DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Minigames - Map selector

aaron ♡

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Aarooncia
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Vampire Werewolf
The title is pretty self explanatory; a lot of servers (mainly ones that dedicate themselves to minigames) have a feature called Map selection. Basically, you can vote for a given list of maps and based on the amount of votes per map, the winner will of course will be played. Now, this will only work for certain games as not all of the minigames have multiple maps. There is also the fact that we have quite a few maps for certain minigames, such as flying or melting floor, and would only be able to fit so many without it lagging. Basically, what I am suggesting is the ability for each player to cast a vote for what map they want for a minigame. Obviously, to avoid people picking the same one over and over (if, for example, they find it easier to win currency from) it would always be a random combination of map options and I think this would satisfy many. I know when the new flying and melting floor maps came out, having worked on one of them I really wanted to play it in action with others, however it took quite a few plays to get the map I wanted. Now this may seem like an easy way to grind gold or event tokens as I said above but once again, if this list was randomly generated this would not be a problem.

Scoobydoolego

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Scoobydoolego
Honeybadger
I believe there was a map selector at one point. I'm not sure why it was removed, but I think it was buggy. I remember constantly getting shoved through the hub straight to the minigame without getting to vote.

Kate

Animorphus
Staff
Minecraft IGN: TbhKate_
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf Discord Moderator SPEW Sr. Game Designer
I really like this idea! I believe the old map selector was a bit buggy and probably removed but think a vote system would be really cool for minigames!

Last edited:

YeetChris

Caretaker
Staff
Minecraft IGN: YeetChris
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Vampire Werewolf Class Helper SPEW
Howdy! Back in the day, I assume there was a map selector as I've got a foggy memory of selecting my favorite melting floor map. BUT I think this sounds like a fantastic idea, I'm not sure why it was removed sadly but if it can be re-added I bet this would be wonderful :)

Flippy

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: FLiiiPENDO
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix VIP
We removed it due to the same maps being played all the time. There were no bugs with it, we just wanted to see all our maps being played.

I remember constantly getting shoved through the hub straight to the minigame without getting to vote.
We did that intentionally to remove the time spent waiting in the lobby, but that presented its own issues so we increased the lobby time again.

aaron ♡

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Aarooncia
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Vampire Werewolf
We removed it due to the same maps being played all the time. There were no bugs with it, we just wanted to see all our maps being played.

We did that intentionally to remove the time spent waiting in the lobby, but that presented its own issues so we increased the lobby time again.
I definitely see your point and I believe I mentioned a fix; obviously we cannot control people playing the same maps over and over again but obviously we have more maps than we did, say, a year ago and possibly more to come :eyes: - would it be affective if the list of options to vote on was randomized? Or that it would be a different list of options each time (if, for example, there were only three options to choose from). I absolutely agree that it would be unfortunate if the same map was being played over and over again, as the build team works incredibly hard when making these maps, but even without the selector I have found that more often than not, the same three or four maps are being played within the span of an hour or two.

Ashh

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: AzureAsh
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Discord Moderator SPEW Game Designer Lead
Hiya!

Thanks for taking the time to make this suggestion. We will unfortunately be declining this suggestion. As Flip mentioned previously on this suggestion, this was removed due to the same maps being played all the time and they wanted to encourage players to play all of the maps. Being put straight into the minigame was added and then removed due to issues with the concept.