DISCLAIMER: Potterworld or Droobledore LLC is not in any way affiliated with Mojang AB, J.K. Rowling, Warner Brothers or any company, copyright or trademark.
PotterworldMC PotterworldMC PotterworldMC

Gear Changes

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Minecraft IGN: MattyPoltergeist
Serpent Werewolf
Gear has really turned Potterworld into an RPG sort of game, which is where the server said it wants to be heading. However, in my opinion, the gear itself has made Potterworld become less of a Harry Potter, magic centred server and more of something out of History (like many other RPG games). I think that gear being so powerful and over powered, deciding the fate of any duel (ESPECIALLY between a level 80 and a low level player), is silly. I do like the idea of killing mobs and getting stuff which can train your magical ability, but unfortunately, I do not agree with the fact that gear gives people SO much health. Though we all know that Potterworld is trying to become almost an independent thing with it's own systems, lore and builds, most of us have come to Potterworld for Harry Potter. Gear effecting health and duels in such a way as it does currently, is not what Harry Potter is like.
This suggestion, though, is not a suggestion to get rid of gear, it's to (in my belief) improve it. But first, I believe that giving people ridiculous amounts of health (e.g. a level 1 has 100 and a level 80 has 9000) ruins dueling and any skill aspect to Potterworld. Revelius part 1 for many people, was a large improvement, making things balanced and more accessible, gear health has stamped all over this.

Here is what I wish gear would be like:
- Gear (like old talents) would give buffs for different spell types
- Gear would give debuffs to some other spell types, making you weigh up your options
- Some gear would give you a lot more damage for certain spell types.
- SOME gear would give health buffs, mainly very high level ones and the max could be somewhere from 30 to 50.
- SOME gear pieces would give special abilities (mainly focused on by the trinket), like quicker speed or higher jumps or being able to cast some spells (not offensive) on brooms.
- A hand piece would be more focused on offence than defence but would not allow 1 shots and would only give some spell trees maybe 1.5x more damage on certain spell types, stuff like that.

Of course, all but two of these things are already done. However, the health change is probably the biggest change that could happen to gear. This would mean that a really good level 30 could beat a really bad level 80, however it wouldn't ALL be skill as the level 80 would also have good gear buffs. Making gear just about buffs and debuffs does actually have quite a bit of relation to Harry Potter mainly in the form of enchantments put on horcruxes (e.g. Slytherins Locket makes people angry, Raven's Diadem makes people more intelligent, the Elder Wand makes people stronger)
Obviously, the new gear would need a big balance with mobs however, I think if higher up mobs were given more abilities (e.g. pull ability, ranged AOE, lingering effects), it would make sure that a low level couldn't kill them (especially seen as they wouldn't have the spells or spell points to do so).

I would like to see comments on this post so we can continue the discussion too, thanks B)

(Finally, I'm not too sure about this suggestion myself, it's more about seeing what other people think about it, however imo, I do think it would be in an improvement.)

Edit: I also believe it shouldn't be called gear as gear is a very Unmagical Medieval name
Edit: Legendaries should also be made more consistent in usefulness

Last edited:

Nyn

Professor
Minecraft IGN: xNyn
Auralock Dark Follower Griffin Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
Personally, I despise gear. It has almost ruined potterworld in my opinion. I came to potterworld because of Harry Potter.

This suggestion would (somewhat), improve it for me. I dislike how much extra health you get. There's no need to have this much health if everything is balanced out anyway. Gear can also be slightly confusing (for me at least).

Metal

Magician
Minecraft IGN: metalman63
Griffin
Agreed. I think the gear system is still very early and I believe there is still quite a way it can go. Personally, I would like to see more gear acquisition through quests as current material collection, crafting, and repair costs are extreemly impractical. Armour Durability also needs to go as constant gear repair costs can really start to add up.

Nyn

Professor
Agreed. I think the gear system is still very early and I believe there is still quite a way it can go. Personally, I would like to see more gear acquisition through quests as current material collection, crafting, and repair costs are extreemly impractical. Armour Durability also needs to go as constant gear repair costs can really start to add up.
Gear repair is a small but very annoying thing to do with gear. So yes, I agree, REMOVE IT

Aviforma

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Aviforma
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent SPEW
- SOME gear would give health buffs, mainly very high level ones and the max could be somewhere from 30 to 50.

