DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

The Daily Diviner - Issue 45

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Mental Wellbeing During School
Feature
Written by joyellen
Edited by bluecherub

Hello, wonderful readers! Welcome back to Issue 45 of the Daily Diviner. In this article, we will be discussing the importance of taking care of your mental health, especially during the new school year. I will share some of my favourite tips and tricks that will help ensure your school experience this year is happy and healthy! I will also be discussing what mental health and mental health awareness is, including some resources at the end for further research. Without further ado, let’s jump straight into the article!

What is mental health, and how can you be aware of it?

Mental health encompasses our emotional and social well being. It can affect our everyday life and behaviour, since our mental wellbeing is primarily responsible for how we act, feel, and think. Mental health is something that every single person has to take care of and is affected by, as it influences us from early childhood well into late adulthood! It is completely normal for your mental health to fluctuate during school, which is why it is important to understand what mental health awareness is when going into the new school year.

Being aware of our mental health can be challenging, especially with the chaos and busy-ness that school brings along with it! However, being aware of our mental health can be as simple as taking the time to step back and trying to recognise what our current emotions are, while also thinking about why we might be feeling that way. By actively practicing awareness of our current emotions, being aware of our mental health will become habitual, and we will be able to quickly understand the reasons why we are feeling this way!

It can be daunting to be openly aware of your mental health while also trying to take care of it. However, the effort you put into taking care of your mental health is extraordinarily courageous and brave! It can be hard during the school year to maintain your mental health with deadlines and homework piling up to prevent you from working on yourself. However, I have some mental wellbeing tips to help you out!

Mental wellbeing tips for school!

These are just some of my favourite mental wellbeing tips that you can follow during the school year.
  • Exercise regularly and stay hydrated- It has been proven that exercising regularly and staying hydrated can make you feel better and more energetic! I suggest joining a sports club or going out to exercise with friends during the school year.
  • Spend time with your friends or family- Spending time with your friends, whether from school or elsewhere, can be largely beneficial to your happiness and general wellbeing!
  • Talk openly about your feelings- Talking to somebody, whether it be a school counsellor or a friend, about your feelings and struggles can definitely be a cathartic experience, especially if you are going through tough times.
  • Take study breaks- Study breaks are immensely important! They provide a way for your brain to rejuvenate when taking on a heavy workload. It has been shown that taking study breaks is both beneficial for effective study and mental wellbeing!
  • Stick to a reasonable sleeping routine- Sleep is extremely important, especially during your school year. It makes sure that we can concentrate on our school work, while also keeping us healthy and energetic!
  • Manage your time well- Time management is also a very important behaviour to adopt during the school year. It helps us manage our workload and prevents us from becoming overwhelmed and stressed! Some ideas for time management include keeping a calendar that keeps track of your assignments and deadlines and having a schedule where you can designate study breaks and time for relaxation.
  • Partake in activities that make you feel good about yourself- Doing activities that you enjoy is a great way to take care of your mental health! I suggest joining school clubs that centre around things that you are passionate about or taking up a new hobby!
  • Take breaks from technology and social media- Spending a large amount of time on technology can be detrimental for our mental health; therefore, taking breaks from it is highly recommended. I suggest going out with some of your school friends or going outside for a breath of fresh air, which has also been proven to help give people energy and a clearer mind- perfect for studying!
  • Acknowledge and understand that some days are going to be tough on your mental health, and that’s okay. However, it is also important to reach out and seek help if you are struggling to take care of yourself and your mental health. There are numerous resources out there that can provide a helping hand if you are going through tough times!

Mental wellbeing resources:

Provided below are some resources you can use if you are struggling. Please note that this is not a fixed list, and that there are numerous mental health resources out there if you need further information or help!

This brings us to the end of this article! I want to once again mention the importance of mental health and wellbeing going into this new school year. You are not alone and help is always available! I wish you all the best of luck for school and hope this article has been helpful. Thank you so much for tuning in to this issue. This has been Joy, reporting for the Daily Diviner; have an amazing day!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Developer Applications
Editorial
Written by ohKeira
Edited by LittleI

Hello everyone, and welcome back to this Editorial Column for the Daily Diviner! As many of you have seen, after 5 years Developer, or Dev Applications, are finally back open! I know a lot of people have been wondering, ‘Why did the applications suddenly open up?’ We will be discussing this, as well as getting some of the members of the team’s thoughts about the situation.

