DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Some Room for Improvement

Good afternoon. To start off, I didn't know whether this post belongs in the "Off Topic" forums section or the "Suggestions and Feedback" section of the forums, so feel free to move my thread if necessary. My username in-game is UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, for those of you wondering.

Recently, I was permanently banned for the discussion controversial topics at various points in chat/class assignments. After some deep consideration, I have decided not to make an appeal, but rather to offer some parting constructive criticism to the player base, the staff members, and the server as a whole. While the goal of this post is to call PotterWorld out on several issues I noticed as a brand new player entering a long-established player base, I hope you do not take this as mere annoyance over my ban or to what some would refer as "saltiness," but rather as a fresh set off eyes adding a new perspective.

Many of the issues I encountered at PW stemmed from long-established relations between players, causing those players not to be welcoming. For example, the server's player base is quick congratulate new players on being sorted into a new house, but when that player actually needs help, they are usually ignored, as the same questions are asked over and over from new players, causing other players to be annoyed. However, their confusion is understandable. I was also extremely confused when I began my PW journey. It takes about 3 days of game play to fully understand how to server works, and even then all of the locations are still hard to find. Some of the reasons for this confusion, which are not necessarily bad, just reasons for the confusion, are the following: most new players are used to other servers, in which one can warp anywhere; the texture pack, though necessary and expertly crafted, on top of many new plugins makes the experience even more confusing, as the player loses their sense of traditional Minecraft; the items for professions are extensive, and usually are obtained before the player begins professions; etc. All of these make PW such an immersive, truly one-of-a-kind experience, but lead to confusion for new players, and older players fail to remember when they, too, were confused.

To extend, when players do help new players or act friendly in chat, it is usually out of obligation or for power. The following example is not the only one, and no disrespect is intended toward this player; she just happens to be the first person whom I witnessed this type of behavior when I joined the server, making her notable in my mind. Erica_Mendes/Erica_Rayne proved to be one of the most helpful members of my early game experience. She constantly answered questions and showed me locations. However, when she became a Jr. Prefect, almost all of this aide ceased. While I do understand that there are responsibilities outside of chat of chat for staff members, this made it clear that this player only wanted power or the position and was helping extensively to try to gain brownie points and develop her application, not actually to help new players, meaning the behavior was somewhat fake. This is not just a problem Erica created; this type of behavior is rampant beyond rampant in the server, and it creates a toxic, corrupt, fake environment. A player will immediately tell another to "ask in /ch qc" but will not helped them with their riddle. This is a problem. When kindness isn't genuine, it is delegitimized.

The next large issue I encountered was a great deal of favoritism. Though PW tried to present itself as a totally objective, unbiased server base, this was not the case. Usually acts of favoritism were just small acts, but these small acts added up and really tore down other players. For example, I was warned by a staff member for calling a player "icky," which is obviously a crude, facetious joke satirizing how toddlers offend each other, but then when paying donors and other staff members call each other or other players "stinky," it is totally justified as "just a joke," yet these two concepts are almost identical in joke structure and severity of offense, which is very, very little. Additionally, while some classes were seemingly objective and purely for the joy of teaching class (like Ema's classes, thank you so much for being a solid positive force in the server), others proved to be less than fair. I read a lot of writing assignments that received better grades than not only mine, but also other players' writing assignments. While there is always some subjectivity in grading and sometimes I would not agree with a grade difference but would understand it, other times it would be obvious that one player had a better work than another, but the Professor that attended another Professor's class, or the player that had been on the server for 4 years and spent hundreds of dollars would receive the O+. Don't get me wrong, I received O's and O+'s throughout my time on the server; this is not out of personal saltiness, but out of an observed, somewhat favoritistic system.

The next issue I noticed mainly arose from players who were not staff but had been on the server for several years. A lot of discussion on PW is exclusionary of those not deemed elite players. Many new players tried to create conversations that were easily shut down or belittled because they were unspokenly deemed un-elite. Additionally, players sharing last names is fun for RolePlay, but often times, all of the staff members or elite players belonging to families divided the old players from the new further. Nothing made me feel more excluded than not being part of a family group and somehow that making me lesser, or not understanding an inside joke. Inside jokes exclude people. This concept is ironic, considering PW tries to present itself as ultimately inclusive.