Of course, all but two of these things are already done. However, the health change is probably the biggest change that could happen to gear. This would mean that a really good level 30 could beat a really bad level 80, however it wouldn't ALL be skill as the level 80 would also have good gear buffs. Making gear just about buffs and debuffs does actually have quite a bit of relation to Harry Potter mainly in the form of enchantments put on horcruxes (e.g. Slytherins Locket makes people angry, Raven's Diadem makes people more intelligent, the Elder Wand makes people stronger)
I truly enjoyed the systems where everyone had equivalent health much more. I'd prefer to see gear as something cool and useful, but not an overarching feature. Each gear piece should be memorable, and have it's own appeal, instead of having literally hundreds of pieces to filter through. This also matches up with Harry Potter, where most of the "gear" are legendary artifacts or something of the sort.

uselessbanana15

New Magician
Minecraft IGN: Uselessbanana15
Raven
To be honest this new update is no where near polished and feels rushed. The warpkey being replaced is... moronic.. to say the least, as it limits new and returning players (like me) from being able to do anything. The mobs are scuffed and the gear is broken. I'm dirt poor because I'm constantly having to repair my gear and buy floo powder because i can't warp anywhere and mobs that are under my level are overpowered. I love the spell trees because it actually gives me, a third year, a chance to fight things. Which leads back to OP mobs... Not much was done right with them. Designs are beautiful, especially in a little block world. But the attacks are hard to read and seem like they track your inputs, and (with little to no gear) are one hit kills even if their level is under you (most the time). My main example of this is the Threstys which can one-shot me, as a level 21 with no gear. I hope this dev team actually reads forum posts and takes suggestions into account. Leveling also seems to be a big problem. I grinded for two hours today as a level 18 to get level 19 and looked like i got close but needed to grind for another hour and a half. I'm now grinding out mods to trying and be eligible for the third year quests and I already know that after that quest is done and dusted I'll need to grind for a day and a half just to be able to do the next one. EXP gain in this server is so horrendous and you barely get any from grinding mobs you can handle with broken gear.

luckiestblock

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: luckiestblock
Honeybadger
Gear repair is a small but very annoying thing to do with gear. So yes, I agree, REMOVE IT
Yeah, 100% agree. I would like to add on that it deters you from actually fighting monsters because every bit of damage is a few bits of gold. I would also like to see the removal of the binding system. There is simply no need for it; if it is a technical limitation is some way that is understandable but other then that the binding system exists solely for you to lose gold (same with gear repair).

nathan1e

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: nathan1e
Honeybadger Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Vampire Werewolf SPEW
LONG POST WARNING: There's a TL;DR at the bottom ;)

Right, gear. I'm going to attempt to explain my opinion on the matter by replying to specific passages that have come up so far in this thread; if I feel like something is missing after that, I'll add it at the very bottom of this post.
Gear has really turned Potterworld into an RPG sort of game, which is where the server said it wants to be heading. However, in my opinion, the gear itself has made Potterworld become less of a Harry Potter, magic centred server and more of something out of History (like many other RPG games).
I would simply argue that Potterworld adding a gameplay element does not necessarily have to be a bad thing. I see a lot of things in Potterworld that, for me, really define its gameplay but have nothing to do with Harry Potter (e.g. daily riddles, hidden chests). For me personally, it doesn't really matter if a gameplay element in PW doesn't have that much to do with Harry Potter, as long as the core of the server stays Harry Potter and I think that is still the case, even with gear added. You might argue that dueling itself has shifted away from HP and more towards the RPG thing, and with that I would have to agree; more on dueling later in this post.

