DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Remove the blue glowing orb from the end of the wands.

Volt

Magician
Minecraft IGN: Volt4
Griffin Phoenix
I know most people use special wand skins where this isn't an issue, but the wand I use has it and I absolutely hate it.

why.. Why... WHY
WHY is there a glowing blue orb at the end of the wand.
It makes no sense favorlly or practically.

It is actually so ugly and I hate it.

PLEASE remove the glowing orb from the end of the wands.

Pankakes

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Pankakes_81
Griffin
You can remove it yourself by:
  1. Logging into PW then disconnecting
  2. Going to %appdata% > .minecraft > server-resource-packs
  3. Ordering them by date - choosing the latest one
  4. Copying it and pasting in "resourcepacks" folder
  5. Renaming it by adding ".zip" at the end
  6. Opening it
  7. \PWResourcepack(the one you added .zip to)\assets\minecraft\textures\item
  8. Remove "animated1.png"

9. Disable Server resource pack in Server properties (the menu before you join)
  10. Wands should be without the glow now.
Additionally it can also look better with Emissive textures. However, staff has not yet replied to that suggestion.

Edit: However I do agree that it looks more ugly than nice, especially when it is supposed to represent glow yet it is shaded all the time and doesn't emit any light

Last edited:

Henry

New Magician
Staff
Minecraft IGN: HenryyTM
Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Raven Game Designer
Generaly I like the idea as I am not a big fan of the glow either.
But making it optional or removing it would be a hell of a lot of work for the Artworkers. They would have to make a version without the glow for every single wand.
It is up to them if they want to invest that time, but I personally think that it would not be a good use/work trade off.

Pankakes

Animorphus
Griffin
Generaly I like the idea as I am not a big fan of the glow either.
But making it optional or removing it would be a hell of a lot of work for the Artworkers. They would have to make a version without the glow for every single wand.
It is up to them if they want to invest that time, but I personally think that it would not be a good use/work trade off.
It's just:
  1. Open the model in Blockbench
  2. Select the Glow
  3. Press Delete
  4. Delete the glow texture
  5. Export
However making it toggleable is another question, since I don't know how the wand is tied to every player and idk what would be required to code such thing

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
I know most people use special wand skins where this isn't an issue, but the wand I use has it and I absolutely hate it.

why.. Why... WHY
WHY is there a glowing blue orb at the end of the wand.
It makes no sense favorlly or practically.

It is actually so ugly and I hate it.

PLEASE remove the glowing orb from the end of the wands.
Maybe it should be something that you can disable but I dont think it should be removed.

Sunnya

Professor
Minecraft IGN: Sunnya
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire VIP Werewolf SPEW
Heyo! I just thought I'd pop in to provide the Artworker/Media perspective and share what was said about this in the past.

When it comes to the light at the end of the wand models it is not something we can make optional. Droobledore said that either all the wands have it or none of them do. This is because we'd need to have two models for each wand (one with & one without). Doing this would take up slots for other models and we want to avoid that. It's also not something we can do for specific spells because of how the magic plugin works.

As for getting rid of the light entirely, we won't be doing that either. A few years back Droobledore & abcdefgwynn (the Secretary to the Headmaster back then) sent out a poll on our old website asking if people they wanted their wands to have them or not (they also sent one way back when 3D wands were first introduced). They expressed that this poll would be the final time they ask players this and the decision will be final and will not be re-evaluated. The majority of players expressed that they'd like to keep the light and we've stuck by that ever since.

I'm sorry as this isn't want you expected to hear and I apologize for that. BUT like Pankakes said earlier, you're able to remove the texture from your own resource pack! This is probably the best alternative for you since we won't be removing the texture from the actual models.

Pankakes

Animorphus
Griffin
While I see the point in not doing this and I agree with those points (manpower needed elsewhere), I do not think they're that good.

This is because we'd need to have two models for each wand (one with & one without). Doing this would take up slots for other models and we want to avoid that.
Potterworld uses mainly diamond tools for models and it's easy to see why. One single diamond tool can have up to 1560 different models. Combining diamond tools (Axe, Pickaxe, Sword, Hoe, Shovel), that's 7800 slots for models. I do not think that those 7800 slots are gonna be all used up any time soon. (other tools [iron, gold, stone] have as much slots as their damage levels respectively)

Edit: Taken from Potterworld resource pack, Diamond tools:
317 models use axe, 317 use pickaxe, 378 use hoe, 372 use shovel, 13 use sword.
That's 1397 out of 7800 - 17.91% slots used if we assume only diamond tools are used.

A few years back Droobledore & abcdefgwynn (the Secretary to the Headmaster back then) sent out a poll on our old website asking if people they wanted their wands to have them or not (they also sent one way back when 3D wands were first introduced). They expressed that this poll would be the final time they ask players this and the decision will be final and will not be re-evaluated. The majority of players expressed that they'd like to keep the light and we've stuck by that ever since.
This view on things is very, very bad in my opinion.
First of all, having permanent un-reversible changes benefits noone. If games want to survive, they have to bring innovation and updates to the table, deciding that a feature will be kept forever regardless of what happens is not good.
Second of all, it's been "a few years" since that poll. How many players that have decided for that feature are still playing today ? How many new players are playing today that had no say in the poll back then ? Like, what is the difference between those players back then and those current ones ? They're technically the players, no difference.
If real life followed the same thinking process of not changing what somebody once decided on, women wouldn't be allowed to vote.

As I said, I understand not wanting to do it and I respect it, but those points seem more like an excuse to me.

Last edited:

FlatJambo

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: FlatJambo
Honeybadger Auralock
Based on her response and the fact that she is the head of media, I don't think this will be going anywhere soon. They are not excuses, just decisions that have been set in stone. And please don't compare a woman's right to vote to the glow on the end of a wand in a fictional game.

Bailey

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: viewful
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire
Hello!

We really appreciate your suggestion, but unfortunately, we will be declining it. We will not be removing the light at the end of the wand as this would cause a few issues farther along in the future. The server resource pack is restricted to 50MB and we are nearly halfway there already. If we decided to implement this idea then every wand would end up filling x2. This would only grow bigger and create more issues as more wands are introduced.

Another issue with doing this is the fact that adding more models will result in more client-side lag. Unfortunately, many players have weak computers and they will end up feeling an increased amount of lag.

We understand your frustration with this, but we are just not able to implement this type of wand due to the issues listed above. As Pankakes mentioned above, you are able to remove this yourself following the steps provided.

Once again, thank you so much for submitting a suggestion though! We truly appreciate it!