DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

[Quabbleball] Make Searcher Slower

Somnambulist

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Psycho
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
Searcher currently has the fastest broom speed in the Quabbleball game making it easy for Searchers to avoid getting hit by a Bruiser, but at the same time making it harder for a Bruiser to aim at a Searcher zooming by. With the current gameplay, where Bruisers have a shared skill cooldown, I think it would be interesting to see Searchers slowed down a bit to give Bruisers a choice on who to bruise - Passer or Searcher? Given that Searchers have been the least likely to be focused on in previous Quabbleball games due to their speed, I think it would bring a nice balance for Bruisers to focus their efforts on both Searcher and Passer positions on the opposing team as a strategy.

In conjunction with slowing the Searcher speed, the Swippet would have to be adjusted and balanced as well.

Engelhardmarcos

Animorphus
Staff
Minecraft IGN: M_Engel
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Vampire Werewolf Arithmancer
Hmm, I wonder if the points scored by passer(s) on the same team could be affect by the broom speed, something like a "moral mechanic".
Right now, I believe there are two "parallel" games, where one is def, passers and bruisers and the other is searcher vs searcher, and an amazing searcher can carry and influence the result, regardless what's happening on who's scoring the most points as passers.

nony

Magician
Minecraft IGN: Nony
Honeybadger Dark Follower
honestly i don’t rly think that searchers are supposed to be bruised anyways. also if they slow down searcher they would have to slow down the swippet as well and it would be a mess

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
Hmm, I wonder if the points scored by passer(s) on the same team could be affect by the broom speed, something like a "moral mechanic".
Right now, I believe there are two "parallel" games, where one is def, passers and bruisers and the other is searcher vs searcher, and an amazing searcher can carry and influence the result, regardless what's happening on who's scoring the most points as passers.
That would be amazing if they were able to implement some type of dynamic broom speed based on passer points and player morale. And I agree that there is a parallel play where searcher isn't really affected unless a bruiser manages to focus on them.
That's another issue with the parallel play in this game - Def, Passer, and Bruiser games are definitely harder to play if each position has a good player - compared to just a Searcher looking for a swippet and not being focused on by Bruiser except another Searcher.

I do think that searcher should be adjusted so it’s a little more balanced as a position, but I don’t think that this is the way to do it
Yeah def agree that the position could be balanced especially with other searchers like rvowan who tend to main the position and usually tilts the game making it more of a Searcher game instead of a Passer game. And slowing Searchers down might not reflect the way they are played in Quidditch, but what else is there apart from making the Swippet harder to get, reducing Searcher points, or nerfing them a bit more?

cheddarsoup

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: cheddarsoup
Auralock Phoenix Serpent Werewolf
what else is there apart from making the Swippet harder to get, reducing Searcher points, or nerfing them a bit more?
I honestly think the best thing that could be done would actually be changes to passer/defender to speed up passer gameplay, rather than nerfing searcher. If passer gameplay were quicker, more points could be scored and it would become less of a “which team has the better searcher” game mode.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
I honestly think the best thing that could be done would actually be changes to passer/defender to speed up passer gameplay, rather than nerfing searcher. If passer gameplay were quicker, more points could be scored and it would become less of a “which team has the better searcher” game mode.
Passer gameplay has changed significantly after they did the major update. Passers have more airtime plus the way Passers have started to pass to each other has been noticeable in many games after the update. Would increasing Passer involved dropping the quabbleball faster when it spawns or nerfing bruiser again?

increase bruiser ball speed and make it blind + major slow instead of knock, decouple cooldowns + decrease ball cooldown
Giving the bruised player blindness and slowness would be interesting, though it might be hard when applying slowness to brooms unless the devs can figure that out. This has to be paired with no catching or stealing though.
Honestly, I don't think they want to remove the shared cooldowns anymore. Though the current Bruiser position changes has taken some time to get used to, but it's still frustrating to play at times.

Frebii

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Frebii
Griffin Phoenix SPEW
I think after the 20 points nerf Searcher is in a fine state, the problem is that Defender is a boring and dull role and if we actually reverted it, it wouldve been more exciting and Passer would get buffed cuz in this meta the way Passer Defender interaction works:
You throw the ball, the defender blocks it, you catch it and score towards another goal while he is on cooldown, you can't do strategys or confuse him anymore as he only has to press 1 button instead of actually aiming at the goal.

