrated with the gear system at the moment and are constantly working to improve this. However, for now this suggestion has been declined as they do not currently fit into our vision as to how gear will look in the future, but this could still change.
I hope this does not discourage any of you from leaving more feedback and suggestions on these forums.

Enjoy your days!