DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Potter Points and Mob Farming

LordOfTheRiot

Magician
Minecraft IGN: LordOfTheRiot
Dark Follower Griffin
Good morning Potterworld!

What does this suggestion mean?

Basically, I have thought about this for a while now, but I think it would be great if we can receive Potter Points from fighting and killing mobs. This would increase the need to kill them, while at the same time we don't buy everything from the store in 5 days.

How would this be done?

When you kill a mob, there is a very rare chance that a piece of paper drops, similar to gear and broom recipes. It would hold a random amount of Potter Points (from 1 to 5 or however much the team decides is enough), and when you right-click while holding the paper, it would add these points to your balance.

What is the benefit of this?

This will add more things to do on the server, and allow those with neither gold nor resources to buy things off of the store also be able to get something.

This will not allow you to farm hundreds of points in a day; the drop needs to hold a maximum of 5 or 10 points and be rarer than broom recipes. It may also be set so that only a certain level of mobs and above can drop these papers to minimize the chance even more.

At the end of the day, after days spent on farming, you can finally stop and buy something to reward you for your time well spent.

Thank you for reading! No matter if the departments think of this as a good idea or not, I thank you for reviewing it. I did not check if anybody has suggested something of this sort before, so if it is a duplicate I apologize.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Psycho
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
I can see this being similar to how there used to be the extra reward, pre-Revelius, for clearing an entire daily activity board, I forget what it's called, but it gave players tons of gold and XP.

I like the idea of gaining Potterpoints through killing mobs, but I'm unsure about using paper drops for the points. I think it would be safer if it counted how many mobs you killed and then made the player claim the reward in the Daily Activities - similar to how it was done before - but give Potterpoints as the reward.

As far as the requirements go, I would expect a high requirement of mobs killed for a low amount of Potterpoints as a reward. Thinking of 500 mobs just to get 5 Potterpoints lol. It could be scaled depending on the level of the player, or just require the player to kill the mobs within their level.

LordOfTheRiot

Magician
Dark Follower Griffin
I can see this being similar to how there used to be the extra reward, pre-Revelius, for clearing an entire daily activity board, I forget what it's called, but it gave players tons of gold and XP.

I like the idea of gaining Potterpoints through killing mobs, but I'm unsure about using paper drops for the points. I think it would be safer if it counted how many mobs you killed and then made the player claim the reward in the Daily Activities - similar to how it was done before - but give Potterpoints as the reward.

As far as the requirements go, I would expect a high requirement of mobs killed for a low amount of Potterpoints as a reward. Thinking of 500 mobs just to get 5 Potterpoints lol. It could be scaled depending on the level of the player, or just require the player to kill the mobs within their level.
I agree with what you are saying. Now that I think about it, having this as a daily activity could be beneficial. There could be another tab on the Daily Activities where the reward is only Potter Points. In the future, there could be more activities with this reward, but I like the idea of Potter Points being integrated into daily activities.

Joshios

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Joshios
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
As much as this would be cool to see, I don't think they would implement a feature to earn Potterpoints like this. Right now, they are mainly used for staff/team members, as well as tournament rewards. On a side note, you can always use the gold you earn to do store trades with people!

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: luckiestblock
Honeybadger
I guess I overlooked that one, opps. I remember there was a suggestion about adding potter points as part of the daily reward and it being declined but after looking through all 21 pages of declined threads I can not find it. Maybe my memory is failing me? (That's probably the most likely but it might have a strange name too idk, I didn't click all of them obviously)

aaron ♡

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Aarooncia
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Vampire Werewolf
I’m going to have to disagree with this. Potterpoints are a special gift given to hard working staff/team members and tournament winners. They should not be easily obtainable and simply killing mobs would make them rewarded from a pretty unchallenging task. Potterpoints have a pretty low currency to $1.00 rate. Store items can be as low as a few dollars and nobody would pay with real money on the store. Store items also aren't dependent for your gameplay and it’s simply cosmetic. Personally I would feel a little unvalued/my work was unappreciated. The work I did and spent hours of my time contributing to Revelius and other gameplay not only gave me an opportunity to give back to the community, but I also got to enjoy it myself. In no way would I describe my incentive to what I did solely for Potterpoints, however when given them I felt very satisfied. I just don't think that any old player should be able to get Potterpoints in something that most players do every day.

Last edited:

nathan1e

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: nathan1e
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I personally don't think this idea would be beneficial if this is also already happening. Sorry for linking it twice, but last time I wasn't sure what to think about this suggestion just yet. However, right now, I think that if there will already be a way to earn PP for everyone (slowly, through voting) I don't think it's beneficial to add yet another way of slowly earning PP for everyone, as that might make it too easy to earn PP, resulting in store purchases potentially going down and I think we can all agree on that not being very beneficial for the server.

With that being said, I'd like to directly respond to Aaron's message because I think a few things were said that don't exactly make sense.

Potterpoints are a special gift given to hard working staff/team members and tournament winners.
That is indeed the case as of now, however, as can be read in the accepted suggestion I linked twice so far, the intention of the PW staff team is to make it easier for players to earn PP. That means that the intention of PP is shifting from "special gift to team members and tournament/contest winners" to "special gift to team members and tournament/contest winners AND players who've voted for a good number of days".
By saying this, I don't intend to disagree (yet) with what you're saying, I'm simply disputing your claim of what PP is, because by all means, the staff team has already expressed their intention of shifting what they want to do with PP, and how easy they want to make it to earn PP.

