DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Mob Spawners

Sirje_Wildmoon

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: AstralFae
Dark Follower Serpent
Ok, Ok. I know this is likely something you may immediately think "heckity no" but hear me out.

Lets be really honest. Mob grinding can be frustrating when you're competing with other players for the opportunity to kill mobs in the surrounding area. Some people are nice about it and may move a little further away, however, just as many are the dreaded, monstrous, and wicked kill stealer.

I'm sure plenty of us have been there, battling mobs, when some randomer comes in and one-shots your opponent just as you were about to deliver the killing blow, thus collecting loot you should have been the one to earn. Then they have the audacity to lurk nearby, and do it again. And again. It's infuriating.

And especially now with the new reputation system and its tasks, many of us are grinding mobs once again, which means more often than not, there may just be too many people around to be able to get the materials you need.

This is why I suggest mob spawns for housing, or as a portable carriable item you can use anywhere outside that would spawn a number of mobs in your area.

Now, by absolutely no means should a mob spawner be made an easy thing to achieve. They should be set fairly high in price (maybe around 20k+, much like the final broom) and in order to spawn a creature, you must complete a sort of "codex" input, by collecting a stack each of material it drops in order to unlock it for spawning. So you'd still have to work for it, and contend with this frustration a little more, but for an absolutely wonderful reward that would be worth it in the long run

The "spawner" could work by right clicking it, setting which mob to spawn (when unlocked) and then ofc, spawning it. (if it were to be a portable item, left click would cause the mobs to spawn)

Also, as a last note I think it would be super cute if the "spawner" item would look like Newt Scamander's suitcase (though I know the portkey already kinda does so it may be confusing)

Thankyou for reading <3

Sirje_Wildmoon

Notable Magician
Dark Follower Serpent
This feels like a bandaid on an open fracture.

Does it help grinding ? Yes. Does it solve grinding ? Not at all, quite the opposite actually.

"Collect X times Y to progress"

You're right, but at the same time, I don't think this should be something gained too easily, if that makes sense. There should be challenge to get something like this.

Yes, there would be more frustrating grinding, but not for all that long compared to continues grinding for quests etc. 20k gold may seem like a lot, but if you're an active player, it doesn't take all that long to earn through quests and selling excess gear and stuff. Once you can grind on your own with your own spawner, it would also be easier to re-acquire said gold from the drops.

The suggestion I make is just an idea of how it could work and its pricing, if it were to become a thing, it would be up to PW staff to decide on how it would work.

Maybe just discovering the creature could be enough. Much like our current location discoveries, we could have creature discovery upon our first kill of a specific mob. (as some mobs are of course more difficult to kill than others, that way it's also easier to keep in line with how people level naturally, as you couldn't just buy the materials to input into the spawner. Thinking of it now, that does sound like a better idea)

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
Ok, Ok. I know this is likely something you may immediately think "heckity no" but hear me out.

Lets be really honest. Mob grinding can be frustrating when you're competing with other players for the opportunity to kill mobs in the surrounding area. Some people are nice about it and may move a little further away, however, just as many are the dreaded, monstrous, and wicked kill stealer.

I'm sure plenty of us have been there, battling mobs, when some randomer comes in and one-shots your opponent just as you were about to deliver the killing blow, thus collecting loot you should have been the one to earn. Then they have the audacity to lurk nearby, and do it again. And again. It's infuriating.

And especially now with the new reputation system and its tasks, many of us are grinding mobs once again, which means more often than not, there may just be too many people around to be able to get the materials you need.

This is why I suggest mob spawns for housing, or as a portable carriable item you can use anywhere outside that would spawn a number of mobs in your area.

Now, by absolutely no means should a mob spawner be made an easy thing to achieve. They should be set fairly high in price (maybe around 20k+, much like the final broom) and in order to spawn a creature, you must complete a sort of "codex" input, by collecting a stack each of material it drops in order to unlock it for spawning. So you'd still have to work for it, and contend with this frustration a little more, but for an absolutely wonderful reward that would be worth it in the long run

The "spawner" could work by right clicking it, setting which mob to spawn (when unlocked) and then ofc, spawning it. (if it were to be a portable item, left click would cause the mobs to spawn)

Also, as a last note I think it would be super cute if the "spawner" item would look like Newt Scamander's suitcase (though I know the portkey already kinda does so it may be confusing)

Thankyou for reading <3
Hmmmmmmmmm. I don't know how often this happens with the current system. With the right gear, mobs are actually super easy to kill, 1-3 shots and the mob is dead. Besides that, mobs are rarely farmed those days. Not sure if reputations had great impact on that, but i know for a fact that the grad mobs are rarely fought. There's also (not always) several worlds which you can join to avoid this issue. I do think that with our current and huge map, mobs could spawn in different locations, in fact that would make more sense - plus it could fill up mostly useless land and players would have options where to find a specific mob.

