DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

don't put low years against grads in dueling class

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowgals

Magician
Minecraft IGN: lgbts
Serpent
I don't think lower years should be forced to duel higher years (especially 7th years and grads) in dueling class. We had to do this and it was so unfair - all of us got one shot when we encountered graduates simply because of the amount of damage they do and health that they have. It wasn't even dueling class, it was basically dodgeball but those of us who were lower levels didn't get any dodgeballs. This made it super unfair and not fun to participate in.

writerinthedark

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: writerinthedark
Dark Follower Serpent
i've been on potterworld since 2016 and this was the worst experience i have ever had in a class. after starting fresh with the revelius update, i was obviously no longer a graduate, and often i found myself at a disadvantage because of my level status (year 45 as of yesterday). this class was quite literally the prime example. the graduates were launching themselves around the arena, hunting all of the lower years. the only option he gave us was to hide to avoid being killed. after the announcement of this type of class, "hunger games," i said my distaste in the class chat and had several people message me telling me they agreed and wish it wasn't so unfair. if you decide to comment on this suggestion, please put yourself in the shoes of the hunted, not the hunter. potterworld is supposed to be fun! and joining a class where only the upperclassmen can win is not fun.

Last edited:

Chelsad

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: Chelsad
Dark Follower Phoenix Raven
dueling classes arent always like this! in dueling, the professor can host whatever they feel like. there’s free-for-all (in years), freeze dueling, team vs. team, etc. today, we did combined ffa. it doesn’t happen often, so i don’t think you should worry about it. i believe this is the only type of dueling that has all the years against each other.

Last edited:

Alexa Zoldyck

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: AlexShock
Auralock Dark Follower Serpent Vampire
There are many different types of dueling classes! There are also many professors who teach different styles. Tonight, Professor Cleckshock, chose to do Hunger games. This style of dueling doesn't happen very often. Every class is different based off the professor and what they have planned. Not every class will be like that. While I understand your frustration, there will be different options in class in the future.

cowgals

Magician
Serpent
dueling classes arent always like this! in dueling, the professor can host whatever they feel like. there’s free-for-all (in years), freeze dueling, team vs. team, etc. today, we did combined ffa. it doesn’t happen often, so i don’t think you should worry about it. i believe this is the only type of dueling that has all the years against each other.
There are many different types of dueling classes! There are also many professors who teach different styles. Tonight, Professor Cleckshock, chose to do Hunger games. This style of dueling doesn't happen very often. Every class is different based off the professor and what they have planned. Not every class will be like that. While I understand your frustration, there will be different options in class in the future.
I know that, my suggestion is that it shouldn’t be allowed period. It was a universal experience for the lower years in this class that we got upset when we didn’t even get a chance to duel but still had to sit there for an hour, while the grads were all saying "Lol, get good" to us in chat when we said that we were one shot. This was quite frankly a bad class experience, where the lower years felt looked down upon by staff and grads alike. Me and my girlfriend both messaged with multiple people in the class who we had never spoken to before who all felt the same way.

I’m just saying there’s a reason other dueling classes are only by year and professors specifically acknowledge this reason. I don’t think you, a graduate, understand the frustration of being forced to duel someone levels ahead of you. Different options doesn't mean we should have to settle for a, quite frankly, unplayable option. Precisely, there are different options! So why should we have to use the option that only benefits graduates – why not do the "Hunger Games" dueling style broken down by year, where it can effectively benefit everyone in the class? Or even break it down to years 1-3, years 4-6, and year 7-graduates.

See this thread where Fliiipendo specifically says that in order to be on an equal playing field, players need to have similar gear, and in order to PvP successfully players must be max level. He goes on to say that lower levels can get into dueling through dueling class (where you can duel people at your level so it's less imbalanced). The whole thread is about how lower levels don't stand a chance in dueling with the gear and spell trees that grads have.

Last edited:

Kira Frogg

Graduate
Staff
Minecraft IGN: KiraTheHouseElf
Auralock Dark Follower Staff Serpent Vampire Scribe Publisher
I understand the frustration too, but Like Lacey said, we hardly do this style. I’m not a big fan of it personally, but we still do it to add variety. It was taken out of dueling for a few weeks after the update but was shortly returned. Hunger games would take too long if broken up by different years. That’s more like the style of FFA by years. Yes it may be unfair to mix years due to gear, spell trees, etc, but challenges like that can help you improve in the long run. Also I was in that class and hardly ever saw any of Cleckshock’s friends make comments like that (I am one of his friends too). Like I feel how lower years may be upset, but it’s hard to get rid of a style that’s been played for so long. In addition, to simply say that this was the worst class experience why not give constructive feedback to the professor. If you were in their shoes how would you feel if someone said your class was bad because of a style you chose.