I just don't think that any old player should be able to get Potterpoints in something that most players do every day.
And in that light, it doesn't make sense to state something like this, as that is already what PP are planned to become as stated in the link above.

Personally I would feel a little unvalued/my work was unappreciated.
I understand your point that you find it somewhat insulting to your work and efforts that PP will become easier to obtain. However, I don't think this would imply that your work would be unappreciated. As far as I understand it (and correct me if I'm wrong), you worked as a builder on PW which would imply (I hope) that you built stuff for the server. (Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure that's how builders work...)
I think it's only fair to say that every single build on the server gets appreciated by the playerbase. The builds are part of what makes PW as magical as it is. I could go on and on about it, but since I don't want to start sounding like 1psaonly, I'll just stop here and say that, even if this suggestion was accepted, even in the most extreme case that PP was the easiest currency to obtain, there will always be at least someone that appreciates the work you've done for this server.

Furthermore, I would like to encourage you to work towards caring less about what others think about your work. I know this is an oversimplification of a process that takes a lot of time and effort, but please trust me when I say that it will eventually be for the better. I understand and know full well how it is very easy to get satisfaction out of the appreciation of others, but there will inevitably be moments in your life when you have worked incredibly hard on something that nobody appreciates. On that moment, it is imperative that you get satisfaction out of your own feeling of pride.

But yeah, the point still stands: I don't think it's meaningful to talk about the decision to make PP easier to obtain, when such a decision has already been made.

aaron ♡

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Aarooncia
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Vampire Werewolf
insulting to your work and efforts that PP will become easier to obtain. However, I don't think this would imply that your work would be unappreciated. As far as I understand it (and correct me if I'm wrong), you worked as a builder on PW which would imply (I hope) that you built stuff for the server. (Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure that's how builders work...)
I've only just realized how my opinion on this thread has come out through tone. Allow me to re-explain if I may. I wouldn't feel insulted, but I do think that there are certain things (such as potterpoints) that every player just shouldn't have for this reason. In no way did I wish to convey that I was caring more about the work I did rather than anything else. Something that was actually brought to light a few months back was that every thing made from the staff team is contributed as a team, and not to one or more people in specific. I think that I definitely shed an inaccurate light upon my initial response. I apologize for that. However, I think that it's important to leave Potterpoints as a currency to be distributed by the appropriate people. It's just one of those things I find should be very hard to obtain, as it equates to real money. It wouldn't be fair to claim and strongly site every block placed. I personally did work for the community, whether it's enjoyed or not. I just think its ethical (from a server point, lol) to give out this currency.

Last edited:

LordOfTheRiot

Magician
Dark Follower Griffin
I’m going to have to disagree with this. Potterpoints are a special gift given to hard working staff/team members and tournament winners. They should not be easily obtainable and simply killing mobs would make them rewarded from a pretty unchallenging task. Potterpoints have a pretty low currency to $1.00 rate. Store items can be as low as a few dollars and nobody would pay with real money on the store. Store items also aren't dependent for your gameplay and it’s simply cosmetic. Personally I would feel a little unvalued/my work was unappreciated. The work I did and spent hours of my time contributing to Revelius and other gameplay not only gave me an opportunity to give back to the community, but I also got to enjoy it myself. In no way would I describe my incentive to what I did solely for Potterpoints, however when given them I felt very satisfied. I just don't think that any old player should be able to get Potterpoints in something that most players do every day.
Looking at it from this site, I can totally understand why it would be a problem for those who have given their most to work hard and win these points. However, I am not suggesting them to be easily obtainable. Only those who have worked very hard, grinding mobs, maybe even doing something with the loot (depends on how hard the staff wants to make it if it is accepted). You will need to farm a lot of mobs, so you may even have to take hours in order to receive points, however many the staff team decides on. The easiest way would still be tournaments, and I still respect each and every tournament winner. We still won't see every second player with points. That, I agree, would not be beneficial to the store, nor the players who have done their best to win them.

LordOfTheRiot

Magician
Dark Follower Griffin
I personally don't think this idea would be beneficial if this is also already happening.
Thank you for linking this here. I have been looking for different suggestions regarding Potterpoints in order to not duplicate/make it very easy to gain them. I have passed that thread, and now when I read it, I can see that this suggestion would ease the ways of getting Potterpoints a lot, which was not my primary idea. I guess it is up to the staff to either decline it or accept it with a few tweaks to make it hard and only those who really dedicate themselves to mob farming, to gain these points. (Excuse my writing if you cannot understand it.)

HektorTM

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: HektorTM
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Hello there LordOfTheRiot,
I've brought up your suggestion to the rest of the Poltergeist Team and we've decided to decline your idea since Potterpoints are given to the Staff team who help with creating and improving the server and to players who win tournaments or competitions!
Your suggested method would make it too easy to get Potterpoints through being active and grinding mobs all day long.
This is not what we planned to do with the Potterpoint system.
It was already mentioned in a comment on this thread that there is currently a suggestion on-hold right now about the exchange of Voting Tokens to Potterpoints, as this is something we hope to do! It would make it easier to receive Potterpoints and not only by the 3 methods mentioned above!
Thank you for your suggestion and we hope that you'll carry on making great suggestions!
~Hektor