My next point, is that most of the previous points I made were indirectly developed. Many players did not directly state these concepts above, but, rather, they were developed through implication, passive-agressiveness, etc. Players would hide behind the fact that nothing was explicitly stated that was wrong, but this does not justify favoritism or exclusivity. You might read this and think that it does not apply to you, but chances are, it probably does. In fact, so much of this has developed in the server's player base, that many don't even realize their actions are hurting others, especially new players.

Next (and the most controversial opinion so far), the server covers up large issues in society or within itself. When a player targets issues that should make others uncomfortable, or the call the server/staff/players out on wrongdoings, they are usually shut down and punished, which is unfair. While it is important to keep chat appropriate, tackling tough issues in a respectful, educated way, especially with backing sources, or issues that occurred in the novels should not be disallowed. A server built upon the Harry Potter novels should not punish its players for mentioning events that occurred in said novels, even if they are tough topics. A server so largely supported and congregated by LGBTQIA+ members (myself included) should not shut down discussion of society's issues, like oppression and discrimination, with respect to any minority or majority group. On the server, I noticed that if anyone had a differing opinion from the norm, it was deemed "offensive" or "political." As an openly gay male, I accept that it is OK for religious players not to agree with homosexuality, especially if they are respectful to all of the queer players regardlessly. It is OK to have different beliefs, yet the server shuts these down. Furthermore, since I have remained within the rules throughout this post's entirety, if it is shut down, this action will prove the server does not wish to admit it has issues, and would rather delete my post and cover these issues up. Acceptance is the first step in improvement.

While not all players fall under these problems that the server presented in my month at PW as a fresh set of eyes to the server's ways, many did. You are most likely part of the problem, even if you do not realize that you are. I genuinely hope that each of you considers your actions and how they may affect others on the server, and I genuinely hope those who are high up in server status attempt to reform the staffing system to eliminate favoritism, bias, and exclusion, even if it is not easy to accept or to realize.

Thank you for your time,
UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH (Brendan)

BetsyTheBird

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: BetsyTheBird
Honeybadger
Periodtttt!!!!
did you lie? NO
Did you state the facts? YES
Periodt pooh yas mawma you better work mother goose mother gawd get them mawma call them out mawma nyasss!!! come through improvement!!!!

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Minecraft IGN: MattyPoltergeist
Serpent Werewolf
Referring to the 'elite player base' bit, I would say it's a little weird. As a 2+ year old and active player on the server I have gone through all the stages of Potterworld and I would say that there is in my opinion 2 main reasons why there is a split between the old players and the new players.
1: It happens on all other servers obviously because the older players do normally know more and have experienced more on the server, seeing themselves as more advanced than the new players is quite normal
2: I think that a lot of the old players have actually realised the problems in this post and over time have come to realised that their staff-wanting and loving self that first joined the server was a bit too optimistic and that there are a lot of problems with the server. They then see that the new players (as demonstrated a lot in chat) are also this staff-driven, optimistic person.

I also believe the comment on families and inside jokes was a bit eh. I believe the point of families on Potterworld for me anyway is to show the community that this group of players has a strong bond and that theyre friends. The inside joke thing also happens everywhere, not just Potterworld. In my opinion, though yes I feel excluded from inside jokes, it's whole purpose is to BE in an inside joke. If you play long enough either the joke will have passed or you will have caught on.

Great post though, I agreed with many things mentioned.

nathan1e

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: nathan1e
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Yeet, I'm here before it's deleted. There are a few notions from your post that I would like to directly reply to; I'll quote bits of each corresponding paragraph.

My username in-game is UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, for those of you wondering.
One of the best usernames I have ever come across in 7.5 years of playing Minecraft multiplayer.

However, their confusion is understandable. I was also extremely confused when I began my PW journey. It takes about 3 days of game play to fully understand how to server works, and even then all of the locations are still hard to find.
Interesting. Thing is that, when I joined, the server wasn't barely what it is now, so for me, it was relatively easy to understand everything, and learn new stuff over the years as the server evolved and updated. It's good to read a fresh perspective like this, as it allows me to see something I hadn't seen before. It's true that the server's gameplay can cause the necessary confusion, and it seems like the starter quests don't really solve this either. But as far as I've gathered, the new revelius update will include a revamped starter tutorial. So either that will fix some confusion, or it is something that can still be looked at? Idk, just thinking aloud.