writerinthedark

New Magician
Dark Follower Serpent
In addition, to simply say that this was the worst class experience why not give constructive feedback to the professor. If you were in their shoes how would you feel if someone said your class was bad because of a style you chose.
It wasn't his teaching that irked me, it was the carelessness for the lower years by picking this game mode that was upsetting. Cleck's classes are always a blast. I always adore logging on at night on weekends with my girlfriend to go to his dueling classes. I was disappointed because the unfairness had never been this extreme. In theory, this style of dueling should be fun. I'm a huge fan of the Hunger Games franchise. But the lack of separation between the years is ultimately frustrating. It is not difficult to get rid of a style that has "been played for so long" if it only benefits one group of people. This leads me to believe you haven't really looked at this situation from any perspective but your own. There were a huge group of people in that class that did not have any fun. Imagine it was someone's first dueling class on the server. Their only option was to hide behind a tree while the graduates jumped around killing their peers, having 10x the amount of health they have, doing 10x the amount of damage they do. I don't think I can honestly give a reason they'd come back to a dueling class. It is impressionable.

Yes it may be unfair to mix years due to gear, spell trees, etc, but challenges like that can help you improve in the long run.
I definitely did not improve my dueling skills from hiding behind a tree hoping no graduates would find me. A "challenge" is dueling someone 2 levels ahead of you. Not 40+.

Kira Frogg

Graduate
Staff
Well I’m friends with Cleck himself and the only time he chooses this game mode is when he has things to do after class. I fully understand the level difference and how it’s unfair but we still do it. When I said we’ve been doing this style for a long time, I meant how it is a popular style not necessarily an advantage.

cowgals

Magician
Serpent
Hunger games would take too long if broken up by different years. That’s more like the style of FFA by years.
Wouldn't it take the same amount of time as FFA by years then? How would it be too long if it would take the same amount of time as another gamemode that doesn't take too long?

challenges like that can help you improve in the long run.
A challenge is dueling someone in the year above you or dueling with limitations like no area of effect spells, etc. Having to doge hits that do 100x the amount of damage as you have health is not a challenge.

Also I was in that class and hardly ever saw any of Cleckshock’s friends make comments like that (I am one of his friends too).
I suppose we often don't see what we don't want to. My chat logs don't save, but feel free to go back into yours and search "get good" or "lol" and get back to me on this stance you're taking.

In addition, to simply say that this was the worst class experience why not give constructive feedback to the professor. If you were in their shoes how would you feel if someone said your class was bad because of a style you chose.
I just gave my feedback, which is, in fact, the message that you responded to in attempt to shut down in the first place. I (and several others) also gave this feedback before the gamemode even started, but we were shut down then as well.

I don't think lower years should be forced to duel higher years (especially 7th years and grads) in dueling class. We had to do this and it was so unfair - all of us got one shot when we encountered graduates simply because of the amount of damage they do and health that they have.
why not do the "Hunger Games" dueling style broken down by year, where it can effectively benefit everyone in the class? Or even break it down to years 1-3, years 4-6, and year 7-graduates.
Again, I said it was a bad class *experience* – never did I undermine the professor's teaching style or expertise. I'm sure it was plenty of fun for the graduate students who had the tools to succeed. I gave my feedback on how I, and many others, experienced the class so that the professor (and graduate students who were fueling the fire) could understand our POV. Everyone has been so defensive from the get-go, while lower level students have been trying to explain how this feels unfair to us. It genuinely does not make me want to participate in these classes anymore because of the defensive and exclusive environment I have now perceived, and I caution that it could lead to long-term impacts on the participation levels of lower year players.

I know nobody is forcing us to go to any of these classes, but what are classes for if not for the purpose of allowing students to get AC to level up? Shouldn't the purpose of a class be to welcome students of any year so they can participate equally and have a fair chance of gaining the AC they need to work their way through the levels? A class for the purpose of getting rewards so you can get to higher levels shouldn't rely on you being a higher level, that's quite contradictory. All I'm saying is that I have a suggestion of a way to make classes more inclusive.

cowgals

Magician
Serpent
Well I’m friends with Cleck himself and the only time he chooses this game mode is when he has things to do after class.
Quality > quantity
This confuses me. Why schedule or host a class when you have things to do soon after then? This isn't specifically about the professor, anyways. It would've received the same feedback from any professor. Please do not assume this is a personal attack because it's not; it leads you to be on the defensive instead of considering things from a holistic perspective.