I think that gear being so powerful and over powered, deciding the fate of any duel (ESPECIALLY between a level 80 and a low level player), is silly. I do like the idea of killing mobs and getting stuff which can train your magical ability, but unfortunately, I do not agree with the fact that gear gives people SO much health.
If I remember correctly, the given reasoning behind the increased health is because players that have played for a long time should be able to easily defeat players that have only just joined. And I think that there's some sort of logic in that; I understand that many players would not like this, but it is consistent with the RPG sort of game that PW is trying to move towards. I've personally never been very big on dueling, I was never really good at it and therefore don't really do it (dueling classes for me usually consist of me either running around as a polar bear or me trying to die asap) and so I can't really say to what extent gear really affects dueling, but I can very much say something about the way it has been affecting PVE. For me personally, it is much of an improvement compared to prevelius PVE. I can really feel the difference when getting better gear as fighting specific mobs becomes increasingly easier with every new gearpiece I put on. I personally experience that the health that comes with gear also plays a huge role in this, so removing great amounts of health for PVP would also heavily affect PVE, which I do not believe to be for the best. Feel free to disagree, but that's just how I'm seeing it now.

Though we all know that Potterworld is trying to become almost an independent thing with it's own systems, lore and builds, most of us have come to Potterworld for Harry Potter. Gear effecting health and duels in such a way as it does currently, is not what Harry Potter is like.
True fact: I joined PW for Harry Potter but stayed for the non-HP gameplay elements such as the earlier mentioned daily riddles and hidden chests. Or, different example, the writing classes that almost always have a creative writing option; real Harry Potter classes would not offer a creative writing option when giving out homework to students, but it is extremely enjoyable for me to sit in a class, listen about a topic (OK you got me there, I don't always pay attention throughout notes) and then just write some sort of silly story about the topic I just heard about. The point I'm making? I don't think PW HAS to be all about Harry Potter in order for it to be open to opportunities for enjoyable gameplay.

Here is what I wish gear would be like:
- Gear (like old talents) would give buffs for different spell types
- Gear would give debuffs to some other spell types, making you weigh up your options
- Some gear would give you a lot more damage for certain spell types.
- SOME gear pieces would give special abilities (mainly focused on by the trinket), like quicker speed or higher jumps or being able to cast some spells (not offensive) on brooms.
- A hand piece would be more focused on offence than defence but would not allow 1 shots and would only give some spell trees maybe 1.5x more damage on certain spell types, stuff like that.
As I understand it and as you remark just after this, this is practically what gear already is but without the big amount of health and with more attention to what specific Gear Slots do. The problem I feel I have with the health thing is still PVE. One thing I definitely noticed was that, with lower gear, it became practically impossible to fight higher level mobs (ignoring the possibility to sit in a tree, I'm not a coward) as these mobs could one-shot you, killing you which you don't want as you'd have to pay REPAIR costs (more on that later). I believe the idea of the update was that players were discouraged from fighting mobs that are of a higher level than the gear a player is wearing. Without a big amount of health, how would you suggest this gameplay element is kept in-game? You can suggest removing that gameplay element altogether along with the big amount of health, but I would again have to disagree on that. The idea of the game is that players really have to work their way up in gear, which becomes very hard without all of that health as players would just be able to fight graduate mobs to get instant graduate gear.
In regards to what you mention about better mobility; I disagree with this. I think gear should be mainly focussed on PVP & PVE rather than mobility. It's already affecting mobility with reduced or increased charms cooldowns, and I simply already think this is crossing the line somewhat in terms of to what extent gear affects non-combat gameplay.

Obviously, the new gear would need a big balance with mobs however, I think if higher up mobs were given more abilities (e.g. pull ability, ranged AOE, lingering effects), it would make sure that a low level couldn't kill them (especially seen as they wouldn't have the spells or spell points to do so).
I feel like the way you describe it here would devalue gear pieces a lot in terms of how useful it is. Are people really going to put a lot of time and effort into getting good gear when it would only give a player a few buffs that don't greatly alter the outcome of a duel? I personally don't believe so. I've felt that, since the release of revelius, people have really been motivated to get good gear and grind for it, which I feel was exactly the aim of this; making gear as you describe it here would remove that motivation in my opinion.
Furthermore, you mention a "big balance" with mobs, but I'd say this would have to be a gigantic balance; practically everything about them would have to change, their health, their attacks and I don't know how efficient that would prove to be.

Edit: I also believe it shouldn't be called gear as gear is a very Unmagical Medieval name
Do you have an idea for a fitting alternative?