You may have heard in the last editorial that Deniz stepped down from Head of Community Management and passed the torch over to Erica. He also announced that he would be becoming the Co-Head of Technology and Development with Alexis. Shortly after that, on August 16th it was publicly announced that, for the first time in 5 years, Dev Applications would be re-opening.

Knowing that Deniz recently joined Alexis as Co-Head, a few things could be made from this, maybe they needed more support on the team? Or perhaps, there could be some big plans for the future of Potterworld as a whole. Since nothing is confirmed at this moment, all we can do is wait for future announcements!

To see what other players think about the applications re-opening, I interviewed two members of the Development Team, Joshios, and Teheeo!

What name do you go by, and what is your position on the Dev Team?
Joshios: My name is Joshua, but you can call me Josh if you want, and I'm a Jr. Developer & Jr. Engineer on Potterworld's Development team. As a Jr. Developer, I am one of the active maintainers of our discord bot, and I also have been working on minigames. As a Jr. Engineer, I work on Magic, and Mobs which you can see throughout the world, in events, and for various other things.

Teheeo: My name is Harrison, and I am a Development Intern specializing in Web Development. My work consists of adding to and maintaining the website that the staff team uses for creating their quests, GUIs, and all the other exciting world content you see in-game.

What are your thoughts on the Developer Applications opening back up after 5 years?
Joshios: I am super excited about the Dev applications opening back up. Currently, our team is small, so it would be great to see people join our team.
Teheeo: I think it is an exciting opportunity for all that the development team has opened up. It means we can welcome fresh ideas, perspectives, and faces to our very small technology and development team.

How do you think this will affect the community, and server as a whole?
Joshios: More developers allow for plenty of things! Although I'm not sure how it will affect the server specifically, I know new people joining will be great for Potterworld and will allow us to get things done quicker.
Teheeo: From my position as a web developer, a lot of it will never be known to players, however, from a staff perspective, this will make it easier and smoother for them to create content. In return, it will improve the quality of the content you all see. From a development perspective in general, with the introduction of Java Developers, we can expect to see some new party game modes coming soon. So if you're interested in creating some party games, and you know Java and Spigot, I would highly recommend checking out the Java Developer application.

How will the team move on in the future, and what can you tell us about what we should look forward to?
Joshios: I'm currently focusing on some of our more popular public minigames, such as Party Games and Quabbleball. We recently sent out a feedback form for both of these games, which will be helpful for my work. Thank you, everyone, for filling that out and giving us criticism!
Teheeo: If I told you what was to come, I would have to then cast Oblivium on you!

Do you have any final comments/and or things to add?
Joshios: I highly recommend applying for the team if you have the skills required. You will learn so much and get to collaborate with some great developers who have built up Potterworld to where it is today!
Teheeo: Not at this time, although, perhaps a quick side note to apply for Grounds Keeper! It doesn't involve coding, but you'll get a chance to test a lot of the new features that may or may not be coming soon (such as new Party Games).

A huge thank you to Joshios and Teheeo for taking the time to answer some questions about the Developer Applications. With the applications re-opening and Deniz joining Alexis as Co-Head, I am super excited to see how Potterworld will continue to expand. If you want to apply for Java or Web Developer, you can find the links here. Thank you, everyone, for tuning in to this Editorial Column this is Keira signing off!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Potterworld Arena Discord
Editorial
Written by mckennq
Edited by LittleI

Hello readers, and welcome back to the Daily Diviner's Editorial column! Last month, Potterworld saw a new arrival: the Art Discord, a server for both students and members of the Media and Build teams to show off their wonderful works of art. During the Game Design Q&A, the arena team announced that they'd release a similar server, but instead for the Arena aspect of Potterworld! On August 13th, this server became a reality, with the announcement of the Arena Discord!

The Arena Discord is full of new and old duelists and flyers, along with members of the Arena team who are in charge of moderating the server and providing a fun experience for students! Its purpose is to not only serve a large community full of challenge-goers but to shine a light on the dueling and flying aspects of Potterworld, which can sometimes easily get overlooked. In short, I think that the server is a great addition, which encourages players to start attending challenges and tournaments more often. It provides a place for people interested in both dueling and flying to discuss things like gear, dueling strategies, and more!

