DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Quabbleball | How to balance Bruiser

Frebii

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Frebii
Griffin Phoenix SPEW
Bruiser balancing has been a problem Quabbleball has had ever since release. First it is too strong with perma grounding then a few months later you're suddenly playing cooldown simulator.

So here's a guide on how to balance Bruiser:

In the actual Quidditch lore the Bruisers use their bats to "counter" or "hit" the bruiser balls. What if when you miss your range shot you can actually catch your ball and this way your cooldown gets refreshed. This way you're not playing cooldown simulator anymore and the role finally gets more skill expression plus more exciting gameplay. Obviously the own Bruiser Ball would have to have a different lighting / color etc. maybe the same glowing up effect Passer see for the Quabble but this time only you, yourself can see it.

It would also slightly buff Passers as Bruisers would be looking for more than just focusing one single player.

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: TallBlondeDude
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
this is a nerf to passers let’s not kid ourselves

cool idea but I don’t think it would help that much, + balance wise bruiser is really good rn even if it isn’t the most fun to play

Somnambulist

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Psycho
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
Bruiser balancing has been a problem Quabbleball has had ever since release. First it is too strong with perma grounding then a few months later you're suddenly playing cooldown simulator.

So here's a guide on how to balance Bruiser:

In the actual Quidditch lore the Bruisers use their bats to "counter" or "hit" the bruiser balls. What if when you miss your range shot you can actually catch your ball and this way your cooldown gets refreshed. This way you're not playing cooldown simulator anymore and the role finally gets more skill expression plus more exciting gameplay. Obviously the own Bruiser Ball would have to have a different lighting / color etc. maybe the same glowing up effect Passer see for the Quabble but this time only you, yourself can see it.

It would also slightly buff Passers as Bruisers would be looking for more than just focusing one single player.
Passers are already op with the current Bruiser setup. But if you're a Passer that's getting hit by a Bruiser then try counting 6 seconds after you get hit as that's your free time to figure out a way to evade them.

As for that Quidditch lore that you brought up - I've been lucky enough to get hit by my own stray bludger a few times, but having to catch that bludger aimlessly flying around? You're joking, right? With the bruiser's broom speed and how fast the bludger flies - that would essentially be a Searcher role but in hardcore mode.

Plus, this idea would really extend the Bruiser cooldown in a way if you're making the Bruiser find the bludger.
If they did incorporate your idea, I think that they would have to do a few things to rebalance the position -
  • Remove all of the cooldowns since the time spent finding the bludger is essentially another cooldown.
  • Increase the bruiser broom speed.
  • Definitely figure out how to make the bludger glow only for Bruisers - because right now the Quabble glows for every player and having another glowing object could cause confusion.

Frebii

Graduate
Griffin Phoenix SPEW
Passers are already op with the current Bruiser setup. But if you're a Passer that's getting hit by a Bruiser then try counting 6 seconds after you get hit as that's your free time to figure out a way to evade them.

As for that Quidditch lore that you brought up - I've been lucky enough to get hit by my own stray bludger a few times, but having to catch that bludger aimlessly flying around? You're joking, right? With the bruiser's broom speed and how fast the bludger flies - that would essentially be a Searcher role but in hardcore mode.

Plus, this idea would really extend the Bruiser cooldown in a way if you're making the Bruiser find the bludger.
If they did incorporate your idea, I think that they would have to do a few things to rebalance the position -
  • Remove all of the cooldowns since the time spent finding the bludger is essentially another cooldown.
  • Increase the bruiser broom speed.
  • Definitely figure out how to make the bludger glow only for Bruisers - because right now the Quabble glows for every player and having another glowing object could cause confusion.
so u say if Bruisers dont get the ability to perma ground a Passer, Passers are op? the only role thats op rn is Defender

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
so u say if Bruisers dont get the ability to perma ground a Passer, Passers are op? the only role thats op rn is Defender
Bruisers aren't able to ground with the current setup. And with your idea they still can't ground because they need to find the bludger.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
what are u talking about? thats what I'm saying
No, I was just confused by your initial reply and didn't know what to say.

What's the Bruiser's role in the game? They bruise and make sure that the other team isn't able to hold onto the quabble, right? With the way Bruiser is setup right now, the shared cooldowns really negate what their position is meant to do. And when you add your idea of having a bruiser find their bludger in the field, that makes the position worse off to play. The reason why I said Passers are op is because Bruisers have been nerfed significantly - it's noticeable with the way Passers have had more airtime than the previous iteration of Quabbleball.

I wouldn't consider Defenders as op either. There are just extremely good defenders such as Brycaroni and Engelhardmarcos. Playing against them is kind of fun as a Passer and makes the game interesting.

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: TallBlondeDude
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
passers are fine
bruisers are fine
searchers are only op due to def
defender is op

20-30 games are not fun

more score = more fun
defender needs to be reworked rn its just not fun to play and the main way of breaking it is slow play which buffs searcher by slowing down an already slow game

Frebii

Graduate
Griffin Phoenix SPEW
passers are fine
bruisers are fine
searchers are only op due to def
defender is op

20-30 games are not fun

more score = more fun
defender needs to be reworked rn its just not fun to play and the main way of breaking it is slow play which buffs searcher by slowing down an already slow game
totally agree with this

Frebii

Graduate
Griffin Phoenix SPEW
No, I was just confused by your initial reply and didn't know what to say.