Kira Frogg

Graduate
Staff
Quality > quantity
This confuses me. Why schedule or host a class when you have things to do soon after then? This isn't specifically about the professor, anyways. It would've received the same feedback from any professor. Please do not assume this is a personal attack because it's not; it leads you to be on the defensive instead of considering things from a holistic perspective.
I understand that but we’re all human and life can be hectic at times. Cleck schedules his classes ahead of time so it really isn’t his fault that he actually has things to do on certain days.

writerinthedark

New Magician
Dark Follower Serpent
I fully understand the level difference and how it’s unfair but we still do it.
This is the problem. It is not difficult to stop teaching a particular way, especially when enjoyment is at stake. As I said, the whole idea behind potterworld is to be an escape from reality. It is supposed to be a home away from home.

Professors should ultimately be adaptive to the reaction of their students. And plus, the graduates are the last people who 'need' to be attending classes, considering they don't need academic credits to level up anymore. Classes should be held in a way that benefits all years and is an enjoyable experience for all years, which is the entire point behind this suggestion.

Nyn

Professor
Minecraft IGN: xNyn
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
I agree with @writerinthedark points. Kira, imagine you are a first year, going to your FIRST dueling class, spent the time waiting through the boring part (RULES), and FINALLY get to dueling when your one shot within TEN SECONDS. It's just purely unfair :/ Although i'm a grad i still suck at dueling and i either die very quick, or I hide/run around for a lot of the round THEN die xD

cowgals

Magician
Serpent
I understand that but we’re all human and life can be hectic at times. Cleck schedules his classes ahead of time so it really isn’t his fault that he actually has things to do on certain days.
Again, "This isn't specifically about the professor, anyways. It would've received the same feedback from any professor. Please do not assume this is a personal attack because it's not; it leads you to be on the defensive instead of considering things from a holistic perspective."

cowgals

Magician
Serpent
If I had said “Hey, these mobs are impossible to kill at my level but I need to kill them for a quest. Can they be nerfed?” people wouldn’t immediately react with “That’s offensive to the person who designed the mobs! They worked hard to implement them!” would they? They would stop to consider the gameplay impacts for lower level players and understand that these players want to have a good time and appreciate the gameplay that is being put together thanks to the hard work of the staff, but they need some simple accommodations to do so.

Yumei Fireheart

Notable Magician
Minecraft IGN: VetMedYumei
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf
I agree to this thread. I love dueling class no matter who's the professor is I still love it. Win or lose I accept it but I just don't like the idea of hunger games. Yes hunger games is quite cool tbh if! Only if all the students are equal. No greatly advantage no greatly disadvantage. Getting one shot is outrageous. Very sad I'd say. You know, the purpose of the class is for students to learn but not only learn but also to enjoy and having fun. That dueling style is not fun at all not even a bit. Yes we can hide all we want but there are too many grads or high years scattered around as well and this makes the hiders easily getting killed (much worst getting one-shot). No matter how you look at it, it is definitely NOT fun to duel without a proper fight.

You could just leave or not attend the class. If you don't like the idea/game mode.
Please, don't think or say this. We love to attend class. I just hope that make it more enjoyable for ALL, not only for those people above. Its unrelated but, this looks like a fight of class IRL. (High class always win because they are more powerful than the middle and low class)

You might even think, why people rant about it? They still got 10AC tho why rant?
For me , idc about AC. Matters to me is having fun. Yea i got 10AC, so what? I didn't even enjoy the class. I hate it. Idk some newbies might even think that they'll just quit it cuz it sucks. You'll never know.
----------------------

I love all professors, I also love the other dueling style such as teams, the 3 brothers, the capture the high chair thingy, the push team in one line. I love it all. But this hunger game is just not- not my thing ya know.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Signature1.png

Chriss

Dragonologist
Drooble's Order
Minecraft IGN: ChrissShock
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf SPEW Drooble's Order
Professor Cleckshock's friends were all saying "Lol, get good" to us in chat when we said that we were one shot. This was quite frankly a bad class experience, where the lower years felt mocked by staff and grads alike.
I attended that class myself and I never saw anyone say that in chat. Even if they did, it's obviously be a joke. Why would staff members mock players, like what's the point of it? They would get in trouble for doing that, I can see where grads might do it, but during that class there was no mocking.

I’m just saying there’s a reason other dueling classes are only by year and professors specifically acknowledge this reason. I don’t think you, a graduate, understand the frustration of being forced to duel someone levels ahead of you. Different options doesn't mean we should have to settle for a, quite frankly, unplayable option. Precisely, there are different options! So why should we have to use the option that only benefits graduates – why not do the "Hunger Games" dueling style broken down by year, where it can effectively benefit everyone in the class? Or even break it down to years 1-3, years 4-6, and year 7-graduates.
Of course grads now understand it because we were there too. We were level 1s just like everyone else. We worked our way up through the year and level just like you. Cleck would've done a different style if he didn't have to do school work right after it. Doing a Hunger Games style for Dueling class is a fast dueling class. I know that Cleck loves to teach classes, but we have to remember that professors have lives outside of this game and can't spend 1.5-2 hours on teaching one class.