There are many channels on the Arena Discord that have different purposes. Among the Arena Discord’s unique channels include the #challenge-updates channel and the #need-team channel. For starters, the #challenge-updates channel has a similar function to the Potterworld Discord’s own #class-updates channel. When a surprise or scheduled challenge is upcoming, a reminder will be sent to the channel 10 minutes beforehand so that you have time to log on and participate! The #need-team channel seems to be a favourite amongst many of the community, and whenever someone requires a team for a challenge or tournament, they can use this channel to find one. I find this channel extremely beneficial because it is easier than advertising in-game!

To gather player’s thoughts and opinions on the new Arena Discord, I interviewed Sorcellerie (Expert Magiventologist, Arena Squire, Jr. Architect, Arithmancer) and iSpitLikeALlama (Graduate student).

What are your overall thoughts on the Arena Discord?
Sorcellerie: “I really like the Arena Discord. I think it's a great way for the community to come together and meet new people who share the same interests as them. This also allows us to better unify the dueling and flying communities.”
iSpitLikeALlama: “The Arena Discord is a cool idea and a good space to talk with others in the community, but in my opinion, doesn't have a big purpose that the Potterworld Discord doesn’t give.”

Has the Arena Discord made it easier to discuss challenges and tournaments? How so?
Sorcellerie: “The Arena Discord has made it easier to discuss challenges and tournaments because it connects the players to the Arena team and the community as a whole. This allows them to ask questions, find information on Arena, and they can get notified when challenges and tournaments occur.”
iSpitLikeALlama: “The Arena Discord gives a specific place to talk with the community, including channels to talk with other tournament champions and find teams for challenges. I like it, but it's not very active.”

What’s your favourite part of the Arena Discord server?
Sorcellerie: “My favourite part of the Arena Discord is the team finding aspect. I really like how players are now able to easily ask if anyone is willing to help them in challenges and tournaments. I really love team-oriented gameplay, and this definitely expands on that with the Arena team and it gets newer members of the community involved.”
iSpitLikeALlama: “My favourite part is the champions channel which only champions can see and speak in.”

Do you enjoy dueling or flying more, and why?
Sorcellerie: “I prefer flying mostly because I am really bad at dueling, but I do want to practice and improve my dueling skills. I find it very fascinating how the meta can change and how people are very devoted to being duelists.”
iSpitLikeALlama: “I enjoy flying more because it came much more naturally to me. I love the unique maps for each race, rather than the one map per challenge for dueling. It makes challenges much more interesting and unique.”

I’d like to thank Sorcellerie and iSpitLikeALlama for taking the time to tell us about their thoughts on the new Arena Discord. As we can see, the Arena Discord seems to be a new favourite amongst challenge-goers and has already started to benefit the dueling and flying communities! I encourage you to check out the server for yourself and try out a challenge or two. This has been McKenna writing for the Daily Diviner, have a magical day!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Niko’s Knick-knacks
Student Spotlight
Written by Creme_de_Creme
Edited by mckennq

Hello lovely readers, and welcome back to the Student Spotlight section of the Daily Diviner! Our previous issues have starred various members of roleplay, devoted collectors, business owners, and more! This week, I had the privilege to interview niknok_ about their hat collection.

What is your IGN & what nickname/name do you go by?
My current IGN is niknok_, and my nickname on PW is Niko Delvaux. I go by Niko.
What house are you in and what allegiance/club (if any)?
I'm in Badgers, and I'm a part of the Vampires and Dark Followers.

What year are you on the server?
I'm a graduate.

What is your favorite quest or event and why?
My favorite event would be the Winter Waltz. It was one of the first events I remember doing and having a lot of fun with my friends! I got lost in the Santa's Workshop maze too many times.

How many hats do you currently have?
I currently have 66 hats.

For those of you who are consistently looking for ways to enhance your experience on server, try dressing in a magical skin combined with a Potterworld hat! We have a total of 108 hats currently in our store (not including the new releases), and using one with your skin can help you express yourself and show off your style to others. It's also a great way to dress with the season, whether it be Spring, Summer, Halloween, or even Wintertime!

Why did you start collecting hats?
I started collecting hats after I met a friend, Little, and noticed that he had more hats than me. I wanted to pass him, so I started collecting.

What was your most recent hat purchase?
My most recent hat purchase would be the Green Hatter Top Hat and the Dragon Wings & Hat combo.
Do you have any plans to buy more hats? If so, which one will you buy next and why?
I plan on buying more hats in the future. I currently want to get the Electric Ears next because of an inside joke with my friends, Ryu and Mia.