The better and former interaction used to be:

Passer flies too close = you get punished (right click back then felt way more impactful as it is now and most defenders dont even know they can steal from other players as the role has too many mechanics which can lead to confusion among newer players)
Passer throws the ball and Defender blocks it = Actually feels way better thru defender perspective as you actually had to do something to defend the ball.
Defender in general lays more focus on bodyblocking as well than just standing still like a dead goose (more exciting gameplay, u actually feel like u have a meaningful purpose, skillexpression)

Another mechanic that hit Passers really hard is the ability to not be able to dropshot anymore, also a potential revert change to make the game better.

All in all, one can say that the issue in QB doesn't lay with Searcher at all.

1psaonly

Dragonologist
Minecraft IGN: 1psaonly
Dark Follower Serpent
I think that Searcher is fine where it is, putting the blame on the Searcher being too fast for QB is misguided! Or at least the broom speed of a Searcher is the midguided target. There are many things that exist, but I think that your energy is much better directed at something other than the Searcher's broom speed!

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
What if they just made Searcher super fast instead. Maybe you guys would be happy with that - you guys can't be serious about just leaving Searcher as is.

laertes

Magician
Minecraft IGN: laelouch
Dark Follower Serpent
What if they just made Searcher super fast instead. Maybe you guys would be happy with that - you guys can't be serious about just leaving Searcher as is.[/QUOTE

homie you cannot be serious the main issue you had that searcher was too fast to be hit by bruisers and now your saying u want them to make it faster?? everybody is fine with searcher how it is except you, searcher is fine just buff passer or def[

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
homie you cannot be serious the main issue you had that searcher was too fast to be hit by bruisers and now your saying u want them to make it faster?? everybody is fine with searcher how it is except you, searcher is fine just buff passer or def[
I mean, you can read what you just quoted. Searcher isn't fine.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
Sorry to break it to you but Searcher is indeed totally fine. The problem is that Passer goals don't happen as often as intended and that is the actual problem.
You're right, passer goals don't happen as often since this new update - Maybe it has to do with the updated Defender controls and how easier it is to use compared to the previous iteration? Though Passers do get more airtime now than before the update due to Bruiser nerfs.

Searcher has a significant impact on a game, yeah - especially when you think of Engel's "Parallel" Games aspect from above. Searchers are free to fly around focusing on the swippet without being affected as much by a Bruiser and maybe another Searcher. Honestly think that Searcher is the least stressful position in the game compared to other positions like Passer or Defender. That should change at least to make Searcher fairplay to bruise at an equal speed to that of Passers.

Frebii

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Frebii
Griffin Phoenix SPEW
You're right, passer goals don't happen as often since this new update - Maybe it has to do with the updated Defender controls and how easier it is to use compared to the previous iteration? Though Passers do get more airtime now than before the update due to Bruiser nerfs.

Searcher has a significant impact on a game, yeah - especially when you think of Engel's "Parallel" Games aspect from above. Searchers are free to fly around focusing on the swippet without being affected as much by a Bruiser and maybe another Searcher. Honestly think that Searcher is the least stressful position in the game compared to other positions like Passer or Defender. That should change at least to make Searcher fairplay to bruise at an equal speed to that of Passers.
idk why ur so obsessed about changing searcher directly when buffing passer / reverting defender already nerfs searcher indirectly

searcher is already unfun and not popular if u nerf it directly the role will be dead and no one will be playing it anymore.

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: TallBlondeDude
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
idk why ur so obsessed about changing searcher directly when buffing passer / reverting defender already nerfs searcher indirectly

searcher is already unfun and not popular if u nerf it directly the role will be dead and no one will be playing it anymore.
we can only dream that no one plays searcher anymore

buff passer don’t be cowards, give us drop shots back

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
psycho have you ever played searcher
I've only caught 86 swippets. Why? Do you have any input on the suggestion because I'm sure you're good with Searcher and would love to hear what you think about it.

The better and former interaction used to be:
Passer flies too close = you get punished (right click back then felt way more impactful as it is now and most defenders dont even know they can steal from other players as the role has too many mechanics which can lead to confusion among newer players)
Passer throws the ball and Defender blocks it = Actually feels way better thru defender perspective as you actually had to do something to defend the ball.
Defender in general lays more focus on bodyblocking as well than just standing still like a dead goose (more exciting gameplay, u actually feel like u have a meaningful purpose, skillexpression)
Another mechanic that hit Passers really hard is the ability to not be able to dropshot anymore, also a potential revert change to make the game better.
In your previous post you mentioned these two suggestions to revert Defender and buff Passer. I agree that they should bring back the drop shot skill, but I really don't think they will bring back the original Defender skill even if this current iteration has bad timing and an absurd rebound when a Def manages to block a quabbleball which lands back to a Passer or way out to the other end of the field. Having said that, I just don't think that doing those two would have much of an equal effect on nerfing Searcher.