DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Make gold an actual item

Volt

Magician
Minecraft IGN: Volt4
Griffin Phoenix
This is probably a very controversial idea but I wanted to throw it out there and see what people thought.

Potterworld has transitioned into MMORPG style gameplay, and virtual currency does not make a ton of sense in that regard. I think having a physical item for gold is wayyy more flavorful.

You could have items that match the coins in the Harry Potter universe (and their exchange rates) or something like this:

1 gold nugget = 1g
1 gold bar = 64g
1 gold block = 4096g

This way people can keep all of their gold in their inventory (or echest) without it being too much of a pain.

I personally love the idea of having a physical currency instead of some generic /bal number.

This concept can also be extended to other forms of currency such as AC, Boo bucks (or other event currency) and voting tokens.

I would love to hear all of your opinions on this so please tell me!

nathan1e

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: nathan1e
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
There used to be physical currency in the form of gold, sickles and knuts (this was before lore stuff changed) but they actually converted to a digital currency because it was possible to duplicate these items using glitches.

So while I would agree that physical money would have its charm given the type of gameplay, I simply do not think this suggestion will be accepted given what has happened surrounding this topic in the past. But who knows, maybe we'll be positively surprised ;)

Volt

Magician
Griffin Phoenix
There used to be physical currency in the form of gold, sickles and knuts (this was before lore stuff changed) but they actually converted to a digital currency because it was possible to duplicate these items using glitches.
That makes sense, I suppose a lot of testing would have to be done. I've seen plenty of servers in the past pull things like this off without issue so I suppose it would be up to the devs.

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: luckiestblock
Honeybadger
Yeah, as he said they stopped doing physical currency because of worries about duping, but considering how there is an item (Thunderflash recipe) that is essentially a 2k voucher I don't see it as THAT much of an issue. I too would like to see it happen but not with gold nuggets, ingots, and blocks. I have all 3 of those items and gold blocks are currently being sold for 20g per block. They should probably pick something/make a unique item that are not currently obtainable.

Sunnya

Professor
Minecraft IGN: Sunnya
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire VIP Werewolf SPEW
Personally, I prefer having gold stay digital. The main reason is that it could take up a lot of inventory space. I wouldn't want to have to carry my gold everywhere not going to lie.

That aside, I'm not sure how possible it would even be for us to go back to having physical currency. Yes, it was removed due to dumping, but since then we've gotten a lot of new features that involve digital currency. This includes trading with players. Plus, you'd have to carry your gold on you or you wouldn't be able to buy items on the marketplace either (losing valuable inventory space for quests and other gameplay). There could also be many issues when it comes to receiving gold from completing /games. As you don't have your usual inventory on during those games we'd have to give gold after players return to the live world. Then what would happen to those who crash and are unable to get on the world? They wouldn't receive their gold.

While it is a cute idea (and one that wished would happen), I don't think it's really a good idea for us to revert back and it'd be incredibly difficult to do so.

Joshios

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Joshios
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I agree with Sunnya, but would also like to add on that if you do every quest in the game, you get more than 100,000 gold, and that would need a lot of space to carry around physically . I don't think this idea is practical for the server, and also, think about the issues it can cause. I love to know how much gold I have, but with this system, it wouldn't be easy for me to know. There are also a few other reasons on why I disagree, but they have been explained by some other people in thread.

Last edited:

Volt

Magician
Griffin Phoenix
The main reason is that it could take up a lot of inventory space
Not necessarily, with the method I described in my initial post, one could carry 262144 gold in a single inventory slot. Plus players generally keep a way to access their echest in their inventory, so their gold can be kept in there as well. Assuming there are three types of "coins" one would only really ever need three spots in either their inventory or echest. I think most players would be fine with this.

That aside, I'm not sure how possible it would even be for us to go back to having physical currency. Yes, it was removed due to dumping, but since then we've gotten a lot of new features that involve digital currency. This includes trading with players. Plus, you'd have to carry your gold on you or you wouldn't be able to buy items on the marketplace either (losing valuable inventory space for quests and other gameplay). There could also be many issues when it comes to receiving gold from completing /games. As you don't have your usual inventory on during those games we'd have to give gold after players return to the live world. Then what would happen to those who crash and are unable to get on the world? They wouldn't receive their gold.
These are valid concerns, here are some things I've thought of:

1. "you'd have to carry your gold on you or you wouldn't be able to buy items on the marketplace either"
I don't actually think this is a bad thing. When people go to buy something, they need to bring money. I think we've all just been spoiled with the virtual currency.