What is your favorite hat and why?
My favorite hat would be the sunglasses! It reminds me of my family, Delvaux, because we all wear it and it looks cool too.

While there may already be 108 hats in the store right now, new additions are released every month! Some hats are released for a limited time only, so it's important to consider what hats you want and see yourself wearing in the future.

Is there a hat that can only be won from events or comps that you don't have yet, but want?
One of the hats I wanted was the Droobledoll hat, from the writing competition I think? But I got too lazy to write something.

There are some hat styles that Potterworld has not yet thought about making. If you have an idea for a hat style that you think you and other players would love, try suggesting it on the Potterworld forums! We’re always looking for new ideas to improve the server, along with player feedback.

Are there any hats that are not currently available that you would want to see added to the store?
I would really like to see the NPC's cap be available on the store.

I would like to thank Niko for their time and for sharing their hat collection with us. You too can view the different Potterworld hats on our store website! If you aren’t sure how they would look on your skin, there is an in-game store where you can try on hats before purchasing, and, even if you don’t feel like purchasing anything, you can put on a fashion show with your friends! For a sneak peak at the future additions to the store, join Potterworld’s Art Discord. Have a great day and don’t forget to wear your hat! This has been Creme_de_Creme reporting for the Daily Diviner.

Last edited:

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Favourite Towns and What Yours Means
Lifestyle
Written by bea_5OOOO
Edited by _xHope

Hello fellow readers and welcome back to the Daily Diviner lifestyle column! As many of you may know, there are plenty of towns across the Potterworld map, and of course this means that players end up picking out their favorite. This leads us to an important question; What does your favourite magical town say about you? So to find out, today I’ve compiled a list containing a few towns scattered across the map, and what they say about you, so sit back, relax and I’ll explain more about your favorite town!

Portstead

First up we have Portstead, a smaller town located in the south right by the sea. This town is mostly made up of blacksmiths and fishermen. If you like Porstead best, then you’re a person with patience, you’re willing to calmly wait for good things to come. Additionally, you’re also a caring and kind individual who’s not afraid to share their findings with others.

Squalus Cove

Another magical town we’ll be going over today is Squalus Cove. Squalus Cove is located near the west coast. It’s mostly known for it’s high crime rates. If you like Squalus Cove best, then you’re definitely an adventurous person, who’s always keen to undergo any form of action. You tend to dive headfirst into things, and will gladly put up a fight to help your friends.

Tristmoor

The next magical town we’ll be discussing is Tristmoor, a small town located in the south. If Tristmoor happens to be your favorite town, you’re most likely a rather helpful individual, who’s willing to lend a helping hand, most of the time! However, you’re also likely to be a quiet individual, who definitely takes a while before being able to jump right into things.

Wightwaye

The final town we’ll be going over today is, Wightwaye! Wightwaye is one of the tinier towns on our list, located in the forest, and near the south coast. If you’re a fan of Wightwaye you’re likely to be a tree-hugger, who quite enjoys nature and it’s beauty! You’re also a friendly person, and will often easily click in with people.

In summary, in this article, we covered four of the many towns in the PotterWorld Map: Portstead, Squalus Cove, Tristmoor, and Wightwaye, and what they say about you. However, let’s not forget that there are plenty of other magical towns across the map, these were just a few that were chosen to go over in this issue! So, what do you think? Was your favourite town right about your personality? I hope you all enjoyed this edition of the Daily Diviner lifestyle section, until next time dear readers!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
The Many Uses of First-year Spells
Lifestyle
Written by Silquer
Edited by snotflower

Hello all of you wonderful readers, and welcome to the second Lifestyle article of this issue! A lot of us, including me, are long past our First-year days and have moved on to bigger and better spells. Today, we’re going to take a look at some of these old spells and put them to good use! If you’re still a First-year, then this article is the perfect place to find the best non-combat uses for your spells. If you’re not a first year, you finally get to dust off those level 1-10 spells and find a fun and practical use for them after so long.

The first spell, and one many are familiar with, is Flipellius. This jinx is unlocked at level three and sends the target flying backwards into the air with a powerful push. However, this spell isn’t just for combat; it can also be used for a prank. Pull off a harmless heist in class by using Flippellius on a friend’s paper during a test. Make sure you aren’t caught! Another useful application of this spell is to use it to close doors. If you’re as lazy as I am, or perhaps have your hands full with books, Flipellius is a quick way to close a door. If you're extra lazy, you can try opening doors with the spell as well. Flipellius is certainly useful for more than just duels.