To extend, when players do help new players or act friendly in chat, it is usually out of obligation or for power.
While I agree this is a problem, I have experience with this being a problem on multiple servers. The question is if there is anything that can be "fixed" here.
I personally remember a time when prefect/trainee applications were only open for a limited amount of time. During those times, chat would be cluttered a lot with loads and loads of people helping while not really helping (e.g. someone asks how to gain gold, and at least 10 people would simultaneously reply with "you can do this, that or trade [list of abbreviations]" where the list of abbreviations would be super long and only cause more confusion to the person asking the question). Outside of those times, chat would be extremely peaceful.
Thing is, it's incredibly difficult to determine if someone is only helping for the sake of helping, or actually helping because they are kind. Take the person you named for example. While they may have been less active in helping you in chat, they may indeed, as you said, be much more active behind the scenes.

A player will immediately tell another to "ask in /ch qc" but will not helped them with their riddle. This is a problem. When kindness isn't genuine, it is delegitimized.
This is something I've sometimes found myself doing, and I now see that it is indeed an incredibly weird thing to do. Thank you for opening my eyes!

The next large issue I encountered was a great deal of favoritism. Though PW tried to present itself as a totally objective, unbiased server base, this was not the case. Usually acts of favoritism were just small acts, but these small acts added up and really tore down other players. For example, I was warned by a staff member for calling a player "icky," which is obviously a crude, facetious joke satirizing how toddlers offend each other, but then when paying donors and other staff members call each other or other players "stinky," it is totally justified as "just a joke," yet these two concepts are almost identical in joke structure and severity of offense, which is very, very little.
I have come across similar issues during multiple occasions in the past, where I would essentially do something incredibly similar to that of a staff member only to be called out for doing so. Then, when I stopped doing it because I got called out for doing so, I could still see these staff members doing exactly what I got told off for, which is incredibly annoying. I've also noticed on loads of different occasions that jokes, whether they are mine or someone else's, would essentially be taken out of context and marked down as "rude" because "they could be seen as such" when that was never the intention or effect of such a remark, so I definitely agree with you.

Additionally, while some classes were seemingly objective and purely for the joy of teaching class (like Ema's classes, thank you so much for being a solid positive force in the server), others proved to be less than fair.
I would agree with this based on the fact that I was only recently in a trivia class that seemed anything but fair. Certain rules were added in the middle of the class, or answers that were completely different than what was being asked would be counted correctly. So yeah, I definitely think favoritism can be present in certain classes.

I read a lot of writing assignments that received better grades than not only mine, but also other players' writing assignments. While there is always some subjectivity in grading and sometimes I would not agree with a grade difference but would understand it, other times it would be obvious that one player had a better work than another, but the Professor that attended another Professor's class, or the player that had been on the server for 4 years and spent hundreds of dollars would receive the O+.
My question is this: do you have actual proof that this is the case? Like, have you seen 2 different assignments where one is definitely better than the other while the other got a higher mark? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discredit you on this notion but I simply think it would be unfair to claim something like this without concretely experiencing something as such.
From personal experience, there have been a lot of classes I attended that got me an O+. While I may have played on the server for a long while, I did not spend hundreds of dollars on it. Furthermore, these days the professors that host the classes I attend are people I barely know. So from my point of view, I don't really see such favoritism happening. It could happen for all I know, but I do think you'd need actual evidence to make such a claim. Otherwise it's just a matter of accepting that some players are really good at writing, flex unintended.

Additionally, players sharing last names is fun for RolePlay, but often times, all of the staff members or elite players belonging to families divided the old players from the new further. Nothing made me feel more excluded than not being part of a family group and somehow that making me lesser, or not understanding an inside joke. Inside jokes exclude people. This concept is ironic, considering PW tries to present itself as ultimately inclusive.
I understand your feeling of exclusion based on these families, but do you really want to stop a community from forming friend groups? Or making inside jokes? Personally I don't see this as too much of a problem - and that's coming from someone who does not have a last name, and who "owns" a family based on accepting anyone who does not have a last name.