2. "Then what would happen to those who crash and are unable to get on the world"
This would be a more technical concern. A system where the server keeps track of how much gold a player is "owed", then the play can redeem the gold when he/she is ready seems like a fine solution. This process could be automatic as well. I would imagine that there are many other fallacies similar to this one that the devs will have to think of, but I imagine all can be solved :)

Volt

Magician
Griffin Phoenix
I love to know how much gold I have, but with this system, it wouldn't be easy for me to know.
I think this is the crux of the argument for keeping the virtual currency, "ease of use". I believe that gold management would definitely be more difficult than it is now, but I think that is okay. I believe that yes, some players will be annoyed because it takes slightly more work to manage their gold, but in the end, it feels way more rewarding than just seeing some number in chat.

Zocolat

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: Zocolat
Honeybadger
This is probably a very controversial idea but I wanted to throw it out there and see what people thought.

Potterworld has transitioned into MMORPG style gameplay, and virtual currency does not make a ton of sense in that regard. I think having a physical item for gold is wayyy more flavorful.

You could have items that match the coins in the Harry Potter universe (and their exchange rates) or something like this:
1 gold nugget = 1g
1 gold bar = 64g
1 gold block = 4096g

This way people can keep all of their gold in their inventory (or echest) without it being too much of a pain.

I personally love the idea of having a physical currency instead of some generic /bal number.

This concept can also be extended to other forms of currency such as AC, Boo bucks (or other event currency) and voting tokens.

It's a good idea, but it would also take up space in our inventory, Sometimes mine is full of stuff I've collected and my Ender chest is full. (I know you can also put it all in housing) BUt I find that doing /bal is more practical than actually having it in my inventory.

Volt

Magician
Griffin Phoenix
It's a good idea, but it would also take up space in our inventory, Sometimes mine is full of stuff I've collected and my Ender chest is full. (I know you can also put it all in housing)
As a mentioned above, you can store 262144 gold in a single inventory slot with my outlined method. I really don't think inventory space will be an issue.
BUt I find that doing /bal is more practical than actually having it in my inventory.
Take a look at my last reply (#9), Josh had the same concern. (y)

Somnambulist

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Psycho
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
Bringing physical currency back would be fun especially when you're able to throw them around all over the place, but apart from the inventory concerns - I know you mentioned how a gold block item would be worth more than a gold nugget to minimize space - I think that the number one concern would be duping.

If there was a way to stop the gold items from being duped by unscrupulous players then yeah, this would be an awesome thing to bring back.

Maybe a way to give each gold item a UUID? So if that item tries to get duped, it blocks the player from doing it, notifies staff, or removes the item and any other items with the same UUID. There's likely a simple way of doing what I mentioned or it has already been done, but there has to be a system where physical currency can't be duped by players on the server.

In the end, the current digital system is simple and easy to use, so my guess is that they won't bring back physical currency.

Aviforma

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Aviforma
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent SPEW
Aren't there backpacks coming out in a suggestion put on hold? Inventory space would become less of an issue iirc.

Volt

Magician
Griffin Phoenix
I know you mentioned how a gold block item would be worth more than a gold nugget to minimize space - I think that the number one concern would be duping.
Yeah, this is what I figured is probably why they would be concerned about duping. But there are systems in place (like the material crafting system) that work in a similar way the currency exchange would work that don't seem to be having issues, so idk.

Aviforma

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Aviforma
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent SPEW
Someone mentioned earlier that there's broom recipes which are essentially a two thousand gold voucher, so there's easier ways to dupe certainly.

Volt

Magician
Griffin Phoenix
Someone mentioned earlier that there's broom recipes which are essentially a two thousand gold voucher, so there's easier ways to dupe certainly.
I think the issue would arise when converting between one type of coin and another (like sickles -> knuts).

Joe_Magus

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Joe_Magus
Dark Follower Raven SPEW
I think a lot of points about the actual currency and how it works, duping and the benefits of staying virtual have been made. But I think one big point also is, This would be a lot of work now to implement, especially having to change practically every server shop on the map and all the GUI text. When the actual rewards of it don't really match the effort needed. It's like fixing something that isn't broken, and although it would be cool to implement, it just wouldn't be the right thing to work on - when staff are already busy with many other projects to add! :) Sorry, I do think the idea is cool, but I just can't see this happening :(

HektorTM

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: HektorTM
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Hi there Volt,
thank you so much for sharing your Idea!
I will bring up your suggestion to my fellow Poltergeists!
We will get back to you with our decision as soon as possible!

Have a wonderful day!

1 gold nugget = 1g
1 gold bar = 64g
1 gold block = 4096g

A so much good idea! I am very upset about that gold isn't an item. If it is, trading can be easier! Only one problem: Gold will fill the inventory too much. If it isn't an item you can transport millions of it ;)!