Edit: Legendaries should also be made more consistent in usefulness
Idk about this either. Yes, some gear pieces are more useful than others but that's only because there are more people focussing on curses rather than healing, therefore making legendary gear pieces that give increased curse damage more valuable than legendary gear pieces that give increased healing. I don't necessarily think this makes those gear pieces less worthy of being a legendary gear piece, but rather gives room for customisation.

Right now I kill most mobs in max 4 shots. I literally only have 1 lvl 79 common hand piece and starter gear. This is ridiculous, please change gears
What exactly is the problem here, do you feel like your gear is too unbalanced?

Personally I just wish they would disable gear and spell points in dueling, I think a lot of issues would be solved. Then again I am not much of a duelist so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
This is in my opinion the better solution if one is looking for a way to make dueling more fair while also keeping all of the coherent gameplay that I've mentioned so far. I don't think your opinion should be taken with a grain of salt but should rather be seriously looked at, in my opinion.

Armour Durability also needs to go as constant gear repair costs can really start to add up.
I feel like there is several things going on here that cause the annoyance at gear repair that I'm also experiencing myself:
- The removal of a lot of convenient ways of earning gold (parkour, daily riddle, hidden chests)
- The addition of a lot of ways to spend your gold (crafting new gear or a broom, repairing gear)
Because those 2 have been done in such an extreme way during the update I feel like the economy is slightly unbalanced at this point, as players have to spend a lot of gold that they can barely earn back when they have no quests left to do. Idk, gear repair could work when players can earn a lot of gold very easily, but as long as that's not the case, I agree that it doesn't really fit within the current gameplay.

To be honest this new update is no where near polished and feels rushed. The warpkey being replaced is... moronic.. to say the least, as it limits new and returning players (like me) from being able to do anything. The mobs are scuffed and the gear is broken.
I feel like this is a bit of an overstatement, to be frank. I completely agree with your first sentence that the new update feels no where near done and also feels rushed, as I've noticed quite a lot of things that were promised throughout the 3 months leading up to the update were not actually included. However, one should note that gameplay such as gear requires actual testing on a huge scale, especially when said gear includes over 1000 original gearpieces. I don't think it was ever possible for the staff team to fully test this so there were always going to be unbalanced aspects to this newly released feature, so I don't really think it's justified to attack the update itself based on something that needed polishing through the experience of players.
I don't think the new warpkey bag limits anyone from doing anything, it just makes it harder to do. However, I have found that with the right resources it is possible to still do whatever you want in matter of minutes at the very maximum.

I'm dirt poor because I'm constantly having to repair my gear and buy floo powder because i can't warp anywhere and mobs that are under my level are overpowered. I love the spell trees because it actually gives me, a third year, a chance to fight things. Which leads back to OP mobs... Not much was done right with them. Designs are beautiful, especially in a little block world. But the attacks are hard to read and seem like they track your inputs, and (with little to no gear) are one hit kills even if their level is under you (most the time). My main example of this is the Threstys which can one-shot me, as a level 21 with no gear. I hope this dev team actually reads forum posts and takes suggestions into account. Leveling also seems to be a big problem. I grinded for two hours today as a level 18 to get level 19 and looked like i got close but needed to grind for another hour and a half. I'm now grinding out mods to trying and be eligible for the third year quests and I already know that after that quest is done and dusted I'll need to grind for a day and a half just to be able to do the next one. EXP gain in this server is so horrendous and you barely get any from grinding mobs you can handle with broken gear.
First of all: you don't necessarily have to use fire dust in order to get around; you can easily walk to places, it just takes a bit longer. Furthermore, I don't necessarily think there is much wrong with the stuff you are describing here. Yes, it takes a while for you to get better gear as you really need to grind for it, but I think that's what this update has been all about: really giving players a reason to grind the game. I remember before the update, the only reason I would ever go to the wilderness to fight mobs was if I either:
1. Needed a specific mob drop for professions that was not on the market (but once I completed all professions, that just went away)
2. Wanted to do the mob hunt daily activities (but this barely happened)
Right now however you really have a reason for fighting mobs; their general drops allow you to craft new and better gear or a broom and mob drops are, as far as I've seen so far, currently the quickest way of earning gold. I personally think it's much better that it takes a while for you to play through the game rather than be able to play through it within several days, because it really gives you a reason for playing and for staying on the server.