On the server, I noticed that if anyone had a differing opinion from the norm, it was deemed "offensive" or "political." As an openly gay male, I accept that it is OK for religious players not to agree with homosexuality, especially if they are respectful to all of the queer players regardlessly. It is OK to have different beliefs, yet the server shuts these down. Furthermore, since I have remained within the rules throughout this post's entirety, if it is shut down, this action will prove the server does not wish to admit it has issues, and would rather delete my post and cover these issues up. Acceptance is the first step in improvement.
I feel like there are 2 seperate things in this paragraph I should address. First of all, the situation you are sketching of a religious player saying in chat that they do not agree with homosexuality.
While I applaud you for being a good enough person to still respect such a religious player while being gay yourself (I'm gay too, and I don't know if I would have the same mindset as you...) there is a very reason as to why such a religious player would be "shut down" at that point. And this reason is the rules.
"No inappropriate behaviour of any kind.
This includes innuendos, any comments about sensitive topics, any form of trolling and gambling."
A religious player commenting on their disagreement with homosexuality is seen as a sensitive topic, and therefore simply not allowed by the rules. The way I see it: the rules were made in order to allow everyone to play in a comfortable, safe environment. "Shutting down" comments like these ensures that homosexual players are not offended by such a comment. You can disagree with that, but at the end of the day I think that pretty much sums up the intention of such an action. I think you are mostly concerned with that specific rule, something I do not believe is going to change anytime soon.

The second thing is something I see as a seperate point. You claim that, in your post, you did not break any of the PW rules. I would agree with that claim, but I'm not a staff member so I do not have much experience what is considered "against the rules" or not, especially not after certain recent experiences. So yeah, if this post gets deleted (which I'm doubting will happen roughly 4 hours after you posted it? if I counted correctly) I would agree with that being complete and utter nonsense; but since such an action hasn't happened yet, I'm not exclaiming my dissatisfaction just yet.

Right, that's everything I had to say. Everything I said (apart from my first remark about your IGN) is aimed only at the points you bring, not to you as a person, or to anyone specific.

Scoobydoolego

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Scoobydoolego
Honeybadger
Thank you for making this post. Many of these I have noticed for a while myself and been too afraid to speak out about, and others gave me a new perspective on how novice players view the server. I've always tried to do my best about all the things you mentioned, but this really helped me realize my fault in some things.

I was also extremely confused when I began my PW journey. It takes about 3 days of game play to fully understand how to server works, and even then all of the locations are still hard to find.
This is definitely a problem on the server. The chat is always full of players asking questions, which is fine, but after hearing the same few questions being asked over and over, it becomes obvious that many parts of the server are difficult to understand. However, as Nathan said, the Revelius Update will have a revamped starting quests, as well as it being stated that players would still be in a sort of "learning mode" until level 30/40.

Many of the issues I encountered at PW stemmed from long-established relations between players, causing those players not to be welcoming.
It is true that many problems with the server are caused by the divide between old and new players, but I don't see any way to really fix this.

She constantly answered questions and showed me locations. However, when she became a Jr. Prefect, almost all of this aide ceased. While I do understand that there are responsibilities outside of chat of chat for staff members, this made it clear that this player only wanted power or the position and was helping extensively to try to gain brownie points and develop her application, not actually to help new players, meaning the behavior was somewhat fake.
Definitely. I've seen this phenomenon many times myself. It is quite sad that people are eager to help until they gain a position where they are supposed to help. However, some of this problem might be caused by staff answering tickets instead of in-chat questions.

A player will immediately tell another to "ask in /ch qc" but will not helped them with their riddle. This is a problem.
This is something I do a lot, and now I understand the fault of it. I think many players, including myself, are too lazy to help, and just send that message to keep global free of clutter. Another big part of new players' confusion from my point of view is the number of chats. There are so many, which means that the player doesn't know where to say what. I think it would be very beneficial if a few of the chats were removed and replaced with a "Help Channel". This help channel would make quests obsolete. Roleplay could be merged with global, because roleplays aren't very popular, and can just use party chat when talking with each other. I'm not even sure of the point of House Chats, because almost no one uses them, and they just further confuse newer players. The Hourglass chat is also rarely used, and I'm not quite sure why it was even added in the first place. If all of these chats were removed, it would result in just Global, Local, Games, Trade, Party, and Help which I believe would be much more manageable for newer players.