It wasn't his teaching that irked me, it was the carelessness for the lower years by picking this game mode that was upsetting. Cleck's classes are always a blast. I always adore logging on at night on weekends with my girlfriend to go to his dueling classes. I was disappointed because the unfairness had never been this extreme. In theory, this style of dueling should be fun. I'm a huge fan of the Hunger Games franchise. But the lack of separation between the years is ultimately frustrating. It is not difficult to get rid of a style that has "been played for so long" if it only benefits one group of people. This leads me to believe you haven't really looked at this situation from any perspective but your own. There were a huge group of people in that class that did not have any fun. Imagine it was someone's first dueling class on the server. Their only option was to hide behind a tree while the graduates jumped around killing their peers, having 10x the amount of health they have, doing 10x the amount of damage they do. I don't think I can honestly give a reason they'd come back to a dueling class. It is impressionable.

I definitely did not improve my dueling skills from hiding behind a tree hoping no graduates would find me. A "challenge" is dueling someone 2 levels ahead of you. Not 40+.
There really isn't anything for Cleck to do when it's an FFA, he allowed 1st-6th years to hide from the 7th and grads. Like others have said, Kira and Lacey, Cleck doesn't teach this style that often.... the last time I did this style was before the update. I could be wrong on when the last one was taught though.

Wouldn't it take the same amount of time as FFA by years then? How would it be too long if it would take the same amount of time as another gamemode that doesn't take too long?

A challenge is dueling someone in the year above you or dueling with limitations like no area of effect spells, etc. Having to doge hits that do 100x the amount of damage as you have health is not a challenge.

I suppose we often don't see what we don't want to. My chat logs don't save, but feel free to go back into yours and search "get good" or "lol" and get back to me on this stance you're taking.

I just gave my feedback, which is, in fact, the message that you responded to in attempt to shut down in the first place. I (and several others) also gave this feedback before the gamemode even started, but we were shut down then as well.

Again, I said it was a bad class *experience* – never did I undermine the professor's teaching style or expertise. I'm sure it was plenty of fun for the graduate students who had the tools to succeed. I gave my feedback on how I, and many others, experienced the class so that the professor (and graduate students who were fueling the fire) could understand our POV. Everyone has been so defensive from the get-go, while lower level students have been trying to explain how this feels unfair to us. It genuinely does not make me want to participate in these classes anymore because of the defensive and exclusive environment I have now perceived, and I caution that it could lead to long-term impacts on the participation levels of lower year players.

I know nobody is forcing us to go to any of these classes, but what are classes for if not for the purpose of allowing students to get AC to level up? Shouldn't the purpose of a class be to welcome students of any year so they can participate equally and have a fair chance of gaining the AC they need to work their way through the levels? A class for the purpose of getting rewards so you can get to higher levels shouldn't rely on you being a higher level, that's quite contradictory. All I'm saying is that I have a suggestion of a way to make classes more inclusive.
Doing a FFA Dueling classs doesn't take as long as a normal dueling class. For a normal dueling class you have to get everything set up for each year, let them duel, make sure everyone gets kicked with the correct amount of AC, make sure no one is breaking the rules in the stands, and more. For a FFA Dueling Class you just let everyone duel and kick, nothing really much to do. Even if you say, "Get good" or, "Lol" they might've been talking to the players that stick around till the end of the class and joking around because they are all friends. Like others and myself have said, Cleck was busy last night with other work that he need to get done and that this gamemode is rarely ever taught. There is also a gamemode for FFA per year, its just Cleck was busy and needed to go. Hope this helps! ;)

cowgals

Magician
Serpent
To clarify, I am confused how this became a personal defense of a professor rather than about my specific suggestion. Yes, this experience was in his class. But no, it’s not some sort of public demonstration to insult him nor his teaching. I quite enjoy his dueling classes and he does creative game modes, which is why I went in the first place. I don’t know why I have to keep repeating myself to people who aren’t even reading the actual gameplay suggestion and are instead trying to gaslight my (and others’) experiences.

Chriss

Dragonologist
Drooble's Order
Minecraft IGN: ChrissShock
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Raven Vampire Werewolf SPEW Drooble's Order
This didn’t turn into a “personal defense” for Cleck. I have read your suggestion, and I have told you that there is already a thing that is like there. There is a FFA Year style. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.