DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Resource pack - Emissive textures

Pankakes

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Pankakes_81
Griffin
Hey,
I've noticed that a lot of things on the server that are supposed to glow, don't actually glow and are always dark. For example: Torches in the dungeons have shaded flames and desk lamps in common rooms and classes that emit light look like they're turned off.

This can be made better (fixed), by adding emissive textures to the pack (as shown in the pictures below).

The only possible downside is, that players without OptiFine won't see a difference, however, the pack already supports some OptiFine features such as connected textures so it's not like it was made for Vanilla use only.

Some examples:
unknown (7).png
unknown (8).png
unknown (9).jpg
unknown (10).png

Finally the torches in the dungeons and lamps in common rooms would actually glow​

(I already have done Potterworld emissive textures resource pack for 1.12 and 1.13 and can share them both in the upcoming days once I polish them (for players that are too impatient). One thing that is missing, is glowing mobs, for example the fire scorpion or crab or whatever it was in the Gryffin common room, don't @ me, I'm only a 2nd year student)

Edit: Formatting

Last edited:

corainth

Magician
Minecraft IGN: mothie_
Auralock Dark Follower Serpent Vampire
tbh this would be kinda cool. a lot of things in the server that are supposed to "emit light" look like they're turned off or their light is nonexistent, the most noticeable of such being the wand light. it'd be awesome to see these things actually look how they're supposed to

Pankakes

Animorphus
Griffin
Okay, so, if anyone wants to try it, here's how to use it:
  1. Make sure you have OptiFine
  2. Join Potterworld, let it download the resourcepack and disconnect
  3. Go to Multiplayer, click on Potterworld -> Edit -> Server resource pack: Disabled
  4. Go to your %appdata% - .minecraft/server-resource-packs and order them by date
  5. Create a copy of the latest one
  6. Right click on it > "Rename" and add .zip at the end of the file you just copied
  7. Move the .zip file into your resourcepack folder
  8. Apply both resourcepacks
  9. Make sure the Potterworld Emissive is above the .zip file you created (above the Default Potterworld resourcepack)

Attachments

Tara Silvius

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: SLGTara
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Jr. Professor Class Design Sr. Game Designer
Hello, @Pankakes!

Thank you for bringing up your idea! I’ll have it be brought up to the rest of the team and discuss things from there. I’ll get back to you soon with a response!

Hope you have a nice day!

Creme_de_Creme

Head of Academics
Head Staff
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Creme_de_Creme
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Head Staff Phoenix Vampire Werewolf DD Writer SPEW Lead
I really like this idea and would love to see it implemented on server!

Tara Silvius

Librarian
Staff
Minecraft IGN: SLGTara
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf Jr. Professor Class Design Sr. Game Designer
Heya again @Pankakes and everyone that responded to this thread!

Apologies for the long wait! After discussing this suggestion with the Leadership Team, we have decided to decline this suggestion, unfortunately. While we do think that this is a really nice suggestion, it would require us to make copies of multiple textures in our pack, and duplicating multiple of our textures with the current pack size limitations in our current version of MC is not ideal. We would like to reserve this space for future models and textures. Despite this, we hope that you continue to create more suggestions and share them with us in the near future!

Thank you again for making this suggestion! Have a nice day!

Pankakes

Animorphus
Griffin
While we do think that this is a really nice suggestion, it would require us to make copies of multiple textures in our pack...
Not really, they could've just asked me for the textures that are already done, no need for more manhours.

...and duplicating multiple of our textures...
But textures are already being duplicated for the sake of removing repetition. In packs, this isn't needed as it's done only for the visuals, just like emissive textures are.

1626887374686.png

...with the current pack size limitations in our current version of MC is not ideal.
We would like to reserve this space for future models and textures...

AFAIK, Minecraft has no texture pack size limitations related to Minecraft's version. And if something like that even exsits and if the current pack size limitations are so strict, then why is there a 52kB .PSD file in customables, two 30kB unused painting textures, 136kB+28kB of connected textures that only OptiFine users see ? What does the leadership want because rn they say one thing and do the opposite.

1626887293055.png
1626887313229.png

1626887434976.png

My Emissive textures resource pack takes up 587kB, this is due to the fact that I did not optimize the textures (changing colour profile from RGB to Indexed) and the fact that I included animated textures such as the ceiling in Raven common room or the bottom of a furnace. It's so subtle in the default pack you can't even see it, If I did compress the textures, well:

An animated emerald texture which takes up 51,2kB, however, if I Index it, it takes 3,45kB.
If I indexed everything, the whole pack would take up 460kB. So if emissive textures were in PW RP, it'd have 21 740kB instead of 21 280 kB.

Meanwhile the sky folder takes up 5608 kB.

So yeah, all of the reasons mentioned don't seem that valid to me. But maybe I'm wrong and the 280kB of unused textures are absolutely necessary despite "being short on space".

Magma

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: MagmaC4
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Not really, they could've just asked me for the textures that are already done, no need for more manhours.

But textures are already being duplicated for the sake of removing repetition. In packs, this isn't needed as it's done only for the visuals, just like emissive textures are.

AFAIK, Minecraft has no texture pack size limitations related to Minecraft's version. And if something like that even exsits and if the current pack size limitations are so strict, then why is there a 52kB .PSD file in customables, two 30kB unused painting textures, 136kB+28kB of connected textures that only OptiFine users see ? What does the leadership want because rn they say one thing and do the opposite.

My Emissive textures resource pack takes up 587kB, this is due to the fact that I did not optimize the textures (changing colour profile from RGB to Indexed) and the fact that I included animated textures such as the ceiling in Raven common room or the bottom of a furnace. It's so subtle in the default pack you can't even see it, If I did compress the textures, well:

An animated emerald texture which takes up 51,2kB, however, if I Index it, it takes 3,45kB.
If I indexed everything, the whole pack would take up 460kB. So if emissive textures were in PW RP, it'd have 21 740kB instead of 21 280 kB.

Meanwhile the sky folder takes up 5608 kB.

So yeah, all of the reasons mentioned don't seem that valid to me. But maybe I'm wrong and the 280kB of unused textures are absolutely necessary despite "being short on space".
mans is speaking fax 📠 no printer

Pankakes

Animorphus
Griffin
Actually, there is a limit to the resource pack of a server of 50 MB
You're right. Below 1.15 it's 50 MB after that it's 100MB limit.

Still, you could duplicate the whole resource pack - sounds, textures, models... (2x20.78 = 41.56 MB) and there would still be enough space (50 - 41.56 = 8.4375MB = 8640 kB) to include all emissive textures 18 times (8640/460 = 18.7826086957)

Magma

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: MagmaC4
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf SPEW
You're right. Below 1.15 it's 50 MB after that it's 100MB limit.

Still, you could duplicate the whole resource pack - sounds, textures, models... (2x20.78 = 41.56 MB) and there would still be enough space (50 - 41.56 = 8.4375MB = 8640 kB) to include all emissive textures 18 times (8640/460 = 18.7826086957)
mans is speaking fax 📠 no printer