TL;DR
I think that gear in itself is a good system for PVE, but I understand that it causes dissatisfaction among duelists. I personally feel like the best way of fixing that would be to have gear and spell points not influence duels, just like luckiestblock suggested. Furthermore, I feel like gear repair does not really fit well into the server right now, given that so many ways of earning gold have been removed.

MattyPoltergeist

Professor
Minecraft IGN: MattyPoltergeist
Serpent Werewolf
Okay, so I do understand what you're saying completely but I do have a few things to add one or dispute.
The problem I have with gear and the RPG factor is that I can find that in many servers and many many games outside of Minecraft. I feel the main difference between you and me which is causing to have these different opinions is the fact that I'm on Potterworld as it's the best Harry Potter server and you're on Potterworld because of a whole combination of other things. In the Harry Potter universe, my favourite thing about the movies is the dueling, and RPG and Harry Potter don't go together. RPG is a very specific kinda play style that has to be with a specific kinda genre etc and I don't think Harry Potter is this. Dueling in Harry Potter has never been about just a year 3 one shotting a year 1. Harry Potter was far more capable at dueling than most people in the 2 years above him while in Dumbledore's Army. All the dueling potential and balancing that was brought with Revelius Part 1 just seems to have been completely stamped on and it's a huge shame as Revelius Part 1, in my opinion was REALLY good. I loved the fact that Zorino (a year 4) could kill me (a graduate) in a duel, due to pure skill. It's this kind of skill and precision that I dueled for. Though you think that it's a nice thing to be able to progress with gear, I love to be able to progress with skill. Gear isn't skill. Potterworld is a fantastic Harry Potter server and the dueling you got there was unlike anything you could get anywhere else but now it's just like dueling out of any RPG, skill is based on gear. Harry Potter has barely anything to do with Gear in the first place, nevermind gear that allows you to 1 shot someone and have thousands more health than them because the fact is that dueling should not require being the highest level but instead it should be the highest skill. In my opinion, the best dueling experience would be dueling where you can use potions, cooking, gear and everything in a duel and it still be POSSIBLE to win for the other person. Pre-Revelius, I brought a STACK of healing plants into a duel with Magma, used them all up and died. Obviously, I think plants potions and gear should have a bit more effect than what I just mentioned. Removing gear from dueling would just make people like me, who mainly duels, just not care about gear one bit... why should I? I don't particularly love grinding mobs 24/7. And if gear is removed in dueling this causes HUGE breaks with Spell Points as Spell Points are meant for people with level 80 gear so then they'd have to choose whether they want Spell Points to be for high level mobs meaning they'd like 4 shot a player or make it so Spell Points are for dueling, meaning they'd do like nothing against a mob. In my opinion, gear should be more like talents, just with more variety and options and ways to maximise your POTENTIAL. Something like Magical Enhancements or smth would be better but I'm not too sure, I just think gear is a very odd and non-Harry Potter name,

