DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Add a rule against multiple alts in classes, CEs, etc.

Ivan_

Professor
Minecraft IGN: _Navyy
Auralock Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
There is not a single reason why anyone should be able join classes, challenges, community engagements with 2+ accounts. Not only that those people can't physically be active on two accounts, it takes the space for other people (for example a CE just happened, it was full and many people didn't get in, but I saw at least 7 alt accounts there), but it also gives them a huge advantage (getting double the rewards for example).
I was told by several staff that they can't really monitor who's an alt or not, but that doesn't mean there shouldn't be a rule against it, and also it's usually pretty easy to assume who's an alt. There's a bunch of other rules that you can't really monitor either but they're still there, and people are following them for the most part. It came to a point where its abused a lot, from makings tons of gold to getting more HPs just for having extra accounts and I just don't see how that is allowed.

Last edited:

Honey_Dwarf1

Archivist
Minecraft IGN: Honey_Dwarf1
Phoenix Raven
i agree, particularly because there’s a limit on number of people in class. unfortunately, i can’t really see how it can be monitored because alts aren’t always obviously named and if staff checked ips, it could still be down to siblings at different computers, so i’m not sure how it would be done

Ivan_

Professor
i agree, particularly because there’s a limit on number of people in class. unfortunately, i can’t really see how it can be monitored because alts aren’t always obviously named and if staff checked ips, it could still be down to siblings at different computers, so i’m not sure how it would be done
Again, if it was against the rules, it doesnt matter if its easily monitored or not- most people would stop doing it. Like I said theres tons of other rules which also arent monitored easily but still they exist and for a good reason. Some people are perm banned and they could also use alts to join back - which is against the rules obviously. If it wasnt, people would abuse it a lot more.

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Minecraft IGN: TallBlondeDude
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire Werewolf
Alts already are not allowed at challenges. Adding this to community events also makes sense, but for classes sometimes its just not that big of a deal ex potions. I dont really do classes either way, so doesnt super matter to me, but at least outlawing them would be a first good step.

Ivan_

Professor
Alts already are not allowed at challenges. Adding this to community events also makes sense, but for classes sometimes its just not that big of a deal ex potions. I dont really do classes either way, so doesnt super matter to me, but at least outlawing them would be a first good step.
I didn't know about challenges, but that just proves my point. If they aren't allowed in challenges, why are they allowed in flying and dueling lol? About classes, sometimes they fill up the space like i mentioned before, but also another good example - They sometimes do backup classes and if you finish with the first one before the second one starts, you aren't allowed to attend that second one. I was personally kicked from several backup classes bc I attended the first one. So why can a person with an alt do one class with 2 accounts, get double the ACs, fill up space etc. but I as one account can't join both classes even tho the backup class always has extra space? It's makes zero sense.

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
I didn't know about challenges, but that just proves my point. If they aren't allowed in challenges, why are they allowed in flying and dueling lol? About classes, sometimes they fill up the space like i mentioned before, but also another good example - They sometimes do backup classes and if you finish with the first one before the second one starts, you aren't allowed to attend that second one. I was personally kicked from several backup classes bc I attended the first one. So why can a person with an alt do one class with 2 accounts, get double the ACs, fill up space etc. but I as one account can't join both classes even tho the backup class always has extra space? It's makes zero sense.
Part of it is honestly class rewards are just mid compared to CE events, which have collectibles that are easy to AFK for while classes take effort. Im sure PW could come up with some method of checking alts, or even just ban AFKing in CE (make them work for it at least, to keep 2 chars looking non afk is not an easy task)

Salmandingo

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Salmandingo
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire VIP Werewolf SPEW
I didn't know about challenges, but that just proves my point. If they aren't allowed in challenges, why are they allowed in flying and dueling lol?
I can't speak for other teams but specifically for Arena, they aren't allowed to go on their main & alt accounts at the same time in challenges & tournaments to prevent awkward matchups (where someone has 2 accounts on the same or opposite teams). Since Arena has an official leaderboard and it's competitive, we want to avoid having people with multiple accounts on the leaderboard as well as trying their luck with different accounts in dueling brackets.