The next spell is Levosus. This jinx, like Flipellius, launches a target upwards and is unlocked at level eight. Levosus may seem rather useless; after all, an opponent can easily counteract the fall with Resistomentum, but there is actually a fun way to use this spell! Grab a friend and use this jinx to climb up to the very top of the moving staircases. If you’re late for class or need to ascend the stairs in a hurry, this is the perfect solution. Another fun option with a friend is to use Levosus on a small piece of food, such as a grape or a cracker, and see if they can catch it in their mouth! Not so useless of a spell now, huh?

The third spell is Ignis. Ignis is a transfiguration spell that shoots a cone of fire out from your wand. It’s unlocked at level three, and can also be useful in combat, much like Flipellius. However, Ignis can also be more practical. For example, if you can get your hands on the ingredients, you can bake a cake or treat in the castle halls! Just make sure to stay away from paintings and tables. Another fun take on this spell is to set off fireworks in the Great Hall Courtyard. Students will surely love you for this, professors, not so much. But fear not! You can ignite the fireworks from a distance. That way, you won’t be caught. Good luck trying these fiery tricks.

Then, there’s Vermillio. Vermillio is a level one spell that shoots off a small spark, and has more uses than you’d think! If you’d rather avoid the possibility of getting in trouble with a professor by setting off a live firework, but still want to give your classmates a cool show, Vermillio is perfect. In the hands of any student, this spell can be used to make a custom fireworks display. As long as it’s done far away from the castle, there should be no problem. On the other hand, you could also use this spell to light a small campfire in the castle halls and enjoy a secret, cozy party with friends. Make sure to keep a water spell handy, though.

The final spell is Aquatimentum. This is a level seven charm that conjures a stream of water and is used primarily for combat. However, a fun alternative is to use this spell for a game of tag on a hot day! It’s perfect to play when the classrooms get too hot, and it’s also a great way to cool off if there isn’t a lake or river nearby. Douse yourself with this spell, and you’re ready to lie in the grass and cool off. Enjoy using this charm!

In conclusion, First-year spells aren’t as useless as they might seem, even for older students. From Flipellius to Ignis, there are plenty of undiscovered uses. The joy of it is finding new tricks and practicalities. Get creative, and have fun!

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Delicious Delights From Around The World
Lifestyle
Edited by mckennq

Hello, readers! Welcome back to the Lifestyle column of the Daily Diviner. My name is Creme_de_Creme, and today we are going to look at some delicious magical and unmagical recipes from all over the world! Let me invite you on a journey as we discover some new foods together. Our first stop: Dormunstrad!

Dormunstrad is a wizarding school located in far Northern Europe. The weather there is cool in the summer and ice-cold in the winter. To help keep the students from freezing, the cooks serve a variety of warm, freshly-made foods such as tomato soup, honey-baked ham, turkey roast, cake, and apple pie. My personal favorites are the turkey roast and apple pie, which are both absolutely delicious! Thanks to the generosity of the lovely chefs at Dormunstrad, I was able to get the recipe for their scrumptious turkey roast and share it with you! This recipe should take about a minute to make. Here are the ingredients you will need: 1 raw meat, 1 pepper, 1 salt, 1 bread, 1 onion, and 1 celery. Start by heating the oven. Next, combine the bread, celery, onion, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and stir it together until well mixed. This will become your stuffing! Then, place your raw meat and add the stuffing inside. Once the meat is stuffed, cook the turkey in the oven until finished. After pulling the turkey out of the oven, let it cool before consuming. Enjoy!

Our next stop is the highlands of Scotland, where the famous wizarding school Hogsworth is located. In this corner of the world, you will find charming fizz cakes, dark-cocoacursed delights, and puffing pod fudge as some of the most common magical delicacies. As a summertime treat, I personally like binging on charming fizz cake! However, crafting the charming fizz cake is tricky business, and I recommend that you use a recipe book to bake this cake. The charming fizz cake can vary by tier, and a recipe book will tell you the difference between the tiered cakes and the ingredients you need to make them. When these different tiered cakes are consumed, they grant the witch or wizard anywhere between a 10% and 50% increase in charm damage, so keep that in mind while using any charm spells after eating these fizzy treats!

