DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Revert Passer Part 2 - Electric Boogaloo

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: TallBlondeDude
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
First, I would like to thank the dev and poltergeist team for their changes with QB in the last week - I agree with all the decisions, although I think the searcher nerf was a tad bit light, I understand the reasoning behind it. Overall, they have made a much more pleasant and balanced game. However, in this latest batch a change came that disabled passers from being able to use spells while grounded. This makes it much harder to do anything if you are getting targeted, since you cant recover the ball and pass it downfield if the bruiser is competent. This makes passer much less fun, and heavily nerfs its counter-play against a good bruiser. This trait makes a lot of sense for a defender - a role who strategically might be incentivized to be on the ground, but a passer is incentivized enough already. This is also bugged and says you are on the ground while falling, which prevents a large amount of falling techs like ball regrabs (bruisers that double hit you let you regrab the ball) and drop steals.

I understand the intention was for this:
https://potterworldmc.com/threads/q...-for-passers-when-they-get-knocked-off.12545/

however, It really hurts gameplay enjoyment and makes bruiser way too strong - they were strong without this, but this pushes them over the top. If this is rejected, please consider heavily nerfing bruiser cooldowns again to compensate for this indirect buff.

I would also like to add in the above thread, the passer didnt actually use any skills to get the ball back - they simiply recaught the ball they threw. The only way for a passer to retrive the ball in air after being knocked is if a bruiser hits an already falling player and knocks them back upwards.

Edit: you also cant throw the ball when not on your broom. This removes drop shots as well as land passing, which are the premier way to break good defenders and make progress while being grounded. Passer has been *majorly* neutered in this update. Almost all forms of advanced play and counter-play are gone, and now only basic maneuvers are possible.

Last edited:

Somnambulist

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Psycho
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
I'd prefer to see how this update plays out in the next week or two just to see how other passers are affected and whether they ragequit or not. I'm sure they would be annoyed by it, but passing is still possible after playing a few games with this update.

Edit: you also cant throw the ball when not on your broom. This removes drop shots as well as land passing, which are the primer way to break good defenders and make progress while being grounded.
I wonder if they can adjust whatever they do with the plugin so that it doesn't affect the dropshot skill so players who drop from their broom, without being bruised or swiped at, whilst holding the quabbleball can still do the dropshot. Though at the same time they should keep the disabled skills part for Passers if they are still on the ground because land throwing seemed unfair if the Bruiser knocked the Passer off but the Passer was still able to use their skills.

Maybe they could figure out a way to disable bruising effects if a player from either team is on the ground? So a Bruiser won't be able to continually ground players -- but still keeping the disabled skills part if the Passer is on the ground.

Lilian

Dragonologist
Minecraft IGN: Liyl
Auralock Dark Follower Serpent
I'd prefer to see how this update plays out in the next week or two just to see how other passers are affected and whether they ragequit or not. I'm sure they would be annoyed by it, but passing is still possible after playing a few games with this update.

I wonder if they can adjust whatever they do with the plugin so that it doesn't affect the dropshot skill so players who drop from their broom, without being bruised or swiped at, whilst holding the quabbleball can still do the dropshot. Though at the same time they should keep the disabled skills part for Passers if they are still on the ground because land throwing seemed unfair if the Bruiser knocked the Passer off but the Passer was still able to use their skills.

Maybe they could figure out a way to disable bruising effects if a player from either team is on the ground? So a Bruiser won't be able to continually ground players -- but still keeping the disabled skills part if the Passer is on the ground.
as someone who has played the most games of passer, i have learned the ins and outs of the role. being grounded leaves little to no room for gameplay. however, being able to use skills on the ground is essential for countering this (and worry not passing while being grounded is still extremely hard and takes skill). without this, passer targeting becomes more powerful by tenfolds.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
as someone who has played the most games of passer, i have learned the ins and outs of the role. being grounded leaves little to no room for gameplay. however, being able to use skills on the ground is essential for countering this (and worry not passing while being grounded is still extremely hard and takes skill). without this, passer targeting becomes more powerful by tenfolds.
Well then, I can't wait to play a few games of quabbleball with you to see how this update affects you because I noticed that you and a few others, apart from Tall and Brycaronii, that mentioned "I agree" above didn't really play this update at the time that they posted.