What's the Bruiser's role in the game? They bruise and make sure that the other team isn't able to hold onto the quabble, right? With the way Bruiser is setup right now, the shared cooldowns really negate what their position is meant to do. And when you add your idea of having a bruiser find their bludger in the field, that makes the position worse off to play. The reason why I said Passers are op is because Bruisers have been nerfed significantly - it's noticeable with the way Passers have had more airtime than the previous iteration of Quabbleball.

I wouldn't consider Defenders as op either. There are just extremely good defenders such as Brycaroni and Engelhardmarcos. Playing against them is kind of fun as a Passer and makes the game interesting.

of course Defender is op? old Defender was 100% more balanced than current one.

In this iteration of QB, Defender is an easy to play easy to master role which just doesnt work as to before where it was a hard to play medium to master. The reason being old Defender had clear weaknesses as it had to aim for a goal to block it but it also had a bigger steal range and could fly out of theirzone.

The reason Defender - Passer interaction can never be even is because the Passer has to deal with way more than the Defender has to, being potentionally 2 Bruisers and 3 Passers. Defender has to be more difficult to play in order to work in this game. And now multiple nerfs like Passers not being able to dropshot or the Quabble spawning at different heights adds more problems to them. No way can you say with a straight face that Passer is op.

Another reason Defender is op is not due to players being good it's because just having a defender in general is just way more valuable than it used to be.

But my suggestion is not about Defender it's about Bruiser.
The most fun a Bruiser usually has is focusing a friend or a nemesis besides that theres not really much else to it. Thats why I suggested a Bruiser having an additional layer of skill expression.

The goal of this is not to make bruiser op or Passer too weak it's just to make the gameplay more exciting.

Of course the implementation would for sure be difficult and theres no way the Staff Team would ever accept this but I still like the idea as it is cuz it would for sure make the role Bruiser more fun to play.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
But my suggestion is not about Defender it's about Bruiser.
The most fun a Bruiser usually has is focusing a friend or a nemesis besides that theres not really much else to it. Thats why I suggested a Bruiser having an additional layer of skill expression.

The goal of this is not to make bruiser op or Passer too weak it's just to make the gameplay more exciting.
You know what made Bruiser fun and exciting? Having shorter and no shared cooldowns. It was fun bruising Passers and Bruisers without having to wait. Bring that back instead.

Frebii

Graduate
Griffin Phoenix SPEW
You know what made Bruiser fun and exciting? Having shorter and no shared cooldowns. It was fun bruising Passers and Bruisers without having to wait. Bring that back instead.
Yeah bro not being able to play the game is rly fun and exciting and interactive gameplay

Frebii

Graduate
Griffin Phoenix SPEW
What mess is bruiser in rn? just because Bruiser isnt op anymore doesnt mean its a weak role whatsoever. Bruiser isn't supposed to be a carry role like it was before, it's meant to be a supporting role.

Yeah mb I shouldve just spun my mouse in circles when I got grounded in old QB that would've prevented that probably.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
What mess is bruiser in rn? just because Bruiser isnt op anymore doesnt mean its a weak role whatsoever. Bruiser isn't supposed to be a carry role like it was before, it's meant to be a supporting role.

Yeah mb I shouldve just spun my mouse in circles when I got grounded in old QB that would've prevented that probably.
You just made a suggestion to balance Bruiser? You don't make suggestions unless you think something is wrong with it, right?
And yeah, clearly you weren't doing that because I'm certain that I saw tons of goals from other players going through when Bruiser wasn't nerfed to bits.

Frebii

Graduate
Griffin Phoenix SPEW
"The goal of this is not to make bruiser op or Passer too weak it's just to make the gameplay more exciting.

Of course the implementation would for sure be difficult and theres no way the Staff Team would ever accept this but I still like the idea as it is cuz it would for sure make the role Bruiser more fun to play."

???

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
"The goal of this is not to make bruiser op or Passer too weak it's just to make the gameplay more exciting.

Of course the implementation would for sure be difficult and theres no way the Staff Team would ever accept this but I still like the idea as it is cuz it would for sure make the role Bruiser more fun to play."

???
It's. In. Your. T I T L E.
Screenshot_1.png

Frebii

Graduate
Griffin Phoenix SPEW
balance: a situation in which different elements are equal or in the correct proportions.

balancing doesn't mean it has to be largely out of proportion it can also be slightly out of proportion, generally speaking Bruiser is more balanced than it used to be and people have already mentioned that under this post so why are you purposely ignoring that and where are the screenshots of us saying that?

I also stated that this suggestion is just to make this gameplay more exciting as literally everyone except you (as usual) agrees that Bruiser isn't weak at all it's just slightly below balanced now.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
I also stated that this suggestion is just to make this gameplay more exciting as literally everyone except you (as usual) agrees that Bruiser isn't weak at all it's just slightly below balanced now.
Maybe I fail to see the "fun" in trying to find a bludger in the field just so Passers could stop being focused on.