DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Warp (Hear me out pls)

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Hello!
Thanks for your suggestion! We are akways looking for new suggestions and feedback to improve our server.
I will now bring up your suggestion to the rest of the Poltergeist Team, so that we can discuss it and get back to you soon with a response.
Have a wonderful day!

Nyn

Professor
Minecraft IGN: xNyn
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I 100% agree!

I still have my Fireflash from before Revelius. This is the only reason I'm comfortable with exploring. If I did not have my broom I doubt I would leave the castle that much.

First of all, it would take AGES to get almost anywhere.
Second of all, I would probably die MANY times. Either from mobs, or fall damage. With a broom I am able to fly above them safely.

I understand why the staff team decided to make travelling like the way they have, but I have an issue with it.
Fire Dust is SUPER expensive. Luckily I have some gold, but I can't spend very much on Fire Dust.
As I said above (^), without my broom I doubt I would explore, as its faster (and safe from mobs!)

Travelling was made this way to encourage exploration. However, if anything I think (for new players, not necessarily older / higher lvl players!) it has discouraged exploration.

I understand that the staff think what they are doing is best for the server, and usually, it is. The staff team have added what they want to add, they never specifically asked us what the player base wanted. We have to wait until the update has been released / wait till information about the update is told to us. Only then can we really share our opinions on it. Sure we can give suggestions on the forums, but like I said, we can't do that until we know what is coming / is here.

Honey_Dwarf1

Archivist
Minecraft IGN: Honey_Dwarf1
Phoenix Raven
I agree that the new system seems to be discouraging people from exploring, especially because of how mobs can kill you, which then loses a lot of gear durability and forces you to pay more gold to fix it.

But I also think that potterworld, which advertises itself as an rpg/roleplay server, is discouraging roleplay. Making a player-made roleplay was hard enough before the update, because it involved advertising in roleplay chat a lot. However, it was easy to get to the locations, with places like the dwelling being on the warp key bags and free on fire dust. With the new update, players who want to roleplay in the dwelling would have the option of having a home set there, which would take up their only home, using fire dust, which would be expensive, or traveling there by foot/broom. I think that the number of roleplays that happen will decrease by a lot, especially since more skilled fighters tend to focus on specific goals and don't roleplay as much - so it is usually the players that don't want to fight mobs who roleplay. By having mobs everywhere, it makes it harder for people to roleplay because the mobs would get in the way.

Somnambulist

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: Psycho
Phoenix Raven Werewolf
I think it's a good idea to have Hogsworth as a permanent warp whilst enabling an extra warp for another town.

Also, one of the downsides with the updated warp system is that I noticed that I'm less likely to show new players where locations are. I used to do this often during pre-revelius and not so much. I also think it would be helpful if there were a few free warp areas within the Hogsworth school so new players would be able to find places easily. I have noticed that the Greenhouses, Library, and House Common Rooms are the most asked for locations and it's likely due to the quests for those areas.

Zadanthalion

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: ZADANeth
Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix
They definitly have to do something because the system right now does the opposite of what they say they were intending - getting new players and old players back to play and explore the world and its secrets.

Mallaidh

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: scarvlover
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Werewolf
This is how I thought it would be at first, was a bit disappointed finding out that's not what it is. Definitely agree here

ducknaps

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: ducknaps
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven
Okay, so I want to preface this with fact that I completely understand why transportation has been limited! I think it is a great way to promote exploration and force people to actually walk or fly places. I do have a suggestion though! I think that because a lot of players are struggling and getting frustrated with the travel, the limit should be changed to 2. I really like being able to set the warp, I think one of the warps should be able to be set. However, I think that the great hall warp, shouldn't be changed to that warp. I think that the great hall warp should be automatic for everyone. If you guys are adamant two off the bat is unnecessary, then maybe there should be a quest to gain the second. Where you have the great hall warp until you are able to complete the quest for the settable warp. This way, new players HAVE to explore the world before having two warps, but the players who have learned their way around the world and server, they can get a second warp that they could set to a place like, a town.
Thank you for reading my suggestion and let me know if you have any questions!
I didn't like the update too much. I think that's because I was inactive for a month or two and I came back to almost a different version of the server. Now though I really enjoy the exploration, I normally fly lower just to look around. It's annoying for roleplayers but it will just be something to adapt to. I think your idea is very good though. It will make things easier for new and old players alike.