Ivan_

Professor
Part of it is honestly class rewards are just mid compared to CE events, which have collectibles that are easy to AFK for while classes take effort. Im sure PW could come up with some method of checking alts, or even just ban AFKing in CE (make them work for it at least, to keep 2 chars looking non afk is not an easy task)
Yes, obviously the CE advantage is way bigger but that doesn't make alts in classes any better. And for the afk thing, Idk as people do go afk normally, especially once you're done with the tasks. Adding a rule simple as "Don't join classes and other events with more than one account" seems like a easier solution to me.

Ivan_

Professor
I can't speak for other teams but specifically for Arena, they aren't allowed to go on their main & alt accounts at the same time in challenges & tournaments to prevent awkward matchups (where someone has 2 accounts on the same or opposite teams). Since Arena has an official leaderboard and it's competitive, we want to avoid having people with multiple accounts on the leaderboard as well as trying their luck with different accounts in dueling brackets.
Even if we ignore all the things you mentioned (which are good reasons ofc, but not the only ones imo) and let's say the alts were allowed, it's could be abusable just bc I could get extra 5 ATs for joining with another account.
Also the matchup thing you mentioned is still an issue in dueling or flying. For example, some people could have alts in different houses, and have two chances to fly/quality or for example in dueling, you could have an alt that's different year, and win extra HPs like that. Theoretically, I could have an alt in each year and have 8 chances to win HPs (obviously this is a reach, but it's still a possibility that I dont think should be allowed)

EdenLovesMommy

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: EdenLovesMommy
Auralock Dark Follower Raven
Even if we ignore all the things you mentioned (which are good reasons ofc, but not the only ones imo) and let's say the alts were allowed, it's could be abusable just bc I could get extra 5 ATs for joining with another account.
Also the matchup thing you mentioned is still an issue in dueling or flying. For example, some people could have alts in different houses, and have two chances to fly/quality or for example in dueling, you could have an alt that's different year, and win extra HPs like that. Theoretically, I could have an alt in each year and have 8 chances to win HPs (obviously this is a reach, but it's still a possibility that I dont think should be allowed)
I will say for the flying I can get that bc I used to do it all the time and if I messed up on my main I would be able to make finals on alt.

Yellow_Flower

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: TheVirgoKid101
Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent Vampire
Is it okay to join if you're just on your alt, and you don't have your main in class? Because I'd rather have my level 30 alt in class than my level 80 main, but I only use the alt in the one class. That's allowed right?

TallBlondeDude

Librarian
Is it okay to join if you're just on your alt, and you don't have your main in class? Because I'd rather have my level 30 alt in class than my level 80 main, but I only use the alt in the one class. That's allowed right?
yep thats totally fine <3 the idea is just multiple at a time is bad

Ivan_

Professor
As of right now, everything is allowed. As Tall said, my suggestion is about having 2+ accounts in one class or whatever, at the same time.

frogwings

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: frogwings
Raven
I feel like banning alts completely would be pretty harsh (I know that's not what you're suggesting I just mean in general), but I agree that alts joining CE's especially is unfair. Like you said, they fill up so fast, and there are undeniably alts in them which take up the space for all other players. I can't think of a reason a player would even join a CE on 2 accounts if not for more gold/collectables, but as above replies suggest, it would be difficult monitor I guess. I agree that alts should be at least advised against / punishable with a warning if it is clear they are being solely used to gain more gold/collectables from CE's. Eg. frequent trades of large sums of gold, collectables, and or unobtainable/highly priced items between an alt and a main account. However, I don't agree that alts should be banned from classes. The rewards from classes don't have enough of a difference for alts to be unfair, in my opinion. I know it's possible for the ac to gold exchange to provide extra funds from an alt, but 200 gold isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things. Sure it will build up over time, but I expect it's pretty difficult to write two CW essays or the like, within the time limit, and on 2 accounts, for example. Potions and Flying are the only classes I have attended that I imagine it would be easy to gain extra gold from, but it depends on the availability of enough things that it creates a pretty narrow window for someone to be able to attend lots of Potions/Flying classes with 2 accounts loaded in at the same time, just for an extra 200 gold (plus I'm pretty sure that's not a lot at all for the majority of players with alt accounts anyway.)
I can't speak for tournaments as I haven't really participated in a lot, but I can see why alts would be frustrating,
On the whole I don't want alts to be banned, I don't think they affect other players experience enough, other than taking up space in CE. I would agree if there was a rule added to only prevent alts from joining CE, but not everything. Also I wonder how "alt" would be defined - if you played on a friends account a few times (with permission) would that be considered an alt? Or is it an account you purchased yourself? Why does the player have the alt? Do they use it for other things on the server (eg quests) too? So many questions on that front.