Now onto our last stop: Japan! While I was in Japan, I visited the Mahounoshiro School of Magic located in the southern part of Iwo Jima. Here, I learned about a special recipe that they make every year: spicy karaage. Karaage is a type of fried chicken that is traditionally made during Christmas time, but because of its ever-growing popularity, it is considered to be a commonly made dish at the Mahounoshiro School of Magic. Luckily, I was given permission by the school’s cooks to share the recipe with you! Here is a list of ingredients you will need: 1 oil, 5 marinated chicken legs, 1 bag of flour, 1 ginger, 1 garlic powder, 1 potato starch, and 1 curry powder. Start by heating the frying pan. Then, add the oil to the frying pan. While the pan is heating, combine the flour, ginger, garlic powder, potato starch, and curry powder. Next, roll the marinated chicken legs into the mixture to season the chicken. Then, add the seasoned chicken legs to the frying pan and cook ‘till finished. Enjoy the yummy food!

I hope you enjoyed traveling around the world with me! Keep an eye out for more delicious foods, and in the meantime, bon appétit! This has been Creme_de_Creme reporting for the Daily Diviner.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
The Drifting Trader
Original Works
Written by kvmw
Edited by snotflower

When Kieran first appeared along the outskirts of Wightwaye, people talked—about the navy blue cloak that hid his face, the dark glittering of his eyes, and the way he seemed to radiate the cold. He slept under a tree, never bathed, and only came out at night. Disgusting!

Keiran didn’t think this was fair. True, he slept beneath a tree (it was comfortable—and cheap!) and only came out at night (though he wasn’t sure the townspeople would like the reason any better), but he did bathe. It was just hard to tell since he never washed his cloak (he didn’t want to risk losing its mysterious blue).

Every night, he sat by the side of the road on a tattered blanket laden with goods. He’d heard rumors floating around town he was eager to learn more of, and his chance came one night when a man carrying a satchel stopped by his “shop” looking nervous. “G’evening,” he began. “Oddly chilly tonight, eh?”

“Good evening, Duncan,” Kieran replied. “Indeed, it’s a little cold.”

“You know my name?”

“Among many things.” He smiled. Like how you’re a forager returning from a night shift, here to buy a present for your son Charlie. And stuff not so benign, of course. But he didn’t want to scare his customer. “What would you like to trade?”

Duncan fidgeted. “Erm...I have some sticks here? Valuable wand wood, that stuff is. Might make you a solid gold if you’re lucky.”

“No, I don’t think so. Those sticks come from non-magical trees and on your way here, you planned on giving me those—to trick me, I suppose, since I am ill-versed in wandmaking.”

A wave of emotions passed over Duncan’s face—surprise, fear, and anger. “How dare you!” he roared. “I am an honest—”

“Now, now,” Kieran tutted, pulling out his wand. “Let us settle this like gentlemen. Tell me about the ghost that resides here, and you can have anything you’d like, free of charge.”

The man’s eyes darted around. “How do I know you’re not a cheat?”

“I could make you an Unbreakable Vow if you’d like.”

Duncan shuddered, and though still suspicious, he slowly began. “She lives somewhere near the statue in the middle of town—always wailing at night, making it impossible for any of us to sleep. They say it’s a little girl, but I haven’t ever seen her. That’s all I know.”

“That’s more than enough,” Kieran replied. He leaned down to pick up two items. One of them had two little flags at the tip, which spun as he handed them to the forager, while the other had the head of a carved wooden horse. “This here is called a scopperel,” he said, indicating the pinwheel-like item, “while this is a stick-horse. Let Charlie ride it around the town’s statue, alright? I’ll know if you don’t.”

Duncan took them but looked ready to argue. Kieran raised an eyebrow and waved his wand lazily. “Best be on your way, Duncan.” With a look of terror, the man fled.

Kieran laughed. It had just been Revelomency that allowed him to read Duncan’s thoughts, but he didn’t need to know that. He packed up his goods and lay down to sleep under a tree, just as the sun breached the horizon. It had been a productive night.

. . .​

It was always cold, but Kieran felt the temperature drop slightly. Something—someone, was approaching. “How may I help you?” he called.

There was no response.

He stood and lit his wand, raising it like a torch above his head. The thin rays permeated the fog, and—there. The fog shifted, parting to reveal a small girl, drifting towards him, her outline barely visible.

