DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Money bags in chests & Gold Banking

Sirje_Wildmoon

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: AstralFae
Dark Follower Serpent
Yesterday, I commented on another suggestion that mentioned chests once again giving money, I agreed with that suggestion, as it does seem harder to acquire money, especially as a beginner.

This is what I previously said, freshly copy and pasted from the other thread:

"
The inflation is just, imo, way too freaking much compared with how much gold you get back from doing things, we keep getting told "later quests give tons of money"

and what happens after you've done all the quests anyway? Iirc, apparantly you get 70k in total from all quests combined?

That's actually not a lot when you consider, for example, the top tier broom, which costs 48k to make, and you've also got to make every single broom in order to upgrade it. It's insane, really. And then of course, there's all your gear... including the expensive gear you'll need in order to complete these quests successfully and without dying so much.

I'm definitely on board with chests giving gold, they'll definitely make actually searching all these new ones down much more worthwhile, and the economy won't suffer that badly. "

However, I've been mulling over that, and came up with another suggestion (or rather, two) so, hear me out:

Revelius is of course, meant to be a bit more challenging, correct? But as it stands, its hard for some of us, maybe we're just not good at combat, or quests, etc. So maybe there should be alternate ways to earn gold.

But at the same time, every chest giving away money might be a bit too easy, right?

How about if we had an item we could find in chests, that would then give us money? This item would be a "Bag Of Gold" and could simply be a retexture of the old loot bag item from way back.

Different tiers of chests would give different randomized but tiered amounts of gold.

For example: Tier 1 would give 20-50 gold, Tier 2 would give 50-125 gold, and so on.

(I'll be honest, idk how many tiers of chests there are, I think there's 3, correct? xP)

These bags of gold could be on the slightly rarer end of the spectrum when it comes to finding them, maybe at the same rarity as gear recipes. I feel like this would encourage people to search out more chests, and therefore the focus on exploration would not be lost.

When finding a Bag Of Gold you would click it, the same as you would a gear recipe, upon which a message in your chat box would appear that would look something like this :

"What a lucky find! 50 Gold has been added to your account!"

The second idea is that you would be able to deposit money into a Gringotts "vault" these vaults would work differently than the storage vaults.

The idea is that you would gain interest on this deposited money per hour you are online.

You would need 1000 gold to open an account, to do so, you would speak with a goblin NPC at the front desk at the bank.

Once you have opened your account, your interest rates would be different and grow slightly depending on your level/year.

Maybe a 3% interest rate (so for 1k gold that would be 30 gold an hour) for first years up to maybe 20 (200 gold an hour) for graduates.

Also, you would only be able to have a set amount before your gold vault is "full" this too could grow as you level and graduate through the years.

Eg: Year 1: maximum of 2000 gold, year 2: 2500, year 3: 3500, year 4: 4000, year 5: 5000, year 6: 6000, year 7: 8000 and graduates: 10000

This means players will have more incentive to work to level themselves up, so there is still aspect of their being challenge there.

Even up to a maximum 10k gold in a vault.. well, in the grand scheme of things, is not a huge amount considering a broom can cast 48k (I was thinking 15 or even 20k but that seemed a bit excessive) but it is definitely a helpful amount, plus we'll have to be working towards an amount like that anyway. Even at 200 gold an hour from 1k, it would take nearly 2 full days of literal non stop play in order to achieve the 10k maximum.

However, I think if this whole gold vault thing were to be implemented at all, there would need to be a maximum time for afk/inactivity before you are auto kicked (like in many other servers) otherwise its possible people may just leave their computers online all day and "cheat" this system, or if not auto kicked the "counter" for your ontime would pause? No idea if that could even be possible, though. I'm not the codey genius here. xD

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Heya Sirje!
Thank you for taking the time to make a suggestion. This is something we truly appreciate!
I will now discuss your ideas with the rest of the Poltergeist Team. Hopefully we can get back to you soon with a response.
In the meantime, have a wonderful day!

Nyn

Professor
Minecraft IGN: xNyn
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I really like both of your ideas!

I look through chests every now and then for fire dust. I sometimes pick up other stuff but I just chuck it into my vault along with the rest of my rubbish from chests that I have no use for. I would love for the "Bag of Gold" item inside chests to be a thing, as it would make me want to go and find chests more often.

With your second idea, I think it's great, too! I personally think you should still get interest if you're offline, as there is a limit anyway, so I don't see how there is a big issue - or you could still gain interest whilst offline, but it is slightly less than when you are online.

Catt_damon

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: Catt_Damon
Serpent
I love both of these ideas! They strike a perfect balance imo for still encouraging exploration but not being overpowered. I personally would spend more time on the server if these things were implemented.

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: luckiestblock
Honeybadger
At least in my opinion there needs to be more methods of collecting gold or some kind of buff to the existing gold collecting methods. Currently the fastest to my knowledge is killing lvl 71-80 mobs with high lvl gear and selling them to the vendor (which if you kill a mob every 6 seconds with an average of 2.5 drops per would result in 1.2k per hour). I think it should mentioned that while 1.2k/hr is lucrative, it is really only available to high lvl players who can craft the gear which the removal of gold in chests was designed to fix so I don't see any reason not to just add them back. 1.2k/hr also pales in comparison to the absolute opulence that quests provide. To me they either need to strike down the reward of quests and the prices of gear, brooms, and firedust or embrace the new lower value of gold and add/buff methods of gold collecting other then quests, this strange middle ground is really frustrating for most players including myself. Imagine spending all the gold quests provide and then working your way to get a thunderflash. That would result in 16 hours and 40 minutes of straight grinding using the best gear in the best known method of gold collecting for just the flat fee alone. That is just straight up not fun which is why I suggest a change. :)

As for the interest system, I am more against. Having interest accumulate would result in waves of alts,imagine it, someone with 5 alts that each generate thousands of gold in that person's sleep. Other then the exploitative nature of it, it does sound really cool, I am just unsure how it could work in the real server

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Hello again @Sirje_Wildmoon,

Thank you for bringing up your ideas to us. We really appreciate it!
Unfortunately, we will be declining your suggestions for the following reasons. We do not see the need to add money bags, as gold has been added to hidden chests as per this announcement and money bags would ultimately not change much and just cost effort to implement.
We also do not like the idea of your banking/interest system because we dislike the idea of gaining "free" gold, especially since it can easily be cheated through the usage of alts. We also do not think this would solve the inherent issue of getting gold, as it would help the players with a lot of gold get more gold, while not giving the players with less gold much more.
We hope this is understandable and does not discourage you from sharing more of your ideas in the future!

Thanks again and have a wonderful day <3