Ivan_

Professor
I feel like banning alts completely would be pretty harsh (I know that's not what you're suggesting I just mean in general), but I agree that alts joining CE's especially is unfair. Like you said, they fill up so fast, and there are undeniably alts in them which take up the space for all other players. I can't think of a reason a player would even join a CE on 2 accounts if not for more gold/collectables, but as above replies suggest, it would be difficult monitor I guess. I agree that alts should be at least advised against / punishable with a warning if it is clear they are being solely used to gain more gold/collectables from CE's. Eg. frequent trades of large sums of gold, collectables, and or unobtainable/highly priced items between an alt and a main account. However, I don't agree that alts should be banned from classes. The rewards from classes don't have enough of a difference for alts to be unfair, in my opinion. I know it's possible for the ac to gold exchange to provide extra funds from an alt, but 200 gold isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things. Sure it will build up over time, but I expect it's pretty difficult to write two CW essays or the like, within the time limit, and on 2 accounts, for example. Potions and Flying are the only classes I have attended that I imagine it would be easy to gain extra gold from, but it depends on the availability of enough things that it creates a pretty narrow window for someone to be able to attend lots of Potions/Flying classes with 2 accounts loaded in at the same time, just for an extra 200 gold (plus I'm pretty sure that's not a lot at all for the majority of players with alt accounts anyway.)
I can't speak for tournaments as I haven't really participated in a lot, but I can see why alts would be frustrating,
On the whole I don't want alts to be banned, I don't think they affect other players experience enough, other than taking up space in CE. I would agree if there was a rule added to only prevent alts from joining CE, but not everything. Also I wonder how "alt" would be defined - if you played on a friends account a few times (with permission) would that be considered an alt? Or is it an account you purchased yourself? Why does the player have the alt? Do they use it for other things on the server (eg quests) too? So many questions on that front.
Just to make it clear so the name of the tread doesn't confuse anyone. I'm not saying alts should be banned from the game, I'm just saying that there should be a rule about being in a certain event with more than 1 account. When it comes to classes, I named several scenarios where it's abusable. Even if we ignore all the rewards, from ACs and HPs in classes, and collectables in CEs, what is the point of being in a class with 2 accounts? There's clearly a reason why people do it, whenever it's rewards or simply having other advantages like having two tries at everything. Also, alts* don't need to be defined, you could play from 50 accounts but I'm just saying that using 2 accounts at same time in one class, CE or whatever isnt ok.
And in the end, let's flip the tables, name just one valid reason why you should be allowed in a class with two accounts?

Tori

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: AzazelAC
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I do see the pros and cons of this idea, alts, in general, give players advantages in terms of receiving multiple of the same item, such as collectibles or even getting ahead within the gold economy with event tokens that can be turned into purchase exclusives or advancing through quests. There could be a discussion on how this can be dealt with and minimized but also not completely dismissing them. (Not official response)

Last edited:

Ivan_

Professor
I do see the pros and cons of this idea, alts, in general, give players disadvantages in terms of receiving multiple of the same item, such as collectibles or even getting ahead within the gold economy with event tokens that can be turned into purchase exclusives or advancing through quests. There could be a discussion on how this can be dealt with and minimized but also not completely dismissing them.
I wouldn't call banning the usage of several accounts per class or CE - dismissing alts. Even the name, alternative accounts, says enough - they should be an alternative, not an extra/bonus account. And thank you for bringing up events, even tho this wasn't the original concept, alts allow people to get double the collectables within an event as well. It even goes as far as alts allowing you to get EVEN more unique collectables (in this spring event for example, you can choose 1 out of 5 necklaces)

Ivan_

Professor
So I went to yesterday's CE, which was also the last one for this month I think. I didn't see a single alt account - you tell me why. Just wanted to point it out