Edit: Just to note that Tall posted this thread after playing just one game of this update.

Lilian

Dragonologist
Minecraft IGN: Liyl
Auralock Dark Follower Serpent
Well then, I can't wait to play a few games of quabbleball with you to see how this update affects you because I noticed that you and a few others, apart from Tall and Brycaronii, that mentioned "I agree" above didn't really play this update at the time that they posted.

Edit: Just to note that Tall posted this thread after playing just one game of this update.
tall, the others, and i have been in the majority of the games which have queued since the update. everyone other than bryce along with tall are passer mains.

TallBlondeDude

Librarian

One game is all it took to realize how bad this was, and you can see my progression as I found more issues with it the more games I played in the organization of my thread - its composed of many different sections as opposed to the more structured form of my regular suggestions due to this. If the snidget was changed to be 200 points, it would be self-evidentially broken, and for many people this is as well after 1 or even no games.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
One game is all it took to realize how bad this was, and you can see my progression as I found more issues with it the more games I played in the organization of my thread - its composed of many different sections as opposed to the more structured form of my regular suggestions due to this. If the snidget was changed to be 200 points, it would be self-evidentially broken, and for many people this is as well after 1 or even no games.
The game is still playable - I've played 9 games in the past two hours with a lot of people. Everyone seemed good at their positions and Passers were still able to score. I think the only players that this Passer nerf affected - the one where they disabled skills if the Passer is on the ground - are the people that often throw the ball whilst on the ground. I haven't seen much grounding though, because most of the games played had 2+ Passers on either team.

tall, the others, and i have been in the majority of the games which have queued since the update. everyone other than bryce along with tall are passer mains.
Are we talking about the same update? There was one update that was pushed maybe ~24 hours ago:
- Passers can no longer cast spells on the ground (along with Defender, but this isn't new)
- The passer steal range has decreased
- Swippet is now 20 points
I've been referring to the passers unable to cast spells whilst on the ground.

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
The game is still playable - I've played 9 games in the past two hours with a lot of people. Everyone seemed good at their positions and Passers were still able to score. I think the only players that this Passer nerf affected - the one where they disabled skills if the Passer is on the ground - are the people that often throw the ball whilst on the ground. I haven't seen much grounding though, because most of the games played had 2+ Passers on either team.

your first comment is wrong. the biggest effect is honestly not being able to grab the ball while on the ground. this means you have to grab it before flying again, if you can even before the other teams passer takes the 4 seconds to fly over to you. Drop shots being gone is also very noticeable. In fact, the only way I have found to play passer effectively against bruisers is to play as a forward - never under any conditions go onto your side of the court. And lets not kid ourselves, I don't want to grab the links but you have always been *very* pro bruiser, when most other experienced players view it as very strong, borderline overpowered (and still do). So with this understanding, its a bit frustrating to see an anti-passer narrative passed under false pretenses (the thread you posted's video is not even of what you are claiming it is). As for most games having 2+ passers, you and I both know how little that means. You are an experienced bruiser, and you know that grounding 1 player if one is better then the other is often, if not always, the strategically smarter move. If a passer cannot hit the side of a barn, you can ignore them. I have been grounded multiple times, and with defender being strong as well, passers are *really* struggling right now with almost all of their toolkit removed.