The next large issue I encountered was a great deal of favoritism. Though PW tried to present itself as a totally objective, unbiased server base, this was not the case. Usually acts of favoritism were just small acts, but these small acts added up and really tore down other players. For example, I was warned by a staff member for calling a player "icky," which is obviously a crude, facetious joke satirizing how toddlers offend each other, but then when paying donors and other staff members call each other or other players "stinky," it is totally justified as "just a joke," yet these two concepts are almost identical in joke structure and severity of offense, which is very, very little.
I like the example you gave of staff being able to say stinky, but players get in trouble for saying icky. In fact, I've seen staff use words that many would consider fairly severe (the "d" and "h" words), that I personally would never consider saying. I know that this is supposed to be a family-friendly server, but I think even toddlers have heard the words stinky, icky, and smelly before.

The next issue I noticed mainly arose from players who were not staff but had been on the server for several years. A lot of discussion on PW is exclusionary of those not deemed elite players. Many new players tried to create conversations that were easily shut down or belittled because they were unspokenly deemed un-elite.
I sort of agree with your assessment, but I don't think all long-time players are part of the "elite". I've been playing for over 4 years, but I wouldn't consider myself part of that group. Many people who have been playing for a long time wouldn't be considered this either. I agree with your point of the same group of players dominating chat. But I think this is caused less by those players being part of the elite and more them being the most active players. However, elitism does exist and is a problem.

I remember that back when dueling arenas were open to anyone, one group of elite duelists would come and interrupt my duels constantly. They would always kill me and the person I was dueling with without hesitation, but God help you if you attacked them while they were dueling. I know that by being in that arena you agreed to duel, but this was just straight bullying in my opinion.

In addition, dueling tournaments are usually won by the same few people who just sort to different houses. I know that there isn't really anything wrong with this, but it just further alienates the elite from regular players.

Once again I would like to thank you for making this post. I hope that my feedback can give you another perspective on it.

Erin

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: Serinades
Auralock Dark Follower Raven VIP SPEW
Hello there Brendan!

Thank you for bringing up your concerns here. Constructive criticism and feedback is always welcome here. Being in community management, it’s our job to address any questions or concerns that you may have. So basically we’ll address your points here and further expand.

To start off, when it comes to your point about us ignoring messages asking for help, that is most certainly never our intention. Our main goal as staff is to help you out in whatever way possible. Now sometimes these messages may get lost in chat if it happens to be going fairly quick or a player may respond to a question before we have the ability to, but we do want to let you know that we’d never ignore our players. We know the server can be confusing at first, but we do our best to make you comfortable playing!

Moving on to your concerns about helping out of obligation/for power, we think you may have come across it in the wrong direction? Players help out others because they enjoy or have an interest in doing so. As a jr. prefect, this obligation doesn’t change. Helping out in chat is still required and essentially, it’s done out of having a good heart. With Erica, she’s still helping out players massively, just some things may be behind the scenes of which regular players cannot see. With asking for help for riddles and being directed to /ch qc, we just want to make sure that these sort of things are being put in the right chats so that they can be seen. Many of our staff members aren’t necessarily good at riddles, so the best thing we can do is direct players to this chat so that someone else can help out!

When it comes to favoritism, we apologize that this “icky” situation happened. Again, we are always working on becoming the best that we can, so reporting instances like these help us to become better. Regarding favoritism when it comes to classes and grading, several factors come into place here. Quality vs quantity being one of them. It’s not always based on the number of pages you have, but rather the quality and detail of what’s inside. Each class helper is different, but there is a general guideline to grading that would prevent favoritism from happening. It wouldn’t be acceptable for them either to be grading based on whether or not it was their friend. They are trained to not grade in favor of friends, but rather upholding the guidelines that I mentioned. If you do have concerns about any of the academics members, feel free to contact the Head of Academics which is Aria.

Regarding friend groups and discussions in global, there’s always usually a conversation or two happening here. Chat moving too fast can come into play on why someone trying to start a conversation may have not been heard. We don’t think that these players have any malicious intent by “ignoring” these players however. It doesn’t matter at the end of the day whether or not you are staff, non staff, an old player or a new player. Everyone is included here on Potterworld. When it comes to roleplay families, these families are created typically based on friendships or whatnot. Some may be limited to friend groups, but it ultimately depends on the family itself and factors such as whether or not the family is even active. Again, it’s more just for having fun and not to hurt others. We see where you are coming from, but the intent of others isn’t to exclude others.

