DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Proximity Voice Chat

Would you like?

• Yes

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 31.3%

• Total voters

Perunazzz

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: Perunazzz
Dark Follower Griffin
Heyy! I would really like a proximity voice chat. It could be like " Use at your own risk " or something like that. The proximity chat would be really cool because it gives the ability to communicate better in my option. It should not be needed but it could be optional. But I myself don't know much about them, like do they need a specific client etc. Thank you for reading and hope you understood something from my terrible English. Bye!

PanicAtTheStage

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: PanicAtTheStage
Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix
Heyy! I would really like a proximity voice chat. It could be like " Use at your own risk " or something like that. The proximity chat would be really cool because it gives the ability to communicate better in my option. It should not be needed but it could be optional. But I myself don't know much about them, like do they need a specific client etc. Thank you for reading and hope you understood something from my terrible English. Bye!
Its a good idea! It'd be fun walking up to someone, saying hello, then running away

Lynn

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Mireiia
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire
It's a good idea, but honestly also a really bad one. Proximity voice chat is something that the staff won't be able to moderate, which could potentially be a disaster lol

Yellow_Flower

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: TheVirgoKid101
Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire
Like Lynn said about it being hard to moderate. Some person might slip something but very quietly. It would be annoying if you walk into the great hall and just hear people screaming on their mics at the top of their lungs. The chat filter can't catch as easily, bc you might say it differently in a way where it won't catch it.

Pankakes

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Pankakes_81
Griffin
This question pops up from time to time and gets declined every time.
I understand both sides of this, on one hand there's more immersion and more ways to immersively socialize. On the other there's those kind of people who like to ruin the fun.

It's true that it can't be moderated easily, if at all, but at the same time, isn't this community basically a moderator as well ? Players oversee other players, if they're doing something against the rules, I'm sure the rulebreakers get reported.

After all, there's Swearing channels on Discord,
1638747553481.png

I don't see how in-game voice chat would be any different to this, especially since not many players mod their game, the proximity VOIP mod could be listed as "Allowed - But use at your own discretion".

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Minecraft IGN: MattyPoltergeist
Serpent Werewolf
Not sure if you know yet or if it was already mentioned and I missed it during my quick skim of the comments, but for a while (perhaps accidently) this did exist. It was just after Labymod was whitelisted as a mod and it was a really fun time to be able to walk up to people and instantly chat with them. It certainly boosted communication among the players that were willing to use it. However, it is true that it can't feesibly be moderated and there were definitely cases where it was used for things that Potterworld would not usually permit on its chats or voice channels (swearing ones included). So it is a fun idea? Absolutely? Is it a logical idea? Maybe not. It would potentially ruin Potterworld's status as a family friendly server and though I do believe that only people who are comfortable with voice proximity would be using it in the first place, it does bring up some moderation and moral issues that can't be easily fixed.

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Minecraft IGN: MattyPoltergeist
Serpent Werewolf
Not sure if you know yet or if it was already mentioned and I missed it during my quick skim of the comments, but for a while (perhaps accidently) this did exist. It was just after Labymod was whitelisted as a mod and it was a really fun time to be able to walk up to people and instantly chat with them. It certainly boosted communication among the players that were willing to use it. However, it is true that it can't feesibly be moderated and there were definitely cases where it was used for things that Potterworld would not usually permit on its chats or voice channels (swearing ones included). So it is a fun idea? Absolutely? Is it a logical idea? Maybe not. It would potentially ruin Potterworld's status as a family friendly server and though I do believe that only people who are comfortable with voice proximity would be using it in the first place, it does bring up some moderation and moral issues that can't be easily fixed.
I would also like to mention (just to argue both sides here) that the voice channels on the Potterworld Discord also can't be easily moderated without input or intel from the community. It is just as possible for swearing and innapropriate behaviour to be occuring on the clean voice channels of discord as it is to be occuring on a proximity chat. It is different though, because a moderator can simply just hop into a Voice Chat, while in-game, it is more difficult for them to relocate to the proximity (not to mention they would have to have the mod in the first place).

Perunazzz

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: Perunazzz
Dark Follower Griffin
This question pops up from time to time and gets declined every time.
I understand both sides of this, on one hand there's more immersion and more ways to immersively socialize. On the other there's those kind of people who like to ruin the fun.

It's true that it can't be moderated easily, if at all, but at the same time, isn't this community basically a moderator as well ? Players oversee other players, if they're doing something against the rules, I'm sure the rulebreakers get reported.

After all, there's Swearing channels on Discord,
View attachment 2205
I don't see how in-game voice chat would be any different to this, especially since not many players mod their game, the proximity VOIP mod could be listed as "Allowed - But use at your own discretion".
This!

Tara Silvius

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: SLGTara
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Jr. Professor Class Design Sr. Game Designer
Hello, @Perunazzz and everyone else that responded to this thread!

While we understand that the proximity VC would be a fun thing to use with friends and other social engagements, the Leadership team has carefully decided against using it on Potterworld. A similar suggestion had been brought up, which discussed using the Labymod VC, and it got declined. I’ll link that suggestion here as well if you’d like to read more about it! Even though it was used in the past, as mentioned, our main concern is that proximity VCs, in general, have the possibility of creating toxicity, inappropriate language, and other verbal actions that violate Potterworld rules. All of these would be mostly out of our reach in moderating, and regardless of having a “Use at your own risk” warning, this is something we do not want to risk doing. Therefore, we will not be returning Labymod VC or allowing the use of proximity VCs.

Additionally, due to this suggestion being quite similar to another one that had been brought up in the past, this thread will be marked as a duplicate. Despite this, we hope that you understand our decision and that you continue to create more suggestions in the near future!

Have a lovely day and a happy Winter Waltz!

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Drooble's Order
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect Drooble's Order
Does this mean the swearing channels will close as well since they're basically the same as voice chat ?
Heya!

I'm assuming you are referring to the Swearing VCs on the discord and proximity voice chat in-game. To clarify, any rules except the Swearing rules still apply to the Swearing Voice Chats on the discord, which means that they do still need to be moderated. The same thing would apply to "at your own risk" Labymod Voice Chat.

You are also correct that both discord and in-game voice chat would rely on help from the community to moderate. The difference between the two, as Matty states, is that on the discord there's a certain amount of voice chats that can all be seen at one glance. Therefore, if a rule-breaking situation on discord occurs a discord mod can easily hop into the vc, resolve the situation and monitor it further to prevent it from continuing.
In contrast, in-game the moderator would have to physically get to the location, but then can't really monitor the situation further, as the players involved could go anywhere else on the map. This can also make it more likely for rule-breaking to occur as there is the mentality of not being seen or caught if you are hidden in some corner of the map.
You could of course say that moderators could follow players around to monitor them, but that requires a significant amount of time and effort. This would pose a large additional strain on the Moderation team, especially as there can theoretically be a very large number of situations happening at the same time in different places on the map (larger than the limited amount of discord channels that players can be seen it at one glance).

Finally, it is important to note that this used to be enabled in-game, but there were a lot of negative experiences that caused it to be removed. The experience was made that moderating it was very difficult and that resulted in a lot of toxicity and hateful speech, hence why we are not eager to allow it again. Discord swearing VCs, on the other hand, have by far not had the same amount of problems, which is why we see no problem in them continuing to exist.

Ultimately, the Moderation team wants to keep all members of the Potterworld community safe and provide a safe and relaxing environment. Adding Proximity Voice Chat has been severely detrimental to this in the past and we do not see a way to avoid the same issues, so we will not be bringing it back.

I hope this answered your question. If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to reply to this thread again.
Best regards,
Aurora