Keira :D

Professor
Minecraft IGN: ohBelle_
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire
I was exploring the map, and set my spawn point to london by accident, so when I got lost, when I did /spawn, I went back to london, I wish that Hogswarth was a place where you could always warp too

I didn't like the update too much. I think that's because I was inactive for a month or two and I came back to almost a different version of the server. Now though I really enjoy the exploration, I normally fly lower just to look around. It's annoying for roleplayers but it will just be something to adapt to. I think your idea is very good though. It will make things easier for new and old players alike.
Gotta remember that a .% probably even have a broom. Sure it is fine for you as a older player (I obviously presume since the broom) to FLY around and explore. Not so much for new people or those who never got around to aquire a broom.

My belief is that new players want to EXPERIENCE the world right away, not having to grind before moving around to other parts. I would almost go as far to say that a proper Warping system is more imporant to new players than being able to even wield a wand. The ability to explore this amazing world at your own pace and liking is so important. The MMORPG part comes later when you wanna play this server to progress and learn new powerful and interesting spells. Exploring the world comes before playing the MMORPG, exploring in the sense of being able to quickly travel to and experience the iconic places. Not having to struggle for ages to find the path to Housekeepers Hut through Hogsworth add in all the backtracking in quests and it gets really tiresome and annoying. It might be more "realistic" or something but who are we kidding, how realistic is this blocky game afterall.

ducknaps

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: ducknaps
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven
Gotta remember that a .% probably even have a broom. Sure it is fine for you as a older player (I obviously presume since the broom) to FLY around and explore. Not so much for new people or those who never got around to aquire a broom.

My belief is that new players want to EXPERIENCE the world right away, not having to grind before moving around to other parts. I would almost go as far to say that a proper Warping system is more imporant to new players than being able to even wield a wand. The ability to explore this amazing world at your own pace and liking is so important. The MMORPG part comes later when you wanna play this server to progress and learn new powerful and interesting spells. Exploring the world comes before playing the MMORPG, exploring in the sense of being able to quickly travel to and experience the iconic places. Not having to struggle for ages to find the path to Housekeepers Hut through Hogsworth add in all the backtracking in quests and it gets really tiresome and annoying. It might be more "realistic" or something but who are we kidding, how realistic is this blocky game afterall.
You make a good point. This is just a blocky game after all. I found some backtracking in quests a good way of remembering a path to certain places. I do miss the old warp system and I think there should be a way to quickly travel to certain places in London or just any key location. I think the price of floo powder should be decreased. 10 floo for 50 gold doesn't seem worth it to me.

ThatPreston

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: ThatPreston
Honeybadger Dark Follower
I was just thinking this the other day. I have been in many situations where I would have benefited by setting my warp to somewhere other than Hogsworth, but I refrained because I don't want to fly all the way back. Whenever I find a new town I do all the quests in it, which requires me to constantly fly back to that specific town. A warp would solve this problem and wouldn't make it a chore to return to Hogsworth after I'm done exploring.

dorothycheung

Magician
Minecraft IGN: dorothycheung
Raven
However, even with these, you rarely can travel to far places like Seaside Cottage, Tristmoor, and Longbay Landing. Making one of these towns the second warp that you can have makes it easy to explore without the need to fly for 30 minutes (especially if you're bad at coordinates).
And especially I don't have a broom but still want to explore

dorothycheung

Magician
Minecraft IGN: dorothycheung
Raven
Another thing is about warp from housing. When I just recently warp somewhere and went to visit someone's housing, I have to wait like 8 min doing nothing stuck in someone else's or my own home. Also it warp to the central point of that town. If I am exploring I am actually discouraged from visiting other's or my own house. Please allow easier warp out from housing.

Nyn

Professor
Another thing is about warp from housing. When I just recently warp somewhere and went to visit someone's housing, I have to wait like 8 min doing nothing stuck in someone else's or my own home. Also it warp to the central point of that town. If I am exploring I am actually discouraged from visiting other's or my own house. Please allow easier warp out from housing.
You can actually exit somebody's housing through /worlds, this will tp u back to where u were before entering housing. I didn't realise this originally, and it is never explained. Thought it'd be helpful for u! <3

Aurora

Potterworld Legend
Staff
Minecraft IGN: Invisibilia
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Grounds Keeper Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf Wizencouncil Class Helper SPEW Sr. Prefect
Hello again,
Thank you for taking the time to make a suggestion, as well as discuss it intensely in this thread. We truly appreciate players taking the time to come forward with their ideas and opinions!
After discussing your suggestion, we have unfortunately come to the conclusion that this is not something we would like to implement. With our current map size and the way our current travel system works, we do not feel as though a second warp should be added. In our opinion, it would be too easily exploited by high-level players, and newer players would not be helped by this, who are the ones struggling the most. Generally it would also reduce the focus on exploration, which is something we would like to avoid. Therefore, we will not be implementing this, although we will be looking into possible alternatives and other methods.
Thanks again and have a wonderful day!