Sirje_Wildmoon

Notable Magician
Dark Follower Serpent
I do think that with our current and huge map, mobs could spawn in different locations, in fact that would make more sense - plus it could fill up mostly useless land and players would have options where to find a specific mob.
This would work too. It would be interesting to see somewhat of a map refresh this way, as there is a lot of empty space currently (example, between Hogsend and around Riddleyard, there really isn't anything much at all)

Even if it's small things ofc like maybe some old ruins with some mobs spawning, or a little farm etc. These places could even have extra added hidden chests, more incentive for exploring then, too. ;)

Mob spawn rates could also be increased a little for some mobs too. Another problem is in some places. For example, the niffly's in the bank, they seem to be spawning inside of blocks, like they're spawning in empty "cavity" spaces in the area rather than where they can actually be reached. Meaning that they'll be on the other side of a block that you simply cannot get to to be able to kill it. Though this could be as simple as checking over areas like this for empty spaces in builds like that, and filling spaces in. (though spawn rate can still be slow in my experience, yet other mobs, spawn rates seem to be faster)

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
This would work too. It would be interesting to see somewhat of a map refresh this way, as there is a lot of empty space currently (example, between Hogsend and around Riddleyard, there really isn't anything much at all)

Even if it's small things ofc like maybe some old ruins with some mobs spawning, or a little farm etc. These places could even have extra added hidden chests, more incentive for exploring then, too. ;)

Mob spawn rates could also be increased a little for some mobs too. Another problem is in some places. For example, the niffly's in the bank, they seem to be spawning inside of blocks, like they're spawning in empty "cavity" spaces in the area rather than where they can actually be reached. Meaning that they'll be on the other side of a block that you simply cannot get to to be able to kill it. Though this could be as simple as checking over areas like this for empty spaces in builds like that, and filling spaces in. (though spawn rate can still be slow in my experience, yet other mobs, spawn rates seem to be faster)
omg yes the spawn rates and places are horrible. In azkaban, only 4 demetors spawn max. And once you kill those, the new ones spawn so slow. And theres a lot of underground or inside trees holes where mobs can spawn and lower the spawn rates for other mobs.

Pankakes

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Pankakes_81
Griffin
"It would be interesting to see somewhat of a map refresh this way, as there is a lot of empty space currently (example, between Hogsend and around Riddleyard, there really isn't anything much at all)

I've talked about this in one of my posts, however so far we've only gotten more housing sceneries, minigame maps and events held in separate worlds from the main one.

Nives

Animorphus
Staff
Minecraft IGN: annivelation
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Staff Sr. Poltergeist
Heya @Sirje_Wildmoon and everyone that contributed to this thread!

Thank you for this suggestion! The idea of having portable mob spawners in game is definitely intriguing, but it's also something that would change the game a lot and needs to be discussed first. Therefore, I will bring up this suggestion to the rest of the Poltergeists so we can discuss it and share our opinions on this. Once we receive a decision, I will come back to let you know, so I suggest keeping an eye on this thread!

Thank you everyone for your inputs and I hope you all have a lovely day!

Nives

Animorphus
Staff
Minecraft IGN: annivelation
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Staff Sr. Poltergeist
Hello again, @Sirje_Wildmoon !

Unfortunately, this suggestion has been declined, as this is not something we want to implement. Instead, we will be looking at current mob locations that have unfairly low spawn rates and improve these.

Regardless, thank you for the suggestion and I hope you have a spectacular day!

nbar1085

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: natiewuv
Would love to see this idea as an update/expansion. With the world spaces already developed for player homes. It would be interesting to have a catch/domesticate magical creatures for their potential drops. much like farming and breeding livestock in regular Minecraft.