“Hello,” Kieran said.

“Hello,” the little girl said, quietly.

“What’s your name?” he asked, lowering himself to her level.

“Margaret.”

“It’s nice to meet you, Margaret. How can I help you?”

“Are you selling those?” She pointed towards a pair of toys, just like he’d sold to Duncan the day before.

He raised an eyebrow. “What will you give me in return?”

Margaret frowned, long strands of silver hair framing her face. “I have nothing to give. I have been dead for many years, and have no worldly possessions of my own. I would have offered you a place in my home, but alas, the villagers tore it apart a few weeks ago.”

“That’s quite alright. I am a trader, after all.” He picked up a pair of sticks—one a scopperel, and the other the horse. “In exchange for your company, you may have these.”

She tilted her head. “Are you so lonely as to wish for a ghost’s company?”

“Not at all,” Kieran said, smiling slightly. “I am never alone.” The sky had gotten a little brighter, he noticed: Margaret was starting to fade around the edges, and hints of cornflower blue were slowly permeating the deep, midnight blue of the sky.

From behind him, the shadows of the forest seemed to thicken, and a large mass of silvery-grey shades drifted forward, barely visible in the first rays of the morning sun.

“I leave at sunrise,” he said, offering the toys to Margaret. “Will you come with me?”

And as the sun rose in all its glory, she faded from view, with a final whisper of, “I will.”

He smiled. “Welcome to our group, Margaret.” With a wave of his wand, his goods were packed, and he ambled down the path from which he came, away from the town of Wightwaye.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
Competitive Cookie Contest
Original Works
Written by Silquer
Edited by kvmw

The kitchens were uncharacteristically loud for a day during summer break, though the abnormalities had begun with a bet the day before. There had been an argument, one thing led to another, and now three house elves, Kookie, Charm, and Holbey, were readying themselves to participate in a competition to make the best chocolate chip cookie.

As such, today was a bit different compared to other days off. To begin with, there was a crowd. Every Hogsworth house-elf had come to come to watch, forming a tight ring around the kitchen. The second strange thing was the tables. They were all prepped and primed for baking, when on any other day, they would be empty. And finally, there were three house elves standing in the middle of the clearing, staring each other down and waiting for the Head Chef to begin the competition.

“3… 2… 1… let the baking competition begin!” the Chef announced, and the three were off.

All three were experienced bakers, and had no trouble at all gathering what they needed. Brown sugar, eggs, vanilla... No, the problem arose when it came to the last ingredient: the chocolate chips. Unfortunately for the small elves, the best chocolate was at the very top of the shelf, and the worst at the bottom… they would have to fight tooth and claw to reach the top.

Kookie began the climb first, wrapping her small hands around the shelves above her and planting her bare feet firmly on the shelf wood. She began to climb, and Charm and Holbey followed closely behind.

She would not lose. Her cookies were the best; it was her name, for goodness sake!

However, Kookie’s head start and determination didn’t do much for her, as Charm overtook both of the elves and reached the best chocolate first. He let out a shout of glee and jumped back down, leaving Holeby and Kookie to grit their teeth and settle for the second best.

There was still time, Kookie assured herself, while Holbey just sighed.

The three hurried back to their tables, and began making the dough. They were efficient, and clearly experts at baking. The crowd of elves, while previously silent, had started gasping and admiring their finesse. It was a spectacular sight.

Soon, each elf was done, and they rolled the soft, gooey dough into balls and let them rest on parchment paper. The time to bake had begun. They each grabbed their pan and rushed to the already pre-heated furnaces, and all was going smoothly, until Kookie bumped into Charm.

The sheet clattered to the ground, and three balls of dough splattered to the ground, useless. The silence in the room was deafening as Charm’s face slowly grew redder.

“I’m sorry Charm, I really didn’t mean-”

“Lies!” Charm hissed, pointing a finger at Kookie. “I know what you’re up to. But you still won’t win!” With that, Charm picked up his sheet and shoved it into the furnace.

Kookie turned around and smiled to herself. Her plan to fluster Charm had worked perfectly. The house elf always got himself worked up, and his baking always suffered for it.

Holbey himself knew what Kookie was up to, and shook his head with a barely concealed smile. Seeing Charm annoyed was always fun to watch, even if it was unfair.