Closing this with your last point here about topics regarding society. As you may already know, Potterworld is a family-friendly server. It’s a place that allows others to escape the real world and to just have fun. Many of our players are quite young and these topics are not something they should be exposed to as they can be quite sensitive. Everyone also has their own opinion on matters which can cause a lot of controversies and arguing and that’s not what this server is meant for. There’s no denying that what is going on in the world is relevant, but to avoid offending others and starting arguments, we wish to keep this out of Potterworld.

Thank you again for addressing your concerns and we hope that this clears up any confusion that may have been had.

Community Management Leadership Team

Somnambulist

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Psycho
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
A player will immediately tell another to "ask in /ch qc" but will not helped them with their riddle. This is a problem.
I see this often and they're likely doing it to moderate chat channels, but in the end they're not obligated to help with the riddle itself. But you're right, sometimes the player that redirects them to "ch qc" doesn't often follow through with helping the person that asked for quest help.

For example, I was warned by a staff member for calling a player "icky," which is obviously a crude, facetious joke satirizing how toddlers offend each other, but then when paying donors and other staff members call each other or other players "stinky," it is totally justified as "just a joke," yet these two concepts are almost identical in joke structure and severity of offense, which is very, very little.
I have noticed that staff and players will sometimes call each other "smelly" in chat, but as a regular player on the server, I would assume that they're joking and saying it in jest. Although, new players may not get that first impression and think that staff and players were being rude to each other. I would expect that the professionalism and maturity requirement for staff would fall under this, but maybe there's some sort of tolerance for calling people "smelly" on the server?

aaron ♡

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Aarooncia
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Vampire Werewolf
I've taken a little while to skim through these posts, and I've seen a few things that I agree with, and disagree with. While I may not be a staff member I do think it's important to remember staff members are not robots; they are not online 24/7 and cannot address a concern at an instant in that given moment. I've been there, it's definitely annoying when you're asking for help and your issue is left unaddressed, but it's important to take perspective. Perspective wise, it's safe to say that if you see a player breaking the rules or acting inappropriately in chat, within a reasonable time frame, staff members are most likely dealing with this. As I said, I am not a staff member myself but I do know what it's like (having past experience)

The one point you mentioned that really intrigued me was the friendly banter-like actions of calling someone smelly, stinky, yucky, etc. I've also been warned by a staff member before, and was quite confused as to why as five or so minutes before that I had seen that person use this banter-like chatting themselves. I think the main thing to remember is (as this is definitely a commonly used line) that it's best that the person you're talking to is someone you have a semi-strong relationship with and where they won't feel awkward. Coming from my own perspective, if we can't handle being called smelly, or take offense, we definitely won't make it through 2020. When we say this we are not being disrespectful, or have intentions to hurt anybody. It's something we pick up when we see it used by others. Personally, I think we should take a minute to think whether the person who just called us stinky or smelly meant it to hurt us. When I was informed, it was classified as "staff disrespect" which I personally found over the top and mistaken. If this kind of thing does happen, just apologize and try to make amends; if you're confident that you had no intentions to hurt anybody, that should be all you need for satisfaction and just move on.

Honey_Dwarf1

Archivist
Minecraft IGN: Honey_Dwarf1
Phoenix Raven
I think it has something to do with trust. I'm not certain, but I think the reason that some people are warned and others are not depends on whether or not the staff know that they are joking. With some players, like staff members and well known players, everyone knows them well enough to know that they are joking. However with new players, staff can't be certain, so they take the 'better safe than sorry' approach.
Or at least that's what I think.