Also thanks for replying to the suggestion v nice

Nyn

Professor
Okay, so I do understand what you're saying completely but I do have a few things to add one or dispute.
The problem I have with gear and the RPG factor is that I can find that in many servers and many many games outside of Minecraft. I feel the main difference between you and me which is causing to have these different opinions is the fact that I'm on Potterworld as it's the best Harry Potter server and you're on Potterworld because of a whole combination of other things. In the Harry Potter universe, my favourite thing about the movies is the dueling, and RPG and Harry Potter don't go together. RPG is a very specific kinda play style that has to be with a specific kinda genre etc and I don't think Harry Potter is this. Dueling in Harry Potter has never been about just a year 3 one shotting a year 1. Harry Potter was far more capable at dueling than most people in the 2 years above him while in Dumbledore's Army. All the dueling potential and balancing that was brought with Revelius Part 1 just seems to have been completely stamped on and it's a huge shame as Revelius Part 1, in my opinion was REALLY good. I loved the fact that Zorino (a year 4) could kill me (a graduate) in a duel, due to pure skill. It's this kind of skill and precision that I dueled for. Though you think that it's a nice thing to be able to progress with gear, I love to be able to progress with skill. Gear isn't skill. Potterworld is a fantastic Harry Potter server and the dueling you got there was unlike anything you could get anywhere else but now it's just like dueling out of any RPG, skill is based on gear. Harry Potter has barely anything to do with Gear in the first place, nevermind gear that allows you to 1 shot someone and have thousands more health than them because the fact is that dueling should not require being the highest level but instead it should be the highest skill. In my opinion, the best dueling experience would be dueling where you can use potions, cooking, gear and everything in a duel and it still be POSSIBLE to win for the other person. Pre-Revelius, I brought a STACK of healing plants into a duel with Magma, used them all up and died. Obviously, I think plants potions and gear should have a bit more effect than what I just mentioned. Removing gear from dueling would just make people like me, who mainly duels, just not care about gear one bit... why should I? I don't particularly love grinding mobs 24/7. And if gear is removed in dueling this causes HUGE breaks with Spell Points as Spell Points are meant for people with level 80 gear so then they'd have to choose whether they want Spell Points to be for high level mobs meaning they'd like 4 shot a player or make it so Spell Points are for dueling, meaning they'd do like nothing against a mob. In my opinion, gear should be more like talents, just with more variety and options and ways to maximise your POTENTIAL. Something like Magical Enhancements or smth would be better but I'm not too sure, I just think gear is a very odd and non-Harry Potter name,
To be very simple, I agree with Matty pretty much 100%.

I came to PotterWorldMC because it's Harry Potter. I was never that good in dueling, but I still got the occasional kill and I stood a chance. Even at a reasonable level I can be easily killed in duels, which I honestly found funny tbh. But I can almost 1 shot a lower level if I have good gear and it is just completely wrong. Say I (a lvl 75) was dueling a lvl 21. I have better gear than them, but am rubbish at dueling - they have lower level gear which isn't so good, but could be one of the best duelists. I would win and it's totally unfair.

I know it might be weird reading something where their complaining about being able to win at something, but it never bothered me being rubbish at dueling.

Scoobydoolego

Graduate
Minecraft IGN: Scoobydoolego
Honeybadger
I haven't dueled since the update, but from what I've heard it sounds like certain spells can 1-2 shot people, and it really comes down to who hits them first. I personally like the idea of gear, but I think the execution leaves some to be desired. I don't think duels should be decided by who has better gear; I think gear should allow players to change playstyles. If they enjoy using transfiguration spells, they can give a buff to them, or they can increase their health and healing if they enjoy a tankier playstyle. I haven't played much of the update since I've been away from home, but when I left I have around level 60 gear, and I could do about 5k with a Meteorum. Only some of my gear buffed Transfiguration damage. Considering that the average level 80 player should have around 10k health, that means that if I were to get better gear, I could 1-2 shot that player. This brings back flashbacks of the Meteorum-meta back at the release of the Exploration Update, which I think leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many long-time duelists. I really like your idea of making gear less decisive in a duel, but I think that perhaps the other bonuses could stay in the regular world while fighting mobs, so that low-level players can't kill mobs and get high-level gear.

Aviforma

Animorphus
Minecraft IGN: Aviforma
Auralock Dark Follower Phoenix Serpent SPEW
I haven't dueled since the update, but from what I've heard it sounds like certain spells can 1-2 shot people, and it really comes down to who hits them first. I personally like the idea of gear, but I think the execution leaves some to be desired. I don't think duels should be decided by who has better gear; I think gear should allow players to change playstyles. If they enjoy using transfiguration spells, they can give a buff to them, or they can increase their health and healing if they enjoy a tankier playstyle. I haven't played much of the update since I've been away from home, but when I left I have around level 60 gear, and I could do about 5k with a Meteorum. Only some of my gear buffed Transfiguration damage. Considering that the average level 80 player should have around 10k health, that means that if I were to get better gear, I could 1-2 shot that player. This brings back flashbacks of the Meteorum-meta back at the release of the Exploration Update, which I think leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many long-time duelists. I really like your idea of making gear less decisive in a duel, but I think that perhaps the other bonuses could stay in the regular world while fighting mobs, so that low-level players can't kill mobs and get high-level gear.
gearless dueling? i made a suggestion for that https://potterworldmc.com/threads/make-dueling-gear-free.4950/