With all cookies safely in the oven (save for the sad three that had dropped on the floor), the only thing left to do was wait. Twenty-five minutes later, the cookies were done and plated. The Head Chef came out from the crowd and sat at the head table, with the three plates and three proud bakers before him, and ate each cookie.

Kookie was smirking. Charm was scowling. Holbey was internally grinning.

After tasting each cookie, the Chef sighed, and stood.

“Well,” he began, “each of you has crafted a delicious cookie. All of you are excellent bakers, and we’re lucky to have you. However… There is a clear winner.”

Each baker stood still, holding their breath. Then… “Holbey, step forward. You are our winner!”

The crowd of elves erupted into cheers, and Holbey turned to his fellow bakers and friends. “My reward, please,” he said smugly.

Kookie pouted, so Charm did the talking for her. “Yes, we’ll each cover one of your shifts. Happy?”

“Yep.”

And that was the end of the cookie bake-off, but if one listened carefully later that night, one could hear the three plotting a rematch. It was sure to be one to remember.

The Daily Diviner

New Magician
Staff
How to Begin Dueling with Transfiguration
Branches of Dueling
Edited by mckennq

Hello lovely readers, and welcome back to the Daily Diviner’s web-exclusive article! Last issue, we covered Curses. If you haven't read the last article yet, go read it now! If you are new to our “How to Begin Dueling” series, then start with our Charms article in Issue 42. This issue we will be covering Transfiguration!

What is Transfiguration? The Transfiguration spell branch is like the jack of all trades. It has some AoE spells, long distance spells, and spells you can use to summon creatures to fight for you! Some of the most common Transfiguration spells used include Aviforma, Incarcerum, and Devoronox.

While Aviforma might seem like a strange spell, for Transfiguration duelists it is very useful! The spell Aviforma summons chickens to fight for you. I mean, who doesn't love bringing an army of chickens into a duel? The more spell points you put into this spell, the more chickens it summons. When the spell points for Aviforma are maxed out, these chickens deal a significant amount of damage and succeed in distracting an opponent!

Incarcerum is another spell often seen in dueling, and comes in handy when stopping your opponent from casting spells. Casting Incarcerum binds your opponent with ropes, thus preventing them from casting spells and moving. This also can come in handy when you need time to heal yourself!

Another Transfiguration spell used is Devoronox. When you cast Devoronox, it launches a black hole into the area you casted it. Anyone in that area is then sucked into the black hole, unable to escape, and (unless they use Appareo) take damage until the spell ends. The more spell points you put into this spell, the longer it lasts and the more damage your opponent can take!

If you choose to main in Transfiguration, you’ll want to keep an eye out for gear with cooldowns. The current, most-recommended gear for Graduate students maining in Transfiguration damage are as follows:

Head: Soul-Seeing Spectacles
Glove: Conjurer’s Gloves
Body: Seared Vest of Valor
Trinket: Philosopher’s Stone Pendant
Leggings: Necromancer Belt
Boots: Aviary Boots of the Nest

For those of you looking for more insight on what it is like to be a Transfiguration duelist, I interviewed fobsux (Sr. Professor):

Why did you choose to use Transfiguration as a duelist?
I decided to use Transfiguration because I loved how unique and fun the spells were! Also, I didn't see many people utilizing Transfiguration spells and I was curious as to why.​

What is your favorite Transfiguration spell and why?
Aviforma! A lot of people underestimate and tend to not notice the chickens pecking at them, so they're often not quick to counter the spell. Also the chickens are very cute!​

Do you have a go-to combo?
I use Devoronox and Aviforma quite a bit! Devoronox does a lot of damage if they stay in it and, if they don't, the chickens are able to chase after them.​

What is something that you struggled with when learning how to duel?
One thing that I struggled with was switching my hotbar in the middle of the duel. It was hard to balance between casting, dodging, and trying to heal. Accessing another hotbar was something that was hard to find time for in a fast-paced duel!​

Do you have any advice for first-time duelists?
Keep practicing! Also, play around with your gear and spell trees! What works for one duelist may not work for you.​

I would like to thank fobsux for her time and insight into dueling with Transfiguration spells. Now that you know more about what Transfiguration is, and how to use them, make sure to practice! Check out Potterworld’s Arena Discord to find people to help you practice your dueling skills. This has been Creme_de_Creme reporting for the Daily Diviner, and happy dueling!

Status
Not open for further replies.