Padnora

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: padnora
Honeybadger Dark Follower Phoenix
your first comment is wrong. the biggest effect is honestly not being able to grab the ball while on the ground. this means you have to grab it before flying again, if you can even before the other teams passer takes the 4 seconds to fly over to you. Drop shots being gone is also very noticeable. In fact, the only way I have found to play passer effectively against bruisers is to play as a forward - never under any conditions go onto your side of the court. And lets not kid ourselves, I don't want to grab the links but you have always been *very* pro bruiser, when most other experienced players view it as very strong, borderline overpowered (and still do). So with this understanding, its a bit frustrating to see an anti-passer narrative passed under false pretenses (the thread you posted's video is not even of what you are claiming it is). As for most games having 2+ passers, you and I both know how little that means. You are an experienced bruiser, and you know that grounding 1 player if one is better then the other is often, if not always, the strategically smarter move. If a passer cannot hit the side of a barn, you can ignore them. I have been grounded multiple times, and with defender being strong as well, passers are *really* struggling right now with almost all of their toolkit removed.
i agree

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
It's a flying game. You should be flying when using the skills, not throwing the ball around when you're on the ground.
I'm surprised that they haven't disabled bruising skills for bruisers whilst on the ground too.
Anyway, Passers have been scoring points even after this recent update so what's your point?

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
It's a flying game. You should be flying when using the skills, not throwing the ball around when you're on the ground.
I'm surprised that they haven't disabled bruising skills for bruisers whilst on the ground too.
Anyway, Passers have been scoring points even after this recent update so what's your point?
1. Remove bruiser and searcher knocking - its a flying game! These stop you from flying. I fully support your suggestion to keep this core aspect consistent in our beloved game. (/s) QB is much more then just a flying only game, the ground play has always been a core defining part of it. From passers running on the ground to juking out bruisers to catching snidgets from on the ground, saying that its a purely flying game is a view point of ignorance.
2. "Passers have been scoring points even after this recent update so what's your point " LMAO just because passers can score some points doesn't mean its balanced or fair. That is like me saying bruiser should have 10 more seconds on both their cool downs because "they will still be knocking people even after this update". Its a grievous error purposely disregarding logic in an attempt to score free points, much like how passers can only take free points that bruisers choke and give them due to this update.
3. disabled bruising skills for bruisers whilst on the ground too.
> you do realize that bruisers are the ones who cause people to be on the ground, and have a natural built in counter play mechanism - their own bat (much like how passers used to have before this)? This would be a minor nerf to brusier, which i would support as its too strong, but not at the cost of passer.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
1. Remove bruiser and searcher knocking - its a flying game! These stop you from flying. I fully support your suggestion to keep this core aspect consistent in our beloved game. (/s) QB is much more then just a flying only game, the ground play has always been a core defining part of it. From passers running on the ground to juking out bruisers to catching snidgets from on the ground, saying that its a purely flying game is a view point of ignorance.
2. "Passers have been scoring points even after this recent update so what's your point " LMAO just because passers can score some points doesn't mean its balanced or fair. That is like me saying bruiser should have 10 more seconds on both their cool downs because "they will still be knocking people even after this update". Its a grievous error purposely disregarding logic in an attempt to score free points, much like how passers can only take free points that bruisers choke and give them due to this update.
3. disabled bruising skills for bruisers whilst on the ground too.
> you do realize that bruisers are the ones who cause people to be on the ground, and have a natural built in counter play mechanism - their own bat (much like how passers used to have before this)? This would be a minor nerf to brusier, which i would support as its too strong, but not at the cost of passer.
Honestly? Figure out a strategy, double up on passers or bruisers on your team, figure out who the heck you're playing against and then adjust. Every quabbleball game is different so it's not like you're going to be grounded every single game and every single second. That one last game that I played with you on about ~3 hours ago, you were doing fine as a Passer, likely because you had a good Bruiser who focused on me on your team, but I wasn't able to ground you as much. Evade and hope for the best.

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Honestly? Figure out a strategy, double up on passers or bruisers on your team, figure out who the heck you're playing against and then adjust. Every quabbleball game is different so it's not like you're going to be grounded every single game and every single second. That one last game that I played with you on about ~3 hours ago, you were doing fine as a Passer, likely because you had a good Bruiser who focused on me on your team, but I wasn't able to ground you as much. Evade and hope for the best.
Exactly! Im glad you brought ths up - this is my point! The only counterplay is to have another broken bruiser target the current bruiser. This is a clear sign something is wrong. And once again, I urge you to argue in good faith, because clearly none of us are saying someone is grounded every single game <3.