coldplanet

New Magician
Staff
Minecraft IGN: coldplanet
Staff Phoenix Raven
I seriously respect you for making this post because I’ve experienced a lot of the same issues, and never really said anything about it. Specifically, on the topic of feeling excluded, I feel like I can add a bit to the table— it’s one of my biggest problems with the server. I’ve been on the server for a few years, and for most of that time I’ve felt disconnected/unwanted. I was too scared to ask questions or ask for help or even speak in chat (which is definitely a personal issue, but the atmosphere only worsened it) and although I don’t think it’s the intention of most players to make the community seem exclusive, it can definitely feel that way. Recently I’ve met some nice people and at a certain point a few months ago I started feeling a lot more comfortable on the server, but I had a lot of negative experiences that shouldn’t have needed to happen, in order to get to that point.
When qb first came out, I remember that during one of my first games when I was able to play searcher (I wanted to try out all the roles) a more well known player said something along the lines of, like, “ew, that person is searcher” which completely humiliated me (I didn’t really know who they were so it wasn’t banter or anything, I think, I’m still not sure if they meant for that to be a private message?) and made me lose interest in the server for at least a few months. I don’t think that’s a thing that happens to most people, but it took the cliquey impression I had of the server and made it x3 worse.
As of right now pw is one of my favorite servers, and it’s a really nice break from a lot of the toxicity that other servers I’ve played on tend to have, but it’s upsetting that there are other people who feel unwelcome. One of my favorite past times on the server is to chill in the great hall and play music on the ocarina, and it’s led to me meeting a lot of people on the server, and also a lot of newer players, who I really enjoy making conversation with in local chat :D I agree with most of the other points, but I think the people above me have already addressed those well, so I won’t repeat what’s already been said. “UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH” was a super memorable name and you seemed like a chill person (I specifically remember that whenever you asked a question and got replies, the people answering your questions addressed you as “ugh” which made it sound like they were complaining while answering the question- I don’t know if that was just me who found that funny lmao). Anyways, a lot of the issues you mention aren’t entirely exclusive to pw, but I hope pw does what it can do address them,
and seriously considers the issues this thread addresses.

Nyn

Professor
Minecraft IGN: xNyn
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
This post has a lot of true statements in it, and I certainly agree with most of them. I know some a lot of people have similar opinions but do not express their thoughts in fear of punishment, which - considering this is a family-friendly server and all-inclusive, is not a good thing.

"A player will immediately tell another to "ask in /ch qc" but will not helped them with their riddle."
I have certainly done this myself. As Nathan said: "Thank you for opening my eyes!"

"I was warned by a staff member for calling a player "icky," which is obviously a crude, facetious joke satirizing how toddlers offend each other, but then when paying donors and other staff members call each other or other players "stinky," it is totally justified as "just a joke,""
I've experienced this once or twice, however this was a while ago. I was once muted for spamming before and I felt it was invalid. I was talking to 2-3 people at a time (occasionally someone else would hop in and out of the conversation) so of course I was chatting a lot, but that's what Global chat is for, right? I was muted for "spam" a couple minutes after I finished the conversation, and got a message from a Prefect saying not to spam. I said to them that I hadn't, and asked when. They simply replied with something a long the lines of: "a head staff told me you were spamming". This is entirely untrue and it really annoyed me. I am more than willing to accept when i have done something wrong, but I do not believe I had this time. This (like your point above) was ridiculous.

I hope the above was okay to say, but I felt it should be said as chatting to people is the point in having a global chat

However, when she became a Jr. Prefect, almost all of this aide ceased. While I do understand that there are responsibilities outside of chat of chat for staff members, this made it clear that this player only wanted power or the position and was helping extensively to try to gain brownie points and develop her application, not actually to help new players, meaning the behavior was somewhat fake.
There are some things about Potterworld that do need to be addressed, but there is also a lot of good things! Sometimes it's hard to see the good if there's bad, but there is good! Yes, some people may only help as it will help with a staff application, however, there are also people who just do it because they are helpful and nice people!

As a non-staff player, I do not know about what is happening behind the scenes. They could be trying hard to fix these issues. But as Potterworld continue's to have these issues, a lot of players may become put off. The Revelius update will bring a lot of new features, and I am very "optimistic" about this update. Maybe once the transition is complete, the server can focus on any staff issues and issues that you have covered, and fix them. Or, at least, I hope they try too. Realising there is a problem is the first step to fixing it.

Last edited:

ThatGuyFire

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: ThatGuyFire
Serpent
I just got perm banned for one quote and i know its contreversial but me and my crew were advertising for the hunt w that phrase just one time and I got perm banned I really love this server and I applied to be unbanned yesterday :(