Nyn

Professor
Generally it would also reduce the focus on exploration, which is something we would like to avoid.
I would just like to point out how the MAJORITY (not everybody!) of people are complaining about the mass amounts of time getting from one place to another takes (or how expensive Fire Dust is!). There have been multiple threads about this and the staff still aren't following through with the multiple ways we have suggested on threads/replies. I'm not saying Aurora is wrong she is just stating what the decision is <3

nathan1e

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: nathan1e
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I would just like to point out how the MAJORITY (not everybody!) of people are complaining about the mass amounts of time getting from one place to another takes (or how expensive Fire Dust is!).
So... what exactly is your point? Do you feel like Aurora's explanation for declining this suggestion wasn't sufficient, do you just generally want to exclaim your disappointment for the decision or am I missing something else here? I don't feel like this remark adds a whole lot to this thread. Even if the majority of players complains about the new travel system, to what extent should that influence the decision to keep/remove said system?

Personally I think there has simply not been enough time for people to fully get used to this new way of travelling. Everyone is still freshly remembering how easy it used to be before the update, and comparing that to the way it is now without considering the context of the game, which has drastically changed over the update.

And who is to actually say that the majority of the people that play on PW dislike the new system? Have you gone and asked every single person on the server for their opinion on this new system? Remarks like that are always very sketchy to make, a big group of people that support an idea does not imply the majority of people supports the idea.

There have been multiple threads about this and the staff still aren't following through with the multiple ways we have suggested on threads/replies.
Again, what's the point? I could for instance say:

There have been so many threads and suggestions to ask for PW Survival to be brought back, but the staff still aren't doing it! OMG!

But it doesn't really add anything to any discussion or conversation. While some ideas may get a relatively large amount of support from the community, it will always happen that the staff team declines suggestions based on a multitude of reasons, ranging from "we have other priorities" to "this doesn't fit into the server" to "we're not capable of doing this". Does this mean the staff team doesn't like getting suggestions? No, it just means some suggestions will get declined regardless of its support.

Sorry, just felt I had to say that.

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: luckiestblock
Honeybadger
And who is to actually say that the majority of the people that play on PW dislike the new system? Have you gone and asked every single person on the server for their opinion on this new system? Remarks like that are always very sketchy to make, a big group of people that support an idea does not imply the majority of people supports the idea.
Just wanted to say that yes, a lot of the time "the majority" is hearsay and it is just manufacturing consent that often does not exist but for this I make a bit of an exception. A poll was done here that 25 non staff voted in and of those 12% said that they liked the fast travel system and 84% said they did not. Yes the language of the poll was off and you can say there was confirmation bias and silent majority, etcetera, but I don't think that a poll of that large sample size (for the server) can swing 34 points.

PS: A poll in America, where I live, for the presidential election usually contains about 2000 likely voters. For a country of over 300 MILLION that is 0.00067% of the population (if my maths are right). If we say that there are about 5000 at least semi active players (and that is really really generous) that is 0.5% of the population or 746.27 times the sample size per capita of a legitimate PRESIDENTIAL election poll used by the mainstream media.

nathan1e

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: nathan1e
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Just wanted to say that yes, a lot of the time "the majority" is hearsay and it is just manufacturing consent that often does not exist but for this I make a bit of an exception. A poll was done here that 25 non staff voted in and of those 12% said that they liked the fast travel system and 84% said they did not. Yes the language of the poll was off and you can say there was confirmation bias and silent majority, etcetera, but I don't think that a poll of that large sample size (for the server) can swing 34 points.

PS: A poll in America, where I live, for the presidential election usually contains about 2000 likely voters. For a country of over 300 MILLION that is 0.00067% of the population (if my maths are right). If we say that there are about 5000 at least semi active players (and that is really really generous) that is 0.5% of the population or 746.27 times the sample size per capita of a legitimate PRESIDENTIAL election poll used by the mainstream media.
Yeah okay that's fair, I didn't know that poll existed, thanks for linking it :)